Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

colm18 wrote: »
    There's probably a better forum for this question but I don't want to leave my Safe Place...Can a physio refer you for an MRI or does it need to be a GP?

I don't think so, it needs to be a md from memory.

Some medical insurers have a free over the phone gp and they can refer. Sounds a bit wishy washy but it works. Might not be an option for you though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ford2600 wrote: »
    colm18 wrote: »
    There's probably a better forum for this question but I don't want to leave my Safe Place...Can a physio refer you for an MRI or does it need to be a GP?

I don't think so, it needs to be a md from memory.

Some medical insurers have a free over the phone gp and they can refer. Sounds a bit wishy washy but it works. Might not be an option for you though

My physio sent me to my gp and then ring all suitable MRI centers I could possibly get to. Essentially to see which one had the earliest slot. The results went back to the gp, who copied the report for me to give back to my physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Spotted Alanstrainor this morning. Recognised him by the camera mounts on the bike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

If you have VHI you could go to the SwiftCare clinic and see a doctor - not dear, I think, for those lucky folks with health insurance (or in this case with VHI health insurance) https://www.vhi.ie/swiftcare

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Rechuchote wrote: »
    If you have VHI you could go to the SwiftCare clinic and see a doctor - not dear, I think, for those lucky folks with health insurance (or in this case with VHI health insurance) https://www.vhi.ie/swiftcare

It's for VHI Customers only, I thought: https://www.vhi.ie/downloads/FinalNoticeVhiSwiftcareClinics.pdf

Edit: Actually, that's what you are saying, I think. Brain-fart, doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Got to the gym this morning and wasn't arsed changing out of cycling gear - turns out cycling bib shorts are perfect for grappling in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got to the gym this morning and wasn't arsed changing out of cycling gear - turns out cycling bib shorts are perfect for grappling in

The cleats don't help though!

Spinning back fist!

Stolen from YLYL
    3466_29d1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

found out today that a kinda uncle of my wife's managed a team racing in the ras in the 60s. don't know how much success they had, i suspect they were not a long lived team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

found out today that a kinda uncle of my wife's managed a team racing in the ras in the 60s. don't know how much success they had, i suspect they were not a long lived team.
    I lived across the street from an elderly gentleman for a number of years. It was only when he passed away that I learned he was Matt Sands - an accomplished cyclist with many national titles and manager of the Dublin team in the Ras Tailteann in the 1950's.

cXBy4f7h.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife's 'uncle' (kinda an unofficial adoptee into the family) was the john o'reilly in the seventh photo down here:

http://www.rastailteann.com/event/fbdras_441.shtml

he was an emigrant, so we've been theorising he was managing a team of similar emigrants, based on the team name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Gold Flake cigarettes ad on the front of the programme!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Not no bake, but "GCN Energy Bars" (if you google) are a favourite in our house, both for me on the bike and with the children. Only thing is to make sure they're fully cold before cutting.
    made these tonight. god, they're good.

made these tonight. god, they're good.

Made some during the week too, one was put in the 4 year olds lunch box going to school and she was disappointed there wasn't one there the next day as myself and her mam had eaten the rest :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I need a new front light. About 30% of my commute is through a parks and lanes with no street lighting and my Aldi front light is going to get me killed.

How bright is bright enough? I was looking at this one, 900 Lumens seems reasonable to me. Or do I need to go brighter.

https://www.decathlon.nl/p/ledvoorlicht-voor-fiets-vioo-900-city-usb/_/R-p-15346?mc=8320634&c=ZWART

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That only has 180 lumens it's probably just about adequate. runtimes not great for something with so little power.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/lezyne-macro-drive-1100-front-light/11509335.html

My recommendation I've a couple of other Lezyne lights they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I sometimes cycle through an unlit bit of the Phoenix Park. My Cateye HL-EL520 is pretty ok, though I wouldn't attempt top speed.
    https://www.mtbr.com/product/accessories/lights/cateye/hl-el520.html

You often hear people say it's impossible to stop the mount from slipping, but I put a rubber strip between the mount and the handlebars, and it's perfectly fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is a really decent light set on the bargain alert thread at the minute.

• Advertisement

was in tk maxx yesterday, was wondering (and not for the first time) that since they're usually reasonably stocked for several types of sports wear, how come you never see cycling gear in there?

was in tk maxx yesterday, was wondering (and not for the first time) that since they're usually reasonably stocked for several types of sports wear, how come you never see cycling gear in there?

I'm after buying loads of bib shorts on eBay, seriously perfect for grappling and cheaper than buying from martial arts places

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

....because it's a glorified junk shop

my wife's 'uncle' (kinda an unofficial adoptee into the family) was the john o'reilly in the seventh photo down here:

http://www.rastailteann.com/event/fbdras_441.shtml

he was an emigrant, so we've been theorising he was managing a team of similar emigrants, based on the team name.
    a little weird talking to my MIL today, mentioning names from the links above, and her being able to name the riders before i'd finished reading out their names, remembering them bunking in her mother's house.
    turns out her half brother had been involved a lot with the logistics of the RAS in the 50s too. he'd have been relatively young, we reckon he'd be 84 or 85 if he was still alive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I got my whole kit three when I started, bibs, Briko I think? and 2 pairs of reduced to €8 Polaris cycling shoes, one pair of which i still wear and indeed rode on for the medal this year :cool:
    Haven't had a look in ages, I need to be in a very particular mood to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bike evolution:

500102.gif

nee wrote: »
    Haven't had a look in ages, I need to be in a very particular mood to go there.
    interesting, i've never seen any cycling gear there.
    it's not that i have to be in a particular mood to go there, i'm quite simply never in the mood to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They do have them from time to time but they are snapped up within hours. I've gotten several items there over the years at great value - including 2 Sugoi winter jackets for €30 each which I have been commuting in for the past 8 years.

(They often have bib shorts but always seem to be in size XXS).

Are they still chugging you at the till in TK Maxx? Remember having to have a manager called when a sales assistant said as loud as possible to me so others could hear "so you won't be donating today is that right?" The **** I was I letting that **** go.

One of many reasons I never go in any more. The main reason is the lie they sell you in that they are selling last seasons designer stuff when in fact it's made specifically for them. Little better than sports direct in my book in terms of scummy outfits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The main reason is the lie they sell you in that they are selling last seasons designer stuff when in fact it's made specifically for them. Little better than sports direct in my book in terms of scummy outfits.

You can strike lucky on occasion. 2 years in a row I bought my Brooks running runners in there for around €40. Previous years model but I don't care about that. Ordinarily they're around €140. They haven't had them in since last year though. And one time I picked up a bunch of good running gear in there, mostly Under Armour, which I'm still wearing.

Last time I checked they had nothing worthwhile, unless you were going skiing.

And don't hate me, but a couple of years ago I got some tri gear in there, it wasn't for a tri race.

Advertisement