Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

ASISEEIT wrote: »
    Ah lets resort to ad hominem attacks and lets spend weeks talking about tiny percentages. Lets ignore the question i asked you to describe the reality of abortion or lets ignore fact that legislation goes beyond 12 weeks.
    Lets ignore beating hearts or fact that the abirtionist must count the legs and arms after he/she has done the deed. Lets ignore it. Lets ignore the fact that 99.5% of pregnancies have nothing to do with rape or FFA . Lets not take responsibility for our actions . We are all victims today anyway

Your claim about counting limbs is completely untrue as prior to 12 weeks the abortion pill is given and the abortion takes places at the home of the woman
    Please know the facts before you spread untruths

sabat wrote: »
    It's probably too late in the day to be saying this but the self-congratulatory group sneering by the Yes side against religious and older people won't win a single extra vote but may well cost them a percent or two.

you see any group behaviour on the no side might cost them a few points at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really don’t care what the margin is so long as the 8th is repealed.
    I always said it would be close, it was never going to be a slam dunk victory for either side but I’m honestly not bothered, I’ll happily take a 51% majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

gmisk wrote: »
    OK that is first time no have been over 30 percent?
    That is fairly worrying to me. Hopefully gives people a kick up the backside to go and vote.
    Like I said before it's going to be close... Gonna stick to my 55ish yes...

No a poll had No over 30% last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

RobertKK wrote: »

It's always good to have the momentum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

RobertKK wrote: »
    Apologies I must have missed that one.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's always good to have the momentum
    In fairness from a low base, things like these always tighten up.
    I would think a lot of the undecideds may not vote as well.

It is worrying to be honest. The thought of this referendum failing terrifies me, a country where access to women's healthcare is determined by religious dogma is not one I want to live in. But we have to keep going, keep canvassing and having conversations based on facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I've thought that the whole way through, but there is a huge amount of silent no voters out there and they could make the difference

A huge amount, who I reckon will make the difference. If this was about saving lives, many would rethink it. But it's not - it's about aborting any baby's birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I've thought that the whole way through, but there is a huge amount of silent no voters out there and they could make the difference

You won't be surprised to find I don't agree with either RobertKKs poll results. I can't see that poll result he posted and I bet he won't post a link.

There might be people not wanting to say which way they will vote on a poll, but don't assume they are all No voters.

This horrible amendment will be repealed, Ireland will come of age and women will finally have body autonomy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

thee glitz wrote: »
    Ah lad, it does smell of it at least a little.

Still waiting on your reply to my question, been given to you twice now.

DubInMeath wrote: »

Answering is not obligatory.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    thee glitz wrote: »
    Ah lad, it does smell of it at least a little.

I can't reply to a broken link.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

I have a major crisis of conscience in terms of this vote. I want to see the 8th repealed but I do not agree with the idea of unrestricted access to abortion up to 12 weeks or giving politicians the ability to introduce it. On that basis, I shall be voting No.

sabat wrote: »
    It's probably too late in the day to be saying this but the self-congratulatory group sneering by the Yes side against religious and older people won't win a single extra vote but may well cost them a percent or two.

The religious have for too long interferred in peoples sexual habits, it has nothing to do with them. These are the people who say no to abortion but yes to dumping babies in septic tanks. I know which I prefer.

I'm not one bit bothered about curtain twitchers, busy bodies need to mind their own business.

Repeal all the way - the youth will come out and vote Yes in their thousands.

I have a major crisis of conscience in terms of this vote. I want to see the 8th repealed but I do not agree with the idea of unrestricted access to abortion up to 12 weeks or giving politicians the ability to introduce it. On that basis, I shall be voting No.

That's many peoples stance beef, mine included

You won't be surprised to find I don't agree with either RobertKKs poll results. I can't see that poll result he posted and I bet he won't post a link.

There might be people not wanting to say which way they will vote on a poll, but don't assume they are all No voters.

This horrible amendment will be repealed, Ireland will come of age and women will finally have body autonomy.
    I wish I could be as confident as you tbh... Its going to be tight...i am seeing nothing but save the 8th adds online, whatever about the posters

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It is worrying to be honest. The thought of this referendum failing terrifies me, a country where access to women's healthcare is determined by religious dogma is not one I want to live in. But we have to keep going, keep canvassing and having conversations based on facts.

The only small comfort is that should the effort fail and No wins, the EU has already stated that the 8th is breaching human rights and a danger to women, and the UN has referred to our current abortion laws as ‘cruel, inhumane and degrading’.

Hopefully they will put pressure on the government to have another referendum on the matter in the near future.

You will see it in the Sunday Independent tomorrow.

They say with undecided and it is 4% not 3%who didn't express an opinion excluded that the figure is now
    57% Yes
    43% No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/majority-of-fianna-fail-tds-gather-to-call-on-voters-to-say-no-to-repeal-of-8th-840832.html

If the yes vote wins does this mean there is no way fine gaels proposal of abortion up to 12 weeks will be passed since they won't have the votes? And if so could the whole amendment itself be blocked??

Women will access unrestricted abortion up to and after 12 weeks in the UK whether the 8th is retained or repealed. It will make no difference.
    We are being asked whether we want to make this regulated and supervised, or whether we want to keep exporting the issue.

As for the politicians, we trust them with every other issue from birth to death. From smoking bans, to the age of consent, and everything in between.
    You trust them for everything else but not this.
    Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I can understand the gut instinct not to want to legalise it up to 12 weeks but why not vote for it anyway?

The reality is that we have unrestricted access to abortion up to 12 weeks via the UK and abortion pills. Neither will be stopped. It's unrestricted and dangerous.
    Waiting for pills or to be able to afford to travel to the UK delays abortion pushing it later.

If you don't like the idea of 12 weeks, surely the idea of it being later is worse?

Voting no leaves women without healthcare they need and puts their lives in danger.
    Voting no does nothing to prevent abortion and makes many aspects of abortion worse.

Not liking the idea doesn't mean it's not the best option.

But the reality is that abortion is happening, it always has and always will. We're just exporting the problem. The 12 week limit not only allows for proper regulation at home, but spares the women carrying babies with fatal foetal abnormalities (i.e. where the baby won't survive) the indignity of having to travel to another country and have her child's ashes couriered home. Please put yourself in the woman's shoes - easy to judge when you're not in the situation yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

The religious have for too long interferred in peoples sexual habits, it has nothing to do with them. These are the people who say no to abortion but yes to dumping babies in septic tanks. I know which I prefer.

How many septic tank baby dumpers are voting in the referendum? How many nice old ladies that are liked and respected by their families and communities? Your post just proved my point.

gmisk wrote: »
    I wish I could be as confident as you tbh... Its going to be tight...i am seeing nothing but save the 8th adds online, whatever about the posters

To be honest, I don't even notice the posters anymore. I'm immune to them. I think there are very few people who don't know which way they will vote. I've always been repeal and the posters make not a jot of difference to me. There will be No voters and the posters make not a jot of difference to them.

The poll results of undecideds are not necessarily undecided, they just don't want to tell a stranger which way they want to vote.

I live in rural Ireland and I discuss this all the time - most are in full agreement that the amendment must go - now they could be agreeing with me for peace but most people I speak to under 60 are voting Repeal.

Are you swayed by a poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Pro birthers out in force in Waterford today. My car is in the garage for a couple of days so I got a lift to work from my dad. We were driving down the quay, amazed at the amount of them and one standing on the island in the centre of the road holding out leaflets to passing cars. My dad (ancient pensioner that he is) slowed down, put down his window and yelled 'vote yes!' over and over at the top of his voice. I love him so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

The silent No voters interest me I have to say. if you feel that you are doing the right thing why not say it?

• Advertisement

Well here you're debating people who'll sell repealing to you for reasons you may well already agree with, but also won't consider accommodating same unless abortion is unrestricted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement