Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Lol that wasn't assault, he's also a liar saying 90% of their posters have been torn down in public and that they can't get this message out to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

A philosophical one from me. Who coined The phrases prolife and pro abortion? I think everyone is all for people living their lives. Every gravestone has lives demarcated from date of birth to death. (Please don’t take this to mean I advocate abortion up to 40 weeks as it would be nonsensical logic). We all say someone ‘lived’ from 19XX-whatever. And I think none of us are mad about abortion. It’s an awful thing to go through and it’s not done lightly. The terminology is awful. Pro choice and anti choice are far more appropriate terms to describe everyone. And let’s face it, more honest. There are some nutters on both sides of the argument of course, cos there are plenty of nutters out there, but there is a lot of passion too. We all have been guilty of adopting an ‘us’ and ‘them’ mentality. I actually think education and science is the way forward to bringing people to a more respectful debate.

That said, I think it is really sad that the church has taken the stance that it has. I do think religion is a source of strength for many people and many of the ideals that were imparted to me as a child are sound. I’m sad that I feel like I’ve to turn my back on the church for getting this so wrong (on top of all of the other mistakes it has made). I will continue to believe in something, but I don’t buy that the God I have instilled in me would want anything but the 8th to be repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I needed a series of vaccinations for work but also had to tell them when my last period was before each inoculation. I didn't question it at the time but I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't remember or had an irregular cycle.

I have 8-9 periods a year. My cycle is crazy and I sometimes skip a month. I have been known to lie about my last period to doctors so I get the treatment I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

January wrote: »

I wasn't sure what was going on at the beginning.

I'm still not sure what was actually going on.

It was genuinely like looking into a time wimey distortion thing. 1950/60's Ireland and 2010's technology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

There's actually a video of that alleged incident. There's something quite comical about the exchange really.

"Why can't I put up these posters? You made you the arbiter of all of Galway?"

"**** yourself and **** your mother"

Obviously there are fringe elements on both sides that do their fellow campaigners a disservice, this mysterious 'bearded man' is among them.

It looks like he threw himself down the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭baldbear

There's actually a video of that alleged incident. There's something quite comical about the exchange really.

"Why can't I put up these posters? You made you the arbiter of all of Galway?"

"**** yourself and **** your mother"

Obviously there are fringe elements on both sides that do their fellow campaigners a disservice, this mysterious 'bearded man' is among them.

Appears he threw himself down the steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

That Save the 8th campaigner should be booked for simulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

It's awful when you see a friend of yours launch into an anti choice unmerciful rant about abortion. We all have our own opinion but when it comes to words like women should be ashamed of themselves for having abortions. It gives you a bit of a kick in the gut :(

I think this referendum and accompanying propaganda battle is effecting a lot of friendships and perhaps even relationships (to a lesser extent hopefully).

These arguments seem to have a tendency to get pretty heated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

mohawk wrote: »
    I needed a series of vaccinations for work but also had to tell them when my last period was before each inoculation. I didn't question it at the time but I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't remember or had an irregular cycle.

I have 8-9 periods a year. My cycle is crazy and I sometimes skip a month. I have been known to lie about my last period to doctors so I get the treatment I need.

I tried to lie and say I was a lifelong lesbian and ergo not pregnant. No dice.

Told a different radiologist I had a period today (I'm 48, two in three weeks is possible!). X-ray is back in for Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

baldbear wrote: »
    It looks like he threw himself down the steps.

I honestly think he just lost his balance with the height of the ladder and the small amount of push between them.

Very easy to happen really. I don't think it's really a case of acting it up or assault either.

Would love to know what the actual story with the bearded fella is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ASISEEIT

This is a total strawman and one you've been corrected on before. It is not about "respectability" when it comes to rape. It is about whether you force a woman to carry to term the child of someone who brutally traumatized them. It is about whether you force them to endure the automatic increase in risk to their life and health for a decision they never made, and a risk they never consented to take.

I know of nobody who takes the position you ascribe to the pro-choice side.

If you keep repeating this misrepresentation then you are, frankly, a liar.

Rape crisis centre has revealed only 12 cases of rape pregnancies last ten years. Its very rare. Most kept kids . Its not a major issue and should not be used
    as a reason to introduce abortion in a widespread fashion

ASISEEIT wrote: »
    Rape crisis centre has revealed only 12 cases of rape pregnancies last ten years. Its very rare. Most of the 12 kept kids

Reported cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Rape crisis centre has revealed only 12 cases of rape pregnancies last ten years. Its very rare. Most of the 12 kept kids

That's the ones disclosed to them.

I used to work for Womens Aid, rape resulting in pregnancy was rare but I'd hear stories of it at least once a month. The women never reported it to the authorities for obvious reasons. A lot of those women wanted abortion but again for obvious reasons, it wasn't an option for them.

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's the ones disclosed to them.

I used to work for Womens Aid, rape resulting in pregnancy was rare but I'd hear stories of it at least once a month. The women never reported it to the authorities for obvious reasons. A lot of those women wanted abortion but again for obvious reasons, it wasn't an option for them.

Valid point but its still very rare. Why was abortion not an option ? Were they imprisioned ?

Valid point but its still very rare

Yeah it's rare but it doesn't matter to the women involved how many others are out there, we should still give them choice

Valid point but its still very rare. Why was abortion not an option ? Were they imprisioned ?

It wasn't an option because it's not available here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I tried to lie and say I was a lifelong lesbian and ergo not pregnant. No dice.

Told a different radiologist I had a period today (I'm 48, two in three weeks is possible!). X-ray is back in for Tuesday

They don't believe you if you say you can't be pregnant as you haven't had sex in ages either.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Yeah it's rare but it doesn't matter to the women involved how many others are out there, we should still give them choice

They have it under existing law

They have it under existing law

Abortion isn't available to rape victims here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Rape crisis centre has revealed only 12 cases of rape pregnancies last ten years. Its very rare. Most kept kids . Its not a major issue and should not be used

I agree with you that we should not legislate for a minority. But that’s as far as I go.

I believe we need to legislate for ALL women. The proposed legislation strikes a good balance IMO by allowing abortion freely up to 12 weeks, and in special cases thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Here's a long list of rare conditions

https://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/diseases-by-category/12/blood-diseases

Should we stop all treatment for them because they are rare?

You may not think of terminating a pregnancy as treatment but to the woman who's is pregnant it may be the only option left for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

A vile No poster has just gone up today beside our local national school.
    I think the No folks are hugely underestimating the impact these posters will have.
    Only idiots will make their mind up based on posters alone but I think the No posters will push more people to the Yes side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

This is a total strawman and one you've been corrected on before. It is not about "respectability" when it comes to rape. It is about whether you force a woman to carry to term the child of someone who brutally traumatized them. It is about whether you force them to endure the automatic increase in risk to their life and health for a decision they never made, and a risk they never consented to take.

How do you feel about women being denied medical treatment when they are 1000% not pregnant but our laws ignore their pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

A vile No poster has just gone up today beside our local national school.
    I think the No folks are hugely underestimating the impact these posters will have.
    Only idiots will make their mind up based on posters alone but I think the No posters will push more people to the Yes side.

As awful as it sounds, I want to see how vicious the Save/Retain side will go. Let them show their face.

And continue to combat them with actual facts, actual victims, and actual problems due to the 8th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

wexie wrote: »
    I think this referendum and accompanying propaganda battle is effecting a lot of friendships and perhaps even relationships (to a lesser extent hopefully).

These arguments seem to have a tendency to get pretty heated.

I wouldn't lose a friend over it, or have a heated argument about it. I was just really surprised to hear the language used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

They couldn't afford to travel, they didn't have the right paperwork to travel, they couldn't find someone else to look after their own children so they could travel, they couldn't get the time off work to travel... There's just some of the reasons why abortion isn't an option for a lot of people.

As awful as it sounds, I want to see how vicious the Save/Retain side will go. Let them show their face.

And continue to combat them with actual facts, actual victims, and actual problems due to the 8th.

What facts ? Is just stating you have 'facts' an argument now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What facts ? Is just stating you have 'facts' an argument now?

I am not sure where Nettle Soup is getting their figures from, they are not what the Rape Crisis themselves have in their own report.

This is the 2013 report for the Rape Crisis Centre which on page 24 says they counselled 75 women who became pregnant as a result of rape in that year alone.

http://www.rcni.ie/wp-content/uploads/RCNI-National-Statistics-2013.pdf

And that's only the people they counselled.

Taking into account the age of consent, one can also look at the number of women who give birth before the age of 17 (about 100 a year according to the CSO) and the number attending for abortion in the UK in the under 17 age bracket (somewhere between 10 and 66).

There are several women a week facing the issue of pregnancy as a result of rape. Many of them do choose not to abort, but the idea that they should be forced to go through with the pregnancy is abhorrent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement