Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No it’s not a grey area

If you don’t have a tv you don’t pay a license, but you have a tv so you pay a license, it’s not rocket science

So Skybox plugged into monitor = No license? Grand, I'll cancel my license now then and tell the judge you said it's ok.

I've been involved in TV License debates on boards for maybe 15 years and I can assure you it's never that clear cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' on RTE?

Yes I do, why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

elperello wrote: »
    Yes I do, why do you ask?

I would love to see a re-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,509 ✭✭✭✭elperello

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    I would love to see a re-run.

So would I now that you mention it.
    Drop them an email, it's going to be a long Summer they might be glad to show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So Skybox plugged into monitor = No license? Grand, I'll cancel my license now then and tell the judge you said it's ok.

I've been involved in TV License debates on boards for maybe 15 years and I can assure you it's never that clear cut.

Well you can’t cancel your license....you just don’t renew

Instead of debating on boards for 15 years why didn’t you just ask the tv license people? I know the hold can be long but will be quicker than 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

How long before the self congratulation starts? Expect a Ryan Tubridy comeback special where he's acclaimed a "hero".

🙈🙉🙊

How long before the self congratulation starts? Expect a Ryan Tubridy comeback special where he's acclaimed a "hero".

I very much doubt Ryan or anyone at RTÉ has this virus, it’s just been used as a bit of publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I very much doubt Ryan or anyone at RTÉ has this virus, it’s just been used as a bit of publicity

Wondered how long it would be before some conspiracy theorist dude came down from the attic. !

Wondered how long it would be before some conspiracy theorist dude came down from the attic. !

The Claire Byrne in the shed is a pile of poo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

The Claire Byrne in the shed is a pile of poo!!!

You need to help me on that one Shef....have you let your grand kids on Twitter ?

That Monk feller must have fried your brains .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I've been on the Saorview website and can confirm my 42" Samsung flatscreeen is not saorview compatible. On its own, therefore, it is not capable of picking up a TV signal, while it is a Television.

The Rte Player is not fit for purpose, however, I don't need a license for my laptop to try and use it.

There very much is a grey area in that, if I have a sky box plugged into a computer monitor, why do I need a Television license? If I have a computer monitor solely for watching NetFlix, why do I need a television license, or even do I?

Finally, I'd argue radio is the best and most appropriate medium to get information to the public.

by the looks of things the television being capable of receiving a terrestrial signal is enough to require a license, that is how and why non-rte viewers have to pay a license fee if they have a television.
    even if the television doesn't have the boxes, it is still capable of taking boxes to receive a terrestrial signal whether it be from the uk or ireland or both.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

elperello wrote: »
    I agree that the licence is outdated and should be abolished.

However I do support Public Broadcasting and I have said several times on this thread that I would prefer it to be funded from direct taxation.

That way everyone pays and there are no collection costs or need to chase after evaders.

You would still end up paying for something you don't use but that applies to a lot of things funded from taxation.

I'm good with the principal of your idea, once RTE is shrunk and the payroll / compensation packages of senior staff and contractors dealt with properly.

I would rather have an RTE that's half the size, more efficiently run and then invest in it, for the public benefit.

There's no way that we need to be paying the head of RTE a package of circa €300k per year for example.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    I'm good with the principal of your idea, once RTE is shrunk and the payroll / compensation packages of senior staff and contractors dealt with properly.

I would rather have an RTE that's half the size, more efficiently run and then invest in it, for the public benefit.

There's no way that we need to be paying the head of RTE a package of circa €300k per year for example.

i would suggest that unfortunately there is a need in all likely hood, as people capable of managing a large organisation, even if it was shrunk to only half the size, don't come cheap.

removing the entertainment fluff and bought in programming, and changing 2fm's format, would really sort out most of rte's issues quite quickly as there would be no need for some of the contractors and the better staff whether they be more experienced, or just good, could be kept with the rest removed.

i would suggest that unfortunately there is a need in all likely hood, as people capable of managing a large organisation, even if it was shrunk to only half the size, don't come cheap.

removing the entertainment fluff and bought in programming, and changing 2fm's format, would really sort out most of rte's issues quite quickly as there would be no need for some of the contractors and the better staff whether they be more experienced, or just good, could be kept with the rest removed.

How many times have 2fm changed the format? The day Gerry Ryan does they should have shut up. They are flogging a dead horse since then

How many times have 2fm changed the format? The day Gerry Ryan does they should have shut up. They are flogging a dead horse since then

that's the thing, they haven't actually changed format at all, just presenters throughout the years and show schedules.

2fm is still a popular music service aimed at the youth market. it needs to change from that completely, taking the programming from one of the digital stations is a way i have suggested that it could continue to provide actual ps content and provide a ps remit and in turn justify it's existence. it's going nowhere ultimately i would expect so it's better if it could provide something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Agreed- it's a station that doesn't know it's audience, frankly.

Are they aimed at the 'youth' market? Well, that ship has sailed. Spotify takes care of their needs.

Their target demographic aren't turning on the radio. They don't need it.

that's the thing, they haven't actually changed format at all, just presenters throughout the years and show schedules.

2fm is still a popular music service aimed at the youth market. it needs to change from that completely, taking the programming from one of the digital stations is a way i have suggested that it could continue to provide actual ps content and provide a ps remit and in turn justify it's existence. it's going nowhere ultimately i would expect so it's better if it could provide something different.

2fm is not popular, i did post on here before but the target audience for 2fm actually listen to local radio more than national.

2fm have tried changing the format and also the radio presenter and no change. Hiring an ex boyband member to push number and all sorts have been done.

The current breakfast is a disaster and that been the same for many many many, it was ok with Jen and that setup but they tried to push Lottie into that and f**ked it up

As I said they are flogging a dead horse, it’s becoming less relevant and costing a fortune, dump it now

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lottie Ryan on the cover of 3 magazines at the checkouts in my local Super Valu last night. RTE pushing her harder than ever now, as predicted. RTE determined to make her a star (:rolleyes:) no matter what. They have a duty to enrich the offspring and extended families of former contractors at our expense.

Lottie Ryan on the cover of 3 magazines at the checkouts in my local Super Valu last night. RTE pushing her harder than ever now, as predicted. RTE determined to make her a star (:rolleyes:) no matter what. They have a duty to enrich the offspring and extended families of former contractors at our expense.

Awful isnt it, she is f**king terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don’t understand why they allow the pay packages to presenters.

I don’t understand why they continue to pump 25m into imports

I don’t understand why 2fm got an increase to n funding from the license fee with no real cuts to its costs, 9 years on its license fee should be dropped.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I don’t understand why they allow the pay packages to presenters.

I don’t understand why they continue to pump 25m into imports

I don’t understand why 2fm got an increase to n funding from the license fee with no real cuts to its costs, 9 years on its license fee should be dropped.

According to Dee the pay package is because they have to be competitive, which everyone doubts

The 25m, maybe some of it makes sense as not everyone has Netflix etc....

2FM should be shut today.....its awful

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Flicked past the Late Late last night during the segment when they had all the Aer Lingus pilots on. I watched for a few minutes as I'd have a mild interest in aviation.

Miriam was going round them all to have a brief chat with them, and then came up with the following gem when speaking to one of them;

Miriam: So, 'pilot', you were on annual leave when you got the call and were asked to pilot one of these flights. Tell me, what was that like?

Cutting edge as ever from Miriam "€300,000 a year" O'Callaghan

Would have been great if the guy responded;

Yes Miriam, It's actually a funny story, I was at home on annual leave, and I got a phone call asking if I could fly to China.

The TV license fee will have to increase when we have the litter from Miriam to support in a few years

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The TV license fee will have to increase when we have the litter from Miriam to support in a few years

We might even need to create a 3fm to ensure we can get them all some air time

We might even need to create a 3fm to ensure we can get them all some air time

Lyric FM? They can move to limerick

The 25m, maybe some of it makes sense as not everyone has Netflix etc....

I love to see these shows marketed by RTÉ, seems to me they are dump on the player and late night with no promotion. They could easily reduce it to 15m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Nah Miriam will be up in the Arus by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Holy shoite. Never thought of that.
    Can't have them 'starving' on the streets though ............ even during the upcoming Great Depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Nah Miriam will be up in the Arus by then
    I read that completely differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

Sure, I knew that you've got to hire talent and capable management don't come at minimum wage, but I also know that there are a lot of very capable senior, experienced, management working for less than half of what RTE pay Dee Forbes for example.

I consider it very difficult to justify paying someone in RTE over €100k pa, and certainly not more than €150k pa no matter what position they have.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement