Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The main problem I have with RTÉ is they probably spent similar money as BBC....we end up with RTÉ player s**t and evey other station has proper service

I wonder if they're trying to accommodate everyone with crap internet? That's the only excuse I could muster.

No excuse mind you-everyone can adjust settings. Just sounds like they're lazy individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I wonder if they're trying to accommodate everyone with crap internet? That's the only excuse I could muster.

No excuse mind you-everyone can adjust settings. Just sounds like they're lazy individuals.

Id sat it was more of "whats the minimum we can deliver for maximum cost?".

Which coud well be the rte slogan

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The main problem I have with RTÉ is they probably spent similar money as BBC....we end up with RTÉ player s**t and evey other station has proper service

Like fúck they do. They spend around 300 million sterling on online services alone, that is in and around RTEs total budget.

The RTE player is beyond rubbish and certainly needs to be addressed, but people need to stop comparing the likes of the BBC with RTE it's beyond daft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't imagine that their budgets are anywhere near the same as the BBC has a much larger base to draw on for its licence fee and it also has a solid catalogue of exports. RTE does have its advertising funding though.

I mean, it can't be that difficult to outsource the RTE player or hire some tech firm to establish a proper HD player. It's utterly disgraceful. It reminds of Youtube when I was still at University well over a decade ago. And then there's this crap about needing the licence to stream which is just bollix. Here, you only need it to stream if you're doing it with either live TV or BBC iPlayer.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I mean, it can't be that difficult to outsource the RTE player or hire some tech firm to establish a proper HD player. It's utterly disgraceful. It reminds of Youtube when I was still at University well over a decade ago. And then there's this crap about needing the licence to stream which is just bollix. Here, you only need it to stream if you're doing it with either live TV or BBC iPlayer.

Perhaps compare and contrast Virgin Media Player and TG4 Player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The ads make the player unwatchable anyway.
    Tried watching a couple of those shows made for the player to see what they were like,heart broken wading through ads. Maybe for a match on your phone or something, otherwise wouldn't go near it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The 240p player has ads? Of course it does.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The nepotism gets me. I was at an RTE event years ago and a set of identical twins were part of the staff. Seriously, what's the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The nepotism gets me. I was at an RTE event years ago and a set of identical twins were part of the staff. Seriously, what's the odds?
    Paschal Sheehy and his brother Sean who uses the Irish version of his surname?

sligojoek wrote: »
    Paschal Sheehy and his brother Sean who uses the Irish version of his surname?

No it was two young women, they were admin. We did have Dave and Gerald Heffernan.
    Non twins Gerry and Mike Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Oh thank YOU!!!!

I couldn't find that clip-I remember it appeared on the Blizzard of Odd. A new band popping up on the LLS, absolutely hammered, and then forgetting the lyrics.

At the 3.20 mark he's like 'I'm sorry for forgetting the lyrics, and dropping the mic'... Oh boy.

They could have written the next 'Uptown Funk'... and most folks wouldn't have given a s**t.
    They had this huge platform to connect with Irish audiences (the LLS still had a major audience at the time, no real alternatives for many) and they BLEW it, big time.

RTE reviewed their album and it was all 'this should have been number one, and so should this...'
    And Hillary 'should have' won the election... she didn't. As even the late Brendan Grace said, when using the oft-quoted phrase, 'If my aunt had b@ll$, she'd have been my uncle'.
    Plenty of bands had less chances. I personally really was hoping the Chalets would go far.
    They split up, but the ladies formed another band that did a lot better.

Compare that to Therapy? playing the LLS. A "local" band doing good (Andy lived in Dun Laoighre at the time). They were supposed to play their radio friendly hit "Isolation" but instead played "Knives". They gained thousands of fans for punking Gaybo with a chorus of "I'm gonna get drunk, come round and f*ck you up".

Sadly, that's what the Rte mantra has been towards the captive public ever since...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The first guests for the new season of the LLS have been announced this evening.

Three of them for this Friday night are from Love Island.

Guests include Greg O’Shea, Amber Gill, Maura Higgins, Aisling Bea and Sinead O’Connor.

RTÉ have also confirmed that the Late Late Toy Show will be broadcast on the 29th of November.

The first guests for the new season of the LLS have been announced this evening.

Guests include Greg O’Shea, Amber Gill, Maura Higgins, Aisling Bea and Sinead O’Connor.

RTÉ have also confirmed that the Late Late Toy Show will be broadcast on the 29th of November.

The reality TV thing is self serving. I mean you create a celebrity from nothing then make them more so by having them on the flagship talk show. Gutter 'entertainment'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Is this really the best they can do for the pilot of this season's chatshows? An ominous outlook so when 3 contestants of a useless reality show are the best they can come up with. At least, Margaret Atwood will be on for 1 show in November and that will be the only one I predict I'll be watching. Last year, it was the Mr Moonlight one.
    The reality TV thing is self serving. I mean you create a celebrity from nothing then make them more so by having them on the flagship talk show. Gutter 'entertainment'.

Exactly. This culture is invading everywhere and needs to know its place. Sure, it has an audience but it should not be forced on us all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wouldn't have thought the Late Show audience and the Love Island audience would be one and the same.

Don't know why they're still flogging it. Reality shows get forgotten a few weeks after the final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Despite all the problems she has had over the years,self created or otherwise Sinead O'Connor is a real guest.The rest are just fake.

RTE could be another name for nepotism. It is blatant that all this carry on is damaging the Irish entertainment scene and is the reason why poor fare dominates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

With the +1 & 2 channels, Home & Away and Neighbours can be seen 4 times a day. I hope they're not paying much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Paid for my first licence today. So, do I get anything nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Paid for my first licence today. So, do I get anything nice?

A 1 year subscription to Fair City.....with advertisements telling you to buy your tv license at every 10 mins of the show

Turn it off and 2fm auto starts to play with Lottie Ryan on it trying to sound like a 15 year old but in reality she is nearly 40 :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought the Late Show audience and the Love Island audience would be one and the same.

Don't know why they're still flogging it. Reality shows get forgotten a few weeks after the final episode.

Love Island had followers but it is highly unlikely they would be tuning in normally to Tubridy's show. What the producers of Tubridy's show and other chatshows do NOT realise is there are audiences for other types of things besides this out there.

Love Island had followers but it is highly unlikely they would be tuning in normally to Tubridy's show. What the producers of Tubridy's show and other chatshows do NOT realise is there are audiences for other types of things besides this out there.

It's simply filling time. They either aren't very good or simply not bothered in making a good show.
    Like RTE in general, you've small rooms of people who were handed RTE jobs expected to be creative. That's why it's crap. You've amateurs teaching other amateurs with little or no creative thought.

It's simply filling time. They either aren't very good or simply not bothered in making a good show.
    Like RTE in general, you've small rooms of people who were handed RTE jobs expected to be creative. That's why it's crap. You've amateurs teaching other amateurs with little or no creative thought.

Exactly. Sadly, these reality shows create stars out of nobodys. Who is this Maura Higgins only an ordinary person who would not be known otherwise? I predict that apart from the assumed appearance of Margaret Atwood in November on it and perhaps another 'Mr Moonlight' type court case that grips the nation featuring, all the rest of the shows will be just ex members of boybands and ex boyband managers, reality TV types, so-called 'influencers', RTE 'canteen guests' and the usual sports stars.

Exactly. Sadly, these reality shows create stars out of nobodys. Who is this Maura Higgins only an ordinary person who would not be known otherwise? I predict that apart from the assumed appearance of Margaret Atwood in November on it and perhaps another 'Mr Moonlight' type court case that grips the nation featuring, all the rest of the shows will be just ex members of boybands and ex boyband managers, reality TV types, so-called 'influencers', RTE 'canteen guests' and the usual sports stars.

Sure Twink might break the heel of her shoe or something, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

RTE were plugging Love Island all summer. Even Sean O Rourke was doing it. What's the betting "Fanny flutter" will get a mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    RTE were plugging Love Island all summer. Even Sean O Rourke was doing it. What's the betting "Fanny flutter" will get a mention?

And goofy Ryan will have a little giggle fit whilst simultaneously slapping the table after it’s been mentioned. Top notch entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

A 1 year subscription to Fair City.....with advertisements telling you to buy your tv license at every 10 mins of the show

Turn it off and 2fm auto starts to play with Lottie Ryan on it trying to sound like a 15 year old but in reality she is nearly 40 :P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Can I get a refund?

That doesn’t sound too interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Can I get a refund?

That doesn’t sound too interesting.

All sales are final
    Caveat emptor

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And goofy Ryan will have a little giggle fit whilst simultaneously slapping the table after it’s been mentioned. Top notch entertainment.

he's giving the people what they want, the only trouble is that probably 98.5% of the people that watched Love Island and know who it's contestants were, won't be watching the Late Late show tonight, or ever probably!!

Wasn't Love Island on during the week? Chances are it's audience won't be sitting in of a Friday night.. (Do they still repeat the Late Late on a Monday night? that's where they'll earn their viewership!!!!)

• Advertisement

How many weeks before, Maura Higgins gets a tax payer funded show, "Maura goes to..." or 'Maura does....". Each week they put Maura in a job or situation and see how she gets on. Quality.

Advertisement