Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great house revival. RTÉ 1, Sunday 9pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Wish my own house had more original features, one pine tongue and groove I managed to rescue everything else ripped out in the sixties. (its on the 1847 os map)

Like last week, Owner is very likeable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tskk wrote: »
    Another question! Did they say how much he bought it for?

Thought they said he had a mortgage of 245k didn't say what he paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

I hope he finishes it... The work seems very slow moving so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Jeff2

To take the soft plaster of the walls you just use a shovel but cover the floor in plastic to stop it going under the floor boards but lm sure they will be coming up anyway.

Surely there's some kind of lite sandblaster
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

18 sherrard street upper. Bought in 2013 for 235k according to PPR. He got a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fair play to Murray and he worked so hard . To each his own but I would hate to live in it . It looks so dull and uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Although not to my taste, it looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Well done Murray, I especially loved the petrol blue bedroom..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I love the astectic but where did he hide the radiators?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I actually don’t mind the paint colours. I really don’t like dark woods though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holy moly, he did a great job with that kitchen!

The house they showed earlier, and one of the Home of the Year entrants a couple of years ago (they may have been the same house! but I don't think so) had those megamodern kitchens shoehorned into beautiful rooms, which I HATE.

He has really found a brilliant compromise. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Delighted for him. Not my style but loved the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,845 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

He did a great job , love the character of the house being kept , well done !

18 sherrard street upper. Bought in 2013 for 235k according to PPR. He got a bargain.

Yeah but it's still sharrard Street.
    That's the reason for the price.

Great job he did but I don't like dark colored rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

That's what I was wondering, too.
    Probably not within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

The cooker opening to the side of the kitchen cabinets was a bit of a gimmick to be honest. The modern sink wasn't hidden, the hob wasn't hidden, but the fridge must be? It's better to be clear about what's modern and what isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Fair play to Murray, budget wise. I watched an episode of Grand Designs (Isle of Wight) where the House build ended up costing over 3 million which the owners didn’t have. They used the most expensive materials. House was stunning but don’t know whether they’ll be able to enjoy it -think they took out 11 loans!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

He didn't put them in. He didn't have the budget to install a heating system so is "doing without for now" in the hope that the wood burner in the lower floor would radiate heat upwards throughout the house.

I thought the "kitchen" was farcical tbh. I'd hope that oven wasn't connected as it certainly wasn't sitting flush with the cabinetry.

An awful lot of work left to be done in that renovation. He should have an amazing house in about 10 years time when he finishes all the work but at the end of the day, it'll still be in a location few would want to live in and even fewer would contemplate raising kids in so I'm not so sure of the "value for money" he was talking about. 235k for the property, who knows how much for the original structural work / windows etc (I'd hazard a guess of 15k or so for the windows alone) and he threw another 50k or so at it during the filming of the program. He'll be up on half a million by the time everything is done and you'd have to wonder if he get that for the property given where it is, and the decoration being a fairly niche taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Sleepy wrote: »
    He didn't put them in. He didn't have the budget to install a heating system so is "doing without for now" in the hope that the wood burner in the lower floor would radiate heat upwards throughout the house.

I thought the "kitchen" was farcical tbh. I'd hope that oven wasn't connected as it certainly wasn't sitting flush with the cabinetry.

An awful lot of work left to be done in that renovation. He should have an amazing house in about 10 years time when he finishes all the work but at the end of the day, it'll still be in a location few would want to live in and even fewer would contemplate raising kids in so I'm not so sure of the "value for money" he was talking about. 235k for the property, who knows how much for the original structural work / windows etc (I'd hazard a guess of 15k or so for the windows alone) and he threw another 50k or so at it during the filming of the program. He'll be up on half a million by the time everything is done and you'd have to wonder if he get that for the property given where it is, and the decoration being a fairly niche taste.

I don’t know the area in question, can I ask what would be wrong with the location...high crime or just run down in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

North Inner City Dublin. It's a bit of a social housing ghetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sleepy wrote: »
    He'll be up on half a million by the time everything is done and you'd have to wonder if he get that for the property given where it is, and the decoration being a fairly niche taste.

He can always make a few quid from the big ****-off advertisement on the side of the building!

There did appear to be a decent sized garden with lane access also, which he could probably build on or sell a portion of as a mews site.

I pretty much hated his taste but he did a pretty remarkable job for the budget he had and he did seem to be doing everything above-board with heritage officer approval and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Was that iron staircase stuck in front of a window?
    I couldn’t see, the camera angle was always from behind, never showed the window head on.
    Also, what did they do to it to stop it rusting? the staircase, I mean.
    I preferred the other two episodes. This reminded me to much of Dermot Bannons program.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Seems to be like Room to Improve but with no budget limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    Was that iron staircase stuck in front of a window?
    I couldn’t see, the camera angle was always from behind, never showed the window head on.
    Also, what did they do to it to stop it rusting? the staircase, I mean.
    I preferred the other two episodes. This reminded me to much of Dermot Bannons program.
    Yep, but it looked like an internal window between the school & new extension. Looked horrible when first fitted, but didn't stand out too much at all with everything else in place at the end.

I haven't seen the 1st two episodes but this most definitely had a RtI vibe to it.

They must threat those plan brick walls with pic or something or the would be dust everywhere.

Turned out well but over priced for where it is IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Yes, I had wondered what he would have built down there with the same money on a fresh site.
    Also, with the previous 2 episodes, you could see at the e nd of the program how and what had been restored.
    With this I didn’t think the same had been achieved. Only the outside indicated that it was an old school. The walls and the stove were all that remained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

What could they do with that site really. Still some amount of road noise sitting out the back and then overlooking the cemetery. but didn't seem to bother them too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jeff2 wrote: »
    They must threat those plan brick walls with pic or something or the would be dust everywhere.

Turned out well but over priced for where it is IMO.

They mentioned they were going to seal them.. maybe PVA or similar

Advertisement