Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

yeah the rte male hating station keeps giving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

RTE1 showing Ant & Dec's Limitless Win on Saturday evening at 8:25pm. This is the same one that was on ITV in January.

Is the first time that RTE has an ITV entertainment show in that position on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

way back when they aired Noel Edmunds on Saturday night but yes the first time I'd say.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Edmunds was BBC, RTE would take a lot of BBC and CH4 but very little ITV as VM have little else and ITV seem to aim most their programmes at the type of people that kept Jeremy Kyle going.

Stumbled on an atrocious BBC comedy ? show the last night, The Paddy Raff show, new level of desperate

Would have been the only Saturday Night entertainment show from the UK to broadcast on RTÉ since the 1980s, pre-TV3/ITV deal.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It was a tad frustrating. While I fully support those who spoke up about their abuse, be it under a pseudonym (voice distortion and concealment were used in the doc) or using their real names, parts of it irritated me a tad.

Like, there was a moment where they discussed female on male violence, and one man (under the aforementioned 'distortion and concealment') spoke about his experiences with domestic violence. Then it spoke to those who work with domestic violence, the counsellors, psychologists, etc... and some of them said 'If you're a man in this country, and you happen to have been abused-there's no help for you'. And that to me, was a very, very interesting point that wasn't explored. The people who said it, were very sympathetic to male victims of violence - but the documentary brushed it aside. That stood out to me as a major weakness of it, as did the Vigil.

Now, in it's defence, it may very well be that male victims are very reluctant to speak up- the shame of it, alone, can be one reason. Also of note, there was nothing discussed in regards to lgbt+ domestic violence, which was, again, frustrating. (I have friends who've been the victim of this- one female friend, who was involved in a lesbian relationship, suffered a lot of mental abuse and coercion. Even had money stolen from her). It was a C+/ B- kind of documentary. Could have done a lot more, but instead did the bare minimum.

I see RTÉ paid for that public service award under the "Trust Matter" campaign!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

@RabbleRouser2k I imagine that RTÉ were able to spend some time on Kieran Creaven, during this prime time special... but maybe I am conflating issues ... not that RTÉ ever do that!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The absolute ledgebag DG of RTE - D.4orbes, announced in Nov 2019 that she'd be cutting the fees of the top 10 by a eye-watering 15% because..well she's a kick ass no nonsense sort of a gal. Here we are in twenny twenny two (hi Brendan and Miriam) and still no sign of the 2020 figures.

I'd have thought that with this in mind, Ms 4orbes would be beating people out of the way to get the figures into the public domain so she could show everyone how great she is. But no, it seems she's getting all forgetful again.

The top 10 in 2019 earned were paid €3.2m (I know, I know) so with a 15% cut on that, the figure should now be about €2.7m. My guess is Forbesy looked at the 2020 figures, put her head in her hands and said 'Oh Bollocks!'

Very hard to guess the figs because of new positions/shows etc but this should be close. It's also a possibility that clown O hEadhra on drive time could be in there.

Tommy Bowe landed more hits on Eamon Ryan on breakfast telly than the RTE news team could, Catriona Perry better suited to Nationwide if that's the best effort at grilling a minister

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dobbo on 240k to read the news for about 30 mins Mon-Fri is scandalous, not to mention the rest of them getting paid vast sums to work not even part time

Ah, it's all guesswork at the mo cos Forbesy is too busy dodging the PAC to release the figures, but my estimate was based on the fact that he was getting 210k in 2018/19 before he took on the 1.0 o'clock news which I presume was a promotion. The pay levels are one thing (they are scandalous) but the quality of these people to me is the problem. Not Dobbo as such, but D'Arcy, Tubs, O hEadhra, Duffy, Brendan O'Connor, Perry etc. Awful people imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

6.1 to midday radio - wouldn't see that as a promotion lol, he's definitely not one of the worst and knows his stuff

Keelin Shanley is such a loss on the 6 O'Clock news. She was the one who would hit the politicians with the hard questions, whilst letting them think they were in for a soft interview. Cannot be overstated how much of a loss to RTE she truly was.

The most intelligent person in the room, quite often, but no airs or graces about her.

Took the job seriously, but didn't take herself seriously, even when she was dying. Her loss is felt everytime I switch on the news.

RTÉ held off for 3 years report 2017, 2018 and 2019.

I had emailed RTÉ years before that asking for I think 2015, in 2017, and they said that the release of these was always in the last quarter. I replied there is no specific date or quarter that RTÉ release these figures, I got a snotty reply "Only here a few years, obviously you know more about this then I do, the figures will be release in the last quarter".... They were release near the end of December that year, last quarter.

Going on last year 2020 should now be released as the 3 years that they held back until 2021 were released at the end of January.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a name on that list that might cause embarrassment!

Most of those changes happened in 2021.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

The Late Late Valentine's Day special is over... gotta be grateful that twitter does all the heavy lifting for me, so I don't have to watch it.

More car crash than cringe. Cringe would enjoy someone enjoying it, car crash just lets you know it's another disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see that RTE received over €561,000 from the Dept of Health over the last 2 yrs for 'sponsorship' of their Operation Transformation programme.

I wonder where all that money is going?

• Advertisement

Paying a photographer to take pictures of Kathryn Thomas breastfeeding. Yes, that happened.

(Not that I'm anti breastfeeding. Just don't know why the heck you'd take a photo of that and post it on on social media?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I assume the absolute fee that rte pays to tubridys company remains the same, but could it be considered a pay increase of sorts given that the late late show is now finishes up earlier? I.e same money for less 'work' is a pay increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sure you neither have to watch it or read about it?

🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Bourne ultimatum must be stuck in the tape player over in montrosia... Im sure it was on a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ant & Dec's Limitless Win will be going head to head with Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway next weekend, you couldn't make it up.

I'd say you're onto something there. The shenanigans between NKM and RTE would make Putin blush as everyone down at Montrosia gorge from the trough. I'm sure they'll be exploring lots of innovative ways of topping up their incomes. I hear lots of African TV organisations pay a lot of attention to the RTE broadcasting model in the hope of learning a few new tricks.

Re Kathryn and her breast feeding. While it is possible that she was trying to raise awareness, my money would be on the 'pure media whoring' angle. She has lots of previous form.

Where one person might say 'it encourages breast feeding' someone else (myself included) would say that it shames women who (a) choose not to have children or (b) shames women who choose not to/ cannot breast feed (for a variety of medical reasons).

Wouldn't surprise me if she is getting paid for her insta feed. IF she is, she should be marking the posts as paid advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

Just imagine what the HSE could have done with that extra €561k!

Not that the HSE has ever covered itself in glory, but this has to go down as one of the stupidest things that they've ever done. It's essentially one dysfunctional state entity helping shore up another 🙄😔😡

Meanwhile, you find yourself wondering how much Kathryn Thomas is getting paid - she must be closing in on a Top10 spot, on the RTE waste of money league.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement