Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Elmo wrote: »
    This seems to me the only reason why 2FM is funded the way it is, yet 2FM culled all their old DJs in favour of new ones, who should be cheaper to employ.

Culled their old DJ's in favour of an almost exclusive female lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Elmo wrote: »
    This seems to me the only reason why 2FM is funded the way it is, yet 2FM culled all their old DJs in favour of new ones, who should be cheaper to employ.

And less knowledgeable. Would any of these 2FM DJs even know who Bill Monroe, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams or Louis Armstrong among many other greats of music even are. They may not even know of most of these names of the true greats of music. They wouldn't know music if it jumped up and bit them in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And less knowledgeable. Would any of these 2FM DJs even know who Bill Monroe, Muddy Waters, Hank Williams or Louis Armstrong among many other greats of music even are. They may not even know of most of these names of the true greats of music. They wouldn't know music if it jumped up and bit them in the face.

Ah but 2FM is the youth station ;)

As proven by Larry Gogan, Gerry Ryan etc back in the day :)

Ah but 2FM is the youth station ;)

As proven by Larry Gogan, Gerry Ryan etc back in the day :)

And this is the excuse RTE can use to play bad music: stereotype or pigeonhole people into an age group!

So, to make it easy: Daniel for the older folks, boybands and such for the youth!

Larry Gogan I'm sure does know and appreciate good music but would not have been allowed play it. Cannot imagine a man who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s golden years of early rock n roll enjoying listening to the modern trash he was employed to play somehow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

7:30pm on a Thursday evening - RTÉ 2 - The Food Chain = a programme about food distribution in the U.K., highlighting all that’s great about British food and it’s distribution.

What utter bollöx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I'm surprised they have no coverage of Electric Picnic this year either on tv or radio. Not complaining. Just saying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It was never really coverage anyway when they were there!!

It was just the RTÉ elite in a studio talking about how great they all were, with an occasional song from a band thrown in.

It was utter cringe fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It was never really coverage anyway whe. They were there!!

It was just the RTelite in a studio talking about how great they all were, with an occasional song from a band thrown in.

Or critics talking about how creatively redundant and stale Foo Fighters have become whilst bigging up Echo and the Bunnymen...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Or critics talking about how creatively redundant and stale Foo Fighters have become whilst bigging up Echo and the Bunnymen...

A lot of them, I think, are still bitter they bet heavily on Republic of Loose...
    Never mind that that band literally blew every decent chance they had.

So when Loose tried to break the states, they failed. Probably because they hadn't even made it at home.

A lot of folks STILL stinging over that. Alan Corr gave their best of album 5 stars out of five. Didn't really mention the details why the band fell apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

NoteAgent wrote: »
    All of those "comedians" are ****e.

Francis "The Viper" Higgins youtube channel is very funny and he's the one Irish comedian that does deserve the RTE platform but of course they wont give him his own show because his humour isnt in your face enough for the auld biddies out in the country to understand

Brian ormond disagrees:)

• Advertisement

John creedon does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It was never really coverage anyway when they were there!!

It was just the RTÉ elite in a studio talking about how great they all were, with an occasional song from a band thrown in.

The occasional song is always the interviewee picking up a guitar there and then. Can't have the lads needing to set up some cameras out on a stage.

Her, Eoghann McDermott, and the addition of James Patrice...

Say it with me, RTE-Instagram likes does NOT EQUAL AN AUDIENCE!

I don't give a s**t that Patrice dresses up in some dodgy costumes.... but there was many cutbacks on the ROT. Notice the winner didn't get a bouquet, and the presentation was so brief, they probably put that crap up on instagram.

The music was crap-the LLS country show crew. More money was spent on getting Eoghan, Doirreann and... James to Tralee than was spent on the actual show.
    IT was the 60th anniversary-yet it was the cheapest ROT I've seen in a long while.

The roses were a little bemused by Aslan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

A lot of them, I think, are still bitter they bet heavily on Republic of Loose...
    Never mind that that band literally blew every decent chance they had.

So when Loose tried to break the states, they failed. Probably because they hadn't even made it at home.

A lot of folks STILL stinging over that. Alan Corr gave their best of album 5 stars out of five. Didn't really mention the details why the band fell apart.

They were given every chance going too, all over RTE like a rash and championed by Dublin radio stations. I think 1.54m into this is where it started to go wrong...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ugh, that brings back some unwanted memories. There was one TodayFM presenter (probably D'arsey) back in their heyday who was infatuated with that one song of theirs with some woman who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket and just bleated into the mic about "knocking [someone]'s lights out".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Speaking of D'Arsey. I can't listen to the radio show, it's just muck. I can watch bits of the TV show only because of the slagging he gets on the threads here as it's a bit of craic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think is going on.
    Dee babes was heavily involved in getting him into RTE and considered it a major coup. I remember reading she said,' it's fantastic, sponsors are queuing up to sponsor the show, ' or similar.

