Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Don't hate weddings per se, but standard Irish weddings do my head in. Big, impersonal summonings, you don't get to spend any time with the people you actually travel for and spend a load of money. The standard food is usually awful. Most big hotel reception rooms are tacky and look like they haven't been re-done in about 30 years (par the new LED lights in either pink or purple). The horrendous amount of fake tan, they all look orange, I swear.
    The present attitude, the resentment that builds up when people don't get their preferred amount or present. or the next level, the expectation to fund their wedding from gifts.
    And my personal favourite: Parents of the bridal party inviting their old pals that have seen bride/groom when they've been babies, yet they show up. I wouldn't wanna have anyone I've never really seen shooing around there and as said guest it would feel pretty strange too.

If you don't wanna go, don't go, your absence isn't going to stand out, save yourself the money and write a card instead with a Harvey Normal voucher or 50 quid in if you're close to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I was bridesmaid for my friend last year, they made their invitations look like a summons, it was quite amusing :)

Mmm. I had that too, wonder was it the same wedding?

Bank holiday weekend in Gorey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

You say you have to go and that is understandable, you don't want to fall out with your brother/sister.
    It's one of those occasions where you just grin and bear it. Alternatively, just go to the wedding ceremony itself, get your mug in a picture and just feck off after it, your gift will cover the ****ty meal anyway. If you get challenged just say you took ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm not arrogant.

I have been to some awful weddings and I have been to some good ones.

All depends on how it's done and what people you are with.

I just wouldn't deem all weddings to be a pain and bad food etc. That is just miserable.

It's also very easy not to go to a wedding, just say you can't go.

Most people are saying that in general they find modern weddings long, impersonal and very expensive affairs and they don't really enjoy them. That is not miserable, anymore than someone saying that they don't like night clubs, going to the theatre or whatever is miserable.
    Going to the wedding and spending the entire day going around with a long face and complaining about everything would be miserable, but I've never seen a guest do that, even the ones I know would really rather not be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Most people are saying that in general they find modern weddings long, impersonal and very expensive affairs and they don't really enjoy them. That is not miserable, anymore than someone saying that they don't like night clubs, going to the theatre or whatever is miserable.
    Going to the wedding and spending the entire day going around with a long face and complaining about everything would be miserable, but I've never seen a guest do that, even the ones I know would really rather not be there.

Wait till we bump into each other at a wedding :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

valoren wrote: »
    You say you have to go and that is understandable, you don't want to fall out with your brother/sister.
    It's one of those occasions where you just grin and bear it. Alternatively, just go to the wedding ceremony itself, get your mug in a picture and just feck off after it. Let your sibling know that you'll be there for that but to let their kid know not to have you down for the meal.

If you get challenged about that tell them you're going to the wedding and that you couldn't give a ****e about the meal, band, cocktail sausages etc.

My elderly mother started to do this a few years ago. If she was invited to a niece or nephew's wedding she would go to the Church and back to the hotel for the drink reception and then head off. Her logic was that the young couple couldn't care less if their old aunt stayed for the meal or not, and by showing up she was keeping her own sibling happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

rawn wrote: »
    This!! There was something on the Spin103.8. Facebook page recently about some woman who lost her house due to the debt racked up from attending weddings, because it would be a social "faux pas" not to attend.

Just let that sink in for a moment...

I did let it sink in and it’s still downright stupid. No saving these people, best not to give them attention

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/woman-debt-friends-weddings-home-lost-this-morning-georgina-childs-a8320011.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭victor8600

you can’t get too drunk

Wait, what?
    you can’t get too drunk or the extended family will be gossiping about you

The way I see it, they will gossip about you anyway. Think about it. If you do not drink, one could assume that you have something to hide. Stands to reason that whatever you are hiding is more embarrassing than being seeing drunk. And now the imagination runs wild :D

Use reverse psychology -- get drunk, make a scene. You will have something benign for your relatives to gossip about. You may even be excluded from further weddings! Win/win situation.

I was referring more to the OP's attitude in their original post where he/she's just complaining about everything and comes across as very miserable. All food is poor etc.

I stand by that completely.

I do get how people find weddings nowadays are changed. Between weekend stags and hens, often abroad, two day affairs with follow up BBQs, it has become too much and a lot of it is for show and keeping up with the Jones's but you can still control what you go to or don't go to.

For example I had an invite last year and skipped hotel the night before and after and just went to the one day event. Enjoyed it and went about my own way the next day whilst they carried on with a BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

JohnnyFlash your certainly not. Save everyone the bother and decline the invitation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You don't HAVE to go, you know.
    You kind of do though. And you have to give 150 as a gift if you’re single, or 300 if you’re a couple. They are nearly always a complete waste of a day. As I said, the only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll chat up a bird later on in the evenings, and retire to the massively overpriced room for a bit of the beast with two backs.

But you really don't have to go though.

People who think they "have to" go and "have to" give x amount of money are part of the problem. Stop going to weddings you don't want to go to. Stop giving money you don't want to give. And the problem goes away.

Cousins and the like don't invite me to weddings or hen parties or any other absolute bollox event because they know I won't go.
    The last wedding invitation I got from a cousin was nearly 10 years ago. This big fancy envelope arrived to my house, inside was a big scroll with these plastic things on either end so you could open up the scroll. The invitation was all this Mary's parents and John's parents invite you to celebrate blah blah blah, rsvp here, website there, lists of pre and post wedding activities - what are these people on??? I didn't even know who Mary and John were. I mean, if you don't know the people, why are they even inviting you?! Texted my sister, it turned out to be a cousin I hadn't seen since in around 10 years. That invitation got thrown in the fire, they wasted their money there. They invited 250 people to that wedding, imagine the cost of the invitations alone?!
    If people can afford to have big weddings, great, but the vast majority of people have a big wedding funded by loans, credit cards and on the hopes of lots of cash gifts from people.
    This!! There was something on the Spin103.8. Facebook page recently about some woman who lost her house due to the debt racked up from attending weddings, because it would be a social "faux pas" not to attend.

And you believed that story:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The standard irish wedding is pure ****e. Nothing to recommend it.

I have the feeling people just forget that the day means a lot to them and their closest family, most other people simply don't give a toss beside being there at the stated time, getting some drinks and grub and p1ss off again.

It's just a billion euro industry and completely misses the point. The nice saying is "getting married costs 200 quid for the green folder", everything else is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We've attended 13 weddings over the last 2 years.
    2 this year and 3 next year.
    They were mostly ones we wanted to attend anyway, most were a great laugh, living away from Ireland it was great catching up with friends and all that.

But some can be a right chore, on a few of them we were gone after the first dance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hate them. Full of people I barely know, small talk. Have to buy something to wear. Have to provide a gift. Hours of waiting around for people to arrive/ say their sh*t about vows etc., hours of waiting for photographer to finish up, speeches, lukewarm prosecco. Sh*te food and rarely a "veggie" option that isn't salmon. Limited options at the bar and cheesey music after. Everyone getting sloshed and desperate spinster bridesmaids throwing shapes on the dancefloor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Does anyone actually enjoy Irish weddings?

Not me anyway - hate them. Terrible day out, over priced, over hyped, just shíte from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The typical Irish wedding is just re-hashed drivel and is an awful occasion. No originality to them and most are just a money grabbing racket. I'm glad I can use the excuse of living abroad not to have to attend most of the ones I am invited to.

People who think they "have to" go and "have to" give x amount of money are part of the problem. Stop going to weddings you don't want to go to. Stop giving money you don't want to give. And the problem goes away.

I always get the cringe when people give out about what they "have" to give. If you only can afford to give a box of biscuits, then give that. If you wanna get them a Tipperary crystal vase, do that. Sure, cash makes sense because they can do whatever, but the couple can't act like ar5ehole royalty when they get some picture frame or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

What an absolute moron.

I love weddings, yes they are expensive and yes they can take up a lot of weekends but it's always lovely to hang out with friends / family and usually get to see a new part of the country (or a different venue at least).

If people don't enjoy spending time with family / friends in that type of situation then don't go. If you need to go to save face then just go to the ceremony, give them a card and apologise that you can't stay for the reception. If the church is too far away, send a card and apologies that you can't make it. None of this is a big deal.

Unless it's your closest friends or family getting married you really won't be missed and if it is your closest friend or sibling for example then why would you hate spending time with them in the first place?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Opened the letter box this morning, and discovered an invite to the wedding of my nephew and his girlfriend. Has put me in bad mood as a result. I’ll have to go, but I’d rather get a 5-fingered prostate exam than attend to be honest. Does anyone actually enjoy Irish weddings?

