Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

After a tough couple of long runs I actually really enjoyed todays! Got lost a couple of times but think it actually helped keep the boredom at bay! Thinking of getting one of those camelbaks you recommended skyblue..does it feel heavy or bop around a lot on your back though?

It wasn't me! I'm just not into "stuff". I don't bring anything with me on runs under 2.5 hours so long as they are nice and easy paced. Herself brought a backpack thingy on a running trip to the Camino and had no problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hi Coogy. There are a couple of things about this which are relevant to all the rest of the group. There are 3 areas where we can influence the likelihood of staying as injury free as possible. They are the distances we run, the paces we run at and the number of days we run. We all know that distances should only be stepped up slowly and that paces only increase very gradually over time. However the number of days per week we run should also be a gradual process. If someone is used to running 3 days a week and wants to run 5 then make sure to spend a few weeks running 4 times per week first. Sudden increases in running volume along with the lessening of available recovery time is something which needs to be done step by step.

Hi Skyblue46, thanks again for your advice.

I suppose I afforded myself the extra running day this week as the distances weren't too bad.
    It was definitely my plan - especially now with the longer LSR's kicking in next week - to make use of the two rest days as I definitely think I will need them at this stage.
    I think I may have to re-jig the order of the runs in my schedule a little bit going forward to accommodate the longer runs......

coogy wrote: »
    Hi Skyblue46, thanks again for your advice.

I suppose I afforded myself the extra running day this week as the distances weren't too bad.
    It was definitely my plan - especially now with the longer LSR's kicking in next week - to make use of the two rest days as I definitely think I will need them at this stage.
    I think I may have to re-jig the order of the runs in my schedule a little bit going forward to accommodate the longer runs......

I have to repeat again it wasn't aimed at you, it's for everyone. It just so happens that your last couple of posts brought a few relevant points to mind and I quoted you. I promise it's not a witch hunt! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was thinking something similar today, I had been doing 10k races recently and so today's 13k lsr was very easy for me, I was tempted to pick up the pace and get it done.

But this week's runs aren't done in isolation, they are just one part of a larger plan and they are set at this pace and distance for a reason. I think it's a dangerous game to decide week to week that the plan is wrong and you should do something different.

It's common advice in a race that you don't go out too fast, that going too quick at the start leaves you fading before the end.

Marathon training is no different.

I have to repeat again it wasn't aimed at you, it's for everyone. It just so happens that your last couple of posts brought a few relevant points to mind and I quoted you. I promise it's not a witch hunt! Haha

Ah of course, I know that!
    I mean, who doesn't like to be quoted from time to time!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My long run is pencilled in for tomorrow morning. Did something each day this week, and today was my rest day, which I spent out in the sun for 12 hours painting the house. So bed early, up at 5.30, bit of fodder and off running at 7am

My long run is pencilled in for tomorrow morning. Did something each day this week, and today was my rest day, which I spent out in the sun for 12 hours painting the house. So bed early, up at 5.30, bit of fodder and off running at 7am

What would be your fuel of choice before an early run like that?
    I didnt have the luxury of being able to wait for that long between eating and running this morning. Had an orange after i got up and seemed to do the trick.

coogy wrote: »
    What would be your fuel of choice before an early run like that?
    I didnt have the luxury of being able to wait for that long between eating and running this morning. Had an orange after i got up and seemed to do the trick.

No idea! Never went for a long run at that time before. I'll probably get something light. So maybe a banana and coffee. I think porridge might be too heavy, and cereal too liquidy and it be sloshing around the belly.

No idea! Never went for a long run at that time before. I'll probably get something light. So maybe a banana and coffee. I think porridge might be too heavy, and cereal too liquidy and it be sloshing around the belly.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20853982/the-proper-way-to-fuel-before-a-long-run/

Notice that it refers to runs over 2 hours. Right now your body has stored enough for the length of runs you are doing. Trialling different breakfasts is a good idea in order to find out if anything upsets your tummy by the time the really long runs and DCM itself

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Peterpower

During my long run this morning I came across the park run in St. Annes as they were about to start. Great way to get 5K done with plently of support along the way. Will definitely try work it in again, made my run feel a lot shorter this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Quick question: Next week on the plan is a 10m LSR, I am registered for a 10 mile race in Roscommon, would I better off trying to keep it as close to a LSR as I can or is it ok to give it socks? I am registered for the Race Series so I will be doing the South Dublin 10k race 2 weeks later, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Like yourself I’m doing the Roscommon race. Signed up ages ago. Personally I’m treating it like an LSR. Doing it with my wife who is trying to find comfort at that distance and she is returning from a fall so it all points towards an easy run for it. So it works for me to treat it as a LSR while spending time with my wife. That’s if we don’t kill each other by the end of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whiskey_sour

It wasn't me! I'm just not into "stuff". I don't bring anything with me on runs under 2.5 hours so long as they are nice and easy paced. Herself brought a backpack thingy on a running trip to the Camino and had no problems with it.
    Ah apologies, got the posts confused! Yeah usually I just stop at a water fountain during my run but with this weather and the longer runs I ended up parched today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah apologies, got the posts confused! Yeah usually I just stop at a water fountain during my run but with this weather and the longer runs I ended up parched today!

I have a backpack that I used training for my first two marathons. Very handy and I just slipped away the whole time. I didn’t use it training for cork at all and had a flipbelt with the curved bottle you can buy with it and used carry a small kids water bottle too that I’d bin half way round. Didn’t have the heat that we currently have though.

Sup of black coffee and a banana eaten now. I'll see if that can power me for this mornings run

Done and dusted. 16k@5.34min/km. Not a bother, but got hungry near the end. Week 1 done

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

First long run of HH1 done. 10k at 6:02min/km
    Felt like I could go again at the end. Lovelly morning for a run.

I didn't use the foam roller for the last 2 weeks and I can feel it. My calves felt a bit dead for most of the run. If you havn't tried a foam roller I would recommend getting one.

Moved my LSR to this morning after needing to get a few things done yesterday. Also felt it might be more beneficial to run after gorging at a family BBQ than before it! Got up early and headed out. Nice hazy sunshine run. I was targeting 8M/13KM (running the HHN2 plan here). Ran the first 7K with my wife. I could see she was struggling as it was her first run in a week after the fall so as we headed back into town I provided her the option to take the short way back while I continued on for the second half of it.

Generally happy with the run. A rather sedate one really. Pace was variably in places I found. I don't think I quite settled into a steady rythym, particularly as I was mindful of how my wife was doing during the first part of the run. That said, I did find myself varying on the second part. Definitely times I was questioning if the watch was just having me jump all over the place at times!

Happy enough. I'm going to get off my butt now and finally join the Strava group with the rest of you which I kept putting on the long finger. While I'm sitting her now, going to chalk that one off the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done everyone on getting through week 1 and in a heatwave too, no less!

Here’s what’s ahead for Week 2 of DCM training:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wed|Thurs|Fri|Sat|Sun
    NNH1|rest|3m easy|3m easy|3m easy|rest|7m lsr|cross
    Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 3m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|10m lsr|2m rec

This week introduces the Boards followers to their first pace (PMP or Planned Marathon Pace) run! This is an opportunity to run a little bit faster than your easy pace but please please try to be realistic when picking your PMP.

The table below indicates roughly the marathon pace (in km or in miles) required for the various target times at 15 minute intervals:

Marathon|Pace/km|Pace/mi
    3:30|5:00|8:00
    3:45|5:20|8:35
    4:00|5:40|9:10
    4:15|6:00|9:45
    4:30|6:20|10:20
    4:45|6:40|10:50
    5:00|7:00|11:25
    5:15|7:20|12:00
    5:30|7:40|12:35
    5:45|8:00|13:05
    6:00|8:20|13:40

The w/u and c/d can be done at your easy pace.

For anyone who is still in doubt about the pace for their easy, lsr and recovery runs - here is the link to the McMillan Running Calculator where you can put in a recent race or park run time and there’s a link for ‘Training Paces’ which should sort you out.

A rough way to calculate marathon predicted time is
    (Half marathon time x 2) + 20 mins

racersedge, Summerflower and anyone else racing 10m race next weekend - the advice at this stage is to treat it as an LSR if you can, alternatively if want to up the pace then you could run 3-5 miles at MP instead of this weeks pace run - if you are doing this then you can do the pace run at easy pace instead.

Don’t forget to keep hydrating in this warm weather and don’t forget the sunscreen!

Have a good week all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

You'll have to add me to the injured list. I've hurt my shoulder. Only got 2 runs in this week and no long run. Better to happen now than in a couple of months, I guess. Hoping it will settle by mid-week.

ariana` wrote: »

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|1m w/u, 3m pace, 1m c/d|3m rec|rest,cross or 3m rec|10m lsr|2m rec

This week introduces the Boards followers to their first pace (PMP or Planned Marathon Pace) run! This is an opportunity to run a little bit faster than your easy pace but please please try to be realistic when picking your PMP.

The table below indicates roughly the marathon pace (in km or in miles) required for the various target times at 15 minute intervals:

Marathon|Pace/km|Pace/mi

For anyone who is still in doubt about the pace for their easy, lsr and recovery runs - here is the link to the McMillan Running Calculator where you can put in a recent race or park run time and there’s a link for ‘Training Paces’ which should sort you out.

racersedge, Summerflower and anyone else racing 10m race next weekend - the advice at this stage is to treat it as an LSR if you can, alternatively if want to up the pace then you could run 3-5 miles at MP instead of this weeks pace run - if you are doing this then you can do the pace run at easy pace instead.

Don’t forget to keep hydrating in this warm weather and don’t forget the sunscreen!

Thanks Ariana, much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭effibear

I’m probably missing something obvious here but does anyone else’s strava show a quicker pace than the watch. My average pace was 20s quicker on strava than my watch for the same run?

effibear wrote: »
    I’m probably missing something obvious here but does anyone else’s strava show a quicker pace than the watch. My average pace was 20s quicker on strava than my watch for the same run?

Did you stop the watch? Strava excludes stops of the watch.

Did you stop the watch? Strava excludes stops of the watch.
    I stopped to get a drink in the shop but didn’t stop the watch. Looking at the splits it looks like strava excluded this, thanks

effibear wrote: »
    I stopped to get a drink in the shop but didn’t stop the watch. Looking at the splits it looks like strava excluded this, thanks

There are options on sports watches (and in some cases this is automatically enabled - learned this on my wife's watch) that will 'pause' the run if you are running below a certain pace/pre-determined pace or detects you as stopped. Chances are when you stopped in the shop, it detected that your pace was no longer running and paused your run until you got back going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If auto pause is enabled on your watch, disable it.
    Otherwise you'll be in the marathon and stop to tie your laces or go to the toilet and it won't tell you an accurate time

RayCun wrote: »
    If auto pause is enabled on your watch, disable it.
    Otherwise you'll be in the marathon and stop to tie your laces or go to the toilet and it won't tell you an accurate time

The watch was the correct time, it’s just when it uploaded to strava it said I completed the distance nearly 5 mins quicker than that on my watch. I’ll check out the settings on strava, but at least my watch is the right time. As you’ve rightly pointed out I’ll probably stop at some point during marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

ariana` wrote: »

Marathon|Pace/km|Pace/mi

Ariana you're a star. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

juke wrote: »
    You'll have to add me to the injured list. I've hurt my shoulder. Only got 2 runs in this week and no long run. Better to happen now than in a couple of months, I guess. Hoping it will settle by mid-week.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not started my actual plan yet but you’ll be glad to hear even as a keen parkrunner (with a time to improve upon in Tymon!), slowed down to a 29.30 5k on Saturday despite setting a PB in Marlay a week prior of 22.50.

• Advertisement

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Not started my actual plan yet but you’ll be glad to hear even as a keen parkrunner (with a time to improve upon in Tymon!), slowed down to a 29.30 5k on Saturday despite setting a PB in Marlay a week prior of 22.50.

What is your actual plan?

Advertisement