Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's a cheap sport, once you buy the bike...

And the shoes, don't forget the shoes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I need lights for my winter hack. It was pitch black at 5.30 this morning and this walking to the gym lark will get very old very quickly.

wife walks to her gym, was outside one day waiting for it to open (2-3min) and saying jesus im the only one in early. Door opens and about 4-5 people get out of their cars, says it all about society

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

manafana wrote: »
    wife walks to her gym, was outside one day waiting for it to open (2-3min) and saying jesus im the only one in early. Door opens and about 4-5 people get out of their cars, says it all about society

That not everyone lives within walking distance of a gym?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's a cheap sport, once you buy the bike...
    Your doing it wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CramCycle wrote: »
    Your doing it wrong :pac:
    Credit card balance would suggest otherwise! Unless the wife is asking...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

mloc123 wrote: »
    That not everyone lives within walking distance of a gym?

With my current program I'd actually drive if I could. Having cold ears and getting caught in a head triangle is friggin awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I need lights for my winter hack. It was pitch black at 5.30 this morning and this walking to the gym lark will get very old very quickly.

Aldi out our way (Trim) still had sets of Cree lamps (front and rear) for €17 at the weekend... Plenty bright and rechargeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Aldi out our way (Trim) still had sets of Cree lamps (front and rear) for €17 at the weekend... Plenty bright and rechargeable.

These lights are very good for the money, I use two of the front lights for my commute and can't fault them even when I've ventured to proper unlit roads.

Nice, I'll check out the Aldis around me. TBH All of my commuting is on well lit roads and in the mornings I just need to get from Kilmainham to SBG Concorde but I get there before the first Luas so cycling is a must. I go from there into the City Centre for work, all the roads there are well lit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be out around kilteel tomorrow for an hour or two with the bike; any roads i should check out? am not really familiar with the area, but i guess i could cross over the n81 to maybe head up towards the sally gap?

might be out around kilteel tomorrow for an hour or two with the bike; any roads i should check out? am not really familiar with the area, but i guess i could cross over the n81 to maybe head up towards the sally gap?

The Lamb Hill is a good opener. Terrible surface but rideable.

Will bring you from Kilteel village to the N81 opposite the turn off for Manor Kilbride village. Climbs to the Gap or Kilbride Army Camp from there.

Alternatively go through Manor Kilbride on the quietish back roads around the lakes and even pop over the Wicklow Gap from Hollywood (The easy side) and down to Laragh. You can climb up Glenmacnass and back to the Sally Gap/Manor Kilbride climb the Lamb Hill again to Kilteel

Edit: Just saw the "Hour or two" unless you fancy climbing to the Gap and descending back the way you came, I'd do the bip around the lakes and back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've got three hours i believe actually - have just been playing in google maps, thinking of this:

465033.jpg

that's plotted counter clockwise, google is saying 52.5km with 900m of climbing. might do it clockwise?

i've got three hours i believe actually - have just been playing in google maps, thinking of this:

465033.jpg

that's plotted counter clockwise, google is saying 52.5km with 900m of climbing. might do it clockwise?

Just mind yourself around Ballinascorney if you go that way.

Manor Kilbride-Blessington (via the back roads) - Valleymount- Wicklow Gap- Laragh-Glenmancnass- Manor Kilbride- Kilteel would be my vote.

Nice roads nice climbs and descents, little traffic and a classic coffee stop in Laragh (descending the Gap towards Manor Kilbride is very exposed, beautiful and SPICY on windy days)

Ahhh a lovely halloween, spent the evening playing red dead redemption 2 on the Xbox and stuffing my face with my kids excess trick or treats, they'll not miss them I hope :D

I've a feeling we gave out more than we took in though.

Planning a spin to Navan and back in the morning so that should burn off the treats.

Just mind yourself around Ballinascorney if you go that way.
    Bad roads?

Bad roads?

HGVs during working hours.

The descent you would have done from the narrow climb past the army camp down to Bohernabreena can be quite treacherous if you let yourself carry a bit too much speed

Bad roads?

The descent you would have done from the narrow climb past the army camp down to Bohernabreena can be quite treacherous if you let yourself carry a bit too much speed

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I spent about 4 hours this afternoon sweeping up fallen leaves on my street. As soon as I had finished, the council sweeper truck arrives. That's several times lately that this has happened. If I don't sweep them up, he doesn't come. I think he's watching me. :(

yeah, there was a bit of gravel spilled on the road, i assume by a dump truck, on the hill up to the quarry and i see what you mean about carrying too much speed on the way down on the other side.

• Advertisement

i think most of my cycles for the next few weeks will be fuelled with fun size mars bars that were not collected by trick or treaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

And Haribos for recovery.

Seven Worlds will Collide

speaking of which, my wife got some 'green canyon oats and honey' bars in lidl (i think it was lidl), thinking they'd be the sort of thing i could stick in my pockets when going out on the bike.
    avoid at all costs. i've never come across anything which will dessicate the inside of your mouth to such a degree. i used nearly half a bottle of water simply trying to eat half a (small) packet before throwing the rest away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aldi have some okay energy/sports type bars . But some peanut butter, honey, porridge oats and some crushed seeds/nuts and you can make far better ones (flapjack style) quick enough that require no baking. Just a microwave and a fridge

Weepsie wrote: »
    Aldi have some okay energy/sports type bars . But some peanut butter, honey, porridge oats and some crushed seeds/nuts and you can make far better ones (flapjack style) quick enough that require no baking. Just a microwave and a fridge

Yeah my parter does bars for our eldest's lunch box going to school she puts like 5 or 6 ingredients in them I think and you can easily vary them with fruits and chocolates.

Quite like the apricot ones she does.

Actually never occurred to me to take them with me on the bike !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I know that in general, complaints against busses are most common, however kudos to the driver who waited for me to fold up the Brompton enough to get on the bus this morning. It was only 10 seconds, but I appreciated the gesture.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not no bake, but "GCN Energy Bars" (if you google) are a favourite in our house, both for me on the bike and with the children. Only thing is to make sure they're fully cold before cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I spent about 4 hours this afternoon sweeping up fallen leaves on my street. As soon as I had finished, the council sweeper truck arrives. That's several times lately that this has happened. If I don't sweep them up, he doesn't come. I think he's watching me. :(

A couple of us spent a while clearing the road around our green freeing up people's driveways at the time of the snow. When I stepped out of the shower afterwards I saw the local farmer's son coming around in his tractor making a few bob for himself after the residents association paid him to do clear the whole estate.
    Yeah my parter does bars for our eldest's lunch box going to school she puts like 5 or 6 ingredients in them I think and you can easily vary them with fruits and chocolates.

We need the recipe now. edit: I see Macy suggested one. It can be hard to keep the kids lunchboxes both varied and healthy all the time.

I've to be in the gym at 6am now 5 mornings a week, this means getting up at 5, I actually have a gel on my bedside locker just in case :o

But I would love a recipe for a nice bar or if somebody wished to make a few for me I'd not say no :pac:

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    We need the recipe now. edit: I see Macy suggested one. It can be hard to keep the kids lunchboxes both varied and healthy all the time.
    There's a nut ban in our childrens' school, so I replace the almonds with equivalent seeds, and drop the nut butter if it's going in lunch boxes.
    Sunflower Oil – 120ml/1/2 cup 120g Butter
    Soft Dark Brown Sugar – 200g/1 cup
    Golden Syrup – 2 tbsp/ 50g Or Maple Syrup or Honey
    Peanut Butter – 1 tbsp
    Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp

Melt these ingredients in a pan over a low heat until melted and mixed together.

Next, add:
    Sesame Seeds – 25g / 2 tbsp
    Sunflower Seeds – 25g / 2 tbsp
    Flaked Almonds – 50g / 1/2 cup
    Sultanas – 50g / 1/2 cup
    Chopped Dates – 50g / 1/2 cup or Mixed/ any dried Fruit

Gradually stir in thick cut porridge oats/oatmeal – 225g / 8 oz

Transfer mixture to a baking tin lined with parchment. Roughly 25 x 15cm or 10 x 6 inches.

Press down firmly with a metal fork.

Place in an oven at 180degrees c, 350 degrees f or gas mark 4 for 10 – 15 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don’t get over done.

Finally, leave to cool in the tin before you take them out and cut them.
    Italics are my adaptations.

I now do the recipe in two lined loaf tins - you buy the liner parchment paper in dealz, as it's easier to deal with afterwards.

Advertisement