Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ten Pin wrote: »
    On Radio 1 now, RTE trying their hand at comedy...

That was Dee Forbes there telling you why you should fund RTE Staff and their families lifestyles. Coming up at 1:45 it’s Liveline with Joe Duffy, who we pay over €400,000 a year for 75mins “work”, 5 days a week, for 40 weeks of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

RTE and other 'traditional' TV services need to reform what they are at and stop shifting the blame to Netflix, etc. If people are not watching as much RTE as they used to, there is only one real reason: the content.

When the typical fare on RTE is repeats of Room to Improve, Rachel Allen, Francis Brennan, Mrs Brown's Boys, Daniel & Majella's B&B Roadtrip and so on, there is little wonder why people are not tuning in. When their home produced drama are boring and tame fare such as Striking Out, Finding Joy, Taken Down, Rebellion and Can't Cope, Won't Cope, people are going to go elsewhere. RTE News is boring and lacks depth compared to the other channels too, often focused on parochial, trivial issues.

The nineteenth-century French economist Frédéric Bastiat once wrote a satirical piece called the "candlemakers' petition," in which candlemakers request that the government outlaw windows so as to prevent the sun from competing with their industry.

That, in essence, is what RTE is up to. The likes of Amazon, Apple, Disney, HBO, Netflix, and Hulu are pouring billions into creating premium streaming content. More people, especially young people, are moving away from watching traditional TV. So the only way to keep RTE's self-serving fare on the air is to force people to pay for it even if they don't watch it.

I sincerely hope there are protests over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The nineteenth-century French economist Frédéric Bastiat once wrote a satirical piece called the "candlemakers' petition," in which candlemakers request that the government outlaw windows so as to prevent the sun from competing with their industry.

That, in essence, is what RTE is up to. The likes of Amazon, Apple, Disney, HBO, Netflix, and Hulu are pouring billions into creating premium streaming content. More people, especially young people, are moving away from watching traditional TV. So the only way to keep RTE's self-serving fare on the air is to force people to pay for it even if they don't watch it.

RTÉ is in a state, it should be told to make better content, otherwise Irish content will just be a nod and a wink and a major production every now and then.

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ is in a state, it should be told to make better content, otherwise Irish content will just be a nod and a wink and a major production every now and then.

RTE could easily fulfill its public-service remit with one TV channel and one radio station. There's absolutely no need to spend millions of taxpayers' money on imported shows like Home and Away and Grey's Anatomy that people can easily find elsewhere if they choose to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Agreed. I'd fully take part in street protests on this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I know people, that are flat out broke, paying for this joke of a license, through fear of being prosecuted. So that the likes of the useless idiots all at levels in RTE, can receive outrageous pay and pensions etc?!

I was just checking out what else my dad might be entitled to yesterday, there is also a living alone allowance, E9 a week, I think if you qualify for that, you also automatically qualify for a E2.50 week phone or "communications allowance". This will be an interesting budget. There are going to be big problems ahead , in relation to sheer madness of the rate of welfare, the ageing population and the constant increases. Say its increased an extra five hundred million a year, that 5,000,000,000 over the decade, plus interest. Its not like its a one off!!!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I know people, that are flat out broke, paying for this joke of a license, through fear of being prosecuted. So that the likes of the useless idiots all at levels in RTE, can receive outrageous pay and pensions etc?!

RTE has around 2,000 employees, and also uses the services of another 500 people who are classified as self-employed.

That's an awful lot of staff ... doing what exactly? Most of the shows on RTE are reruns or imports.

RTE has around 2,000 employees, and also uses the services of another 500 people who are classified as self-employed.

That's an awful lot of staff ... doing what exactly? Most of the shows on RTE are reruns or imports.

we are just an apathetic, spineless nation. The ones being totally fcuked, just dont make a stand! Endless charity and handouts for one group, paid for by another group, bled dry!

we are just an apathetic, spineless nation. The ones being totally fcuked, just dont make a stand! Endless charity and handouts for one group, paid for by another group, bled dry!

If Netflix wants more revenue, it has to offer quality content that attracts more customers to subscribe.

If RTE wants more revenue, it just has to convince politicians to force the public to pay more for the same old rubbish.

The difference is that nobody winds up in court or in prison because they don't want to pay for Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,571 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

“Doing what exactly?”

Screwing the public with the assistance of Government while being totally arrogant and entitled.

• Advertisement

“Doing what exactly?”

Screwing the public with the assistance of Government while being totally arrogant and entitled.

The robbery of the E160 theft for the **** you get, is actually as bad as being held up at knife point and being forced to give over the E160!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The robbery of the E160 theft for the **** you get, is actually as bad as being held up at knife point and being forced to give over the E160!

The cost is much higher that's taken from your left-over cash. How many hours do you have to work for RTE? If you are taxed at 50% you need to earn €320. But the costs do not stop with that tax there there are also grants made to RTE from general taxation (over 66s can in some circumstances and over 70s do)

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The cost is much higher that's taken from your left-over cash. How many hours do you have to work for RTE? If you are taxed at 50% you need to earn €320. But the costs do not stop with that tax there there are also grants made to RTE from general taxation (over 66s can in some circumstances and over 70s do)

320 a year?

And don't forget all the people that don't pay, your supporting them also. And the probably are paying for Sky, Netflix, Amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sitting here in A&E at the moment and RTE 2 is on. Some ad was just shown for another one of these idiotic cheap and vacuous shows (2 "bestie" friends dress each other or some such), followed immediately by a TV licence ad.

Yep, quality value for money alright!

Also is that line about how the TV license is "one of the terms and conditions of living in Ireland" just really insulting?

As if the country wasn't already like more of a business than a society these days anyway.

Oh and in a Simpsons double, the second is.. Part 2 of Who Shot Mr Burns... Which would be fine except the first one was a completely unrelated one from the new shyte catalogue. Makes sense!

Hopefully this xray gets done soon.. Not sure how much more of this I can take :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Solution is easy - everyone who spells licence with an s should be made pay it.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Solution is easy - everyone who spells licence with an s should be made pay it.

Mobile auto-correct is a curse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Finding Joy isn't being recommissioned. What a dreadful tragedy. I wonder what politically correct, poorly acted and badly written drama RTE will foist upon us next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Don't know but it will probably feature Amy Huberman. RTÉ have only given her a dozen chances so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE's Autumn line up is one big long misery slot with crap consisting of cheap tacky tv
    As if it wasn't already smashed in your face they are devoting a whole week to climate change - obviously this is a lead in to justify the tax increase next year, get on the side of the government and hope it helps bring in the entertainment tax for them sooner
    Meanwhile in other news RTE have been trying out various chairs for Tubs to sit in for the LLS because not all chairs are made equal!!! I once got a nice swivel chair off Viking Direct for 1p and still going strong

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Garbage line up pure garbage. Just a coincidence they have a week of climate change programmes in time for Fine Gaels carbon tax. Government propaganda yet again. #boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Sitting here in A&E at the moment and RTE 2 is on. Some ad was just shown for another one of these idiotic cheap and vacuous shows (2 "bestie" friends dress each other or some such), followed immediately by a TV licence ad.

Yep, quality value for money alright!

Yeah pure trash. RTE has gone downhill bigtime, it's no longer cerebral in any way, it's programming for imbeciles. I'm not seeing anything great in the below.

https://twitter.com/DoireannGarrihy/status/1164515332431724544

https://twitter.com/SeanMJourno/status/1164498288751652866

https://twitter.com/RTE2/status/1164496482386567169

https://twitter.com/RTE2fm/status/1164464461710864384

https://twitter.com/COCOcontentie/status/1164522099412803585

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

vriesmays wrote: »
    Don't know but it will probably feature Amy Huberman. RTÉ have only given her a dozen chances so far.

How about a scripted comedy starring Doirrean Garrihy and Amy Huberman?

Or a travel show starring Doirreann Garrihy and Amy Huberman.

Or a brand new afternoon show starring Amy Huberman and Doirreann Garrihy...

Or to heck with, Amy and Doirreann build houses.

Or why not kill three birds with one stone-Cooking with Amy, Donal Skehan and Doirreann Garrihy...

with guest cameos from Brian O Driscoll and Aoibheann Garrihy...

RTE, these are my ideas... but I'm willing to sell the format to you guys...

Call me, beep me, if you wanna reach me.
    ligerdub wrote: »
    Yeah pure trash. RTE has gone downhill bigtime, it's no longer cerebral in any way, it's programming for imbeciles. I'm not seeing anything great in the below.

Jesus...f**king chr**t...

Who the f**k approved those PR materials? Baz Ashmawy sticking his tongue out at you like some 'f**k you, I'm untouchable' brat..and the worse thing is, he is-once he got into RTE, he was set for life.
    The new talent... who will probably be dropped the moment RTE needs a budget cut. (They've done it in the past).

And then the advert for the Doirreann Project... That made me genuinely, genuinely f**king angry... 'big massive champagne party', while people are (allegedly) homeless. Cue cameos from overpaid plonkers (Pippa O'Connor, of course) and other s**t...

How, HOW is RTE justifying this broadcast charge?

Small consolation, but Brendan O'Connor's show is'resting'...

That Doireann Project is pure trash tv - one may think the casting couch was involved in the commissioning of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Small consolation, but Brendan O'Connor's show is'resting'...

The Cutting Edge probably has run out of guests as some of their mainstays are now disgraced!! Al Porter? George Hook? They were a big part of that, on every week! They are no longer acceptable.

Finding Joy isn't being recommissioned. What a dreadful tragedy. I wonder what politically correct, poorly acted and badly written drama RTE will foist upon us next?

This was supposed to be getting a second season but now has been cancelled. It is no loss. These Amy Hubermann dramas are very poor and I'm sure a lot of people who watched Striking Out #1 and gave it the benefit of the doubt did not do so for that drama's second outing or for FJ's first and only outing.

You can be sure there will be a few Sunday night hyped up crime dramas coming soon but none of them will be like Love/Hate. Will not watch any of them and was caught rotten by the marketing for Taken Down which was marketed as from the makers of Love/Hate and ads for it were shown during the repeats of The Handmaid's Tale #1 last October. It was nothing like either of these 2 good series but was clearly marketed to fans of them.

... But an actor from love /hate is in another new show... Must watch TV

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Garbage line up pure garbage. Just a coincidence they have a week of climate change programmes in time for Fine Gaels carbon tax. Government propaganda yet again. #boycott

You serious?

Honestly think RTE is the only media outlet going on about climate change and its just to justify a local tax?

Open your eyes would you. The whole world has been climate change mad for about 15 years now. And its really ramped up the last 5.

Yet you think its only in Ireland and its FGs fault.:rolleyes:

fritzelly wrote: »
    ... But an actor from love /hate is in another new show... Must watch TV

Love/Hate actors have been in many other shows since like Taken Down, Fair City, Rebellion, etc. but sadly not in Love/Hate #6 or a spinoff. There surely was a lot of material there for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

NIMAN wrote: »
    You serious?

Honestly think RTE is the only media outlet going on about climate change and its just to justify a local tax?

Open your eyes would you. The whole world has been climate change mad for about 15 years now. And its really ramped up the last 5.

Yet you think its only in Ireland and its FGs fault.:rolleyes:

It happens every couple of years-folks go batcrap insane, over the planet and 'WE HAVE TO SAVE THE PLANET!!!!'...but they always make a crap hand at it.

The 90s gave us Captain Planet...which dealt with the environment, as well as such topical hot topics like AIDS, and ending the fight between the Catholics and the protestants... And it was a kids show.

Not related to the environment-- but I noticed how, when Taken Down started, you had all these folks coming out of the woodwork with their 'we need to end Direct provision' bullspit. That was after the first episode... talk died down, then there was 'one' charity set up to end direct provision, and a green party candidate jumped on the bandwagon for the local elections last year (it was one of her bullet points), had one good speech where she burned Peter Casey... and she lost. (Seemed to become a media darling, but not the voter's darling).

Also...Sarah Greene's returning. Stunning looking woman, but she's only coming back because her show in America got the axe. It's a shame she doesn't get the attention that the likes of Ruth Bradley gets. I think Bradley is a seriously overused actress,but Greene outshone her in Rebellion.

Advertisement