Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

spookwoman wrote: »
    I have a problem with my hip, osteoarthritis is suspected. Finally get an MRI to be told I need an x-ray beforehand. Gets that sorted in local hospital. Going Tuesday after BH

They call this afternoon- asked when last period was. Apparently I am on "the wrong day" and have to reschedule on or about 20th.

The only way round it is a GP doing a pregnancy test and signing a "ten day waiver" - my word is not enough. I am disgusted.

Similar thing happened to me few years back. Had a growth under my jaw which I had for some years and I had been trying to get it look at .But now it was starting to cause problems with my facial nerve and getting bigger. Went in for my first ENT appointment and was sent down to get an MRI or CT with contrast. I couldn't remember the exact date of my last period but I knew 100% I was not pregnant and I told them that but no they would not scan me. Didnt even get told if I went to doc and got a clear test.
    It took a few weeks to get that scan and then sent on for biopsy which showed a tumor which could not be 100% if benign.
    It took a further 9 months to get it removed and thankfully it was benign but the type of parotid tumor it was they have a risk of turning into a cancer. When this type of tumor turns cancerous they have one of the worst rate of survival between 25 to 65% live 5 years. Not to mention the bigger they get the harder it is to remove them from the facial nerve so there is an increased risk of partial facial paralysis.
    We get told on tv etc that if you feel a lump see a doc but if you are a woman of child baring years you have to prove to some receptionist that your are not pregnant so you can get a early or timely diagnosis

Repeal the 8th for womens health

Next time someone on the No side tries to bask in their "I've saved a baby" aura. I hope they read that.

They're gambling with my pain and mobility sure but they could have hastened your death. Just not on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

indy_man wrote: »
    Any of you pro-repeal people any bit concerned how skewed the press and media are? Do you not sense some meddling here on a global scale, do you not worry that there might be something outside Ireland trying to influence us.

You only have to look at the poster campaigns to see that No have had more cash since Day 1, obviously American money.

And the media have a tough row to hoe - they have to try to present both sides impartially, but they also have to deal with the fact that the No side are telling a non-stop barrage of lies.

Oh and it was a South African and an American outside Heuston a few weeks ago. I asked the yank rtf it had to do with him - "Love for the unborn child is universal".

Sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

This is not acceptable and typical of the brain washed obstinate abortion supporting side.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/992433880266412032

"90% of our posters have been torn down in Dublin" - any actual proof of that??
    More heartless comments from those who want to make stopping hearts legal.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I want. I want certain people to have the power The Flash has, so he can vibrate his body so fast that he can phase his hand into your chest and literally stop your heart, that sounds great.
    No, everyday there are more and more girls not regretting terminating their pregnancies.

I don't really understand this? Everyday there are more and more "girls" not regretting terminating their pregnancies? Okay then, so they don't regret terminating their pregnancies, that's a good thing, no?
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m being investigated for cervical cancer due to high grade genotyping cell changes picked up during an abnormal smear.
    Before each appointment I have to do a pregnancy test, and If that test were to come back positive, there would be nothing they could do to help me.
    In 9 months time it could have progressed to cancer but I still wouldn’t be given an option to terminate.
    I would be expected to gamble my life that all would be ok and wait to start treatment and testing after the baby is born in 9 months, or else go to the UK for a termination and continue the preventative treatment.
    Either way, the Irish healthcare system cannot and will not do anything until I am no longer pregnant.
    Luckily I’m not and don’t plan to be any time soon but it’s a scary thought.

You're expected to gamble with your health and if it transpired that you did become seriously ill, not be able to have treatment fast enough to catch the illness early and then died, you'd then be leaving that baby without a mother, how is that good for anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

January wrote: »
    2 women a week are given this news.

Do you have a link for this stat? I’d like to be able to point people to it when they try to say these cases shouldn’t be considered cos they’re rare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

kylith wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this stat? I’d like to be able to point people to it when they try to say these cases shouldn’t be considered cos they’re rare

Irish stats start on page 75, FFA breakdown is page 81

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/679028/Abortions_stats_England_Wales_2016.pdf

Things can be very rare but pregnancy is very very common.
    Nearly 64,000 babies were born last year in Ireland.
    A condition that has a 1 in 1000 chance is 64 women a year, more than 1 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It's awful when you see a friend of yours launch into an anti choice unmerciful rant about abortion. We all have our own opinion but when it comes to words like women should be ashamed of themselves for having abortions. It gives you a bit of a kick in the gut :(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Dressing gown

It's awful when you see a friend of yours launch into an anti choice unmerciful rant about abortion. We all have our own opinion but when it comes to words like women should be ashamed of themselves for having abortions. It gives you a bit of a kick in the gut :(

Well the shamers are the ones that should be ashamed. It is an incredibly brave decision to travel for an abortion and not one that is taken lightly. All this shame women crap-I swear they don’t get pregnant by themselves. If any shame is felt (and it shouldn’t be), the other party to the pregnancy should be equally ashamed, and more so if they don’t hold that poor woman’s hand all the way to the clinic and back (I don’t mean that literally but you know what I mean).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I know you were replying to another poster, but i ll reply to your post. I read over your posts & the vibe I get from your posts is you didn,t feel there was enough support/help available to of continued with your pregnancy,  there should of been a better social support system in place to of supported you & support other women in those type of circumstances that you outlined from your personal situation .
    Wishing there were better supports isn't good enough. People are in bad situations and environments. Fact. We have had since 1983 to set up better supports and they haven't come and where they have they're not enough. Deciding not to bring another life into Moira's situation is a mature brave but extremely difficult decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

There are some fairly obnoxious No voters out there.

My cousin saw a man go up to a woman on the bus and tell her to "Shut the %uck up" because she was talking about the 8th being repealed on the phone.

As she went to get off the bus she said to him that he did not have the right to curse at her. He then told her to ***k off.

My cousin said she was shocked by how disrespectful he was to the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,045 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice commentary piece on 'joe.ie' about the farcical FF photo shoot from hateboth: https://www.joe.ie/politics/fianna-fail-eighth-amendment-politics-624870

Good quote: "
    If a Yes vote is announced on 26 May, it won't mean that Ireland has decided to trust Leo Varadkar, or Simon Harris, or Fine Gael. It will mean that the people of Ireland have trusted their consciences. It will then be incumbent on politicians to enact the will of the people."

(along with, my paraphrasing, "Seriously, you trust FF now? Bailouts/troikas/brown envelope politics/.....")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

spookwoman wrote:
    I couldn't remember the exact date of my last period but I knew 100% I was not pregnant and I told them that but no they would not scan me. Didnt even get told if I went to doc and got a clear test.
    I needed a series of vaccinations for work but also had to tell them when my last period was before each inoculation. I didn't question it at the time but I wonder what would have happened if I couldn't remember or had an irregular cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I was 99.99999% certain from the start that I would vote yes. I am 100% sure now.
    This thread ( and the preceding ones) have been great.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories, and my sympathies for what many of you have suffered.

I sincerely hope that many more will avoid that suffering by virtue of the Eighth being repealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

REPEAL

DubInMeath wrote: »
    No they won't.

It's the best argument out there imo. Anything else is contentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

You only have to look at the poster campaigns to see that No have had more cash since Day 1, obviously American money.

And the media have a tough row to hoe - they have to try to present both sides impartially, but they also have to deal with the fact that the No side are telling a non-stop barrage of lies.

I'm a regular on Youtube and I see a Savethe8th ad before almost every video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

No, everyday there are more and more girls not regretting terminating their pregnancies.

Yep. Every day many girls and women travel to the UK to have a termination and they do not regret it at all. You are so right. Interestingly however I suspect you have no idea how right you are as you think you meant something else by the sentence above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've had a woman I know, who knows about my termination, tell me on a Facebook group of 50+k members that it wasn't her fault that deep down I felt guilty about my decision. She's gone on to say that I have no problem broadcasting the fact that I've had an abortion so she doesn't have a problem saying things like that to me.

Her husband has approached me to apologise for her behaviour but she hasn't spoken two words to me in public since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭bootpaws

Considering all the aggression and oppression the No side insist they're facing, I've seen some alarming sentiments in their own echo chambers. Made the mistake of reading the comments on a pro-life post someone I know shared. Comments with hundreds of likes claiming to want to lock Yes voters up on the day of the referendum so we can't vote. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

There are some fairly obnoxious No voters out there.

