Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

https://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/comparing-peak-power-generated-by-a-group-of-irish-riders-a4-to-a1/

I know this study is limited enough because its self reported data but I found it a bit surprising that 20 min power for A4 is over 4w/kg?? :confused:

Looks like I've a long way to go fitness wise before I even consider lining up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Jesus! I'd say you had a small poo.

Yer man on the phone is my barber, nice lad, I'd have thumped the dope on the scooter.

I'd love to hear the conversation between the two of them.
    I'd have been tempted to throw him under the bus.
    See what I did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Eamonnator wrote: »
    See what I did there?

Knowing Locky he asked if he wanted a fade

And yes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

See what I did there?

Yep.

No bigger bus to throw him under - that's a VT - the largest bus in the Dublin Bus fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

See what I did there?

It seemed to me that the barber apologise, asked was he okay, from my perspective it looked like he landed nuts first on top of the bollards, but both just went their way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/comparing-peak-power-generated-by-a-group-of-irish-riders-a4-to-a1/

I know this study is limited enough because its self reported data but I found it a bit surprising that 20 min power for A4 is over 4w/kg?? :confused:

I wouldn't read too much into, plenty get out of A4 with far less, tactics and either a good sprint or a lucky break are far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

wheelo01 wrote: »
    See the bus that passed? That was me driving, fella came out of barber shop engrossed on phone, other pleb was flying, luckily nobody was hurt.
    He could as easily have ended up under my bus had the pole not been there

My first thought watching the video was that the bus driver was very aware. My heart was in my mouth as it came into view. Great stuff on your driving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do bus drivers get any training in observation?
    of course we'll claim your reactions were due to being a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wouldn't read too much into, plenty get out of A4 with far less, tactics and either a good sprint or a lucky break are far more important.

agreed - 75kg A4 would need to be holding 300 watts for that 20 minutes, and (imho) there are very few who would be doing that. Most A4s wouldnt have that, and as Cram says, tactics and a good sprint are way more important.

do bus drivers get any training in observation?
    of course we'll claim your reactions were due to being a cyclist.

when i was about 14 or 15, i was cycling along the malahide road, when a double decker (the 43 to swords) hit me in the ass. He kept driving. I was knocked into the grass verge, but mostly unhurt. I saw a few friends at a nearby shop, and was telling them about it, when a passenger of the bus came over to me - she and other passengers had see the incident and told the bus driver, who for whatever reason just continued on. Later, my father rang the garage, and overhead a conversation between the driver and the control room, where the driver said 'Yeah, I think I hit a bike on the way out'

From my perspective, i was lucky i wasnt killed or seriously injured, but looking back im always amazed that someone would continue on driving after knowing and being told they hit someone. I really hope they have changed their approach to training since then.

I guess it's like everything - good and bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Ah sound - I took others advice on here and joined a club so I’m a good bit away from racing I just seen that article and was using it as a barometer of how far I was away. Might do a training log on it coming from obese to race fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I asked premier endurance about this when it came out, was curious about the numbers. All self reported, and based on peak figures from 2020. So I would guess that lads have picked their best figures across the season. Not sure I'd take people's weight as accurate too, I'd guess people compare their best power numbers against their best weight over the season rather than 1 specific point in time.

joey100 wrote: »
    I asked premier endurance about this when it came out, was curious about the numbers. All self reported, and based on peak figures from 2020. So I would guess that lads have picked their best figures across the season. Not sure I'd take people's weight as accurate too, I'd guess people compare their best power numbers against their best weight over the season rather than 1 specific point in time.

As someone who has led the A4 bunch in Mondello and gotten 1st unplaced, as well as a few other placings at A4 level, never was my power close to that on average over a race. Its not impossible on a short race but it simply is not a thing at A4 IMO.

I think the only time I have done close to this for a full race is racing semi limit in my club league in Corkagh where I made a brake in the 1st lap and TTd away to catch limit, rode through and managed to pip the guy who bridged in a sprint and to say what I done felt unnatural would be a lie, my HR averaged 193, and only dropped to 180 for a few seconds when I caught limit and decided to ride through. I was well over 4W/kg for the 45 minutes but like I said, it wasn't a normal performance and I have never repeated it.

As above, if I took my lightest weight and my peak power, it would look like I was averaging 5.8W/kg, in reality I would say a typical race probably between 2 and 3 W/kg if I race smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

The best way to get out of A4 is to join my campaign to get Cycling Ireland to establish an A5 category. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is remarkable, if real. I guess it's real?
    https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1392846129239363591

EDIT: Remarkably, that really is whoever made the video's idea of "a really good lock".

Funny, same councillor had a go at Gardai for arresting a drug driver, used the term 'go after real criminals'. After that I have zero respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Funny, same councillor had a go at Gardai for arresting a drug driver, used the term 'go after real criminals'. After that I have zero respect for him.

Doesn't seem to fit with his pro-cycling stance. Have you got a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think even if he's a thoroughly unreliable source, it's quite something that anyone putting together a clip to advise people on bicycle security would present that as "a really good lock".

EDIT: There it is. Seems to be a Fine Gael video. Also recommends you put your eircode on your bike, which most people think is a terrible idea.
    https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1392839191139024901

buffalo wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to fit with his pro-cycling stance. Have you got a link?

I was shocked and argued with him and then he deleted it. I had a screenshot but can't put my hands on it now

daragh_ wrote: »
    The best way to get out of A4 is to join my campaign to get Cycling Ireland to establish an A5 category. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

i fully subscribe to this proposal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My Wahoo bolt seems to be stuck in a boot loop after getting wet today.

Tried the usual tricks and still the same, not a good end to the spin.

dahat wrote: »

Get onto Wahoo, I had good experience when mine bricked it and they had me sorted with a replacement in a few days from their Irish distributor.

Get onto Wahoo, I had good experience when mine bricked it and they had me sorted with a replacement in a few days from their Irish distributor.

Will do ASAP.

Now reads “error please plug out charger”.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will do ASAP.

Now reads “error please plug out charger”.

Dry out the USB, moisture in the port can short the pins.

I'd similar experiences.

I'd an issue with my ELEMNT Bolt sh1tting itself in wet conditions. I got onto Wahoo Support and submitted a request (at the bottom of the linked page). Within hours I had a reply asking for proof of purchase. Once I submitted the receipt (bought in CSS three weeks earlier), I was sent instructions to perform a 'Field Destroy' on the unit and submit photos of the destroyed unit - at which point they sent me a replacement unit which arrived a week later.

Decent support, imo. A side benefit of getting a replacement is that I now have an additional out front mount and standard mount for my other bikes :)

Field destroy is a new one on me. Makes a lot of sense though in some ways.

Stops it ending up on AliExpress like lots of old Garmin stuff and possible brand damage. That and it means your not spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I was shocked and argued with him and then he deleted it. I had a screenshot but can't put my hands on it now

spends too much time on twitter, but his actions as councilor have been good for imo, got alot of the barriers on the pedestrian/cycle lanes removed, and done some work to clean up the park up by lambs cross.

I was given the option of returning it rather than field destroy but the destroy option was given due to Covid and speed of replacement.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Dry out the USB, moisture in the port can short the pins.

It’s in rice for a few hours now, I’ll try again tomorrow and see. Thanks for the tip.

Advertisement