Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Lumen wrote: »
    It would help though, as the acceleration decompresses the front suspension. If there's any of that left.

Chav.

Anybody that runs coilovers on a Pisshat needs to be shot with balls of their own ****e. Driving around a city on that type of suspension causes serious back ache

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anybody that runs coilovers on a Pisshat needs to be shot with balls of their own ****e. Driving around a city on that type of suspension causes serious back ache

Doubt he is running coilovers, most likely lowering springs or just cut springs.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Doubt he is running coilovers, most likely lowering springs or just cut springs.

Says it went through NCT and I **** you not, you can buy VAG coilovers for 120quid online

I've beenusing Dublin Bikes the last few weeks since I'm bike-less for another week or so. I'd say 80% of the time I'm getting one that's broken and I know about not taking one with the seat pointing backwards.

The most common issue is a slipping chain, I'd by happily tipping along and then nearly faceplant the handlebars. The next most common issue is brakes completely worn to the point of not stopping. I wonder has there been a decision to cut maintenance costs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've got the slipping gears (I think, though it could be the chain) but the brakes have always been working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Well it looks like the insurance company will be coughing up the value of my bike. I've told them what I want along with my bike back and they seem to be pleased that they're getting out of it without any personal injury claims.

shows you what farce our claim culture is that someone claiming fairly is seen as a win.

manafana wrote: »
    shows you what farce our claim culture is that someone claiming fairly is seen as a win.

Well getting €550k in court for 'Luas Surfing' tells you everything you need to know.

I've had people tell me I'm 'mad' not to be claiming for injury. It seems once the PIAB get involved the insurance companies are on a hiding to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Well getting €550k in court for 'Luas Surfing' tells you everything you need to know.

I've had people tell me I'm 'mad' not to be claiming for injury. It seems once the PIAB get involved the insurance companies are on a hiding to nothing.

yeah not sure, like alot people claiming fairly are getting alot more due to lawyers etc knowing how to play system. Worth getting yourself a once over just to ensure all is good.

But my mate works insurance and the lobby is stopping reform right now, and our avg road accident claim is 3 times the Uk, and multiples more of germany,fra, spain

oh and to correct 550k was a settlement, never went to court they feared it might cost them 1m. Their was a case of a shop lifter getting 10k because of how she was dealt with

I'm actually fine, the bump was very low impact tbh, I've been slammed harder on the mats during Jiu Jitsu training

The shoplifting one is actually quite common. It's usually a 10k payout, what happens is a person is obviously shoplifting but stopped before leaving the premises. Many years ago as a teen I worked in retail and this happened in the store I was in, new security Guard stopped a lady before she left the shop with a bottle of wine tucked up her sleeve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Had a boot in the rear of my commuter the guts of a year now I guess. (Tyres are a couple of years old cheap Ultra Sports) Got a puncture going home this evening :mad:
    Walk home, discover the boot has disintegrated and the patch under it on the tube has a perfect pierce hole right in the middle of it!
    Rebooted and re-patched, I'm about 2 weeks away from getting the new commuter on the road. Really don't want to get a new tyre...I'll be crossing fingers and toes the next couple of weeks...you've come so far tyre, don't give up now!! :eek:

• Advertisement

You went a year on a boot before you had trouble? , how bad was the damage to the tyre in the first place :D

You went a year on a boot before you had trouble? , how bad was the damage to the tyre in the first place :D

Ha ha yeah, I'm doubly pushing my luck :o:o

It was a big tear, all the way through the tyre, about a cm in length, half a cm in the original cut (which has since widened out to the length of the whole cut :o )

I got proper Park Tools boots because I had a GP4000s sidewall blow out on the road bike last year and thought I can't be caught out again. Worth their weight in gold they are!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have old GP4000S II tyres if you want a proper boot

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have old GP4000S II tyres if you want a proper boot

To my eternal shame I never thought of booting with a bit of tyre *facepalm* :o

I'll dig my old tyre out:o :o

nee wrote: »
    Ha ha yeah, I'm doubly pushing my luck :o:o

It was a big tear, all the way through the tyre, about a cm in length, half a cm in the original cut (which has since widened out to the length of the whole cut :o )

I got proper Park Tools boots because I had a GP4000s sidewall blow out on the road bike last year and thought I can't be caught out again. Worth their weight in gold they are!

Booted my beater bike recently before getting a new tyre and looked at the tube and changed that too. It had 5 patches on it 3 of which came on school runs in the last while. Bike is 16 years old now so it leads me to conclude school runs suck :mad:

Had a boot in the rear of my commuter the guts of a year now I guess. (Tyres are a couple of years old cheap Ultra Sports) Got a puncture going home this evening :mad:
    Walk home, discover the boot has disintegrated and the patch under it on the tube has a perfect pierce hole right in the middle of it!
    Rebooted and re-patched, I'm about 2 weeks away from getting the new commuter on the road. Really don't want to get a new tyre...I'll be crossing fingers and toes the next couple of weeks...you've come so far tyre, don't give up now!! :eek:

If you can collect from Leeson st. I have an almost new mavic yksion you can have foc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If you can collect from Leeson st. I have an almost new mavic yksion you can have foc
    and a lightly used frame with a bit of 'cosmetic' damage too.

and a lightly used frame with a bit of 'cosmetic' damage too.

Funny ****er aren't you :mad: :(

Booted my beater bike recently before getting a new tyre and looked at the tube and changed that too. It had 5 patches on it 3 of which came on school runs in the last while. Bike is 16 years old now so it leads me to conclude school runs suck :mad:

Having never done one but been witness to several thousand, I concur!

Ah you're ok thank you, I have old tyres at home. That I never thought of using. *facepalm.

Ah you're ok thank you, I have old tyres at home. That I never thought of using. *facepalm.

No worries, I'll never use it because I don't have a pair :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you guys not go for that 'skinny tyre on front big tyre on back' so your bike looks like a dragster?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

How the hell do you manage to roll your car over in a housing estate. Just how incapable of basic vehicle control can you be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Can happen much easier than you'd think. Still comes usually down to stupid or reckless driving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Both were accelerating and displaying poor vehicle control.

Frankly the person who rolled that car this morning should have their license taken off them and not handed back until they re-pass their driving test at a minimum

Love the AA clip where the driver coming the other way aims for the footpath and the pedestrian rather than damage their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

In the AA clip had that been another second later I reckon the female pedestrian was toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Crocked wrote: »
    ...Love the AA clip where the driver coming the other way aims for the footpath and the pedestrian rather than damage their car.
    A bity of an unfair comment - nothing to do with avoiding damage to their vehicle.

In any accident situation, the driver of a vehicle will instinctively put their own life first and will swerve to avoid a collision. Hence the reason why a child seat should always be fitted behind the driver's seat and not diagonally across as most seem to prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A bity of an unfair comment - nothing to do with avoiding damage to their vehicle.

In any accident situation, the driver of a vehicle will instinctively put their own life first and will swerve to avoid a collision. Hence the reason why a child seat should always be fitted behind the driver's seat and not diagonally across as most seem to prefer.

Funnily enough I always thought the diagonal across was because if a driver/parent was distracted, they could pull in and check the baby quickly, yours makes sense though.

Advertisement