My cousin saw a man go up to a woman on the bus and tell her to "Shut the %uck up" because she was talking about the 8th being repealed on the phone.

As she went to get off the bus she said to him that he did not have the right to curse at her. He then told her to ***k off.

My cousin said she was shocked by how disrespectful he was to the woman.

Did anyone on that bus stand up for the woman who was abused? All it takes for bullies to prosper is for others to turn a blind eye. I'm a bit bolshy so I would have fecked him from a height and anyone else supporting him.

As an aside a patient asked me this morning about the referendum. He knows I'm for repeal. I said to him, if it makes no difference to you, think of my daughter. She is a teenager. If, for any reason she had to have an abortion/termination etc, let her be treated in Ireland in the bosum of her family with medical support, not in a foreign country.

Repeal all the way.

I will be attending a family annivesary mass this evening for all my deceased family members. I see the ACP (Association of Catholic Priests) is saying that letting save the 8th campaigners talk at masses shows insensitivity and lack of compassion.

If they homily becomes a save the babbies spiel, I'll be standing up, noisily and walking out. A celibate man (not many of them adhere to this in practice) will not pontificate to me about children or morals. Lots of young children will be at mass as its communion time, they should not be listening to the save the 8th campaigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lets be clear that there are people on both sides who their their own side no favours:

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/declan-ganley-claims-brother-was-attacked-putting-up-no-posters/

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/992176854282002432

Another No voter with no stickers on their car had someone key their car. They are just some examples.

So when people blame one side only, they are being blind that that it is happening on all sides and it is wrong whether one is a yes or no supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will be attending a family annivesary mass this evening for all my deceased family members. I see the ACP (Association of Catholic Priests) is saying that letting save the 8th campaigners talk at masses shows insensitivity and lack of compassion.

If they homily becomes a save the babbies spiel, I'll be standing up, noisily and walking out. A celibate man (not many of them adhere to this in practice) will not pontificate to me about children or morals. Lots of young children will be at mass as its communion time, they should not be listening to the save the 8th campaigners.

The Association of Catholic priests are Catholic priests who decided they wanted to be Protestant. Not saying that in a negative way, just their views would be more suited to the Protestant faith as they always seem to have issues with the faith they signed up to.

Priests have a right to speak about whatever they want from their pulpit, including on the right to life of the unborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

RobertKK wrote: »

Priests have a right to speak about whatever they want from their pulpit, including on the right to life of the unborn.

I think they were referring to campaigners from both sides asking to address the congregation rather than priests.

^^^^^^

This RobertKK. I have no problem with priests discussing catholic dogma, I do not want to listen to a Save the 8th Campaigner discuss abortion in front of 8 year olds. Its a topic to be discussed by adults or at least teenagers old enough to understand what it is. Not children. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The Association of Catholic priests are Catholic priests who decided they wanted to be Protestant. Not saying that in a negative way, just their views would be more suited to the Protestant faith as they always seem to have issues with the faith they signed up to.

Ah, not good and true Catholics that should bluff and bluster, and tell people what they should do.

Gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

They are just some examples.

All examples from this Declan Ganley, you've seen the video of this "assault" hardly a revelation that he was not hurt badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The Association of Catholic priests are Catholic priests who decided they wanted to be Protestant.

Is this actually true or did you make it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

Heard a rumour that the Catholic church are going to allow the No side address people in mass tomorrow.

Anyone else heard this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So when people blame one side only, they are being blind that that it is happening on all sides and it is wrong whether one is a yes or no supporter.

There's actually a video of that alleged incident. There's something quite comical about the exchange really.

"Why can't I put up these posters? You made you the arbiter of all of Galway?"

"**** yourself and **** your mother"

Obviously there are fringe elements on both sides that do their fellow campaigners a disservice, this mysterious 'bearded man' is among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is this actually true or did you make it up?

ACP are all for inclusion, including LGBT rights, women priests, and the like. You know, modernising Catholicism a bit.

Things RobertKK doesn't really like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement