Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show April 27th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

But the Late Late has never been about avoiding the important issues of the day, that's not its format

... and God forbids it should change, right ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Is this the most posts ever in a LLS thread?

And very few of them ripping the pi$$ out of Ryan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tbh I think the lls is better when it's serious. When it goes fluff you get awful interviews like Katie Hopkins

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Piss off somewhere else with your soapboxing

Charming I'm sure. :rolleyes:
    I quite frankly am undecided since you ask but im not going to be harassed by left virtue signallers like you because of your self righteous indignation.

Left? You don't have a breeze pal.
    The poster expressed his genuine opinion and you of course tried to derail the thread with your agenda.

Actually you're the one trying to derail with your virtue signalling. Undecided, really?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Did anyone else notice the contrived way the main No speakers were talking?

It Was Like Every Word Began With A Capital Letter, And They Tried To Sound Like They Were On The Verge Of Tears The Whole Time. So fake and contrived.

Empty appeal to emotion, just like their lamppost posters. It'll appeal to already decided No voters but I can't imagine too many undecided buying into it. Based on recent polls, they'll need at least three quarters of the undecided to swing No to have a chance. Of course what usually happens is that the undecided mostly don't vote at all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Did anyone else notice the contrived way the main No speakers were talking?

It Was Like Every Word Began With A Capital Letter, And They Tried To Sound Like They Were On The Verge Of Tears The Whole Time. So fake and contrived.

Empty appeal to emotion, just like their lamppost posters. It'll appeal to already decided No voters but I can't imagine too many undecided buying into it. Based on recent polls, they'll need at least three quarters of the undecided to swing No to have a chance. Of course what usually happens is that the undecided mostly don't vote at all.

Give it a rest. There's an abortion thread on boards.

amdublin wrote: »
    Tbh I think the lls is better when it's serious. When it goes fluff you get awful interviews like Katie Hopkins

Ye, Tubridy is pretty good with the serious stuff. He's clearly an intelligent, well read person. What I can't stand is the obsession with things like country music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I'll be honest, the best thing about TLLS is this thread. It's the reason I've started watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    It has though Mountain. Just reading the WHO rates and increases. No disrespect to women but the figures don't lie. A quick google of UK rates and you're onto official figures of 20%.

http://abort73.com/abortion_facts/uk_abortion_statistics/

Wow, with a domain name like abort73.com it has to be factual unbiased information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Not true. There are all sort of side considerations with such statistics. Thankfully most people nowadays are aware of how the above can be arranged to tell the story you wish.

This thread is not the place for this discussion though.

The origin of those stats has nothing to do with a pro life group but as they don't suit most people's agenda here they are dismissed.

One poster accused the No voters of having no alternative. Yes we do, carry a baby to term. It's only 7 more months or so from when you'd be aborting. If the life of the mother is in danger, the mother 100% takes precedence.

And what are a lot of Yes voters only hurlers on the ditch too? Many males who won't be carrying a baby either. The Yes side cloak themselves as modern and progressive.

As for this rubbish about No posters being offensive showing the baby in the womb. That's the REALITY of the baby who's life is being terminated.

You can't handle the truth! Rather some fluffy nonsense, Together For Yes. Democracy my backside in this country. You have Sinn Fein firing people from their party for exercising their conscience.

No meally mouthed argument, BS phrase like 'Reproductive Rights' can take away from the fact that an innocent life is being taken.

Since 1969 8.75 million abortions in the UK. A clear indisputable fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The origin of those stats has nothing to do with a pro life group but as they don't suit most people's agenda here they are dismissed.

One poster accused the No voters of having no alternative. Yes we do, carry a baby to term. It's only 7 more months or so from when you'd be aborting. If the life of the mother is in danger, the mother 100% takes precedence.

And what are a lot of Yes voters only hurlers on the ditch too? Many males who won't be carrying a baby either. The Yes side cloak themselves as modern and progressive.

As for this rubbish about No posters being offensive showing the baby in the womb. That's the REALITY of the baby who's life is being terminated.

You can't handle the truth! Rather some fluffy nonsense, Together For Yes. Democracy my backside in this country. You have Sinn Fein firing people from their party for exercising their conscience.

No meally mouthed argument, BS phrase like 'Reproductive Rights' can take away from the fact that an innocent life is being taken.

Pregnancy is a huge sacrifice even for a wanted pregnancy.

It limits your earning ability, work performance, diet, alcohol consumption, air travel, and not to mention the morning sickness, high blood pressure, incontinence, pelvic issues, Braxton Hicks, threat of gestational diabetes and preeclampsia and then of course, the birth.

That’s a big ask to ask of someone who neither wants a baby nor to be pregnant. Especially when it’s just to placate someone else’s moral viewpoint.
    7 months isn’t a short amount of time when the body is going through that amount of changes.

4K abortions are happening every year regardless of the current law. We are doing the women in this country a great disservice by not offering them the healthcare they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

SusieBlue wrote: »

It limits your earning ability, work performance, diet, alcohol consumption, air travel, and not to mention the morning sickness, high blood pressure, incontinence, pelvic issues, Braxton Hicks, threat of gestational diabetes and preeclampsia and then of course, the birth.

That’s a big ask to ask of someone who neither wants a baby nor to be pregnant. Especially when it’s just to placate someone else’s moral viewpoint.
    7 months isn’t a short amount of time when the body is going through that amount of changes.

4K abortions are happening every year regardless of the current law. We are doing the women in this country a great disservice by not offering them the healthcare they need.

Well said SusieBlue, reality is very different from the simplistic picture the no side are presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Not true. There are all sort of side considerations with such statistics. Thankfully most people nowadays are aware of how the above can be arranged to tell the story you wish.

This thread is not the place for this discussion though.

I respect your opinion that abortion is an "innocent life been taken"
    therefore would you unambiguously say that women who have abortions and doctors who perform abortions should go to jail. If you can't say that then your view is hypocritical.
    It is either a "crime" or it is not a "crime"'in your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thats quite enough of that. Next week, Jofus Duffy and his new buke about famous Dolphins of the War of Independence, Vogue Williams on her charity work with the victims of fake tan overdose and music comes from Richie Kavanagh who performs a catchy new satire about the effect of Brexit on South Roscommon

Meanwhile on Graham Norton; Orson Welles, Marilyn Monroe, Richard Pryor and music from Michael Jackson. How does he do it.....

joe40 wrote: »
    therefore would you unambiguously say that women who have abortions and doctors who perform abortions should go to jail. If you can't say that then your view is hypocritical.

It's not on the statutes as such but a large percentage of the population see it as the taking of any innocent life.

Balance what you've mentioned such 'sacrifices' as no alcohol against taking a life Susie. We were all a 12 week 'foetus'. As stated previously I'm looking at the common good over the individual. The indulgence of the individual and lack of community at the heart of most of society's ills today.

It's not on the statutes as such but a large percentage of the population see it as the taking of any innocent life.
    I know this .ot the correct thread and would be happy to discuss this with you elsewhere.
    But I simply asked for your "personal" opinion. Would you be in favour of the imprisonment of women for having an abortion.? Simple yes or no should be possible.
    Apologies if this is off topic for this thread

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats quite enough of that. Next week, Jofus Duffy and his new buke about famous Dolphins of the War of Independence, Vogue Williams on her charity work with the victims of fake tan overdose and music comes from Richie Kavanagh who performs a catchy new satire about the effect of Brexit on South Roscommon

Meanwhile on Graham Norton; Orson Welles, Marilyn Monroe, Richard Pryor and music from Michael Jackson. How does he do it.....

Yes Larbre. Apologies, time to move on. The referendum is for another thread. Look it's very emotive and can bring out the worst in us. Best wishes to all. A democratic vote will decide and we'll abide by it's outcome. I don't want to trivialise any individual's situation.

My last post on the issue.

I know this .ot the correct thread and would be happy to discuss this with you elsewhere.
    But I simply asked for your "personal" opinion. Would you be in favour of the imprisonment of women for having an abortion.? Simple yes or no should be possible.
    Apologies if this is off topic for this thread

Absolutely not. As it's not murder to many. Should not be on statute as murder. I have compassion despite my opinions. It is the taking of a life imo but not like shooting a person etc.

Balance what you've mentioned such 'sacrifices' as no alcohol against taking a life Susie. We were all a 12 week 'foetus'. As stated previously I'm looking at the common good over the individual. The indulgence of the individual and lack of community at the heart of most of society's ills today.

You’ve missed the point entirely. That is just one aspect in a very long list of sacrifices a woman must make.

The common good would be to leave it up to the individual, because common good is subjective.

I think it’s cruel and babaric to force an unwanted pregnancy and subsequent baby on an unwilling woman. I don’t think it’s in the best interests of either mother or baby.

I know you disagree - that’s fine - but by voting No, you are ensuring everyone must live their lives arrested by your morals and opinions.

A Yes vote ensures you can continue to live your life with those morals in mind, nothing to will change for you.
    But others, who disagree with you, will be able to get the healthcare they need.

All I’m seeing you post about is about is the baby. You’re staring so hard at the uterus you can’t see the woman attached to it.

As a born living citizen, her needs, wants and wishes should take priority over the contents of her womb, unless she chooses otherwise. She matters.

• Advertisement

Try_harder wrote: »
    Yes but using pejorative terms like virtue signallers are very respectful

That's what they are. Trying to force their opinion on people. If the point was politely disagreed then fair enough but instead it's the usual 'how dare you?!' nonsense

You’ve missed the point entirely. That is just one aspect in a very long list of sacrifices a woman must make.

The common good would be to leave it up to the individual, because common good is subjective.

I think it’s cruel and babaric to force an unwanted pregnancy and subsequent baby on an unwilling woman. I don’t think it’s in the best interests of either mother or baby.

I know you disagree - that’s fine - but by voting No, you are ensuring everyone must live their lives arrested by your morals and opinions.

A Yes vote ensures you can continue to live your life with those morals in mind, nothing to will change for you.
    But others, who disagree with you, will be able to get the healthcare they need.

All I’m seeing you post about is about is the baby. You’re staring so hard at the uterus you can’t see the woman attached to it.

As a born living citizen, her needs, wants and wishes should take priority over the contents of her womb, unless she chooses otherwise.

Oh for God sake they're not going to war, and pregnancy is not a disease. Can we please tone down the hysteria.

Oh for God sake they're not going to war, and pregnancy is not a disease. Can we please tone down the hysteria.

Please point out where I said it’s like going to war, or a disease. I said neither.
    Pregnancy isn’t a walk in the park. It is difficult and painful for even wanted pregnancies. This is a fact. It is a huge sacrifice.
    And asking someone to stay pregnant and have a baby they do not want just so you*, a stranger on the Internet, can proudly declare that Ireland is an abortion free country (even though it isn’t) is the height of selfishness.

*figuriative you, not you specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Bredabe

the figure of 1 in 5 (or more accurately 21%) is got by taking the number of abortions as a percentace of the number of 'abortions plus live births', miscarriages / still births don't enter the equation at all. (and I don't mean to be flippant, or disregard anyones experiences here, but thats where the figure comes from)

there is one abortion for every four live births in the UK.

As I said this contradicts the spokesperson for the no side when they were asked to justify the figure. As even the no side cant agrees on the figures, I stand by my statement that the figure used on the posters is deliberately misleading.

Additionally, no one knows how many miscarriages are unrecorded, so in reality that would impact on the true figures if we could find them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Please point out where I said it’s like going to war, or a disease. I said neither.
    Pregnancy isn’t a walk in the park. It is difficult and painful for even wanted pregnancies. This is a fact. It is a huge sacrifice.
    And asking someone to stay pregnant and have a baby they do not want just so you*, a stranger on the Internet, can proudly declare that Ireland is an abortion free country (even though it isn’t) is the height of selfishness.

*figuriative you, not you specifically.

Outlawing murder and convicting people who kill other people because you think it's wrong is the height of selfishness.

See how easy this game is?

As a born living citizen, her needs, wants and wishes should take priority over the contents of her womb, unless she chooses otherwise.

Pregnancy is a life changing event, with lifelong implications. You have the audacity to accuse someone of "hysteria" for pointing this out. Just another "hysterical woman" not making any sense.
    I would not be forced to give a "blood donation" to save a life, but a woman is forced to go through with a pregnancy, regardless of the effects on her.
    The blood donor analogy is actually quite apt since that is basically what a pregnant woman is, provides blood via placenta.

Give it a rest. There's an abortion thread on boards.

I was specifically talking about the show last night, tough luck if the debate didn't go your way.

I was specifically talking about the show last night, tough luck if the debate didn't go your way.

Yes, I haven't been able to sleep since.

Outlawing murder and convicting people who kill other people because you think it's wrong is the height of selfishness.

See how easy this game is?

Fetuses aren’t people. And abortion isn’t murder. If it’s murder why do we have it written into our constitution that we permit women to travel to ‘murder’ these Irish citizens?
    Oh wait. Because it isn’t murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Is this the most posts ever in a LLS thread?

You must be joking, back in the day it would regularly pass 700

There were a few non-toy show threads that got over 1000

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement