Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show April 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    You just made my point. A huge group in doubt would have aborted if the facilities were here. You just ended up with the determined travelling.

That is the definition of ‘not in my backyard’. You just proved my point. You don’t care so long as it doesn’t happen on Irish soil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not if it was against their mothers wishes.
    She has to go through the pregnancy, she has to bring the child up. It affects her more than anyone else.
    If she says she can’t do it I trust her and support that.
    I don’t believe in babies being born at all costs is in the best interests of ANYONE, least of all the babies born into sh*t circumstances.

No women should die because of a law. None. That could have been your wife or daughter or sister. If the 8th isn’t repealed it could happen again.

There you go again, judging and playing God. Great people have emerged from every set of circumstances. And again this is only a minority group.

What do you think of someone who falls pregnant at an inconvenient time, career, after thoughts etc. Do you think the killing of such unborn in the middle classes is moral?

That is the definition of ‘not in my backyard’. You just proved my point. You don’t care so long as it doesn’t happen on Irish soil.

No you have strayed from the argument. You said the 8th doesn't save lives. Well i pointed out that the lack of easy access saved some lives of babies when mothers were indecisive. In my book that's good.

Over and out Susie for now. Ironically i have to bring a life into the world! A calf.

There you go again, judging and playing God

Not all of us believe in such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

If their mothers really wanted access, they would have travelled and had the abortion. The 4K women who still travel every year are proof of that.
    They were not saved by the 8th.

You just made my point. A huge group in doubt would have aborted if the facilities were here. You just ended up with the determined travelling.
    Are you suggesting that a large number of women would opt for abortions if it was more "convenient"
    I'll just go through with the pregnancy and rear the child because it too much hassle to travel. It that the sort of thought process you imagine women in crisis pregnancies go through.

There you go again, judging and playing God. Great people have emerged from every set of circumstances. And again this is only a minority group.

What do you think of someone who falls pregnant at an inconvenient time, career, after thoughts etc. Do you think the killing of such unborn in the middle classes is moral?

I think at this point you are deliberately misconstruing what’s I’m saying.

So to make it clear:

I know great people come from bad circumstances.
    I’m not advocating murdering the middle classes (???).
    I’m not saying all people in bad circumstances should abort.
    I’m not making judgment on what situations people chose to have children in.

What I AM saying is:

If a woman wants to abort because she is in sh*t circumstances and cannot offer a baby a good upbringing, I believe her, I trust her, and I respect that choice.
    I don’t think it’s in anyone’s best interested to force her to see through that pregnancy just to ‘save’ a life.

So if you could stop twisting what I’m saying to suit your own agenda that would be fab, thanks.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    Not all of us believe in such a thing.

Playing the all powerfull life controlling master then, happy :D You couldn't even take the word figuratively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Over and out Susie for now. Ironically i have to bring a life into the world! A calf.

Great to hear your bring new life into the World. Hopefully, not for the purpose of just being slaughtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

My partner is 27 weeks pregnant with a baby girl, however before this we have suffered countless miscarriages due to her having a uterine abnormality (she has a heart shaped uterus) - basically this means that unless a baby implants in a certain area, my partner will lose the baby. All of our miscarriages have occured due to the baby implanting in an area that cannot support the size or volume of the amniotic sac which eventually will rupture due to the pressure placed upon it by the sides of the uterine wall (the latest we got to was 19 weeks).

Medical professionals have denied us access to abortions because technically my partner's health is not at risk nor is the babies (the baby will be absolutely fine and healthy, her waters will just break anyway and the baby will pass away). My partner does not meet the requirements for a legal abortion on Ireland because the medical professionals are of the opinion that due to the outcome of the pregnancy resting solely on where the baby implants, we can (and we currently are) having a successful pregnancy.

However this means that whenever the baby is not in the right place my partner is forced to carry it until she eventually miscarries it and has to deal with the heartbreak.

Despite my own views on abortion I do not think it is fair she has to suffer miscarriage after miscarriage instead of being able to legally have an abortion (where she will be surrounded by doctors and nurses with direct access to medical care versus randomly having her waters break and the baby passing shortly thereafter wherever she is) so I'm voting to repeal.

Hi all, posted this in the 8th thread in AH, just want to share my thoughts and experience here too.

• Advertisement

Happy4all wrote: »
    Great to hear your bring new life into the World. Hopefully, not for the purpose of just being slaughtered.

Us farmers look after our animals and take great care of them, it's not all about the money. If they were let roam free and not managed, they'd be malnourished, inbred and disease ridden.

Nothing better than saving an animal on deaths door with pneumonia, scour etc. Or to walk out and see a newborn playing in the fields.

Some who comment on country lifestyles could do with coming out of the suburbs and living the life for a while;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Us farmers look after our animals and take great care of them, it's not all about the money. If they were let roam free and not managed, they'd be malnourished, inbred and disease ridden.

Nothing better than saving an animal on deaths door with pneumonia, scour etc. Or to walk out and see a newborn playing in the fields.

Some who comment on country lifestyles could do with coming out of the suburbs and living the life for a while;)

No thanks, when I hear Danny Healy Rae advocating drink driving as okay in the "country" , despite the stats that 8 people are killed per year from drivers that had consumed 2 pints.

I'll give the bright lights of Laois a miss.

Happy4all wrote: »
    No thanks, when I hear Danny Healy Rae advocating drink driving as okay in the "country" , despite the stats that 8 people are killed per year from drivers that had consumed 2 pints.

I'll give the bright lights of Laois a miss.

Just think whatever you're eating next it originally came from the land, be it lettuce or a veggie burger.

Whatever same ole same ole terrace you're in i'll give a miss too ;) And your lovely street lamps:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

NOT CARK!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This thread still going, perhaps a rewatch of the repeat tomorrow night will stoke the interest even more.

NOT CARK!

Your always welcome in Laois Welsh Megaman and the best of Welsh music will be provided. I'll even do my best to get Cerys Matthews down ;)

This thread still going, perhaps a rewatch of the repeat tomorrow night will stoke the interest even more.

I keep saying last post and i better get off soon Atlantic :D As i said earlier to Skid despite myself and yourself holding polar opposite opinions on that issue. I hold you in the highest esteem and hope to get back to normal frivolity next week!

Just something i feel strongly about:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Hi all, posted this in the 8th thread in AH, just want to share my thoughts and experience here too.

I sympathise with you and your partner but this referendum isn't asking the people to legalise abortion in these rare circumstances. It is seeking approval for a law which will mean *anyone* can have an abortion up to 12 weeks. That is why I am voting No.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I keep saying last post and i better get off soon Atlantic :D As i said earlier to Skid despite myself and yourself holding polar opposite opinions on that issue. I hold you in the highest esteem and hope to get back to normal frivolity next week!

Yes and I respect you having your opinion, highest esteem hat tip to you too :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Are people going to seriously argue that abortions won't take place that are 'lifestyle' choices. Fell pregnant and it doesn't suit me careerwise, i only wanted 2 children etc. I feel they are selfish reasons to kill an unborn.

The sacrifices a woman has to make to give birth and raise a child are enormous. Absolutely enormous. Most men don't have to give up half as much. I don't think it's at all selfish for women to decide that they are not prepared to make those sacrifices, to the contrary I think it's amazing that so many willingly choose to do so, and unreasonable to demand that they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I sympathise with you and your partner but this referendum isn't asking the people to legalise abortion in these rare circumstances. It is seeking approval for a law which will mean *anyone* can have an abortion up to 12 weeks. That is why I am voting No.

I sympathise with you and your partner but I would make you do the same thing all over again rather than allow women have abortions that I don't approve of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

For what its worth, I didn't express any opinion on this thread.

But I agree with your sentiment, at this stage anyone who wants to has made their point here.

There is a time to move on and talk on future threads about less serious issues without bearing grudges.

So you're essentially shunning the women who need genuine access to safe and legal abortion because you don't want *anyone* to have an abortion up to 12 weeks.

Right, that makes sense.

What you've basically done is the equivalent of "sorry love, but nah".

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I sympathise with you and your partner but I would make you do the same thing all over again rather than allow women have abortions that I don't approve of.

Well that's pretty much what they all say to be honest, it's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It is seeking approval for a law which will mean *anyone* can have an abortion up to 12 weeks. That is why I am voting No.

Clarify *anyone*, last time I checked women who want babies don't seek abortion that will continue to be the case.

You want those seeking abortion for deep personal reasons do so by continuing to have to board a plane or here but done illegally risking health and potential prison charges. Actually I won't say that's what you want that's not right of me you can clear that up but perhaps it's what you don't like to hear about and if it happens elsewhere maybe you'll take some solace in the fact that it's not on our soil?

Clarify *anyone*, last time I checked women who want babies don't seek abortion that will continue to be the case.

You want those seeking abortion for deep personal reasons do so by continuing to have to board a plane or here but done illegally risking health and potential prison charges. Actually I won't say that's what you want that's not right of me you can clear that up but perhaps it's what you don't like to hear about and if it happens elsewhere maybe you'll take some solace in the fact that it's not on our soil?

" Deep personal reasons"

Please spare me the utter sanctimony. Abortion in Britain is basically a contraceptive option at this stage. Why are you and so many others completely disregarding personal responsibility and making all these women out to be terrible victims. No one is forcing them to become pregnant.

So you're essentially shunning the women who need genuine access to safe and legal abortion because you don't want *anyone* to have an abortion up to 12 weeks.

Right, that makes sense.

What you've basically done is the equivalent of "sorry love, but nah".

I'm voting No because I don't people should be allowed to kill a child on a whim. It is very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In every consent procedure for every person except pregnant women.

Funny how when it only affects women, bodily autonomy suddenly becomes less important.

Exactly. Try suggesting something like mandatory organ donations/blood donations to a pro-lifer and watch them turn.

" Deep personal reasons"

Please spare me the utter sanctimony. Abortion in Britain is basically a contraceptive option at this stage. Why are you and so many others completely disregarding personal responsibility and making all these women out to be terrible victims. No one is forcing them to become pregnant.

For some people taking personal responsibility IS having an abortion.
    It being a choice you wouldn’t make doesn’t make it the wrong one.

• Advertisement

I'm voting No because I don't people should be allowed to kill a child on a whim. It is very simple.

I'm voting Yes because I don't think my partner should be forced to suffer miscarriage after miscarriage after miscarriage because the medical professionals in multiple maternity hospitals don't believe she meets the requirements for safe and legal abortion in her own country put in place by the 8th. It is very simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement