Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Shakespeare plays for JC and LC coming up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

iseegirls wrote: »

They have a different approach to filling the schedule now, seen that their is no sport. Filling the gaps with Movies and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Maysa07 wrote: »
    They have a different approach to filling the schedule now, seen that their is no sport. Filling the gaps with Movies and other stuff.

But does a showing of Calamity Jane classify as good news and money well spent?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maysa07 wrote: »
    iseegirls wrote: »
    But does a showing of Calamity Jane classify as good news and money well spent?

Good to see "The Deadwood Stage" still running in this era of travel restrictions :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

65535 wrote: »
    Don't watch/have RTÉ or any channels myself so maybe I should not be commenting, however I do have a TV licence because we have a TV.

You've highlighted the exact issue, so sure, comment away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

take a read of this!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-us-newspapers-impact?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

they have the perfect opportunity now, to overhaul that RTE tax payer gorgery that is going on!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    take a read of this!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/09/coronavirus-us-newspapers-impact?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

they have the perfect opportunity now, to overhaul that RTE tax payer gorgery that is going on!

Opportunity Knocks, but no one will be in....

speaking of others thieving a living, remember the luas strikes and their outrageoues pay hikes on their already outrageous pay. They are thieving a living compared to bus drivers for a start, take a look at this, given the pay agreement is up in September, surprised they arent already out beating their chests and trying to extort more, against insanely weak government. The problem is, they would think twice about striking, if they knew, they might end up in a worse position, against the spineless government here, its just a case of how quick they will fold and how much more can be extorted from the tax payer!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/luas-dispute-ends-as-drivers-vote-to-accept-pay-deal-1.2671979

"It will bring total earnings at the top of the scale from €42,247 to €49,972 by September 2020, and €53,220 when a 6.5 per cent bonus is included.

Transdev will shelve a plan to increase the length of shifts, and it will restore pay docked from drivers during the dispute. They will not however get back a 6.5 per cent bonus they lost, but it will return next year."

Opportunity Knocks, but no one will be in....

very true, call me a cynic, but I would imagine FG in particular, will not do anything to upset their state propaganda mouthpiece in montrose. Not when there could be another election in the not too distant future...

very true, call me a cynic, but I would imagine FG in particular, will not do anything to upset their state propaganda mouthpiece in montrose. Not when there could be another election in the not too distant future...

I’m a devout and practicing cynic myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I’m a devout and practicing cynic myself.

They're portraying Leo and Simon as heroes at the moment.

Never mind they were the jerks who got the hospital and health system into this sh**ty situation.

take a read of this!

That link is all about the print media.

Just while you are there, do you think weak under resourced journalism is a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

They hire their sons and daughters without even an interview,, or even the job advertised.

While we pay to put our sons and daughters through college, to get a qualification to be able to do these kind of jobs.
    Their sons and daughters through just turn up on a Monday morning and start.

There is so much wrong with the TV licence, is so much wrong with RTE and the way its run.

FG will never do anything to fix RTE,, but FF or SF might,, and should.

Nevermind Alice,, Who the FOOK is Lottie ..

satguy wrote: »
    They hire their sons and daughters without even an interview,, or even the job advertised.

While we pay to put our sons and daughters through collage, to get a qualafication to be able to do these kind of jobs.
    Their sons and daughters through just turn up on a Monday morning and start.

There is so much wrong with the TV licence, is so much wrong with RTE and the way its run.

FG will never do anything to fix RTE,, but FF or SF might,, and should.

Nevermind Alice,, Who the FOOK is Lottie ..

'Collage'... 'qualafication'...

Is that you Margaret Cash?

'Collage'... 'qualafication'...

Is that you Margaret Cash?

Typo fixed.

We are being robbed by RTE while they show us repeats all day, their news crews can't find a good story or the truth. But can spot our typoes if we say bad things about them.

satguy wrote: »
    We are being robbed by RTE while they show us repeats all day, their news crews can't find a good story or the truth. But can spot our typoes if we say bad things about them.

RTE folks?

You mean me?

I don't work for RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Forbes is laughing her tits off at the moment. While 2020 was always going to produce another set of disastrous accounts for RTE, she now has the perfect excuse for being sh!t at her job.

More sh!t figures Dee?
    Well yes, it's because of the whole virus thing.
    Really. Nothing to do with the fact that you can't do your job properly and the profane salaries/fees that the staff and contractors get then?
    No. It's the virus.

Oh right so.

She'll get 2020 and probably 2021 out of it until someone eventually tells her to GTFO.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Forbes is laughing her tits off at the moment. While 2020 was always going to produce another set of disastrous accounts for RTE, she now has the perfect excuse for being sh!t at her job.

More sh!t figures Dee?
    Really. Nothing to do with the fact that you can't do your job properly and the profane salaries/fees that the staff and contractors get then?
    No. It's the virus.

Oh right so.

She'll get 2020 and probably 2021 out of it until someone eventually tells her to GTFO.

I see a lot of media outlets using this crisis to blame their failures on Corona. Not just Dee, but other entertainment outlets.

(Off topic, but I found it interesting)
    I saw the director of Birds of Prey (the movie) blaming Coronavirus for its failing. The movie came out and flopped long before anything went into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I see a lot of media outlets using this crisis to blame their failures on Corona. Not just Dee, but other entertainment outlets.

Advertising is way down and most media outlets rely on advertising whether print, digital or broadcast. What business is going to pay for advertising if they are not doing business
    I have noticed RTE's advertising slots are pretty none existant bar the covid ads while on Newstalk they still have plenty of business ads
    Are RTE charging a proportionately high fee based on viewership/listernship
    (Off topic, but I found it interesting)
    I saw the director of Birds of Prey (the movie) blaming Coronavirus for its failing. The movie came out and flopped long before anything went into lockdown.

Was a crap film - don't know what they were going for but it didn't work, the fight scenes were junk - Daredevil did far better with a TV budget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Didn't this movie just take a character or two from Suicide Squad, which was a failure, and try to make a movie out of it. How could anyone expect it to do any better than something that anyone hated ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

More sh!t figures Dee?
    No. It's the virus.

Oh right so.

Devious Dee will most certainly use Covid-19 as an excuse for not implementing cost savings at RTE, and with non-existence advertising revenue coming in, we should expect to see her with cap in hand going to the government for more tax payer money to sustain the outrageous salaries and expenses of her "stars", 70+ managers, and staff.

Also, anyone else getting tired of seeing the constant donation requests from the likes of Trocaire and Sightsavers etc. prevalent on RTE with the typical footage of severely distressed children in poor countries?
    I think it's inappropriate to flood the market with visual graphic poverty footage; especially in the middle of our own deadly pandemic with the country going through mental anguish from deaths and over 700,000 people losing their jobs.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Devious Dee will most certainly use Covid-19 as an excuse for not implementing cost savings at RTE, and with non-existence advertising revenue coming in, we should expect to see her with cap in hand going to the government for more tax payer money to sustain the outrageous salaries and expenses of her "stars", 70+ managers, and staff.

Also, anyone else getting tired of seeing the constant donation requests from the likes of Trocaire and Sightsavers etc. prevalent on RTE with the typical footage of severely distressed children in poor countries?
    I think it's inappropriate to flood the market with visual graphic poverty footage; especially in the middle of our own deadly pandemic with the country going through mental anguish from deaths and over 700,000 people losing their jobs.

You are able to turn off those ads. Unfortunately for the poor of the world they can't turn off the tide of death that is killing thousands every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jun/05/nearly-half-of-all-child-deaths-in-africa-stem-from-hunger-study-shows

The ads are aimed at people who are not donating in an attempt to get them to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

elperello wrote: »
    You are able to turn off those ads. Unfortunately for the poor of the world they can't turn off the tide of death that is killing thousands every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jun/05/nearly-half-of-all-child-deaths-in-africa-stem-from-hunger-study-shows

The ads are aimed at people who are not donating in an attempt to get them to help.

I’m a reasonably charitable person, however one of the reasons some people DON’T contribute is that once you are on the ‘books’ there is no going back..... twenty years later the blurb is still relentlessly arriving in the post box despite all requests saying you have moved on.

They need to address this crock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

You are missing the point of the post (possibly deliberately) i.e. sensory overload when we are in the middle of a worldwide deadly pandemic and Irish people are losing their lives and their livelihood by the hundreds of thousands in this country. Are they supposed to give Trocaire more money for Africa now after losing their jobs? (Rhetorical)

We are already sending over a €1 billion a year in aid overseas, which Leo wants to increase to €2 billion per year, plus we are accepting thousands of asylum seekers from these countries; so we are doing enough.

Some of the charities "advertising" on RTE remind me of RTE themselves i.e. extremely well paid management and staff with very poor service provided to the intended recipient.

Some of the charities "advertising" on RTE remind me of RTE themselves i.e. extremely well paid management and staff with very poor service provided to the intended recipient.

Yes, bang on there.

We still remember The Rehab Group and that Angela Kerins one.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rehab-angela-kerins-1335670-Feb2014/

And then John Delaney said he did not have to answer question, because it made
    Kerins cry last time.

You are missing the point of the post (possibly deliberately) i.e. sensory overload when we are in the middle of a worldwide deadly pandemic and Irish people are losing their lives and their livelihood by the hundreds of thousands in this country. Are they supposed to give Trocaire more money for Africa now after losing their jobs? (Rhetorical)

We are already sending over a €1 billion a year in aid overseas, which Leo wants to increase to €2 billion per year, plus we are accepting thousands of asylum seekers from these countries; so we are doing enough.

I didn't miss the point of your original post at all and why would I be playing games by deliberately missing your point anyway?

You were complaining about the prevalence of charities ads on RTE television and I addressed that issue directly backed up by an informative link from a trusted media source.

As to how people could afford to give, of course you are right that those who have lost jobs are not likely to. However there are many at home with lower than normal outgoings due to the lockdown and they may wish to contribute.

Irish Government aid is a good thing because we are a comparatively rich country. The goal of 2 billion you mention is to be reached by 2030. More thn half of current aid is channeled through NGO partners.

There is a Charities regulator and in addition anyone deciding to contribute should do their own due diligence on their chosen charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Would have thought that the Covid 19 pandemic would be be an "ideal" excuse for implementing serious cost savings in RTE ?

Every other media outlet seems to be cutting costs,salaries and in some cases staff.

Was raised here before in these days when there is no sports anywhere ...what are the sports people in RTE doing ?

Are they on reduced wages....enforced holidays...unpaid leave ...furlough or what ?

The ordinary staff in RTE are not paid excessively ...what is wrong is the top heavy management ........and the obscene wedges being paid to the likes of Duffy,Darcy, Tubbs, OCallaghan and many more .

McGaggs wrote: »
    Didn't this movie just take a character or two from Suicide Squad, which was a failure, and try to make a movie out of it. How could anyone expect it to do any better than something that anyone hated ?

Well, Suicide Squad was a comic book first. (Tho Harley appeared in TV first, in Batman the animated series).

Suicide Squad made money, but it was a critical flop. The audience weren't too happy either.

But since Justice League,(barring Wonder Woman and Aquaman) the DC movies haven't made money. I know Shazam made a profit, but was a more modest hit.

I think on Blu-ray it made money, hence the sequel.

Already happening. You know the 'Government Enterprise Support Scheme' that was announced about a week ago?

RTE have already put in the papers to get money out of it.
    Before December, they got somewhere in the region of €60 million. And now they're still losing money.

Idiots running that organisation, to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Birds of Prey's box office release in the cinemas here is released about a month or so before it's gets released in box office in Asia, particularly in China & Japan. Birds of Prey's was to be released in Japan on the 7th of March. The release date here was a month earlier. They have now been called off for any country that has this pandemic. For any countries that have not released movies in their cinema chains yet. The studios are probably stuck between a rock & a hard place about how they plan to release their films provided it doesn't hit the release schedules of their other films already in the cinema. Trolls World Tour from Dreamworks is one example in where it could not get a cinema release here because of the pandemic. TV Spots for this film have appeared numerous times on RTÉ which says that the film will be released At Home on Demand from today. And remember the cinema release delays of 007's No Time to Die until November. RTÉ still put out the Heineken ad's for the movie which said it was still to be released in April instead of November. But it was not RTÉ's fault that they showed the ad's to the viewers with the wrong release date on them. It's the movie studio's fault for doing it because I have seen that mistake happen a few times on ITV as well. Not everyone was immune to that issue.

Advertisement