Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Was parking outside the Cinema ever safe? For as long as I can remember there were people knocking bikes outside there on a daily basis.

I ended up getting the train in with the crap weather, but had to get the bus home. Funnily enough - given your post - as I was walking past the corner of Jervis St and Parnell St, I spotted a young man with his hood up yanking a bike off a Sheffield Stand. Just tore the ****ty stringy lock with a couple of pulls.

There wasn't anyone else around in the rain bar a lad stumbling along with a can, so I decided it wasn't worth challenging him. As I walked down Jervis St toward the quays, the guy passed me cycling the bike slowly, nonchalantly chatting on his mobile. Happily, a Garda van was coming up the street. I flagged them down and told them he'd just nicked the bike he was on and they said 'sound', but then continued driving on up to Parnell St.

I plodded along in the rain, thinking that it was a typical Garda attitude not to care about bike theft. The guy was doing lazy circles at the junction with Henry St, clearly not giving a ****, and then started pedalling back up Jervis St toward Parnell St. I was feeling rather disappointed in myself and the Gardaí, when the blue lights start flashing and the van pulls up. Bike thief nicked! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Need more people to be proactive like this - nice job :)

Had a dream the cranks fell off my bike last night and felt compelled to check them when I got up. Theres play in them for sure. Must have subconsciously noted that because I never noticed it when I was last on the road bike at the week end.

Felt a little freaked out to say the least this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Need more people to be proactive like this - nice job :)

I once started following someone who definitely nicked a bike near where I worked at the time. Throwing the lock into the river was a giveaway, as well as size.

He went down some fairly dodgy road so I left it. I'm convinced I saw that bike for sale in a nearby job that I've had suspicions about from the day it opened

The classic pulling your keys out when you come across someone fiddling with a bike lock is always good "here do you want the key pal?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Had a dream the cranks fell off my bike last night and felt compelled to check them when I got up. Theres play in them for sure. Must have subconsciously noted that because I never noticed it when I was last on the road bike at the week end.

Felt a little freaked out to say the least this morning.

I've recurring dreams about being separated from one of the bikes before I have a chance to lock it. The bike taking the starring role changes and the precise chain of events that leave the bike unsecured varies, but other than that they have a Twilight Zone-style dreaming uniformity.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've recurring dreams about being separated from one of the bikes before I have a chance to lock it. The bike taking the starring role changes and the precise chain of events that leave the bike unsecured varies, but other than that they have a Twilight Zone-style dreaming uniformity.

It's rare I dream or else I don't remember them but it was so vivid. I can recall picking up the BB cups and trying to get the cranks back on and moving a little plastic lever on them to lock the the BB in place like an open-close switch then getting ready to be on my way and my brake levers having no inner ones like someone stole my gears as I pushed the bike. Like I said freaked me the hell out good and proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cunavalos

It might not be much use currently as the campus is closed to the general public but Trinity have installed two bike repair stations
    https://twitter.com/tcddublin/status/1278726531242774532
    May prove useful for anyone stuck in need of minor repairs in the city centre without access to tools and pump.
    Judging by the pictures they are Turvec Bike Repair & Pump Stations https://turvec.com/product/cycle-repair-stand-pump/ and contain the following tools Steel ropes, Phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, T25 Torx – screwdriver, adjustable spanner, skateboard tools, flat wrench 8×10 mm, flat wrench 13×15 mm, hex key set, tyre levers (plastic with steel core).

One of the stations will be located in the main square and the other at the East End near the Science Gallery and Sports Centre just off Pearse Street

cunavalos wrote: »
    It might not be much use currently as the campus is closed to the general public but Trinity have installed two bike repair stations
    https://twitter.com/tcddublin/status/1278726531242774532
    May prove useful for anyone stuck in need of minor repairs in the city centre without access to tools and pump.
    Judging by the pictures they are Turvec Bike Repair & Pump Stations https://turvec.com/product/cycle-repair-stand-pump/ and contain the following tools Steel ropes, Phillips screwdriver, flat screwdriver, T25 Torx – screwdriver, adjustable spanner, skateboard tools, flat wrench 8×10 mm, flat wrench 13×15 mm, hex key set, tyre levers (plastic with steel core).

One of the stations will be located in the main square and the other at the East End near the Science Gallery and Sports Centre just off Pearse Street
    I noticed a smart bench in the Sandyford Business Park, near Woodies. It has a few bike tools incorporated into it, as well as a few USB charging ports. Nice idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....and on a similar topic, the tools seemed to have gone from the one in Drury Street.

• Advertisement

....and on a similar topic, the tools seemed to have gone from the one in Drury Street.

Stolen, or removed officially, do you think?

I never trusted the pump there. I saw a few people try it out and end up deflating their tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

There's another stand at the bottom of Grange Road Rathfarnham near St Mary's Boy's School. Beside the bike lockers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

gas that i learned about this site on GCN:

https://refill.ie/

That's pretty handy!

I've a few routes , thinking back to 2018 and that summer where I was told when asking random persons in their garden if they could fill up my bottles for me to work away at the outdoor tap for the hose , and do so any time I liked and I do and have done this year even.

EDIT: Looking at the map I'm surprised to see so many places in Drogheda... mostly pubs. I won't name the place but I once I stopped for tea and breakfast on the way back from a spin and when I was leaving asked if they'd fill my bottle and it was like I'd asked them for a hot drop in the tea pot ffs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just the usual monday morning ****e on twitter:

https://twitter.com/Luighseach/status/1279743772809715713

this one has gained legs.
    funny thing is i was cycling solo on the same road - dunboyne to maynooth - yesterday and had quite a few stupid overtakes. my favourite was when three motorists overtook me at a 'no overtaking sign', so i made a production of pointing at it as i passed, and one gave me the fingers as a thank you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

She was being eviscerated when I saw this last night

And she rowed back with a an apology that's not an aoology

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Isn't it about time a spade was called a spade and dear Lucy called out for the obvious unspoken intention? The car driver was hoping (expecting?) to see cyclists in single file so that he/she could squeeze by in-lane and relieve themselves of the frustration and anxiety of a time-compromised journey.

All the obvious retorts about continuous white lines, and not safe to overtake are just preaching to the choir - Lucy knows all of this and had no intention of going into the other lane to overtake. Every answer she provides supports this view - she just wanted to squeeze by - single file, 2 abreast, 3 abreast - doesn't really matter. She was prevented by road traffic laws, road furniture, and the MPD law and is furious about this.

Bloody cyclists, just *being* on our roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    She was being eviscerated when I saw this last night

And she rowed back with a an apology that's not an aoology

I deleted my Twitter account last week...At last, but I still can't get over the mental gymnastics some people use on it, and worse, do some from an account highlighting their business... Did they learn nothing from Crossfit and all the other company f'ups!

To add, relating to this... Metal is a relatively large Finnish company that makes products for powerlifters. Pretty big in the states, less so on Europe as its founder Ano Turtiainen was a powerlifter but now a politician in a Finnish Nationalist party, who kicked him out of the party because, again, he tweeted something racist. Many Europeans have always been aware of this, the Americans, not at all. All Metal products have been banned from meets and the company SBD are making gains by offering to replace all Metal gear with their own for customers.

Another company ruined by a tweet.

Looks like she deleted the tweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She hasn't deleted her replies to the thread...

https://twitter.com/Luighseach/status/1279769124118433792

"All I can say is that the cycling lobby are very preachy preachy, touchy touchy."

She also tweeted how she had "No intention Jennifer of overtaking at that spot. It was first op to take the picture." - if she was a passenger as she claimed, how did she not have the opportunity to take the picture before then?
    https://twitter.com/Luighseach/status/1279817004824907777

https://twitter.com/Luighseach/status/1279750816895774721

"Yes as he approached the roundabout. Behind them for ages. Would feel the same if it was a slow driver."
    I can't, however, find her tweets moaning about slow drivers.

That photo was taken 1.2km from maynooth.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

First for me on Saturday, myself and a friend were given out to for cycling two abreast...by another cyclist! Who then proceeded to half wheel his friend for the next 5k 🙄

It was on the Enniskerry road, which seems to be getting busier and more unpleasant to cycle on all the time. Most drivers give enough space in fairness, but you're just being overtaken every few seconds. And I'd say we passed every single car who'd overtaken us once we got to the tailback on Sandyford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My uncle crashed into my parked motorbike, knocking it over and causing a good bit of damage, while I'm thankful it wasn't my Look he crashed into I am still plotting his murder, it was nice talking to you all.

My uncle crashed into my parked motorbike, knocking it over and causing a good bit of damage, while I'm thankful it wasn't my Look he crashed into I am still plotting his murder, it was nice talking to you all.

My uncles bikes are worth typically double any motorbikes he meets :D

Last I was talking to him, he was cocked and loaded and ready to pull the trigger on a Ridley with a 12 speed campy record group set. I hate him so much unless I get as spin on it next he's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can anyone tell me if this segment is suitable for a road bike? https://www.strava.com/segments/13359955
    I know from coming up the ticknock end to the transmitters that there are loose chips at the very top, that last bit on google maps on the stepaside side seems to be tarmac.

569aaf60eec2518caf2aa91e63678d8b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

It's tarmac until the gate shortly after that picture. Then it is fairly coarse gravel to the top. You would manage, the gradient on road bike gears might be tougher than the gravel itself. I think Orwell ran a hillclimb up there once, somebody else might know if many were on road tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

retalivity wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this segment is suitable for a road bike?

I can tell you it's suitable for a Dublin Bike. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've done it on a road bike without huge issue, its rough but doable

Advertisement