It then turns out that RD is awful at both radio and especially the TV show, which is appalling.

There was a gap of about 1.5 years where the radio show had no sponsor and only got one about 6 mths ago.

Dee now knows he's sh!te but to save face she keeps him there and we pay for it. He should have his fees halved at the very least because lets face it, where would he go?
    He has been outed over the past 4 years for being exactly what he is, a mediocre 2 bit DJ more suited to a local country radio station. €450k me hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Late Late Show is back with a bang

And to launch the new series Ryan is celebrating the contribution of part time emergency services personnel in the country

It’s like 1980’s Albania

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

And to launch the new series Ryan is celebrating the contribution of part time emergency services personnel in the country

It’s like 1980’s Albania

Weekly dose of misery.

Saw advertisements for RTE's upcoming programmes. Dermot Bannon and Room To Improve, again! And just what we don't need: another wedding planner type show. Worse rather than better they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

It’s like 1980’s Albania

de star prize will be a 1981 yellow lada. tyres optional.

• Advertisement

Saw advertisements for RTE's upcoming programmes. Dermot Bannon and Room To Improve, again! And just what we don't need: another wedding planner type show. Worse rather than better they are getting.

Is Bannon not doing his own house this season?

Ever decreasing circles

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Speaking of D'Arsey. I can't listen to the radio show, it's just muck. I can watch bits of the TV show only because of the slagging he gets on the threads here as it's a bit of craic.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think is going on.
    Dee babes was heavily involved in getting him into RTE and considered it a major coup. I remember reading she said,' it's fantastic, sponsors are queuing up to sponsor the show, ' or similar.

It then turns out that RD is awful at both radio and especially the TV show, which is appalling.

There was a gap of about 1.5 years where the radio show had no sponsor and only got one about 6 mths ago.

Dee now knows he's sh!te but to save face she keeps him there and we pay for it. He should have his fees halved at the very least because lets face it, where would he go?
    He has been outed over the past 4 years for being exactly what he is, a mediocre 2 bit DJ more suited to a local country radio station. €450k me hole!

All you say is correct.

And of course, his Saturday night TV show was so bad they cut its last series short.

Yet it's coming back again this winter. Why? Dee just keeps digging that hole.

Next time she is doing contract reviews, she should get Joe Duffy, Ray D'Arcy and Ryan Turbidy in a room and tell them their next deal is €150k per year, take it or leave it.

I can guarantee they'll take it

Tell them they can head over to the UK or the US to look for work over their three month holiday

when they find it

cough

Offer them a contract for five grand more a year than they were offered abroad to keep them here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It’s like 1980’s Albania

This made me giggle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Offer them a contract for five grand more a year than they were offered abroad to keep them here

Why? Even at 150k most of them would still be overpaid

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why? Even at 150k most of them would still be overpaid

Let them go abroad and see what they are offered for their “talent”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It takes a fairly special kind of terrible to draw ire from both left and right these days but I really have to hand it to RTÉ. They really have excelled themselves. There's no way the craven BBC would ever have the gonads to run a buggy streaming service at 240p in this day and age. I really do have to hand it to them. Reminds me of vintage Youtube.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

washiskin wrote: »
    They were given every chance going too, all over RTE like a rash and championed by Dublin radio stations. I think 1.54m into this is where it started to go wrong...... ;)

Oh thank YOU!!!!

I couldn't find that clip-I remember it appeared on the Blizzard of Odd. A new band popping up on the LLS, absolutely hammered, and then forgetting the lyrics.

At the 3.20 mark he's like 'I'm sorry for forgetting the lyrics, and dropping the mic'... Oh boy.

They could have written the next 'Uptown Funk'... and most folks wouldn't have given a s**t.
    They had this huge platform to connect with Irish audiences (the LLS still had a major audience at the time, no real alternatives for many) and they BLEW it, big time.

RTE reviewed their album and it was all 'this should have been number one, and so should this...'
    And Hillary 'should have' won the election... she didn't. As even the late Brendan Grace said, when using the oft-quoted phrase, 'If my aunt had b@ll$, she'd have been my uncle'.
    Plenty of bands had less chances. I personally really was hoping the Chalets would go far.
    They split up, but the ladies formed another band that did a lot better.

Just checking some of the things on this evening on RTE 1 to 'look forward to'. Brexit-dominated news also featuring that tool Mike Pence from the former USA, A Big Week On The Farm, and (wait for it) another chance to see the great drama series Striking Out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It takes a fairly special kind of terrible to draw ire from both left and right these days but I really have to hand it to RTÉ. They really have excelled themselves. There's no way the craven BBC would ever have the gonads to run a buggy streaming service at 240p in this day and age. I really do have to hand it to them. Reminds me of vintage Youtube.

The main problem I have with RTÉ is they probably spent similar money as BBC....we end up with RTÉ player s**t and evey other station has proper service

Advertisement