Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great house revival. RTÉ 1, Sunday 9pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Birdsong wrote: »
    While I enjoyed the show, I couldn't warm to Hugh Wallace as presenter/ voice over. While he knows his stuff, he didn't have a passion like say Francis Brennan or Dermot Brannon. His voice over was mono tone also.

I agree at the start though I did warm to him as he genuinely seemed impressed with the work and the project they had undertaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I agree at the start though I did warm to him as he genuinely seemed impressed with the work and the project they had undertaken.

Hugh fan here. I liked him on Home of the Year also. No one comes close to Kevin McCloud for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I enjoyed that, but that house is one giant money pit and I'm dubious that only €540,000 has been spent to date - even allowing for the owner's input and volunteer labour. I wish them well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Del.Monte wrote:
    I enjoyed that, but that house is one giant money pit and I'm dubious that only €540,000 has been spent to date - even allowing for the owner's input and volunteer labour. I wish them well.

Agree. And I wonder how much the period furniture cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

honeybear wrote: »
    Hugh fan here. I liked him on Home of the Year also. No one comes close to Kevin McCloud for me

Ya very good presenter imo. One to watch ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

baldbear wrote: »
    Around 200 were burnt during the civil war. It was a terrible stain on our history. Destroying beautiful buildings & some sectariansism.

Many of the big houses burnt during the civil war was as a direct result of their owners having been selected as senators in the first Irish government. It was somewhat Ironic in that they were attempting to do their best given the circumstances and instead ended up getting burned out ...

Local guy here went for the Seanad at that time and only reason the house wasn't burned was that in addition he provided a safe house for the local republican forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I really feel that people like Bede should be given some sort of grant to do up properties like this one. In fairness, they’re doing us a service by protecting our heritage and keeping historical relics.
    I had just watched the Francis Brennan’s programme where they had €1million to do up a hotel in a Monaghan that seemed in relatively good nick (inside) and then Bede had €500k todo up a complete ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Agree. And I wonder how much the period furniture cost?

Could have been reproductions. I know the final rooms were beautifully presented, but they didn't look like they had huge money spent on them to me. Coat of paint on the walls and some gold furniture that could have come from anywhere. But overall he did an amazing job, I hope it works out for them.

It's amazing to think of how much of the original house remained untouched. Like they only did 3 rooms, the tip of the iceberg! That house was just ginormous. For me the best room was the ballroom/theatre. That floor!! Just stunning.

I love people like this, with vision and guts, willing to put their talents and skills to use. Fair play to Bede, he's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

It's amazing to think of how much of the original house remained untouched. Like they only did 3 rooms, the tip of the iceberg! That house was just ginormous. For me the best room was the ballroom/theatre. That floor!! Just stunning.

I think they did one third of the house, some achievement with such a small budget given the task at hand, saved a small fortune on the restoration of the windows, isn't afraid of hard work either, noting seemed to phase him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Amberjack wrote: »
    I really feel that people like Bede should be given some sort of grant to do up properties like this one. In fairness, they’re doing us a service by protecting our heritage and keeping historical relics.
    I had just watched the Francis Brennan’s programme where they had €1million to do up a hotel in a Monaghan that seemed in relatively good nick (inside) and then Bede had €500k todo up a complete ruin.
    Agree.
    We don't do anything to proactive to protect our protected structures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Addle wrote: »
    Agree.
    We don't do anything to proactive to protect our protected structures.

There is Section 482 relief - income tax relief on the expenses incurred in maintenance and restoration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Section 482 requires you to have days when the house is open to the public as well though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Section 482 requires you to have days when the house is open to the public as well though.

That's easy to do. Make it available to the public on certain days but don't tell them about it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Bit of a lazy production. A more detailed history of the house would have been nice or photos of the Blake family Did he refurbish the windows on site -if so did he have a workshop etc.? I like Hugh Wallace but any heritage programmes like this on RTE are always seem a bit lightweight to compared to the Channel 4 stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Really enjoyed the show and very impressed with the owner, loved his ingenuity to get cheap labour for the windows: hire a journeyman joiner and provide him with an aprenticeship in the restoration of sash windows (an extremely lucrative niche of the trade).

In terms of grants, depending on the local authority I believe some have heritage grants you can apply to for fund matching on specific works to properties of note (I'm hoping to avail of it myself at some stage due to living in an Architectural Conservation Area).

Any idea where we're off to this Sunday?

Think this could be a really good episode. Seems like another person with real commitment to a project

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tipp star

Beautiful house.

Budget is tiny

Budget is tiny

Yeah seems crazy. Could do with a zero on the end of his budget

Great visit to Shaw’s house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Where is this house? Missed the beginning.

tskk wrote: »
    Where is this house? Missed the beginning.

Near Mountjoy square?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Missed the start, is the house on the corner of Blessington Street Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Budget is tiny

Do what you can do and spend the next however many years doing the rest. Nothing wrong with taking your time apart from a disappointed presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Morwenna’s house

Do what you can do and spend the next however many years doing the rest. Nothing wrong with taking your time apart from a disappointed presenter.

Yeah very good point in all fairness

Lisha wrote: »
    I love Morwenna’s house

I’m with Murray-middle ground sounds nice

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

Another question! Did they say how much he bought it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Near Mountjoy square?

Looks like the corner of Blessington Street and Mountjoy Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wish my own house had more original features, one pine tongue ceiling and groove I managed to rescue everything else ripped out in the sixties. (its on the 1847 os map)

Advertisement