Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Elmo wrote: »
    Finding Joy was not the replacement for Striking Out, Taken Down was, either way neither were renewed.

Taken Down took the place timewise but FJ was the new Amy vehicle. Thankfully both TD and SO were not renewed: disappointing efforts both. FJ is meant to be on the way back unfortunately! All drivel we do not need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Taken Down took the place timewise but FJ was the new Amy vehicle. Thankfully both TD and SO were not renewed: disappointing efforts both. FJ is meant to be on the way back unfortunately! All drivel we do not need.

AFAIK Stricking Out was supposed to be more adult, in the vain of a Sunday Night drama on RTÉ, Finding Joy really should have been on RTÉ2 but I think RTÉ new it would sink so they tried to prevent it by putting it on ONE.

Hence why I say that Taken Down was the Sunday night replacement. I believe those behind the "cat killing" were behind Taken Down.

FJ is not on its way back, it was part funded by the BAI and I haven't seen them sign off on a second series. You'll be glad to hear, I'd be surprised if it get a second go.

Either way they are all gone and at least RTÉ produced a Drama.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Monday on Reeling in the years: 1986
    Tuesday on Reeling in the years: 1987
    Wednesday on Reeling in the years: 1969

Just when they start getting into the good ones and relevant to me ones from 88 onwards..... back to 69!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I swear I've seen all those years on tv at least 4 times (think at one time I saw the same one in the space of 2 weeks) - as good as they are for that nostalgia feeling they are at the end of the day cheap to make programmes which is what RTE is all about and then cramming it down your throat constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Department of SW free liciences are bought off the post office.

Unless they have changed it in the last few years no they are not .

Once you inform SW of your status they send you a licence in the post that looks different from a regular licence and which expires on the day of death of the holder .

Even if there is another person entailed to a free licence around it does not automatically transfer .

They do tell An Post licence section of giving you a free licence and when it expires eg when the holder dies though they don't tell An Post there may be another entailed person around so they can tailor any letters accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

This is the RTE1 line up on Thursday 15 AUG, from The news at 1 to the news at 9.. Really not very good.

fgf.jpg

How might we get our politicians to come and have a look at this thread ?

Think we had this conversation earlier on in this thread that RTE pretty much just show repeats the whole summer (I say that in the sense of the season name and not the weather) long
    Rest of the year they show a few less repeats interspaced with some new programmes featuring guests from the canteen being paid to partake in a show about themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

satguy wrote: »
    How might we get our politicians to come and have a look at this thread ?

Write out a link to the thread.
    Put a it in a bottle. Fill the bottle halfway with petrol. Stick a rag into the bottle. Light the rag and lob it into Leinster House.

(They are all on holiday so hold tight a few months)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

AFAIK Stricking Out was supposed to be more adult, in the vain of a Sunday Night drama on RTÉ, Finding Joy really should have been on RTÉ2 but I think RTÉ new it would sink so they tried to prevent it by putting it on ONE.

Hence why I say that Taken Down was the Sunday night replacement. I believe those behind the "cat killing" were behind Taken Down.

FJ is not on its way back, it was part funded by the BAI and I haven't seen them sign off on a second series. You'll be glad to hear, I'd be surprised if it get a second go.

Either way they are all gone and at least RTÉ produced a Drama.

Striking Out was supposed to be more adult and I watched the first series of it and hated it so didn't watch the second. Finding Joy was supposed to be more of a comedy but neither was able to excel.

Taken Down was the most disappointing of all. This was because I expected more from it than any of Amy's things. It was better than Striking Out but because it had more potential, it was more a let down.I remember flicking through the channels and rewatching episodes of The Handmaid's Tale before Christmas (even though I have the DVD of this) and Taken Down was constantly promoted as from the makers of Love/Hate, i.e. the cat killers! But when it came on, it quickly dawned on me it was nothing like either L/H or THT (the audiences it was being promoted to clearly). I don't think Stuart Carolan wrote any part of it until episode 6 of it where there was a little of the L/H style thrown in too little too late.

What I cannot help but think is Taken Down and Striking Out would be far grittier if made circa 2010-2014. Of the 2, Taken Down was definitely the better one (even if it wasn't great) but Striking Out got 2 seasons.

• Advertisement

This is the RTE1 line up on Thursday 15 AUG, from The news at 1 to the news at 9.. Really not very good.

fgf.jpg

No it isn't .

It's a schedule that may be similar but someone has put fake timings on the later part of it plus the absurd "was on BBC earlier" as if that should have relevance to RTE's decision to show it given that they have to cater to the people who only have Saorview .

And if you are listing The Angelus as a repeat you should list the News as a repeat at 6pm and 9pm given it's normally the same content in all 3 programmes

SPDUB wrote: »
    No it isn't .

It's a schedule that may be similar but someone has put fake timings on the later part of it plus the absurd "was on BBC earlier" as if that should have relevance to RTE's decision to show it given that they have to cater to the people who only have Saorview .

It is RTE's schedule

Great Continental Railway Journeys is an old show

fritzelly wrote: »
    It is RTE's schedule

Great Continental Railway Journeys is an old show

Really so 6.1 is one minute long , the Angelus is 15mins long , the 9 news is at 830pm

And GCRJ may be a repeat on RTE but the point I was making is what relevance in this instance is it that it was shown on BBC earlier

Show start times are underneath, think the point about "earlier" is it's not a new show but on the Beeb a long time ago and bought for scraps by RTE

Even the 9 news is pretty much the 6.1 repeated - how much happens in 2 hours - and repeated religiously on RTE News Now

about "earlier" is it's not a new show but on the Beeb a long time ago and bought for scraps by RTE

So RTE don't cater to Saorview only viewers and they do exist , Apparently 10%

If it's a repeat on RTE fair enough but the fact the BBC has shown it already is irrelevant to those viewers

If you are going to follow that logic then the OZ soaps are repeats since they were shown there first . The fact "you" couldn't see them is irrelevant on that logic ,

We don't have access to Oz tv channels here.
    So RTE are catering to 10% of people who don't have access and of that 10% how many are even interested in watching or even able to watch it as they are at work for example

It's cheap to buy in to fill programming and sell a few ad slots to cover the cost

Really would contest that 10% of the population really do not have cable or Sky/Freesat or is that another makey uppey number by RTE

How many aerials do you see around the place?

We don't have access to Oz tv channels here.

So RTE are catering to 10% of people who don't have access and of that 10% how many are even interested in watching or even able to watch it as they are at work for example

That applies to every programme
    It's cheap to buy in to fill programming and sell a few ad slots to cover the cost

That applies to most programmes
    Really would contest that 10% of the population really do not have cable or Sky/Freesat or is that another makey uppey number by RTE

The old fake news cry if it's a figure I don't like .

The details of it are on the broadcasting forum

No it isn't .

It is the RTE schedule, and it's bang on, start time under each program are correct.

Some of the shows were shown on BBC earlier this year, some were even repeated on BBC, and now RTE are giving them a third or fourth airing.

How can anybody be happy with this ?

It is the RTE schedule, and it's bang on, start time under each program are correct.
    First schedule I've seen with times undernearh
    Some of the shows were shown on BBC earlier this year, some were even repeated on BBC, and now RTE are giving them a third or fourth airing.

How can anybody be happy with this ?

Irreverent to Saorview only viewers .

Follow that logic and the Oz soaps are repeats because shown on Oz tv first then C5 in UK then RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Has anyone questioned Forbes record in her extremely well paid DG job?
    She's in there well over 3 years now and all she seems to do is whinge about the licence fee and promote the absolute brains out of the RTE orchestras.

Time for a new DG I reckon. A DG that has the balls to tell the likes of Duffy and D'Arcy to take a hike.

On their adverts on radio 1, it all seems to be RTE related stuff (NCO,NSO,TV licence, RTE TV/Radio shows, radio show promos etc)

All other radio stations seem to have full slots of commercial adverts. This leads me to think RTE's ad fees are too expensive compared to other stations. So instead of reducing their ad rates they/she has decided to keep the high rates and when nobody bites, fill the slots with RTE stuff. ****ing mental approach.

If someone in a private company made decisions like that, they'd be out on their arse in no time.

• Advertisement

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    On their adverts on radio 1, it all seems to be RTE related stuff (NCO,NSO,TV licence, RTE TV/Radio shows, radio show promos etc)

All other radio stations seem to have full slots of commercial adverts. This leads me to think RTE's ad fees are too expensive compared to other stations. So instead of reducing their ad rates they/she has decided to keep the high rates and when nobody bites, fill the slots with RTE stuff. ****ing mental approach.

So RTÉ Radio unlike commercial radio has limits as to how many ads they can air, RTÉ Radio can air just a Max of 9mins and an average of 6mins per hour. Commercial Radio can air a Max of 12mins and an average of 9mins per hour. A Promo is not considered an advert.

Similarly RTÉ TV and TG4 can only air a max of 9mins and an average of 6mins per hour, meanwhile Commercial TV can air an average of 12 minutes.

Oh and RTÉ adverts are controlled by the Minister
    Commercial TV is controlled by the BAI
    and Commercial Radio is controlled by the Dail

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This Crowded House being shown..... again at 9:30pm on a Thursday night.

Fcuking disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So RTÉ Radio unlike commercial radio has limits as to how many ads they can air, RTÉ Radio can air just a Max of 9mins and an average of 6mins per hour. Commercial Radio can air a Max of 12mins and an average of 9mins per hour. A Promo is not considered an advert.

Similarly RTÉ TV and TG4 can only air a max of 9mins and an average of 6mins per hour, meanwhile Commercial TV can air an average of 12 minutes.

Oh and RTÉ adverts are controlled by the Minister
    Commercial TV is controlled by the BAI
    and Commercial Radio is controlled by the Dail

It doesn’t matter if you have 6 mins or 6 hours, if you don’t have the listeners then you don’t have the advertising

6 mins is still 12 slots per hour to advertise with 30 sec ads or a couple of small 15 sec ads.....but as posted most of it is telling you to buy a tv license or what’s on RTÉ tonight....

RTÉ is the same, prime time shows and a load of poo advertising on it....

The old fake news cry if it's a figure I don't like .

The details of it are on the broadcasting forum

From the Saorview site:
    "There are 676,000 homes in Ireland that have Saorview, 43% of all TV homes. Source: Nielsen Establishment Survey, January 2016"
    (Admittedly 2016 figures but it certainly hasn't increased that much)

So 10% only have access to Irish tv channels is now down to less than 5% of the population being force fed repeats of repeats of repeats
    Do you work for RTE? You really like defending them, how's Ryan doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

This Crowded House being shown..... again at 9:30pm on a Thursday night.

Fcuking disgrace.

It's a repeat. It was on already at stupid o clock this morning. I can't abide that man.

Just thinking of Francis Brennan’s next Grand Tour
    Requirements: Must have €800 euro for the holiday and a passport (making what is cheap to make entertainment a case of getting people to pay Francis' salary). Single supplement charge applies!

Channel 4's Coach Trip (with a much more enjoyable Brendan Sheerin)
    Requirements: Must have a passport

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Other than that Francis had 30 mins of Nationwide to promote his Kenmare hotel. Great gig if you can get it

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    It doesn’t matter if you have 6 mins or 6 hours, if you don’t have the listeners then you don’t have the advertising

6 mins is still 12 slots per hour to advertise with 30 sec ads or a couple of small 15 sec ads.....but as posted most of it is telling you to buy a tv license or what’s on RTÉ tonight....

RTÉ is the same, prime time shows and a load of poo advertising on it....

Yes but as I said the “promos” aren’t considered ads, if both RTÉ radio and TV are selling all their ads then I see no problem with the promos, RTÉ have asked to increase their advertising minutes on Radio, they cannot sell an extra 3mins of ads that they are not allowed to sell. All broadcasters have promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yes but as I said the “promos” aren’t considered ads, if both RTÉ radio and TV are selling all their ads then I see no problem with the promos, RTÉ have asked to increase their advertising minutes on Radio, they cannot sell an extra 3mins of ads that they are not allowed to sell. All broadcasters have promos.

A promo is an announcement of what’s coming up in a show.

An ad for the orchestra(s) for example is an ad.

And they’re not selling all the ad space, not even close to it. You could go days on Live Line without hearing an ad paid for by an external company.

• Advertisement

A promo is an announcement of what’s coming up in a show.

An ad for the orchestra(s) for example is an ad.

And they’re not selling all the ad space, not even close to it. You could go days on Live Line without hearing an ad paid for by an external company.

Why not count actual ads, promos and RTÉ related ads. If the actual ads come to Under 9 minutes of ads during peak listening fine. Or FOI RTÉ for those numbers.

I’d wonder if a promo for the Orchestras are defined as an ad, I’d assume the license fee ads are ads but I have too many issues about those ads.

Advertisement