Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

G O'H 2'17'32

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Great to see Hawkins realise his potential, 2:08:14 taking a minute off Allister Hutton's Scottish record from 1989 (Hutton won London in 1990)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭4Ad

My own village man Sean Hehir finished 34th...brilliant running..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

hawkwing wrote: »
    G O'H 2'17'32

PB?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

PB?

No, think he was faster in Dublin last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

PB?
    No, he has a 2:17:11 from Dublin last year

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Highlandcow from these parts ran a 2:52:20 with a big negative split.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Great atmosphere out there today, big PB for me in 2:37:27...breezy last 4m though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

hawkwing wrote: »
    G O'H 2'17'32

Some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭4Ad

66_Lad wrote: »
    Great atmosphere out there today, big PB for me in 2:37:27...breezy last 4m though
    Brilliant time..bet you are buzzing..
    Well done !

• Advertisement

4Ad wrote:
    Brilliant time..bet you are buzzing.. Well done !

Yeah I'm buzzing, had couple pints and then back to apartment for shower and some grub. My A goal was sub2:38 but though that may be a bit of a stretch...ill struggle to beat that PB in the future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Went out determined not to get carried away, tried to stick to a safe sub 3 pace and was a tiny bit ahead of that until 19. Had to stop to make use of the facilities for a bit too long then, but on re-emerging decided I didn't even care about the sub 3 target any more and just getting a sub 3:10 would be a good result and secure a GFA for another couple of years. So whilst it was still possible switched to adding in some fast walking. Blood sugar numbers were also dropping quicker than I'd have liked and the only way to stop that becoming a disaster was to back off as its just not possible to take on enough sugars quick enough.

Got the safe GFA of 3:08, but the absolute highlight was passing Mrs Robinph as she was crossing half way on the other side of the road. She'd not been convinced of even being able to make it past 6 miles this morning, but ended up with a time we'll under 5 hours. First marathon that we've both managed to both be running for years and a great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shane12

robinph wrote: »
    Went out determined not to get carried away, tried to stick to a safe sub 3 pace and was a tiny bit ahead of that until 19. Had to stop to make use of the facilities for a bit too long then, but on re-emerging decided I didn't even care about the sub 3 target any more and just getting a sub 3:10 would be a good result and secure a GFA for another couple of years. So whilst it was still possible switched to adding in some fast walking. Blood sugar numbers were also dropping quicker than I'd have liked and the only way to stop that becoming a disaster was to back off as its just not possible to take on enough sugars quick enough.

Got the safe GFA of 3:08, but the absolute highlight was passing Mrs Robinph as she was crossing half way on the other side of the road. She'd not been convinced of even being able to make it past 6 miles this morning, but ended up with a time we'll under 5 hours. First marathon that we've both managed to both be running for years and a great result.

Congrats on the finish.

Off topic, how do you manage with the blood sugars for a long run. My son has type 1 and I am really curious as to how you keep the blood sugars in control for a marathon, I tip my hat to you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Shane12 wrote: »
    Congrats on the finish.

Off topic, how do you manage with the blood sugars for a long run. My son has type 1 and I am really curious as to how you keep the blood sugars in control for a marathon, I tip my hat to you.

It's next to impossible to get "right" the treatment of diabetes and I got it far from right today, and another friend who was also running got things wrong in completely the opposite direction. We both got round though which is a good result in my book. I have more say on diabetes management, but give me a few days to recover. If I've not posted anything then then do give me a poke to remind me via PM and I'll stick something up here or on the Long Term Illness forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Yeah I'm buzzing, had couple pints and then back to apartment for shower and some grub. My A goal was sub2:38 but though that may be a bit of a stretch...ill struggle to beat that PB in the future!

With a time like that it would be interesting to read a report of your training and how the race went. You haven't got a Training Log on here, right? If you haven't the time or inclination for a long write-up, it'd still be cool to just get an overview of times and improvements and maybe what you did differently and what you think helped most.

Congratulations anyway. Hope the head is ok this morning.

Itziger wrote:
    With a time like that it would be interesting to read a report of your training and how the race went. You haven't got a Training Log on here, right? If you haven't the time or inclination for a long write-up, it'd still be cool to just get an overview of times and improvements and maybe what you did differently and what you think helped most.

I did a write up of my Rotterdam marathon last yr as that was first time I broke 3 hrs and posted on the Rotterdam Boards thread , I'll do the same for London and post here later in wk. Key thing for me this yr was crosstraining, I did 5k+ miles on bike in last yr, lot on turbo over winter and using Zwift. Peak running mileage week for London marathon was 83 miles and 3 other wks in the low to mid 70's but biked during those also. Ran a 15min PB yday off my Rotterdam time which itself was a 30min PB off my previous best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I did a write up of my Rotterdam marathon last yr as that was first time I broke 3 hrs and posted on the Rotterdam Boards thread , I'll do the same for London and post here later in wk. Key thing for me this yr was crosstraining, I did 5k+ miles on bike in last yr, lot on turbo over winter and using Zwift. Peak running mileage week for London marathon was 83 miles and 3 other wks in the low to mid 70's but biked during those also. Ran a 15min PB yday off my Rotterdam time which itself was a 30min PB off my previous best.

I'd like to take a peek at this as well if you wouldn't mind. Have hit bit of a wall with own training so would like to shake things up

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finished in 5:19. Niggles in my right hip and glute from mile 7 onwards which got progressively worse until I needed a proper stretchout in the medical tent at 22k. Managed it from there and got around but it wasn't pretty.

Sh*t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

I had a really good day the other day. Went out with 2.55 in mind and came home in 2.52.20 for a 7 minute pb. Ran the first half in 1.27.30 bang on goal pace after having a bit of a rough patch about 14k. Second gel didn't sit too well and thought it was going to come back out again for about 10 minutes.

Got through half way and hammered out a few 4 min k's and felt ok. GPS went mental through canary wharf but knew I was moving well and started picking people off.

The next 10k was about the best I've ever felt running. The crowd were superb and legs kept giving me more. Started to cramp a little around Westminster but I knew I'd make it ok. Gave it everything down the Mall and even managed a smile crossing the line.

Maybe in hindsight I left a bit out there in the first half but wasn't to know that at the time. Delighted with the result and the whole block of training. The crowds were absolutely epic throughout. I've never experienced anything like that.

Thanks to those on here who offered advice and support throughout the cycle. Well done to everyone else out there.

Get Outlook for Android

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Youtube suggested this video of VLM for me & must admit I enjoyed it, almost like being there plus the guy's enthusiasm. Of course I just ignored the fact he ran 2:35 while carrying a gopro & doing a running commentary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I wonder how people got on with the Water Pods, Think this was the first large marathon that they were going to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

opus wrote: »
    Youtube suggested this video of VLM for me & must admit I enjoyed it, almost like being there plus the guy's enthusiasm. Of course I just ignored the fact he ran 2:35 while carrying a gopro & doing a running commentary :)

I just searched 2 of the people besides him at the start and one finished in 3.14 and the other in 3.41. Would that have been a Club Runners pen or some such?

Itziger wrote: »
    I just searched 2 of the people besides him at the start and one finished in 3.14 and the other in 3.41. Would that have been a Club Runners pen or some such?

His Blue number could be a championship start one, but he's not wearing a club vest. There are championship female bibs in the start pens beside him, but they seem to be stationary too close to the line to have been in championship pen as that gets released at exactly the same time as the elites, just from 20meters behind them to give the elites a bit of a chance to get away.

Edit: Just checked his start time and he was in the regular ballot entry pen three start and started 12 minutes after the elites.

Edit 2: Scratch that, he was in pen 1 with the Chamiponship start, I read the minutes and seconds wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

opus wrote: »

Saw that myself the other day. Really a great video and he's some runner! 2:35 without looking like he's breaking sweat, while talking, and smiling, and stopping for a kiss on the way.
    They could use that as a promotional video. Because I'm sure they'd like a few more applicants for next year.

Just a reminder that if you are wanting to enter the ballot for 2020 you have until 5pm this evening to get the submission in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

robinph wrote: »
    Just a reminder that if you are wanting to enter the ballot for 2020 you have until 5pm this evening to get the submission in.

Once was enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Robin, regarding good for age and the fact its UK only addresses now.

What I was wondering about is the proof of address requirement? Do they actually check that [and is it a "upload something" well in advance to confirm your place or do they check it when your collecting your number or something - I know other events/things request proof of address - but some check & some dont?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've entered the ballot for 2020, what are my chances of success?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I've entered the ballot for 2020, what are my chances of success?

Higher than that of Mo beating Kipchoge.

• Advertisement

Robin, regarding good for age and the fact its UK only addresses now.

What I was wondering about is the proof of address requirement? Do they actually check that [and is it a "upload something" well in advance to confirm your place or do they check it when your collecting your number or something - I know other events/things request proof of address - but some check & some dont?

I've not seen anything at all in previous years to suggest that they have been doing any checks on the documents that you upload to them. You will upload the documents in August, link to time/ marathon results page/ certificate from marathon, and the address document for a UK utility bill is simplest. You do also need to upload a proof of age/ photo ID document, but a passport scan is fine for that and nationality doesn't matter in the slightest.

Assuming you are within the top 3000 of your gender under the qualification time for your age then you find out for sure I think in the October the same as everyone else.

If you are only 1 minute under the time and under age 40 male then it might be a slight risk that you don't get a place, other wise I'd expect everyone to get in.

Advertisement