Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great house revival. RTÉ 1, Sunday 9pm

Options
  • 06-05-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching?

I’m prepared to drool at fabulousness ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Did they say the bought it for 80K. If so it was a steal for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Joined late , where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Joined late , where is it?

Co Mayo

Mayo, didnt pick up the name of the town

Ballinafad House in Co. Mayo.

• Advertisement

Only disadvantage I can see to this program is that I don’t see how they can even be nearly finished by the end of the show... I need the closure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Who wants to be a millionaire is over, we'll all pile on in here in half an hour on the +1

Ah stop it’s truly amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Unbelievable. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Loved this show

• Advertisement

Cortecs wrote: »
    Unbelievable. Amazing.

It’s miraculous , I’m all outta words

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What an achievement !

Wonder how much is done

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

A good RTE programme. Who'd have thunk it. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

James 007 wrote:
    Did they say the bought it for 80K. If so it was a steal for that.
    Yes, 80,000 in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nothing phases yer man - cool as ice!. 500k - some serious work done for that.
    Really shows up the prices paid for an extension on room to improve as complete rip offs.
    No wedding venue I was ever in would be half as nice as that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That was VERY impressive! Well done to Bede.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not very gone on old houses, but really, tipping my hat, to this guy. He has an uncanny feeling for the work. Both in the detail and the overall vision.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

That house had been vacant for years. A lot of work done

enricoh wrote: »
    Really shows up the prices paid for an extension on room to improve as complete rip offs.
    You really cant say that. He is an experienced cabinet maker and he did all the sash windows himself with a guy the he trained up. That saved a 1/4 of a million alone. Never mind the parque flooring, he reinstated that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Poor lad looked absolutely wrecked by the end of the program. I'd say he worked night and day to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

They did a lovely job and the income from the show would have helped but to have as a wedding venue in the part of the country.

Read the wedding forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Is it available on the player? I can't see it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

enricoh wrote: »
    Really was amazing.
    A total labour of love.
    The sacrifices he made.
    If they ever open it to the public for something other than weddings, I'll definitely support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Addle wrote: »
    Really was amazing.
    A total labour of love.
    The sacrifices he made.
    If they ever open it to the public for something other than weddings, I'll definitely support it.

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said that he wasn't in it for the money. He'll never get his money back out of it from weddings and functions. The only way he might get his money back is if he sells it.

Fair play to him though, he did an amazing job. He got an amazing amount of work done for the money that he spent. It's a crying shame that so many of those houses were let fall into ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hugh Wallace was incorrect when he stated, many of these houses were burnt in the civil war, or as a sort of retaliation or cleansing.
    It was during the War of Independence. An order was sent out from Dublin to have these large houses burnt. The purpose was, so that the Crown forces would not use them as barracks, in the countryside. The families were always evacuated, prior to burning. It was sad, but done as a specific policy.
    Just to correct the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭baldbear

Water John wrote: »
    Hugh Wallace was incorrect when he stated, many of these houses were burnt in the civil war, or as a sort of retaliation or cleansing.
    It was during the War of Independence. An order was sent out from Dublin to have these large houses burnt. The purpose was, so that the Crown forces would not use them as barracks, in the countryside. The families were always evacuated, prior to burning. It was sad, but done as a specific policy.
    Just to correct the record.

Around 200 were burnt during the civil war. It was a terrible stain on our history. Destroying beautiful buildings & some sectariansism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Is there much land with the property?

honeybear wrote: »
    Is there much land with the property?

7.19 acres, I cant believe he bought it for 80k back then. Of course no one would of touched it as it would of cost a dime to do it up.

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/ballinafad-college-belcarra-ballinrobe-mayo/2482516

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

While I enjoyed the show, I couldn't warm to Hugh Wallace as presenter/ voice over. While he knows his stuff, he didn't have a passion like say Francis Brennan or Dermot Brannon. His voice over was mono tone also.

Advertisement