They take all day. They cost a fortune. The food is nearly always shîte, you end up talking to cousins and other relations you hate, the speeches are always the same, you can’t get too drunk or the extended family will be gossiping about you, you don’t know who you’ll be sitting beside, the music is terrible. Just a really bad day out. The only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll get the ride at the end of the night.

When will start having w mature conversation about this? No one wants to go to these dreadful affairs only Bridezilla and her bridesmaids. Fiasco.

How about being mature enough to decline the invitation and realise nobody really cares if you go?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Think a lot depends on the guest list. If it's small and everyone kind of knows everyone else it's OK. When it gets to 250 plus and I'm sitting beside auntie Margaret on the "others" table it can be a bit grim. But I enjoy them overall, good craic and get to meet up with a lot of my friends at once.

You kind of do though. And you have to give 150 as a gift if you’re single, or 300 if you’re a couple. They are nearly always a complete waste of a day. As I said, the only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll chat up a bird later on in the evenings, and retire to the massively overpriced room for a bit of the beast with two backs.

This gift thing does annoy me.

You do not have to give €150.

Why would you? I have gone to plenty of weddings and given €100 as a couple and not been an issue.

How can people complain about a gift?

I've heard other people justifying by saying well the couple are paying for your food etc but I think that's rubbish.

You should be invited as you mean something to them and they want you to be part of their day and not just be a cash cow.

Weddings should be viewed as one of those occasions in life that cost money.

Years ago people just got household stuff as presents so where does this ridiculous idea of €150 a head come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    desperate spinster bridesmaids throwing shapes on the dancefloor :pac:

Sorry but that is just complete boll*x. Having been to 15+ weddings in the last couple of years I have never once witnessed a desperate bridesmaid and the word spinster is just insulting really.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If your username correlates in any way with the amount of euros you stuff in a card I think I might know why you keep getting invited. :p

Become a stinge. Give them a cheap toaster in a battered box with lots of dust on it. Bonus points if the price tag is still in Punts and there's a gift tag from 1983 in the box addressed to you and the missus congratulating you both on your wedding from a long dead relative.

Do that, I guarantee the invites will dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

no, you definitely don't.

Yes, I definitely do. The bride(zilla) is my wife's eldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Biggest load of sh*t ever:
    - People having a big church wedding even though they haven't been in the church in years and then expect you to do the same.
    - Then you have the hassle of driving to the church and to the hotel afterwards - couple of hours driving if you're not living in the same town as the church or hotel.
    - Cheap, miserable cu*ts having their wedding on a Thursday (Friday isn't as bad) and you've to take a few days off work for it. Have a friend tell me he was doing this on purpose, cheaper but they'll still make loads of money from gifts.
    - So much waiting around between the church, hotel, dinner etc..
    - Speeches are usually sh*t - go on for ages and loads of in-jokes that no-one outside the immediate family get.
    - Music is usually sh*t.
    - Spending 30k on a piss-up - most people starting married life in debt because of it - idiots.
    - Spending stupid money on stuff like the engagement rings - even though their real value is only about a 10th of the actual price.
    - The traditions like asking the father of the bride for permission to marry his daughter or giving her away like she's a commodity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Hate them. Ran off and got married in secret abroad myself and saved everyone the bother. And the siblings and in laws had very quiet, lovely, low-key affairs. I cannot understand people shelling out that much money - you could have a fab holiday every year for a couple of decades with that amount of dosh! And probably love each other all the more because of it. The few I have been to seemed super stressful for at least the bride - plus the make-up, Jesus Christ, what's going on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

erica74 wrote: »
    But you really don't have to go though.

Simply not true. My OH was been in the same job for the last 5 years during that time she has obviously made work friends, 4 or 5 of those have been very good to her over that time. One of those friends(really sound girl) is to get married in 2 months, all she can talk about for the last few months is the wedding.
    If my OH doesn't go to the wedding it will certainly mean the end of the friendship. If we don't go as a couple it will also cause problems.

This is how weddings work.

How is the problem solved by simply not going?

marvin80 wrote: »
    - Cheap, miserable cu*ts having their wedding on a Thursday (Friday isn't as bad) and you've to take a few days off work for it. Have a friend tell me he was doing this on purpose, cheaper but they'll still make loads of money from gifts.

Agree with all par that one, when you wanna have a civil ceremony with an HSE registrar you only can do it from Monday - Friday. It's grand when couples accept the fact not everyone will be around because of work, but jesus, there are some people getting seriously worked up over others not taking annual leave for their party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Why do you have to go?

Advertisement