Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: the licence inspectors advert you always hear, has anyone on here ever been visited by a licence inspector, or know anyone who has?

I don't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's a repeat. It was on already at stupid o clock this morning. I can't abide that man.

It was already on last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    She's in there well over 3 years now and all she seems to do is whinge about the licence fee and promote the absolute brains out of the RTE orchestras.

"but we have orchestras" ( costs close to €10 million per annum) is a tried and tested umbrella deployed from their culture as public service defence shield excuse book. It gives the arts and crafts people a chance to overlook the poor management of the organisation and their increasing irrelevance to the domestic audience outside of news and weather (and the extended Christmas commercial called the late late toy show.)

It is a historic accident that RTE got landed with an orchestra the reason goes back to 1930s BBC light entertainment output. The orchestra can be hived off to the Department of Arts heritage and the Gaeltacht and wrapped up into the national concert hall and made available for RTE to organisations outside RTE.

Defender of RTE usually roll out the Sean O'Riada (1931-1971) excuse. He's been dead nearly 50 years so he is consigned to RTE's repeat schedule.

No doubt the musicians that make up the orchestra are competent and moderately talented, however,if they want to be innovative and relevant in future they need to free themselves of RTE. The era of 1930s light entertainment is long over.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Re: the licence inspectors advert you always hear, has anyone on here ever been visited by a licence inspector, or know anyone who has?

I don't.

What I don't get is after the licence ads on the radio, it says "Brought to you by the Government of Ireland"

I've never heard that before, it's usually always a specific department that issue ads isn't it?

When I was renting in Navan I had a knock on the door from a TV licence inspector. He was looking for a previous tenant, but as I noticed his badge, I informed him that I myself had a TV licence for the property (my mam had gotten me one), and showed it to him, and he took note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I don't.

Yeah, once, just after we moved into the house. He had a list of people who had just moved in to the estate and didn't have a license yet. (We had, he had meant to call next door.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

What I don't get is after the licence ads on the radio, it says [I]"Brought to you by the Government of Ireland"[/I]

I've never heard that before, it's usually always a specific department that issue ads isn't it?

Funnily enough, that end bit got tagged on roughly around the time this pic was taken.

Matt-barrett-1068x623.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So I hear that Dee wants out of the job.
    Good riddance.

What we need is someone to come in and clean out the place, but with Fine Gael in government, that ain't gonna happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Kivaro wrote: »
    So I hear that Dee wants out of the job.
    Good riddance.

What we need is someone to come in and clean out the place, but with Fine Gael in government, that ain't gonna happen.

Let put it this way.....Central bank needed a new person, FG backed a guy who has ended up with job

ECB and everyone told them not to hire him he is as dodgy as f**k.....he is still running the Central Bank now.....

RTE will be the same.....don't expect anything different even if a new person comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What I don't get is after the licence ads on the radio, it says "Brought to you by the Government of Ireland"

Crazy for it to even stat Brought to you by the Government of Ireland, they don't pay for the ad and neither do An Post, An Post should as the people collecting the licence market it out of the money that the receive from their collection. Instead it comes from the Licence fee.

RTÉ have to have the Orchestras under the Act. The Dept of Art will take the NSO in the near future.
    Funnily enough, that end bit got tagged on roughly around the time this pic was taken.

It's been on the add for at least 2 years.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    RTE will be the same.....don't expect anything different even if a new person comes in

Really what happen when she took over from Curran, basically the same lack of vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't.

Yes, inspector came to the house I was renting a few years ago. I said I didn't have a license as I'd just moved in ( I had been in the house 3 years) He said that was fine but he'd be back in the area in a few weeks and to have one by then. I had no choice really so got one the next day, he never called back.
    I have since got my own house and obviously won't be getting a license unless the inspector calls again.

Elmo wrote: »

It's been on the add for at least 2 years.

Is that a guess?

Is that a guess?

I say it because I have always had an issue with it coming from The Department of Communications and now the Government of Ireland. It's not from either its from RTÉ, they pay for the ad, An Post do not and neither does the Government.

While I think it is absolutely horrendous that the Taoiseach of the day would sit with Director General of RTÉ while attending their one and only entertainment show. (I wouldn't put both of them together).

Can you Imagine if Boris and the BBC DG went to the final of Strictly? Not one person in the media even noticed the lack of thought in either of them being there, and particularly together. RTÉ is supposed to be independent.

When the Taoiseach went on RTÉ News about Boris he was met by the Head of News, why?

I say it because I have always had an issue with it coming from The Department of Communications and now the Government of Ireland. It's not from either its from RTÉ, they pay for the ad, An Post do not and neither does the Government.

While I think it is absolutely horrendous that the Taoiseach of the day would sit with Director General of RTÉ while attending their one and only entertainment show. (I wouldn't put both of them together).

Can you Imagine if Boris and the BBC DG went to the final of Strictly? Not one person in the media even noticed the lack of thought in either of them being there, and particularly together. RTÉ is supposed to be independent.

When the Taoiseach went on RTÉ News about Boris he was met by the Head of News, why?

It may seem like 2 years but it defo isn't.

2 years ago the TV licence ads were still the: 'Aren't there better ways to spend your money than a fine...Terry's hot tubs, Ti golf clubs, designer handbags etc'
    I remember it well...it drove me nuts!

The whole spin thing with the 'An initiative of the government of Ireland' crap only kicked off about 1.5years ago after Leo's got his spin team in place. Leo is only in a bit over 2 years remember.

It is less than a year (prob only 6 mths) since it was applied to the TVL ads. I am only going by my own memory and I have a very good one.

It may seem like 2 years but it defo isn't.

2 years ago the TV licence ads were still the: 'Aren't there better ways to spend your money than a fine...Terry's hot tubs, Ti golf clubs, designer handbags etc'
    I remember it well...it drove me nuts!

The whole spin thing with the 'An initiative of the government of Ireland' crap only kicked off about 1.5years ago after Leo's got his spin team in place. Leo is only in a bit over 2 years remember.

It is less than a year (prob only 6 mths) since it was applied to the TVL ads. I am only going by my own memory and I have a very good one.

Good for you on your memory.

1. Regardless of the tagline to that campaign. I think we can both agree that The Taoiseach and the DG of RTÉ at Dancing with the Stars is crazy.
    and
    2. That the Tagline is incorrect as the Government are not behind the campaign, RTÉ are and it really should be An Post on behalf of the Department of Communications (Where An Post pay for the campaign).

Elmo, on mature recollection:pac: we're both right.

The old ad did have ...'dept of communication at the end of it'

That was replaced about 6 months ago with the 'Brought to you by the Government of Ireland' :)

Yes I agree with the Leo and Dee comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

Darby O'Gill and the Little People,, followed by Grumpier Old Men,, This is how RTE fills a Sunday Afternoon.

How many more times are they going to roll these out ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

satguy wrote: »
    Darby O'Gill and the Little People,, followed by Grumpier Old Men,, This is how RTE fills a Sunday Afternoon.

Switch over to the hurling.
    There will be a fair few Grumpier Old Men in either Tipp or Kilkenny later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

satguy wrote: »

I see I did not miss much since I abandoned TV. The prints from that reel and Willy Wonka were well worn even a decade ago, now they they have gone digital I'll assume they will keep running it until the disk heads crash or the banshee visits the RTE Director General.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Competition on RTÉ for a trip to New York, the ad for which featured Marty Morrissey.... in New York.

I’m sure it was recorded earlier on in the year, possibly when/if Marty was doing other GAA related stuff in NY, but still!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Competition on RTÉ for a trip to New York, the ad for which featured Marty Morrissey.... in New York.

I’m sure it was recorded earlier on in the year, possibly when/if Marty was doing other GAA related stuff in NY, but still!!

Well he is a Bronx boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Aside from Rte Current affairs and Radio 1 you have to question how licensee money is used.

holyhead wrote: »
    Aside from Rte Current affairs and Radio 1 you have to question how licensee money is used.

Available in the Annual Report

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think it was probably recorded during the Marty and Brendan bullcrap TV show-the one where they went on a holiday on your dime.
    I see I did not miss much since I abandoned TV. The prints from that reel and Willy Wonka were well worn even a decade ago, now they they have gone digital I'll assume they will keep running it until the disk heads crash or the banshee visits the RTE Director General.

Are we sure the Banshee didn't get hired as the RTE DG? I mean, what was Forbes doing before she took up that position?

Since she took charge there's been nothing but woe and bad news dished out to the taxpayers-on her behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Available in the Annual Report

I didn't mean it literally :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/lorraine-courtney-why-should-millennials-pay-the-device-tax-so-older-generations-can-still-watch-rt-38414614.html

The latest leaks about the bleak Brexit fallout for Ireland and the UK suggests our Government has plenty on its plate.

There are many things to worry about and many battle fronts. Households will undoubtedly feel an economic pinch in the coming months and years.

But into the mix we may be asked to consider paying a new "broadcasting charge". The Government can't be serious. Why on earth would we pay for RTÉ's programming when we can access the entire web on our smartphones?
    The days of omnipresent TV sets are gone. Now so many of us have access to the internet via personal devices we don't even need TV to tell us the news. I rarely watch live TV, and beyond current affairs and cookery shows, I don't have much interest in mainstream television. Almost all of my media consumption is online and most of the time, it is not Irish content.

Sitting down on the settee at a fixed time for a scheduled programme? That's what my parents did in the eighties. I'm not unusual. One day - and that day is fast approaching - this is what everyone will be doing. Already such viewing habits are shared by a large and ever growing numbers of adults.

True, lots of us still tune in for the big sports events. Six of the most-watched programmes on Irish television last year were sport, with the national rugby team delivering large viewing figures for RTÉ and Virgin Media. Ireland's Grand Slam decider against England was the most popular TV sporting event of 2018, and the second most-watched programme of the year behind 'The Late Late Toy Show'.

The major concern for television stations isn't that they are losing all of their clientele (they're not) but that millennials, and the generations that come after us, are going to shift the way television is consumed from here on out.

According to a survey by HighSpeedInternet.com - an American comparison website - Ireland is third behind the US and Canada for use of Netflix, an internet-based service which has gone from niche to mainstream in a couple of years.

While there are no official Irish figures for Netflix subscriptions, it's estimated to be about 250,000, with that figure expected to rise to more than 500,000 by 2020.

Thanks to Netflix and the ease at which we can access a wider and heavily populated spectrum of television drama, boxset bingeing took over from the norm that was once reliant on sitting down at the same time every Sunday to find out what was going on in 'Glenroe'. And unfortunately for traditional broadcasters, millennials are digitally literate enough to stream every programme under the sun.

Conscious that traditional television is becoming redundant for a generation raised on social media, downloads and YouTube, the Government plans to swap the current licence, which costs €160 a year, for a new household payment.

It has said it's going to replace the traditional TV licence fee with a new "device independent broadcasting charge". This new State-enforced tax (let's call a spade a spade) is designed to take the transformation in the media landscape into account, where we're increasingly watching TV on devices.

Good luck to them. Getting Irish people to pay a TV licence fee is already hard. The inspectors have heard all the excuses, as the advertisement says, because we regularly try all of them. The existing licence fee is regressive and very costly and time consuming to collect, pointlessly clogging up the legal system with offenders.

An Post took proceedings against 11,693 people in 2017 for not having a television licence - a slight drop on the 11,994 in 2016 - and over the past five years has taken a whopping 64,272 people to court for non-payment of the €160 fee, according to figures from the Department of Communications.

Basically, the Government now wants us to pay for the elderly to watch television. And because the elderly watch more television, broadcasting is geared towards them, pushing younger people towards platforms we actually want to watch.

It'll be hard to levy a brand new charge on every household in the country and I wonder will it provoke similar outrage to the water charge?

I suspect many people are likely to get quite annoyed at the notion of a household charge, even if it is only to replace the existing TV licence fee they are already paying. I can't see younger people willing to fork out for a broadcasting charge for their co-living space.

And won't every single domestic media company that puts public service content on its website be entitled to its share of the spoils?

Right now, 7pc of the total revenue net of An Post's commission is paid to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland for the operation of the Broadcasting Funding Scheme. All remaining revenues are paid to RTÉ, which still takes commercial advertising and sponsorship.

You'd think a public state broadcaster should either have adverts or the fee. Other media companies would be foolish not to insist on getting their share of any new broadcast licence charge.

Those of us without a telly shouldn't be forced to pay for RTÉ's programming - on top of our broadband charge and other subscriptions. Seems like this Government is running out of ways to tax us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/lorraine-courtney-why-should-millennials-pay-the-device-tax-so-older-generations-can-still-watch-rt-38414614.html

The latest leaks about the bleak Brexit fallout for Ireland and the UK suggests our Government has plenty on its plate.

There are many things to worry about and many battle fronts. Households will undoubtedly feel an economic pinch in the coming months and years.

But into the mix we may be asked to consider paying a new "broadcasting charge". The Government can't be serious. Why on earth would we pay for RTÉ's programming when we can access the entire web on our smartphones?
    The days of omnipresent TV sets are gone. Now so many of us have access to the internet via personal devices we don't even need TV to tell us the news. I rarely watch live TV, and beyond current affairs and cookery shows, I don't have much interest in mainstream television. Almost all of my media consumption is online and most of the time, it is not Irish content.

Sitting down on the settee at a fixed time for a scheduled programme? That's what my parents did in the eighties. I'm not unusual. One day - and that day is fast approaching - this is what everyone will be doing. Already such viewing habits are shared by a large and ever growing numbers of adults.

True, lots of us still tune in for the big sports events. Six of the most-watched programmes on Irish television last year were sport, with the national rugby team delivering large viewing figures for RTÉ and Virgin Media. Ireland's Grand Slam decider against England was the most popular TV sporting event of 2018, and the second most-watched programme of the year behind 'The Late Late Toy Show'.

The major concern for television stations isn't that they are losing all of their clientele (they're not) but that millennials, and the generations that come after us, are going to shift the way television is consumed from here on out.

According to a survey by HighSpeedInternet.com - an American comparison website - Ireland is third behind the US and Canada for use of Netflix, an internet-based service which has gone from niche to mainstream in a couple of years.

While there are no official Irish figures for Netflix subscriptions, it's estimated to be about 250,000, with that figure expected to rise to more than 500,000 by 2020.

Thanks to Netflix and the ease at which we can access a wider and heavily populated spectrum of television drama, boxset bingeing took over from the norm that was once reliant on sitting down at the same time every Sunday to find out what was going on in 'Glenroe'. And unfortunately for traditional broadcasters, millennials are digitally literate enough to stream every programme under the sun.

Conscious that traditional television is becoming redundant for a generation raised on social media, downloads and YouTube, the Government plans to swap the current licence, which costs €160 a year, for a new household payment.

It has said it's going to replace the traditional TV licence fee with a new "device independent broadcasting charge". This new State-enforced tax (let's call a spade a spade) is designed to take the transformation in the media landscape into account, where we're increasingly watching TV on devices.

Good luck to them. Getting Irish people to pay a TV licence fee is already hard. The inspectors have heard all the excuses, as the advertisement says, because we regularly try all of them. The existing licence fee is regressive and very costly and time consuming to collect, pointlessly clogging up the legal system with offenders.

An Post took proceedings against 11,693 people in 2017 for not having a television licence - a slight drop on the 11,994 in 2016 - and over the past five years has taken a whopping 64,272 people to court for non-payment of the €160 fee, according to figures from the Department of Communications.

Basically, the Government now wants us to pay for the elderly to watch television. And because the elderly watch more television, broadcasting is geared towards them, pushing younger people towards platforms we actually want to watch.

It'll be hard to levy a brand new charge on every household in the country and I wonder will it provoke similar outrage to the water charge?

I suspect many people are likely to get quite annoyed at the notion of a household charge, even if it is only to replace the existing TV licence fee they are already paying. I can't see younger people willing to fork out for a broadcasting charge for their co-living space.

And won't every single domestic media company that puts public service content on its website be entitled to its share of the spoils?

Right now, 7pc of the total revenue net of An Post's commission is paid to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland for the operation of the Broadcasting Funding Scheme. All remaining revenues are paid to RTÉ, which still takes commercial advertising and sponsorship.

You'd think a public state broadcaster should either have adverts or the fee. Other media companies would be foolish not to insist on getting their share of any new broadcast licence charge.

Those of us without a telly shouldn't be forced to pay for RTÉ's programming - on top of our broadband charge and other subscriptions. Seems like this Government is running out of ways to tax us.

RTE and other 'traditional' TV services need to reform what they are at and stop shifting the blame to Netflix, etc. If people are not watching as much RTE as they used to, there is only one real reason: the content.

When the typical fare on RTE is repeats of Room to Improve, Rachel Allen, Francis Brennan, Mrs Brown's Boys, Daniel & Majella's B&B Roadtrip and so on, there is little wonder why people are not tuning in. When their home produced drama are boring and tame fare such as Striking Out, Finding Joy, Taken Down, Rebellion and Can't Cope, Won't Cope, people are going to go elsewhere. RTE News is boring and lacks depth compared to the other channels too, often focused on parochial, trivial issues.

The truth is most households still own a TV set, most still pay the tax, and most feel they have to watch some stuff to get value from it. I find myself watching less and less live TV these days and more DVDs and Netflix. Now, the tax should NOT in my view apply to anyone who watches DVDs and Netflix. It should be connected to those who watch live TV and should be based on content they watch.

And who is RTE's target audience? Many younger people say it is for 'older audiences' yet older people say it is out of touch with what they would want too. It would seem RTE are just that, out of touch with ALL audiences. Age doesn't really matter anyhow and stereotypes based on age, gender, etc. are not correct more often than not.

All RTE seem to cater for is those who want reality TV shows. It is cheap to make, can use RTE staff and can be repeated as filler inner countless time. Sit down any night and flick on RTE and chances are the programmes are repeats of reality shows shown in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Let's shove on Lords and Ladles or At Your Service to fill in is their attitude!

If the chatshows are not entertaining people, it is because RTE are still pushing the same old faces (who also happen to be presenters of other RTE shows most of the time) at us. Look at Brendan O'Carroll for instance: constantly pushed our way since Gaybo's time. He is only one of numerous others who became 'stars' because of who they knew rather than what they had to offer.

We the people are paying our taxes to pay for this elite who look down on the people. Westlife, Nicky Byrne and Louis Walsh are more examples of individuals who are filled with self importance because RTE gave it to them. Send them out of their RTE cocoon (e.g. to the Eurovision), they crash because they are NOT as talented as we are told by RTE they are!

Simply put: if RTE want audiences, they need to give the people entertainment and not cheaply made drivel fronted by the likes of Dermot Bannon, Brendan O'Carrroll, Amy Hubermann, Alison Spittle, Stephanie Pressnier or PJ Gallagher. Once RTE stop this pushing of mediocre individuals and trying to make gods out of them, they may get audiences back. Until then, people are being turned off and are going elsewhere and that is RTE's FAULT not Nexflix's, Sky's or the DVDs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I don't recall anyone in RTE ever putting their hands up to admit the lion's share of their viewers only watched because they'd no options...now many more do. RTE need up their game. No more captive rural audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Ten Pin wrote: »
    On Radio 1 now, RTE trying their hand at comedy...

I'm listening. More bs

• Advertisement

jimmynokia wrote: »
    I'm listening. More bs

What was this?

Advertisement