Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Oof... that advert....

I am guessing that those on between 40000 and 60000 are mainly earning between 55,000 and 60,000 for an average of 60686 to get to, an maths people want to talk about this average?

More than 150,000 = 22

100,000 - 150,000 = 97

80,000 to 100,000 = 179

60,000 to 80,000 = 550

40,000 to 60,000 = 740

less than 40,000 = 283

total 1,931

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Must be a great place to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

One hundred and nineteen staff members at RTÉ last year earned in excess of €100,000 in basic salary.

I'd be a bit concerned what happens after 'basic salary' too - Y'know, extra OB team (sound/camera/lighting etc) dispatched to CB's shed at 21.30 cos Claire won't just go to bed with her covid like everyone else. Yep, the after basic salaries would be very interesting.

I wonder is Noel K sh!tting himself about who the next DG will be. Gas if it turned out to be a guy Noel bullied for 5 years at school 😀 I'd pay to watch that play out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Actually only Byrne is with NKM. The other two are not.

They don't show up in his brochure photo wall of fame, but they are. I've studied it carefully. It's a fine art. There's a shed load of them that don't admit that they're NKM, but they are. Ray D'Arcy, Brendan O'Connor just a couple more...I could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Who's to say she won't get a 5 year extension on the contract because she's doing an amazing job

(Who are the two in the pic? Is one that prof who said nothing to worry about with Covid?)

I know. Not all of his clients want you to know who their agent is...but it's Noel Kelly.

In Ray's case. - not on NKM website - gets massive fees in RTE = NKM. No other agent can get somebody with so little talent a gig like that

Ray's anonymous agent said:

'Ray will sell himself as being primarily a radio star and that's what he came to RTÉ to do,' said the agent who represents some of Ireland's top talent.

It's a reading between the lines type of thing I suppose

• Advertisement

Hmm if you didn't know his agent was NK how could you book him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Who the hell would want to book him????

Only rte have him on speed dial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Noel Kelly used to have D'arcy listed on his site- he's now been bumped. Wonder if he's now considered so 'toxic' to the brand he was bumped off the site?

DG only has a 5 year term with an extension of 2 years, she goes next year.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

So then next year we’ll be subjected to a ton of planted articles in various media telling us how lucky we were to have Dee, and we’ll never see her like again……..

I wonder what semi-state executive board will snap her up when she becomes a free agent..? ….. on €170k per year of course…

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well Joe Duffy can't even speak English correctly and has been employed by the state broadcaster for decades. "dis" dat" "dem" doze" "do be" "does be"....need I go on? And that's before we get to his shall we say unique pronunciations of place names and other words.

She be over at An Post and David McRedmond will be at RTÉ just wait and see. At least its between David McRedmond (he was with TV3 when they had to be bail out for €83m and when the sold the channel to VM for €80m having bought it for €265m!, he was also the spokesperson for eircom when they went public, that was fun!) or the current strategic director, Rory Covney of the Covneys

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Expunge

Actually some of the unhappiest people (professionally) I have ever met are RTE staffers. TV critic Liam Fay has said in the past that no one is harsher in their criticism and hatred for RTE and their programmes than RTE lifers.

That said, it is a golden prison an very few break ranks to publicly criticise RTE, unless they have run out of road there.

The alternative is working with Virgin Media, Bauer, Wireless Group etc. at money barely better than the hourly rate at Supermacs.

In fairness to McRedmond, he has had rural post offices on his watch closed and the price of a stamp raised numerous times. Very, very difficult things to get done politically. I think he may have closed a sorting office in Cork, despite fierce opposition.

That's exactly the type of CEO RTE needs now or may be 15 years ago.

What did Ms. Forbes do? Bang on about the funding model and presided over staff numbers going back up over 1800. This is despite selling valuable land to pay for an Voluntary Exit scheme. She has been nothing less than a disaster.

Well they should ask for change in their working practices. Do you know why RTÉ takes a month off in August?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I don't think they're interested in that. Just protection of what they have now.

As for August, I suppose it's based on this old view that everyone's outside having a great time without the tele. Audiences would be lower and there'd be little point in commissioning expensive programming that fewer viewers are available to watch. Stick on Reeling in the Years, a couple of movies and some cheap-ass music show with Danny whatz his name instead!

(I couldn't tell you if any of that is accurate, by the way)

That month off in August is staggering, by the way. Even the lowliest paid people are "working from home" that month, I'd imagine.

He also got plush new offices and didn't want to be seen round the GPO, not sure if they are begging the government to take over the GPO as a national site of some kind. He spend huge amount getting a new logo and decking out their Post Offices around the country.

But he as the WOKE on his site, his policy on Gender pay equality is masterful, in a business were 75% of the staff are male.

I suppose over the last 7 years his collection rates for the licence fee should not be questioned. at all ever.

______

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

I suppose you could say that!

Better in the tent peeing out and all that. Just my impression of a few I have come across.

Sounds like they've forgotten to unzip the tent when peeing out!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah can we not be spared the "anti-woke" bollox in one thread on Boards ffs.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's not anti-woke at all I am point out his short comings and I am pointing that he has jumped successfully on to the bandwagon, read the report into gender equal pay in An Post and perhaps you come away with something else. He will be the next DG IMO.

But don't let my divergence ask the question, how is it that An Post can't seem to Collect The Licence fee, they only collected 900,000 last year. He sit over that and has never been asked.

______

Yesterday

Well RTÉ are bring back Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything. I though it was delightfully good, special that time she asked that question!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Any sign of Killing Joy...the most aptly named tv show in tv history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

what will be this year's Amy Huberman's annual attempt to stay relevant show be about this year - Every year its a bridget jones cosplay, living in a flash city, with a different high flying job....

Advertisement