Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

My uncles bikes are worth typically double any motorbikes he meets :D

Last I was talking to him, he was cocked and loaded and ready to pull the trigger on a Ridley with a 12 speed campy record group set. I hate him so much unless I get as spin on it next he's over.

My wheelset cost nearly as much as my motorbike

My wheelset cost nearly as much as my motorbike

Good thing he didn't hit the Look so !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Good thing he didn't hit the Look so !!!!!!!!

Wouldnt have been the only thing getting hit if that was the case

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Living in Co. Kildare, it's good to see everything my council are doing for cycling when I read about all the stuff Dublin City Co are currently rolling out...

https://twitter.com/billclear45/status/1280522740382957568?s=19

Wonder what was the content of the 22 'school cycle safety programmes' delivered ?

The skeptic in me is thinking lost of hi-vis and helmet talk and a free RSA vest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it was 1000 1m long lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my favourite bit in what i assume is the 'achievements' column is '9 SWAT meetings held'.
    having a meeting is not an achievement. it's like a really ****ty end of year employee performance review.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

my favourite bit in what i assume is the 'achievements' column is '9 SWAT meetings held'.
    having a meeting is not an achievement. it's like a really ****ty end of year employee performance review.

When transport subcommittees only manage 4 meetings annualy 9 is stellar performance :rolleyes:

it appears that is the "Severe Weather Assessment Team".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭patrickc

Question for those who know routes in South Dublin / wicklow.
    I've to leave someone to Vincent's for tests on Friday morning and I'm estimating I will have 3 hours to kill so I'm thinking I'll pop the bike in the car.
    I should get free parking around Blackrock so would that be a good place to start from and can anyone recommend a good route?
    2 to 2 half hours maybe 3 hours..
    Any suggestions appreciated thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

I usually count not having a meeting as an achievement. :D

Yeah meetings I don't miss at work. These days they are fun, theres always a comedy moment involving a child or a pet on Teams.

My boss has been asked when my 2 year old climbed up on my chair at the kitchen table to see my laptop if she liked paws patrol and splashing in muddy puddles (thanks peppa pig) :pac:

Dogs have appeared to investigate on colleagues screens and partners have made cameos forgetting they could be heard !!!!

a colleague was in a team meeting, at a point where his boss was rabbiting on about how good he (his boss) was - as he is prone to do at length. neil interrupted the meeting with very enthusiastic 'WHO'S A GOOD BOY? WHO'S A GOOD BOY? YOU ARE!', when his dog came in, not realising he was not muted.

btw, heard mention of an interesting idea on GCN, an hour's climbing challenge. there have been boardsie hill climb challenges before, but they require access to the same hill.
    i'm assuming - they didn't go into any detail - that what they mean is that you pick a hill and try to get as much elevation gain in one hour as possible. could be something we could do, would mean it's not confined to dublin or wicklow as usual?

Thats pretty much Everesting with a 60 minute limit and see how much elevation you can gain? Hill doesn't matter, nor the gradient just how much up you gain in an hour.

Yep, sounds like an interesting challenge.

Yep, sounds like an interesting challenge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah meetings I don't miss at work. These days they are fun, theres always a comedy moment involving a child or a pet on Teams.

My boss has been asked when my 2 year old climbed up on my chair at the kitchen table to see my laptop if she liked paws patrol and splashing in muddy puddles (thanks peppa pig) :pac:

Dogs have appeared to investigate on colleagues screens and partners have made cameos forgetting they could be heard !!!!

Amazing!

We have teams in work too and there hasn't been anywhere near half enough pet and/ or child appearances!

I think a new rule could be I will do no video calls without at least 1 pet present :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That is really annoying, any sign of Garda or council takign action?
    patrickc wrote: »
    Question for those who know routes in South Dublin / wicklow.
    I've to leave someone to Vincent's for tests on Friday morning and I'm estimating I will have 3 hours to kill so I'm thinking I'll pop the bike in the car.
    I should get free parking around Blackrock so would that be a good place to start from and can anyone recommend a good route?
    2 to 2 half hours maybe 3 hours..
    Any suggestions appreciated thanks
    I would park on North Avenue, just off Fosters Avenue. Its about 5 minutes drive from St. Vincents and far quieter. Your about 10 minutes cycle beefore you cross over the M50 heading for Lamb Doyles and after that, your happy no matter what route you take

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, North Avenue is a good shout. Forget free parking in Blackrock during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Wow, amazing bike parking system
    ECO Cycle https://imgur.com/gallery/FMlZkrn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I got a new Garmin lately and today I was messing around with Garmin Connect.
    I was asked to confirm a new PB for 40kms of 1 hour and 28 seconds. This PB was set last year during the Tony Golden sportive.
    I don't know whether to be delighted with the time, or p1ssed, that I didn't go under the hour for the 40Kms.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was asked to confirm a new PB for 40kms of 1 hour and 28 seconds. This PB was set last year during the Yony Golden sportive.
    I don't know whether to be delighted with the time, or p1ssed, that I didn't go under the hour for the 40Kms.

Pissed.
    You now have to do 40k in the hour now :P

I was asked to confirm a new PB for 40kms of 1 hour and 28 seconds. This PB was set last year during the Yony Golden sportive.

Pissed.
    You now have to do 40k in the hour now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

buffalo wrote: »
    Dublin cyclists: just in case you're not aware, DCC are currently soliciting suggestions for improving the city in the wake of Covid19:
    * Protected cycle lanes
    * Contra-flow cycle lanes
    * Cycle parking facilities

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/covid-mobility-measure-request-form/

I've been adding places that I used to encounter on my commute where advanced stop boxes would be useful, or shops where there was no proper parking.

Just bumping this, it's a great initiative. I'm slowly but surely adding places along my commute too and would strongly encourage others to do so.

this 'having a pop at the everesting record' vogue is at epidemic proportions now.

Contador (37) comes out of retirement to break Everesting world record
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-contador-37-comes-out-of-retirement-to-break-everesting-world-record

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was asked to confirm a new PB for 40kms of 1 hour and 28 seconds. This PB was set last year during the Tony Golden sportive.
    I would be disgusted with myself.
    this 'having a pop at the everesting record' vogue is at epidemic proportions now.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-contador-37-comes-out-of-retirement-to-break-everesting-world-record
    Pedant alert: Is it actually coming out of retirement if he is clearly doing this for work that he was already at (bike promotion)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Addicted to these types of videos lately, millions of them on Youtube but this guys are the best imo:

Interestingly the womens record was broken this week by a retired pro too.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/emma-pooley-breaks-everesting-womens-record-by-15-minutes/

She opted for 10 times up a longer climb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thargor wrote: »
    Addicted to these types of videos lately, millions of them on Youtube but this guys are the best imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPxx-pPGIb0
    That takes some amount of guts!

Advertisement