Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And goofy Ryan will have a little giggle fit whilst simultaneously slapping the table after it’s been mentioned. Top notch entertainment.

i find that with dermot on today fm....dude...you're in your 40's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Paid for my first licence today. So, do I get anything nice?

What you get, is your details being put into their system, and now your card is marked. They'll hound you for the licence fee every year going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What you get, is your details being put into their system, and now your card is marked. They'll hound you for the licence fee every year going forward

Rottweiler wasn’t out when they called. Must put him out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How many weeks before, Maura Higgins gets a tax payer funded show, "Maura goes to..." or 'Maura does....". Each week they put Maura in a job or situation and see how she gets on. Quality.

Maura does....

Daithi
    Marty Whelan
    Marty Morrissey
    Des Cahill
    Larry Gogan
    the ghost of Gerry Ryan

until she eventually, like a final level on a computer game from years ago, gets to meet the final big boss and 'do' him too;

Ryan-Tubridy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maura does....

Daithi
    Marty Whelan
    Marty Morrissey
    Des Cahill
    Larry Gogan
    the ghost of Gerry Ryan

until she eventually, like a final level on a computer game from years ago, gets to meet the final big boss and 'do' him too;

Ryan-Tubridy.jpg

It that ryans cum face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

RTÉ 'reassessing everything it does' amid unprecedented financial situation https://jrnl.ie/4799084

RTE might actually have to live within their means and cut some costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTÉ 'reassessing everything it does' amid unprecedented financial situation https://jrnl.ie/4799084

I see in the comments the love Island two have split and may not appear on the late show.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/love-island-winner-amber-gills-late-late-show-appearance-in-doubt-after-rumoured-split-from-greg-oshea-38474071.html

No doubt a publicity stunt,yer man the wagon wheel guy is always waiting outside the gate if there is a cancellation however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep and good to see, Ireland is a very small market and RTE are wasting what they have trying to cover all bases not very well while doing things (or funding things) that they should have no part of - to wit orchestras and saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Interesting to see Dee coming out today saying the situation is desperate and how sad she is that the government have a 5 year plan for the "screw everyone" tax
    Instead of cutting their cloth to their measure they will have to look at what they can afford to produce over the next year. There will be so many independent producers they will not be able to support (the not so subtle hidden message), this is crunch time for the country. Can you the government really allow RTE to go bust (hell yeah)

She really is playing every card over the past few months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

We should keep RTE funded by the tax payer, do the stuff that is not profitable but culturally important.
    It should have unbreakable rules on wages.
    Ireland is a small country, not many media organisations competing for the "Stars"
    €50k per year max for ANYONE working at RTE, if you dont like it, Virgin Media, FM104, Newstalk awaits, maybe BBC or ITV will snap you up.
    But But But But But TV start get paid millions in UK! Go to the UK then!
    But But But But But Radio stars get paid millions in the UK! Go to the UK then!
    But But But But But camera operators/sound technicians get paid millions in the UK! Go to the UK then!
    Its a rinky dink operation paying way over the odds for what they produce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Funny about the camera operators, any live show or paddy's parade they've got no frigging clue, all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 32,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fritzelly wrote: »
    Funny about the camera operators, any live show or paddy's parade they've got no frigging clue, all over the place

The Sky studios in the UK have automated camera's.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/07/sky-news-sky-sports-automation-robot-cameras

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Sky studios in the UK have automated camera's.

The camera operators in RTÉ (and their union for that matter) would not allow that to go down too easily! They’d all need a perk of about €500 a day to allow the automated cameras run the show.

*The sad thing is the above statement would most likely be closer to the truth than any of us would dare to believe!! That’s how fcuked up RTÉ is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

This is just a press release to try and get government to hand them money while they wait to try and screw the general public

They have no intentions of reducing cost. If they did it is a fairly simple review. 2Fm gone, audiences are down and not going back up for how many years now? From report local radio providing a better service

All the top earners take a 20% cut...take or leave. Nobody would hire them anyway

Remove 1-2 to earner anyway and invest in new people....

We should keep RTE funded by the tax payer, do the stuff that is not profitable but culturally important.
    It should have unbreakable rules on wages.
    Ireland is a small country, not many media organisations competing for the "Stars"
    €50k per year max for ANYONE working at RTE, if you dont like it, Virgin Media, FM104, Newstalk awaits, maybe BBC or ITV will snap you up.
    But But But But But TV start get paid millions in UK! Go to the UK then!
    But But But But But Radio stars get paid millions in the UK! Go to the UK then!
    But But But But But camera operators/sound technicians get paid millions in the UK! Go to the UK then!
    Its a rinky dink operation paying way over the odds for what they produce

50k is a little unrealistic now....but you have a bit to go up to the 300-500k most of them is on.....i think a max of 250k....after that off you go....plus they have a maximum amount of people on the 250k....so let’s say they have a certain percentage, which is based on advertising that they can pay in wages....so if they don’t get advertising they fire people....simple as that....tax payer money used for content

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I would be all for cutting the amounts paid to the companies owned by Tubridy, Duffy, Darcy, Finucane etc, but then we'd have to listen to them whinge about how they can't survive on such grossly overpaid amounts.

Poor Pat Kenny still has to work aged 71 because he's a freelancer who doesn't get a huge pension. He must have the world's worst accountant if he couldn't have set up a pension contribution of his own from the hundreds of thousands he's been paid annually for the past few decades, which would have gotten huge tax relief.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/trade-off-is-between-getting-paid-better-versus-security-pat-kenny-on-why-he-has-to-keep-working-at-71-38454793.html

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Poor Pat Kenny still has to work aged 71 because he's a freelancer who doesn't get a huge pension. He must have the world's worst accountant

I know you are joking but you aren't far wrong.

Bad investments wiped out "poor" Pat.

https://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/how-the-stars-and-their-cash-are-often-parted--26685926.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Boggles wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/how-the-stars-and-their-cash-are-often-parted--26685926.html

Fighting with his neighbours did not help either.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jaysus....did not realise kenny was 71.
    He must have some repayments on the dalkey pad to have to keep working...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are right Dee

Things can’t continue like this

If this was a real world situation a chain and a big lock would be on the gates of Montrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Irish Bank shares and property. Not very smart, Pat. All assets correlated to Irish property values.

Not really, he probably kept hold of his aib shares and has made a good piece back, BOI not so mcuh

McGaggs wrote: »
    Irish Bank shares and property. Not very smart, Pat. All assets correlated to Irish property values.

Says the person in 2019

The person in 2007 this was a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not really, he probably kept hold of his aib shares and has made a good piece back, BOI not so mcuh

But then again he might not have, neither you or me have clue really, do we?

But then again he might not have, neither you or me have clue really, do we?

We don’t....hence why making assumptions on a person based on an article written in 2010 is hardly relevant

Says the person in 2019

I said this in 2006 about people investing everything in Irish Bank shares. I never really had an opinion on property, but it was never going to be properly diversified.

It's still a massive, avoidable loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Says the person in 2019

Well, in 2007, folks would say don't put money in property. There were rumblings from 2005/ 2006 and possibly before that that the property market was on the verge of collapse.
    If you invested in shares or property around that time, you would have made money, but there was an increasing risk of losing money. Not as noticable as post 2008 crash, but noticable enough to say 'hmmm.... this market isn't as surefire as I though'.

I remember my dad saying it to friends and family around 2006 (while he was ill) that he couldn't see the economy staying the way it was going. He said it up until 2007, when he passed away.

Sure enough, in 2007, we saw the early recession kicking in, with Fine Fail not announcing it until 2008...when it hit Dublin and other cities. Hard.

Well, in 2007, folks would say don't put money in property. There were rumblings from 2005/ 2006 and possibly before that that the property market was on the verge of collapse.
    If you invested in shares or property around that time, you would have made money, but there was an increasing risk of losing money. Not as noticable as post 2008 crash, but noticable enough to say 'hmmm.... this market isn't as surefire as I though'.

I remember my dad saying it to friends and family around 2006 (while he was ill) that he couldn't see the economy staying the way it was going. He said it up until 2007, when he passed away.

Sure enough, in 2007, we saw the early recession kicking in, with Fine Fail not announcing it until 2008...when it hit Dublin and other cities. Hard.

Off topic...but the “I seen it coming” is not really true, yes people expected house prices to drop but not a banking crisis with the biggest growth bank in Europe going bust and nearly bringing down Ireland and Europe at the same time....

Even with a recession nobody predicted or could have predicted the over night drop in share price of the banks....aib dropped and the advice in street was to buy as it would never be so cheap again....then the full picture came out and it dropped down to nothing with people losing more money.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

McGaggs wrote: »

Cannot understand why Pat Kenny invested in this. What part of 100% capital guarantee or no deal do people not understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pat Kenny of all people, a man who BORED us for years with programmes dedicated to the banking crisis, should know better you'd think :confused:

Advertisement