Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I joined the Wandrer 'new kilometeres' one recently but I'm disappointed that it only analyses the previous 50 rides (unless you pay an annual fee). I think I'll disable it again.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/528504/posts/6741184

I checked that out myself but didn't bother. Maybe I'm getting old and fussy but lately I'm reluctant to sign up to sh1t as I don't trust a lot these sites to sufficiently protect my data.

My data got 'acquired' thanks to the Fastway breach last month and it's resulted in lots of dodgy emails and bogey phone call purporting to be from the Department of Social Protection asking for my PPS number due to a legal action being taken. The voice was recorded - some American lady and the call was from an 046 (Meath) area code. I just hang up and block the number. All started soon after the Fastway thing.

Now I think twice before signing up to stuff that I probably don't really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,905 ✭✭✭cletus

I signed up to wandrer before the 50 cycle free limit came in. I like having a map that shows all the roads I've cycled, but I wouldn't pay for it.

As regards safety, I haven't seen any issues, and the developer seems to really be pursuing this as a passion, having emailed back and forth with him

cletus wrote: »
    I signed up to wandrer before the 50 cycle free limit came in. I like having a map that shows all the roads I've cycled, but I wouldn't pay for it.

As regards safety, I haven't seen any issues, and the developer seems to really be pursuing this as a passion, having emailed back and forth with him

Is there an alterative or a way to manually mark up a map on google etc to have a log of all the roads you've covered?

jonathan/o/keefe.com/strava/map.php will allow you select a date range and display maps accordingly. It's essentially a heatmap.

mod note - URL edited, looks suspect

EDIT by poster : My mistake - it's a typo in the address above - scroll down a few posts to see the correct link.

• Advertisement

Is there an alterative or a way to manually mark up a map on google etc to have a log of all the roads you've covered?

I haven't seen anything else like this. The "big map" is an idea that I'm surprised other platforms haven't picked up on, especially swing as this info is aggregated from Strava, Garmin etc

Looks like there is some German interest in acquiring Wiggle. Could be a good thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

crosstownk wrote: »
    I checked that out myself but didn't bother. Maybe I'm getting old and fussy but lately I'm reluctant to sign up to sh1t as I don't trust a lot these sites to sufficiently protect my data.
    i don't know what this wanderer thing is, but is this a case of allowing strava to share your data with someone else, or signing up for something *within* strava?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

jonathanokeefe.com/strava/map.php will allow you select a date range and display maps accordingly. It's essentially a heatmap.
    that has served three different sites to me on the three attempts to load it - avoid.

i don't know what this wanderer thing is, but is this a case of allowing strava to share your data with someone else, or signing up for something *within* strava?

You allow Strava, Garmin etc, to share data to the wandrer website. Much like you would for komoot, or mapmycycle or any of those sorts of things.

The idea behind the site is that you get points, and placed on a leaderboard, based on the amount of new miles you cycle, that is, roads you haven't been on before.

The other thing it does is maintains a "big map" which shows all of the roads you've cycled, not just the most recent route

• Advertisement

https://wandrer.earth/ is what you want MB.

It's great but for the 50 ride limit unless you pay and the fact I don't care about points and stuff. I just want a log of all the unique roads I've been on and their total distance.

If I could somehow maintain that manually on google maps that would be great but the temptation would be to mark in roads in the locale I've walked down etc. I guess.

i guess it boils down to what data is shared by strava? strava don't have my phone number, what they have is an email address and a credit card number. and there are strict rules about the later i hope they adhere to...

i guess it boils down to what data is shared by strava? strava don't have my phone number, what they have is an email address and a credit card number. and there are strict rules about the later i hope they adhere to...

I'd be surprised if there was anything other than the ride data being shared.

Having said that, the wandrer website offered a time limited deal whereby once you were signed up by s certain date, it would maintain all of your rides. New members, as enfilade has said, are limited to their most recent 50 rides, unless you pay for a subscription.

I have no real interest in the points or leaderboards either, the overall map is the reason I signed up (although the site maintains a series of challenges specific to each locality, which can be interesting), but it's definitely not so important to me that I'd pay to have it

So, I think StatsHunters.com might be the site you want. You allow the site access to your Strava data (I don't have a subscription so I was happy to play guinea pig).

You get full map of all activities, which you can filter for activity type. You get the tile map like veloviewer. You get a heap of statistics and breakdowns etc.

i managed to pull the door of the bathroom closed onto my little toe earlier. it's not broken, nowhere near that sort of damage, but this better not affect my ability to cycle (walking is painful).
    funny enough, cycling is easier than walking. the lack of flexibility in the sole of the cycling shoe seems key.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Something I'm kinda proud of - I've managed to shame all my cycling buddies into not breaking lights when going through towns etc. They are now so compliant they will now call out others they see doing it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Is there such a way of seeing what direction and strength the wind was blowing in a certain day in the past?
    I can find future predictions and current conditions, but it'd be great to see what the wind was doing on a particular spin to plan it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

eeeee wrote: »
    Is there such a way of seeing what direction and strength the wind was blowing in a certain day in the past?
    I can find future predictions and current conditions, but it'd be great to see what the wind was doing on a particular spin to plan it again.

Usually available on Strava if you rode a route on a particular day or know someone who did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

eeeee wrote: »

Windsock app if you use Strava you can link them.

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

That'll give data for about 5 years for all the weather stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

CramCycle wrote: »
    M****F*****, wheel trued and spoke replaced, lasted 3 days and went again and is now more out of true than it was before. Gonna head back in to get it fixed again but they are CX wheels so I would have thought more than capable of the N11 cycle track but maybe not. How many times should a spoke fail before I ask the shop to just replace the wheelset, the bike is only 4 months old and only 2 months of using the bike so far.

Jesus I'd quit messing about if I was in your position. Either get shop to replace wheel or bring it to a proper mechanic and get him to assess it and maybe rebuild wheel.

In all probability there is nothing wrong with your spokes but wheel was never properly built in first place. Simply replacing the broken spoke without figuring out why it happened is a waste of time.

Wheels on new bikes are often shipped with tensions all over the place. Some bean counter somewhere has figured that is cheaper than doing it right.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I don't use strava, and that excellent met.ie link has everything but the wind direction.
    I am not sure it can be done :(

Met.ie have daily summaries for the different weather stations on archive @ https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

Edit: too slow - link already posted

Bingo!!! Thank you so much!

that has served three different sites to me on the three attempts to load it - avoid.

OK - my mistake I typed the link rather than copy and paste. I missed the second 'f' in okeeffe. Apologies.

http://www.jonathanokeeffe.com/strava/map.php

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've never heard a cycling analogy used in snooker before. One of the commentators in tonight's world final described Shaun Murphy as a domestique in the peloton, waiting for the legs to get better.

I've never heard a cycling analogy used in snooker before. One of the commentators in tonight's world final described Shaun Murphy as a domestique in the peloton, waiting for the legs to get better.

It's an odd comparison alright.

It's an interesting final and looking favourable for Selby at this point.

Great to see a full house in the Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's an odd comparison alright.

It's an interesting final and looking favourable for Selby at this point.

Great to see a full house in the Crucible.
    Selby seems to have all the luck. Murphy can be frustrating to watch.

Murphy takes on ballsy pots but they're not working out for him right now.

Still, he just got one back (17-14 to Selby).

• Advertisement

You'd have completed a cycling worlds quicker than these lads have had to play. It's a long time to keep your head together. It's not a sport I follow really but dip in and out when I'm waiting for the racing to be on. I've a lot of respect for the mental focus they have to have and the skill under pressue.

Advertisement