Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great house revival. RTÉ 1, Sunday 9pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

mloc123 wrote: »
    They mentioned they were going to seal them.. maybe PVA or similar

I typed pva and it autocorrected it to pic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

I thought the steel staircase needed a bit more detail, was just a bit too form and function, perhaps have plasma torch cutouts going up the balistrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

stoneill wrote: »
    I thought the steel staircase needed a bit more detail, was just a bit too form and function, perhaps have plasma torch cutouts going up the balistrades.

Lets call a spade a spade, the metal stairs looked sh1te. I agree that it might have looked better with cutouts in the sides of the stairs.

Bit of a stretch too including that building in a programme called The Great House Revival. They did a nice enough job on it but it hardly qualifies as a great house. The first programme in the series was excellent, a truly great house. The second one was ok. The one last Sunday was nowhere near a great house, it was just a typical renovation job.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I still think its great that people are willing to restore these old ruins. I prefer to have them restored. My brother had a 200 year old cow shed at the back of his house and has left it fall apart. My parents used to white wash the walls and take great pride on the up keep of this building. The roof has since collapsed. I really despise him for leaving this go to wreck and ruin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade, the metal stairs looked sh1te. I agree that it might have looked better with cutouts in the sides of the stairs.

Bit of a stretch too including that building in a programme called The Great House Revival. They did a nice enough job on it but it hardly qualifies as a great house. The first programme in the series was excellent, a truly great house. The second one was ok. The one last Sunday was nowhere near a great house, it was just a typical renovation job.

At this rate the last episode will be somebody adding an ensuite to a room in a bungalow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just catching up on this now.

Very much like a (poor) RTI imitation.

A house a few metres from a main road would drive me NUTS! (and I'm a Dub) You can triple glaze all you like (still haven't got to the end to see if that actually worked) but then you can never open a window for the rest of your life? :confused:

The fad for leaving walls exposed puzzles me. Those walls were intended to be plastered, and were plastered. If they were going to remain faithful to the original, I'm not sure exposed brick and stone would be appropriate.

And the shots at the start of yer man with his pickaxe scraping at the floor were just ridiculous. As if he'd make any appreciable difference to the amount of work that had to be done (ie rip the place apart, basically)!

BattleCorp wrote: »

Agree with all of this (esp the metal stairs looking sh1te! Jaysus, they were ugly).

Still haven't managed to see the first one of the series, but the contrast between last week's and this one is immense.

And I'm starting to go right off Hugh as presenter. Far too slooow and deliberate and pedantic. Dare I say, I find myself hankering after one D. Bannon :eek:

I'd kill that fella if I was his wife! Seems to be totally addicted to the process, and seems to have no interest in actually finishing the project and having to cut ties with his baby!

"and a nice bit of concrete" :D

Anyone else think it a shame they didn't keep the original entrance? Although I suppose with the living area at the rear it would have upset the flow of the house.

My initial reaction to the old bit of the building was "wow" - but it's all a bit regimented looking. A nice nod to the old schoolhouse function of the building - but I'm not sure I could live with that as kitchen/dining room.

Overall a bit meh for me. Last week's was a vastly more interesting project.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

I adore this programme but wasn't bothered by tonight's show. The first two houses were amazing + fascinating watching the renovations over a number of years on ridiculously small budgets for size of houses. This week's one was basically room to improve without Dermot Bannon. Those metal stairs were the most hideous thing I have ever seen.

Hope the programme is back to its best next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It seems to just skip a lot near the end of the shows and just go to finish.
    This we started with and this now kind of thing.
    It's like it was planed two episodes for each house but was changed to only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I loved that the split level step/wall was used as a bench for the dining table.

The voice over at the start does refer to all kinds of neglected buildings.
    They did do a lot of work themselves, but still had a very healthy budget. I think I spotted a safe in the WIW!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Untitled Folder

Really enjoyed this episode, nice to see the completion of what appeared to be an entire project. 200k seems quite modest for what was acheived. I drive by it regularly, it looks absolutely beautiful.

Thought the stairs were cool, like a piece of sculpture.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

On catch up. Lovely couple. Terrible stairs-felt they knew that they had a mistake with it. Did well to be sub 200k

Huge potential. Going to need budget x lots

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really growing to love this series. Lovely pace and the building is centre to each story.

Love Hugh’s presenting style

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Wow... The cottage is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I like this. Very low key intervention

Well done Irene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Its a lovely gentle home . I like how supportive Hugh is and doesn't push his thoughts on people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its a lovely gentle home . I like how supportive Hugh is and doesn't push his thoughts on people

I just can't think what or who you're referring to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Last night's programme was just delightful. The homeowner - Irene - was such a lovely woman (with a great eye, it must be said - the finished home was beautiful). And what a location for the cottage - absolutely stunning! I hope she and her family have years and years of enjoyment in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Just watched it now. Fantastic episode one of my favourites from a great series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Is that it?

Lovely last episode there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lovely job on that cottage alright.

Think it's a 6 episode season Franz, there's a farmhouse and a medeival castle to go yet.

That was a job and a half she got done for 100K :eek:

Delighted for her, it's a gorgeous house in an amazing location. Fair play.

honeybear wrote: »
    Love Hugh’s presenting style
    And the more I see of this series, the more it grates on me! Not a fan at all, but doesn't take from the series which is fantastic.

Do I remember people saying the first one was worth seeing? That's the only I haven't caught up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And the more I see of this series, the more it grates on me! Not a fan at all, but doesn't take from the series which is fantastic.

Do I remember people saying the first one was worth seeing? That's the only I haven't caught up on.

First one and the cottage are both fantastic. Other two are good but in the same league for what they did and the end product in my opinion

• Advertisement

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    First one and the cottage are both fantastic. Other two are good but in the same league for what they did and the end product in my opinion

First one is dreamy

Advertisement