Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Different commute this morning, heading out the N7. Approaching Newlands Cross flyover, I'm in the segregated lane at the left. I hear a couple of toots from the main road, and look over to see a skip truck driver in the middle lane giving me the finger. Definitely directed at me, no idea why.

I'm tempted to ring the skip company and ask if they could find out, as I'm totally baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a fox run over by loads of buses on the N11 before whites cross going into town.

You can report these to your local council to clean up
    https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/environment/animal-control/foxes

environ@dlrcoco.ie

which I did and got a response.

First time I saw it I feared some poor person would be cycling or walking past and have a bus squash it more and have rotting guts spraying on them.

Is there a better term for Schrödinger's bike lane? Where it's so crap that there's no point using it, but you still get annoyed when people park in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would ya be mad to buy a 1X CX build with the intention to immediately drop to road tyres and a bigger chainring? Just cause the frame is a beaut.

ED E wrote: »
    Would ya be mad to buy a 1X CX build with the intention to immediately drop to road tyres and a bigger chainring? Just cause the frame is a beaut.

Trying to picture it, would it not look really weird with likely huge clearance and 25mm tyres or even 28? Would the rims take that size even?

• Advertisement

21mm rims would support 28mm tyres ok I think. Clearance for 38 might look a little weird but I doubt itd be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Run 38mm slicks and it'll look fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cdaly_ wrote: »

This is the obligatory time to mention Vittoria Voyager Hypers . I have them on my Croix de Fer (37mm)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

cdaly_ wrote: »

Why run anything over 32mm on the road?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Brian? wrote: »
    Why run anything over 32mm on the road?

Suppose the question is, why not, more cushion for comfort.

• Advertisement

It's another world on the big tyres. I can go down the worst, crappy l roads and bridal ways on them and not feel a thing. Makes my routes way more interesting in the winter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Same here. I may have gone a bit OTT with my 52mm tyres, but the avg speeds stayed roughly the same... and the comfort and confidence, maaan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's another world on the big tyres. I can go down the worst, crappy l roads and bridal ways on them and not feel a thing. Makes my routes way more interesting in the winter at least.

Wait till an angry Bride chases you!

I'd play it safe and stick to Bridleways mate.

(On mandatory report writing training today so please excuse elevated levels of pedantry)

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to peddle a selection of quality bicycle pedals and brakes that won't break the bank.

#footpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!1911!!!

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to peddle a selection of quality bicycle pedals and breaks that won't brake the bank.

FIFY
    #footpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!1911!!!

Into vintage gangsters much?

I'm having one of those days where I'm making some glaring typing errors, but seeing any that are not mine!

Weepsie wrote: »
    Alek wrote: »
    Same here. I may have gone a bit OTT with my 52mm tyres, but the avg speeds stayed roughly the same... and the comfort and confidence, maaan! :D

Hmmm, interesting prospect.

Hmmm, interesting prospect.

Just to prove the point, today's ride on these bad boys, mostly against 29kph headwind :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1964620167

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Anyone following this guy?

Stayed in his family’s B&B and pub down in Kerry a few times, few years ago he cycled across America, he is currently cycling from Cairo to Cape Town ~12k km (not 12km)

He is raising funds for Donal Walsh foundation

http://www.tomasmacant-saoir.com/#
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/1893296
    @searstom
    https://www.facebook.com/tomasafricacycle/
    https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11368911_cycling-egypt-south-africa-12-000km.html

Just to prove the point, today's ride on these bad boys, mostly against 29kph headwind :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1964620167

Proves nothing really as you've already shown yourself to be a lizard person with that mad Eversting :D Results from humans welcome.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    cycling from Cairo to Cape Town ~12km
    Think you dropped a k there bosco.

Hahaha ;)

Still, in fairness it's an extended commute I've done many times on GP4000S and never went above 29kph average, due to traffic and stuff. And then Thunder Burts 2.1", ran at 20 odd psi, are so cushy you can't really sense the speed, but then results are close enough to the racing tyres! If not the aero disadvantage of the balloony rubber and bike with larger clearances, I'd say they would the same fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Suppose the question is, why not, more cushion for comfort.

I actually don’t feel comfortable on bigger tyres. Yes they cut out vibration. Yes, they deal with dodgy road surfaces better. But at any give moment, one of my mates could see them and make me very uncomfortable.

But really, I don’t like how they feel.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

But at any give moment, one of my mates could see them and make me very uncomfortable.

Yeah, I had this with lycra. Don't worry, that'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hahaha ;)

Still, in fairness it's an extended commute I've done many times on GP4000S and never went above 29kph average, due to traffic and stuff. And then Thunder Burts 2.1", ran at 20 odd psi, are so cushy you can't really sense the speed, but then results are close enough to the racing tyres! If not the aero disadvantage of the balloony rubber and bike with larger clearances, I'd say they would the same fast.

I don't believe you. The only way to prove it is to re-do the Everesting two more times on 2.1" and 21mm tyres (I can lend those to you).

To make it really scientifically meaningful, it must be a double-blind experiment. In other words, spectators must not see who is cycling, on what bike, and I cannot see the spectators.

This can be certainly arranged, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The post in the hiviz thread (and various shares on Facebook) about the Galway initiative to get children cycling to school has me thinking... I went to primary school in the UK, and we did the Cycling Proficiency course (and test!). Was there ever an Irish equivalent? All the talk of teaching driving skills in secondary schools, but I've never heard mention of it. I still feel it gave me the basics of road awareness and positioning that I use today - even with a 20 odd year break in between forgetting the bike and rediscovering it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Car related but I certainly had a raised eye brow over their 25GB of data figure.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/we-need-new-gdpr-protections-for-cars-1.3692430?mode=amp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he mentions some of it is 'junk data'. and then doesn't go on to quantify what is and is not junk.

buffalo wrote: »
    Different commute this morning, heading out the N7. Approaching Newlands Cross flyover, I'm in the segregated lane at the left. I hear a couple of toots from the main road, and look over to see a skip truck driver in the middle lane giving me the finger. Definitely directed at me, no idea why.

I'm tempted to ring the skip company and ask if they could find out, as I'm totally baffled.

Transport manager from the company rang me to get some details before speaking to the driver. I'm slightly terrified now that the driver was some mate taking the piss...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Advertisement