Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭joey100

Luxman wrote: »
    I think that has scuppered my plan for new shorts (Rapha) even though they said no additional charges will be applied.

Just bought new rapha shorts about month ago and no additional costs. Wasn't expecting any but when I got the tracker they were coming from UK and was worried about getting stung. Nothing though. Ordered base layer and shorts. Think they have shipped from Europe in the past when I bought stuff from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Luxman wrote: »
    I think that has scuppered my plan for new shorts (Rapha) even though they said no additional charges will be applied.

Try a european Rapha site. I did a quick check on Rapha.cc.de for shorts (€115) and postage to Ireland is free....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On the quays Saturday and the light goes green for cyclists and it was only as I'd moved forward about 1.5metres I remembered I was on my motorbike and not cycling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most stupid thing i did on the bike yesterday was in attempting to shake some sweat off my hand, i managed to crack my knuckles off the stem cam and take some skin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Today I learned, thanks to the excellent Three Castles Burning podcast, that a penny farthing is called so because the two wheels represented a penny coin and a farthing coin beside each other. It seems obvious now, but I'd never thought about it before.

51WHYyHh5UL._AC_.jpg

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Cork Greenway submissions deadline is tomorrow at 5pm:

It's great when councils consult the public and then... completely ignore the desires of the vast majority?
    It is understood that 75% of respondents favoured the coastline option, which would take the route along the estuary shore between Harty’s Quay and Hop Island.

But officials told councillors on Tuesday that a major upgrade of the existing route along Rochestown Rd is now the preferred option.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40276781.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Today I learned, thanks to the excellent Three Castles Burning podcast, that a penny farthing is called so because the two wheels represented a penny coin and a farthing coin beside each other. It seems obvious now, but I'd never thought about it before.

51WHYyHh5UL._AC_.jpg

It's also a retronym, apparently, like "film camera". They were just called "bicycles" or "ordinaries" when they were widely used.

Actually "ordinary" was itself a retronym, to distinguish them from "safety" bicycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Today I learned, thanks to the excellent Three Castles Burning podcast, that a penny farthing is called so because the two wheels represented a penny coin and a farthing coin beside each other. It seems obvious now, but I'd never thought about it before....
    I'm astounded how that never occurred to you before as it's so self explanatory. :confused:

I'm astounded how that never occurred to you before as it's so self explanatory. :confused:

I don't think it's that obvious, unless you know what a farthing and a penny used to look like, which most people don't, I assume. At the time it was coined it was probably fairly obvious.

Yes, I acknowledged it's obvious in hindsight. Despite my grumpy old man nature, I'm actually under the age of sixty and have never held a farthing, so I never had the chance to compare it to a pre-decimalisation penny. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm actually under the age of sixty and have never held a farthing
    have you ever spent a penny though?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't think it's that obvious, unless you know what a farthing and a penny used to look like, which most people don't...
    I just thought most people would know that a farthing was quarter of a penny and therefore considerably smaller.

(My father was into cycling and coin collecting so I suppose it was obvious in our household).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I don't think it's that obvious, unless you know what a farthing and a penny used to look like, which most people don't, I assume. At the time it was coined it was probably fairly obvious.

I'm not most people then.......

Feck I'm getting old

Only just realised I did this. I would say the penny finally dropped, but that's too much of a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Chapeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I just thought most people would know that a farthing was quarter of a penny and therefore considerably smaller.

(My father was into cycling and coin collecting so I suppose it was obvious in our household).

You grew up right in the sweet spot of the Venn diagram needed for this knowledge :-)

Only just realised I did this. I would say the penny finally dropped, but that's too much of a good thing
    It was just your 2c worth.

lads, don't take the puns a step too far. thing is, they're of limited appeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have no idea how big an old penny or a farthing are.
    Didn't make any cents to me.

I'm not sorry :cool:

Watching the racing earlier and you know the kids have seen to much when the 7 year old when asked who she liked to win out of the break away pointed out not this guy, this guy or this guy. Why? She could see the cables on their bikes and they were bad bikes in her opinion, so Canyon, Cervello and Merida. The Cube was the best according to her.

If she decides to race later in life I'd better start saving.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got a stream of emails from Strava on Wednesday evening telling me about all the local legends I'd lost that day. Never even knew I had 'em to start with. Given my general lack of speed on two wheels, KOMs are not likely coming my way any time soon, so nice to know I'd some class of award on Strava and now wondering if I'm arsed to try and get them back :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

smacl wrote: »
    Got a stream of emails from Strava on Wednesday evening telling me about all the local legends I'd lost that day. Never even knew I had 'em to start with. Given my general lack of speed on two wheels, KOMs are not likely coming my way any time soon, so nice to know I'd some class of award on Strava and now wondering if I'm arsed to try and get them back :p

I kind of ignored the local legends thing. Isn't it to do with the number of attempts at a segment rather than anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I kind of ignored the local legends thing. Isn't it to do with the number of attempts at a segment rather than anything else?

Yes. Although I think it has only recently been rolled out to Ireland

Yes. Although I think it has only recently been rolled out to Ireland

It seems a bit pointless. Create a segment of your favourite quiet road, and spin up and down it for a while and suddenly you are a local legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

It seems a bit pointless. Create a segment of your favourite quiet road, and spin up and down it for a while and suddenly you are a local legend.

I would say they are mostly owned by commuters. Although interesting to see what lunatics have decided to go up some of the tougher climbs 20-30 times over the last while.

i'm scandalised. there's a chap who's listed as the local legend on a climb i like because he's done 12 efforts on it 'in the last 90 days'.
    i've done 12 efforts on it in the last 17 days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Watching the racing earlier and you know the kids have seen to much when the 7 year old when asked who she liked to win out of the break away pointed out not this guy, this guy or this guy. Why? She could see the cables on their bikes and they were bad bikes in her opinion, so Canyon, Cervello and Merida. The Cube was the best according to her.

If she decides to race later in life I'd better start saving.

Sounds like she'd really appreciate track - no cables! Also sounds like at 7 she's old enough to give it a go... track has also started again for kids... if you need any info hmu!
    The next Anna van der Breggan is on the way :D

i'm scandalised. there's a chap who's listed as the local legend on a climb i like because he's done 12 efforts on it 'in the last 90 days'.

You need to do it again today! Right now! Leave work and just go!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

obviously not enough effort :D:D

• Advertisement

i did it nine times on wednesday, that's enough effort for me. though i'll be out again tomorrow and sunday though so i'll definitely give it at least one pop.

Advertisement