Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The road is in a condition to be driven at 80 on. The only reason it's 50 is the entrance to Glenburren Park which is at the far end and at that stage you're slowing down anyway because it's so close to the lights.
    You should try varying your driving style on alternate days and track the results. Every second day, just slow down and stop the mad overtaking.

I'd bet a fiver that the results will show minimal if any saving on journey times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Whatever about speeding away from lights, it's important to move quickly.
    Nothing worse than waiting for some one to wake up from their nap and decide to move off thirty seconds after the lights changed.
    People need to be more aware of the light sequence and if not familiar with the junction to keep watching what's going on around them...not applying makeup, checking phones or looking in the glovebox.
    It's important for traffic flow to get as many vehicles through a junction during the green light.

That's all true and agreed fully, but it's not an answer to my question. Moving off slowly from the lights is a different issue than speeding between lights only to wait in the queue anyway. Is this local (Galway)? Or broader local (Ireland)? Or not at all? Anyone with experience with other places and countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭what_traffic

McGiver wrote: »
    Dream on. Not going to happen here unless the council is hit by a tsunami and replaced by brand new people with a brain and the electorate spontaneously achieve some sort of an enlightenment.

Think it will need more than enlightenment. Re Brain. Big problem is that Galway Transportation Unit and Roads Dept is full of Civil Engineers rather than Transportation Engineers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Transportation Engineers are Civil Engineers...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

What's happening on university Road today and tomorrow?. Saw a sign near fire station saying to expect delays..

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Transportation Engineers are Civil Engineers...

No afraid not. You do not need to be a Civil Engineer to be a Transportation Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

They need transport planners more than transport engineers I think.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-transportation-engineering-and-transportation-planning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Traffic last night was Hor-rific wasn't it?

Traffic last night was Hor-rific wasn't it?

Nope, I didnt think so. I traveled from Parkmore to Knocknacarra. I left around 5:15 and thought it was pretty normal. I was home before 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Must all have been going the other way so, over an hour from Salthill to Briarhill around 5pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

No afraid not. You do not need to be a Civil Engineer to be a Transportation Engineer.

As a Transportation Engineer you are a type of Civil Engineer.... anyway, not important. :rolleyes:

J o e wrote: »
    As a Transportation Engineer you are a type of Civil Engineer.... anyway, not important. :rolleyes:

Maybe in a traditional Irish Context, but this would not be the case in other jurisdictions. That is the one of the main reasons we are in the mess we are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Looking at a lot of our roundabouts, junctions and cycle lanes it's blatantly obvious that many of our senior engineers have absolutely no idea how traffic works.
    Randomly choosing which lane goes where on a roundabout leads to confusion and congestion in many cases.
    In Dublin city there are a few sets of traffic lights that leave the front car from one direction stuck through 2 or 3 cycles - the road ahead empties out completely when they have the red only to fully back up again when their green comes.
    Cycle lanes are absurd to the point of extreme danger for users in almost all cases. Very, very few of them actually make any sense for cyclists to use safely or conveniently. I know it's a common lament of drivers that cyclists should get on the cycle lanes but they are honestly almost criminally badly designed in almost every case.
    Engineers Ireland are the chartering body for transport planners and road engineers and they really should strip most of these designers of their accreditation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

benjamin d wrote: »
    Looking at a lot of our roundabouts, junctions and cycle lanes it's blatantly obvious that many of our senior engineers have absolutely no idea how traffic works.
    Randomly choosing which lane goes where on a roundabout leads to confusion and congestion in many cases.
    In Dublin city there are a few sets of traffic lights that leave the front car from one direction stuck through 2 or 3 cycles - the road ahead empties out completely when they have the red only to fully back up again when their green comes.
    Cycle lanes are absurd to the point of extreme danger for users in almost all cases. Very, very few of them actually make any sense for cyclists to use safely or conveniently. I know it's a common lament of drivers that cyclists should get on the cycle lanes but they are honestly almost criminally badly designed in almost every case.
    Engineers Ireland are the chartering body for transport planners and road engineers and they really should strip most of these designers of their accreditation.

I've a feeling it's a "design by committee and checklist" type thing. Build a road, put a bit of a cycle lane on it and that fulfills the requirements. No thoughts on if it makes sense in an overall network type way.

I think the traffic light situation is improving with regards to traffic flow, but don't dare expect to cross promptly if you're walking. Bottom of the priority list for you. And watch out for light jumpers because they won't be watching out for you.

If Galway employed transportation planners 30 years ago it would be a vastly different, more liveable and workable city. The civil engineers who played the role of transport planners over the decades have fecked the place up royally and it'll take at least the same amount of time and a few billion euro to fix the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

zulutango wrote: »
    If Galway employed transportation planners 30 years ago it would be a vastly different, more liveable and workable city. The civil engineers who played the role of transport planners over the decades have fecked the place up royally and it'll take at least the same amount of time and a few billion euro to fix the mess.

I think it's the whole world, not just Galway that has this problem. The American Dream of the 40s and 50s called for huge road networks and spread out cities that were emulated throughout the world and it's coming back to bite us on the arse now. The new European model of compact pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly cities (i.e. for people not cars) is the only way to go, for mental health and wellbeing, efficiency and environmental reasons.

Galway has probably embraced the model more than the other irish cities though, for one reason or another. I think it's greatly due to the fact that a huge chunk of the daytime population (including those who make the major infrastructural decisions) of the city commutes in from the surrounding hinterland, often from one-off homes, and they are utterly car dependent. Bus lanes and cycle lanes and light rail will never make sense to these people, and they have pushed for more car infrastructure over the decades. The problem is that car infrastructure is of very limited use in moving people in urban areas and has incredibly damaging consequences too.

zulutango wrote: »
    Galway has probably embraced the model more than the other irish cities though, for one reason or another. I think it's greatly due to the fact that a huge chunk of the daytime population (including those who make the major infrastructural decisions) of the city commutes in from the surrounding hinterland, often from one-off homes, and they are utterly car dependent.
    Interesting observation and I say your bang on the money regarding it.
    Would start by getting rid of FREE STAFF CAR PARKING in Galway City Hall and County Hall. That might start to slowly change the mindset.

Think it will need more than enlightenment. Re Brain. Big problem is that Galway Transportation Unit and Roads Dept is full of Civil Engineers rather than Transportation Engineers.

What exactly is the function and competency of the Galway Transportation Unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Organising the Christmas park and ride and deciding where Adshel can put bus shelters.

• Advertisement

Is there even one transport planner working there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dear people coming from Briarhill to the motorway, there's no need to cut across cars to get into the slip road for the motorway if you end up caught out in the right hand lane, you can keep going up to the roundabout and turn left there or if you're still caught out, go the whole way around the roundabout and enter as if you've just come from the clinic side.
    Thank you.

Organising the Christmas park and ride and deciding where Adshel can put bus shelters.

If they even did this it would be a win.
    How many NEW Shelters installed in Galway City and surrounding area in 2018? 8 months? 1 Shelter a month?

No idea what they are currently doing - its become a real closed shop the last 18months. In the past they were more open about projects they were doing. Check out the GTU_Galway twitter handle. Not a single personsal post since 7th April 2017.

https://twitter.com/gtu_galway

The TWITTER BIO does say the following:
    "
    Vision: to provide an Integrated and Sustainable Transport Solution, to meet the needs of all users and support the Economic and Social Development of the City
    "

zulutango wrote:
    Galway has probably embraced the model more than the other irish cities though, for one reason or another. I think it's greatly due to the fact that a huge chunk of the daytime population (including those who make the major infrastructural decisions) of the city commutes in from the surrounding hinterland, often from one-off homes, and they are utterly car dependent. Bus lanes and cycle lanes and light rail will never make sense to these people, and they have pushed for more car infrastructure over the decades. The problem is that car infrastructure is of very limited use in moving people in urban areas and has incredibly damaging consequences too.

It's not just that, it's a mindset problem - urban vs rural. I prefer saying that most of the Galway population is "rural", including those making the decisions. Hence Galway never be a city in true sense, I can't see that happening. The mindset and culture here is simply too rural and quite regressive. I would like to be optimistic but it's difficult...

You think its Crazy now?
    https://connachttribune.ie/appeals-board-gives-go-ahead-for-e100m-bonham-quay-project/

Will Galway City Council finally tackle the proliferation of private car usage in the City Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Will Galway City Council finally tackle the proliferation of private car usage in the City Centre?

They don't need to tackle it.

Provided the NTA licenses enough bus services, nature will just encourage people to abandon their cars.

That said it would be handy if the County Council would build some large car parks in their areas at the end of a few of the bus routes.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Wonderful news!

Agree - would like to seen a more of a mix in Development though, when Ceannt station lands are eventually developed is done Galway City Centre is going to a very different place.

• Advertisement

They don't need to tackle it.

Provided the NTA licenses enough bus services, nature will just encourage people to abandon their cars.

That said it would be handy if the County Council would build some large car parks in their areas at the end of a few of the bus routes.

Ya agree on the P&R , not sure about the Nature part though. Was it a condition of the planning permission been granted that "NTA = TII" would up the bus service?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement