Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Kivaro wrote: »
    When you see RTE supporters (employees) on here pushing for direct taxation to support the quango, then the rest of us should realise that it is a terrible idea. It would result in a blank cheque book for RTE to continue with their primary objective ........... which is to financially support RTE stars/staff/families/friends.
    I am still amazed that RTE has not offered across the board salary reductions like many governments and businesses are doing across the world in solidarity with the massive amounts of people who have lost their jobs due to this pandemic.

Is Ryan Tubridy really worth paying almost €1/2 million every single year?
    How many damn masks could we buy with that money?
    It is obscene and an insult to all of us in Ireland.

i would expect the people on here "defending" as you put it, rte, are not employees, i certainly am not.
    i would expect the real reason governments and businesses are implementing salary reductions is to save money, not in solidarity with anyone.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

ijohhj wrote: »
    Completely viable and should happen.

If there's media of Irish interest to be made, it should be funded like all other media is. You seek funding either from private companies or from government culture funding schemes.
    Varik wrote: »
    Worst thing that could happen is they get get directly funded as they are now, government would be upping their funding when it suited for good press and RTE finest would be able to hire the whole family.

Should be trimed down to just RTE 1 and news, and a ban on all purchased programming. If they want more they can fund that entirely themselves by ads.

When the Broadcasting Commission gets around to it's task which I presume will be delayed by Covid 19 you should make submissions to support your point of view.

I think a strong Public Broadcasting Service could emerge from the process. I wouldn't agree that one channel is enough.

I also think that if we as a nation want a Public Broadcasting service we need to pay for it. It's too important to be left to the vagaries of private companies or the advertising market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Zamparelli starred in and co-wrote Bridget and Eamon so you cant compare her to the talentless lottie ryan.

i wouldnt be bragging about writing that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i wouldnt be bragging about writing that:D

each to their own

Zamparelli starred in and co-wrote Bridget and Eamon so you cant compare her to the talentless lottie ryan.

Talent is clearly a continuum. But between bottom and top there’s a big difference, but between none (Lottie) and a modicum (Jennifer) there really ain’t much space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

i'm sure you are very happy you are correct in your mind, but it seems rte and other big organisations don't agree.
    they quite rightly don't care what you or i think about the wages they pay to their staff, it's between the staff and their employer..

Any further thoughts on the payroll at RTE, perhaps compared with the Central Bank?

Is the CEO of RTE with a bigger paycheck then the Head of the Central Bank in Ireland for example?

How about the cost of the top ten earners at the Central Bank of Ireland, compared with RTE - everything still looking good to you?

RTE have kindly provided some information on the Central Bank of Ireland's payroll, see link below.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0406/1128906-central-bank-earnings/

Thanks,

G.

elperello wrote: »
    When the Broadcasting Commission gets around to it's task which I presume will be delayed by Covid 19 you should make submissions to support your point of view.

I think a strong Public Broadcasting Service could emerge from the process. I wouldn't agree that one channel is enough.

I also think that if we as a nation want a Public Broadcasting service we need to pay for it. It's too important to be left to the vagaries of private companies or the advertising market.

What about RTE1 & TV4 - that constitutes two TV channels?

Both have a public service broadcast mandate.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

garrettod wrote: »

TG4 get a pittance from the licence fee and in many ways a better channel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »

It used to be- used to get some really great dramas that RTE didn't. Nowadays they'll show a movie that other (Irish) channels don't.

Nowadays its filled with repeats of shows and programs from over 40+ years ago.

Kivaro wrote: »
    When you see RTE supporters (employees) on here pushing for direct taxation to support the quango, then the rest of us should realise that it is a terrible idea. It would result in a blank cheque book for RTE to continue with their primary objective ........... which is to financially support RTE stars/staff/families/friends.
    I am still amazed that RTE has not offered across the board salary reductions like many governments and businesses are doing across the world in solidarity with the massive amounts of people who have lost their jobs due to this pandemic.

Is Ryan Tubridy really worth paying almost €1/2 million every single year?
    How many damn masks could we buy with that money?
    It is obscene and an insult to all of us in Ireland.

Don't forget the 'bargain' of Ray D'arcy, for the same money.

You can't justify that money when you see how bad anything he hosts is.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the 'bargain' of Ray D'arcy, for the same money.

You can't justify that money when you see how bad anything he hosts is.

Ahhh the guy that doesn't know what the play button looks like - in fact he gets very confused when he sees buttons
    How the hell he gets paid what he does is beyond me (is he still going on about his attempt to make sourdough bread?)

Ahhh the guy that doesn't know what the play button looks like - in fact he gets very confused when he sees buttons
    How the hell he gets paid what he does is beyond me (is he still going on about his attempt to make sourdough bread?)

IF anything keeps him out of my vicinity, let him campaign away.

I can avoid the radio (I generally don't listen to it, I have spotify playlists and podcasts), but TV is something I occasionally have on in the background.
    As long as he's not on it, I'm happy.

IF anything keeps him out of my vicinity, let him campaign away.

I can avoid the radio (I generally don't listen to it, I have spotify playlists and podcasts), but TV is something I occasionally have on in the background.
    As long as he's not on it, I'm happy.

He was saying some time ago if he got fired he would have to become a wedding DJ - god help the bride and groom waiting for their wedding dance and he puts on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQkBYd19SI&feature=youtu.be (NSFW)

He was saying some time ago if he got fired he would have to become a wedding DJ - god help the bride and groom waiting for their wedding dance and he puts on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziQkBYd19SI&feature=youtu.be

With all the 'wokeness' going on-he'd be fired for putting that song on.

Can you imagine if he was a Wedding DJ? Some expensive DJ to be charging 500 grand for his 'skills'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hmmm.
    Wonder if Deeeeee is following this thread for hints:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113041853&postcount=3991

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

iseegirls wrote: »

beats showing repeats of Room to Improve & whatever the latest Allison Spittle featured cringe fest is.

^^gotta keep that stuff for the weeknights repeat slots...

beats showing repeats of Room to Improve & whatever the latest Allison Spittle featured cringe fest is.

Did anyone watch that Spittle show to the end?

I barely made it through one episode, can't imagine anyone sticking around for the 6 or 7 episodes it went on for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Seen it was on again a few weeks ago, and was thinking, oh, so they've made season 2 already...... no, turned out to be S01E01

I guess they repeat these (sh1t)shows to death just in case a few hundred thousand people missed it during the first run, and it will catch on and be another Love/Hate runaway success for them, with perhaps the opportunity to sell it to the U.K., Australia & North Korea...

Seen it was on again a few weeks ago, and was thinking, oh, so they've made season 2 already...... no, turned out to be S01E01

I guess they repeat these (sh1t)shows to death just in case a few hundred thousand people missed it during the first run, and it will catch on and be another Love/Hate runaway success for them, with perhaps the opportunity to sell it to the U.K., Australia & North Korea...

Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That can be heard every weekday just after 3pm on radio 1

giphy.gif

I'd be open to persuasion on the matter of how many channels we need.

Obviously RTE 1 and I think maybe a second one plus TG4. That would allow comprehensive coverage of news, current affairs, sport, culture etc.

I think they should build on the strengths of TG4.

Yea, preferably about 4.30am, when most of us are either asleep, or so liquered up that the drink will numb pain :)

Thanks,

G.

elperello wrote: »
    I'd be open to persuasion on the matter of how many channels we need.

Obviously RTE 1 and I think maybe a second one plus TG4. That would allow comprehensive coverage of news, current affairs, sport, culture etc.

I think they should build on the strengths of TG4.

Personally, I think RTE1 and TG4 would serve the purpose nicely.

That's potentially 2 x 24 hour national television broadcasting platforms.

I think it would be extremely unlikely that we would have more than two notable events taking place, that would be worthy of live national TV coverage, with most other categories of programing capable of being rescheduled etc.

Thanks,

G.

Personally, I think RTE1 and TG4 would serve the purpose nicely.

That's potentially 2 x 24 hour national television broadcasting platforms.

I think it would be extremely unlikely that we would have more than two notable events taking place, that would be worthy of live national TV coverage, with most other categories of programing capable of being rescheduled etc.

Like I said I'm open to persuasion on the matter.

I'd like to see a comprehensive business plan with a full breakdown of the running costs and a cost/benefit analysis.

I don't know enough about the broadcasting business to make a judgement at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I would have rte 1 on 24hrs and then an RtE2 coming on at 19pm similar to how Bbc4 operates with RTE news filling in the rest of the time... And tg4 also 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭iseegirls

And tg4 also 24hrs

Can't really see the benefit of that. They struggle to fill a normal schedule as it. Today they have The Weakest Link twice, Little House On Prairie, River Cottage Australia, Murder She Wrote and Gilmore Girls on before 7pm. Those have been repeated to death already on the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭65535

Don't watch/have RTÉ or any channels myself so maybe I should not be commenting, however I do have a TV licence because we have a TV.
    Anyhow I was wondering with the current worldwide situation going on could RTÉ expand on their educational programming to assist those who are out of school ?
    Would RTE2 or Network 2 or whatever it is called these days do that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

iseegirls wrote: »
    Can't really see the benefit of that. They struggle to fill a normal schedule as it. Today they have The Weakest Link twice, Little House On Prairie, River Cottage Australia, Murder She Wrote and Gilmore Girls on before 7pm. Those have been repeated to death already on the channel.

OK so let's have tg4 from 8am to 1am with the first 3 or 4 hours devoted to children's programmes in Irish

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    Don't watch/have RTÉ or any channels myself so maybe I should not be commenting, however I do have a TV licence because we have a TV.
    Anyhow I was wondering with the current worldwide situation going on could RTÉ expand on their educational programming to assist those who are out of school ?
    Would RTE2 or Network 2 or whatever it is called these days do that ?

They are-they're doing a study hub kinda thing.

But it's only for National school children.

Advertisement