Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City just crazy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Slightly off topic, but the state of the Monivea Rd as you're approaching the Parkmore lights is a disgrace, give the potholes a few more weeks to properly develop and will be like the surface of the moon.

The lads who were digging it up there recently probably angling to come back and resurface the whole thing within 6 months!
    You are right though. I drove that road on Saturday heading towards carnmore. The road is shockingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Webbs wrote: »
    Would not walking or cycling be the answer for you? 40min walk max and maybe 10min cycle? No bus service would compete with the cycling option
    Am sure you could end up waiting that length of time for a bus if unlucky.

I'll be walking I think. Not a fan of the cycling option. But accommodation is so hard to find, I think I should take the opportunity.
    Ya well there'll be no bus option from Salthill so you'll rely on cabs or personal propulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Where for reference are you comparing this route to?
    I don't have much experience of suburban routes in cities of approx 75k people.

You mean that such cities don't exist on the continent and I'm making it up? The continent is a big place, you know.

Kaiserslautern - DE
    Konstanz - DE
    Klagenfurt - AT
    St Gallen - CH
    Elblag - PL
    Zlin - CZ
    Etc.

There are dozens and dozens of cities with similar population in Central Europe. Some of them even have light rail. I'm sure you would find many similar examples from France, Spain and Italy too.

The main issue with the Galway Bus network , apart from lack of bus lanes which are not a silver bullet imho, is a) lack of interconnectedness and b) circular routes. E.g. a circular route covering Knocknacarra direct to Ballybrit/Parkmore, back to Doughiska, Eyre Square and to Knocknacarra would make sense. Or at least direct buses from peripheral suburbs to business parks avoiding city centre. Or suburb to suburb etc.

If you look at the network maps of these cities you would find that they often have more than 1 "Eyre Square" point and that they have more interconnectedness and/or routes avoiding "Eyre Square".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ya well there'll be no bus option from Salthill so you'll rely on cabs or personal propulsion.

Seems there is a 401 bus that can get me in town, and the 404 then to work in Dangan.

Anyway, have accepted the housing offer, and the people there are lovely.

Have to change my username now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Seems there is a 401 bus that can get me in town, and the 404 then to work in Dangan.

Anyway, have accepted the housing offer, and the people there are lovely.

Have to change my username now :)

Makes sense if you're living at the far side of Salthill. Walking would be quicker on the near side though.

Investigate daily, weekly and monthly bus-tickets

Also, if you're doing daily, then buying them on the Leap card (not with cash) means they last a full 24 hours. Very cost-saving if you can start a little later one day and a little earlier the next day.

Some links for you (and everyone else who's new to Galway and reading this .. 'tis the season and all ...):

How Leap works - http://www.galwaytransport.info/2014/11/how-do-leap-cards-work-in-galway-city.html

Galway city bus fares: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2008/12/fares-for-galway-city-bus-services-city.html

fyi, there are also 410 buses to/from Salthill, but because they're run by a different company you cannot use the daily etc tickets with the.

Happy travels (and let's hope that Oranmore timetable improvement happens soon - I'm looking out for it).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They're after building some form of lay-by half way along Bothar na dTreabh, spotted it briefly this morning. It's behind the cycle path and footpath - looks like a spot to park up a speed van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

J o e wrote: »
    They're after building some form of lay-by half way along Bothar na dTreabh, spotted it briefly this morning. It's behind the cycle path and footpath - looks like a spot to park up a speed van.

Indeed it does! "Authorised Vehicles Only" sign put up there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

They must be watching us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have a job in spiddal now and I am struggling looking for accommodation so please don't make more jobs west of Galway :(

Look West of Spiddal. The prices drop a lot.

Someone decided that it would be a good idea to have roadworks on the N17 at the same time as the Headford Road. Some poor people were stuck for over an hour on the Headford Road.

I just checked and that road isn't a designated location for a speed van.

It must be for a Garda car to sit with a speed gun - instead of sitting in the entrance to Glenburren Park, which doesn't work during busy periods as the junction backs up beyond that.

• Advertisement

Just to put the last 2 pages of nonsense into context...

The section of BnT being talked about is between the Tuam Rd and the Kirwan RAB.

It's a distance of 2km according to Google maps. I've no doubt that figure is rounded but its the info I have, so I'll work with it.

2km @ 50kmph = 2:24
    2km @ 60kmph = 2:00
    2km @ 80kmph = 1:30

You are talking about gaining 54 seconds on a stretch of road where, at either end, you are usually forced to wait a min or two (best case) anyway due to the lights on one end and the RAB on the other.

54 seconds

Yea but take into account all the cars passing you if you're doing 50. You might end up having to wait for another round or 2 of lights once you get to the cars waiting at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Yea but take into account all the cars passing you if you're doing 50. You might end up having to wait for another round or 2 of lights once you get to the cars waiting at the junction.
    Garda: "Why were you speeding?"
    Perfect Contrast: "I had to speed to overtake all the cars and to stop other cars overtaking me so that I could get ahead of them for the next set of traffic lights were we all have to stop at. [A perfectly acceptable explanation for any right thinking Garda.]
    Garda: "Tell me the logic again - you are speeding to beat the CAR traffic in your CAR by speeding to the next set of traffic lights were you all have to stop anyways?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you get to the top of the traffic light queue you will get away quicker because you won't have miss daisy in front of you taking ages to pull away from the green light. I overtake everyone I can all the time when getting through Galway, the amount of times I've been the only person to make it through the next set of lights from the previous set is what makes me keep doing it.

Garda: "Tell me the logic again - you are speeding to beat the CAR traffic in your CAR by speeding to the next set of traffic lights were you all have to stop anyways?"

May sound illogical except it may take 3 cycles of the lights to clear the waiting traffic at the end of the road. And from sticking to 50km/hr you're now a cycle or two behind those that were alongside you at the start of the road.

Garda: "Why were you speeding?"
    Perfect Contrast: "I had to speed to overtake all the cars and to stop other cars overtaking me so that I could get ahead of them for the next set of traffic lights were we all have to stop at. [A perfectly acceptable explanation for any right thinking Garda.]

You don't understand what I said obviously.

Waiting an extra cycle of lights won't kill you, going at 80+ as opposed to 50 would quite likely kill someone if the worst were to happen.

Until there is a fundamental attitude change this problem will not go away, the level of impatience on the roads is absurd, it's not a competition lads.

The road is in a condition to be driven at 80 on. The only reason it's 50 is the entrance to Glenburren Park which is at the far end and at that stage you're slowing down anyway because it's so close to the lights.

Waiting an extra cycle of lights won't kill you, going at 80+ as opposed to 50 would quite likely kill someone if the worst were to happen.

Until there is a fundamental attitude change this problem will not go away, the level of impatience on the roads is absurd, it's not a competition lads.

Yup, but most people don't think about that while driving. I don't think we'll see a change until enforcement is ramped up. People just don't see any risk in speeding. At least the fear of getting a fine might change that.

The road is in a condition to be driven at 80 on. The only reason it's 50 is the entrance to Glenburren Park which is at the far end and at that stage you're slowing down anyway because it's so close to the lights.

What about the logic of traffic flow improving by reducing speed*? If that was promoted do you think you'd be more likely to try and follow the 50 limit?

*assuming this to be true for a moment

We've gone full circle in this thread so I'm giving up now TBH

• Advertisement

It's almost like a bunch of people posting on the internet aren't going to solve Galways traffic problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

xckjoo wrote:
    It's almost like a bunch of people posting on the internet aren't going to solve Galways traffic problems

I can solve it. Build sustainable transport infrastructure. It's quite easy. It's just unpallatable to people who want to drive everywhere.

Just need to rename too "Thread gone crazy"

xckjoo wrote: »
    What about the logic of traffic flow improving by reducing speed*? If that was promoted do you think you'd be more likely to try and follow the 50 limit?

No assumption needed - it is a true.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Slowing down to go faster would be hard to communicate to someone who only sees as far as the back of the car in front of them.

I went over the bridge a couple of days ago at fifty and noted the people who overtook me to see how they progressed - they didn't really progress that much in the overtaking lane and my lane kept moving as people turned off. No real benefit to doing 70 rather than 50.

Slowing down to go faster would be hard to communicate to someone who only sees as far as the back of the car in front of them.
    True, but this is a well known phenomena for car traffic engineers. A slow steady flow gives better throughput. The accordion effect

zulutango wrote: »
    I can solve it. Build sustainable transport infrastructure. It's quite easy. It's just unpallatable to people who want to drive everywhere.

Dream on. Not going to happen here unless the council is hit by a tsunami and replaced by brand new people with a brain and the electorate spontaneously achieve some sort of an enlightenment.

I went over the bridge a couple of days ago at fifty and noted the people who overtook me to see how they progressed - they didn't really progress that much in the overtaking lane and my lane kept moving as people turned off. No real benefit to doing 70 rather than 50.
    My words, with the added benefit of increased safety for EVERYONE. I just don't get the local habit of speeding from set of lights to the other. I'm talking about this specific sort of speeding - between lights.

Seriously, can someone explain to me - is this some sort of a local Galway cultural thing? Or would it apply for all places in Ireland equally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

McGiver wrote: »
    My words, with the added benefit of increased safety for EVERYONE. I just don't get the local habit of speeding from set of lights to the other. I'm talking about this specific sort of speeding - between lights.

Seriously, can someone explain to me - is this some sort of a local Galway cultural thing? Or would it apply for all places in Ireland equally?

Whatever about speeding away from lights, it's important to move quickly.
    Nothing worse than waiting for some one to wake up from their nap and decide to move off thirty seconds after the lights changed.
    People need to be more aware of the light sequence and if not familiar with the junction to keep watching what's going on around them...not applying makeup, checking phones or looking in the glovebox.
    It's important for traffic flow to get as many vehicles through a junction during the green light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭zell12

.. Nothing worse than waiting for some one to wake up from their nap and decide to move off thirty seconds after the lights changed.
    People need to be more aware of the light sequence and if not familiar with the junction to keep watching what's going on around them...not applying makeup, checking phones or looking in the glovebox.
    That's part of the t&c's of their licence to drive.
    Yet they refuse to comply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement