Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

No surprise to see Contador break the record, though, I think they're fairly close to the limit of how quickly the men can complete the challenge. Contador would still finish top ten in a Grand Tour if he came back now.

I reckon Van Vleuten could take another 15-20 minutes off Pooley's time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Thargor wrote: »
    Addicted to these types of videos lately, millions of them on Youtube but this guys are the best imo:
    closer to home, have you seen tutschel's channel? if not, check out his descent of mount leinster.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNY7dHC34OVznqpnkrlWbKA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you use the Phoenix park, looks like the good lessons weren't learned

https://twitter.com/normaburke/status/1281664730470457344

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Interestingly the womens record was broken this week by a retired pro too.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/emma-pooley-breaks-everesting-womens-record-by-15-minutes/

She opted for 10 times up a longer climb.
    Graham Macken is attempting to do a double Everest on the Hill of Tara yesterday/today - 250 repeats.

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/hill-of-tara-double-everest-250reps/?fbclid=IwAR3DKPu9LuZ8q_eVp_NFKMyckJx7yELUTRrnLih1tdp7ahzlJCam10r5-ys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,135 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I might be able to swing out that way on the bike today, may check in.

• Advertisement

popped out, he was just finishing i think his 177th climb when i arrived, so i hung around and did a few reps, good bunch of supporters there.

Just looking at the timing , he's averaging what 10 minutes a rep?

Just looking at the timing , he's averaging what 10 minutes a rep?
    If you factor in elapsed time it's about 11.5 mins per repeat. 190 done now.

If you factor in elapsed time it's about 11.5 mins per repeat. 190 done now.

Notice the drop to 16 and 14 minutes right around the time MB showed up :rolleyes:

yeah, he was beginning to suffer a little before i arrived.
    when i was there, the average seems to have been 8 mins for the climb, and i think maybe two and a half for the descent.

• Advertisement

He's moving again - was stopped for a good while. I thought he had called it a day. 194 reps done now.

50 more to go. Ten hours in the saddle still to go with all that already done.

he's only managed 5 reps in the last two hours. hope he's OK.

Last 5 reps, looks ok to me

200 39:51:11.79 10:16.37
    201 40:01:25.26 10:13.47
    202 40:15:44.67 14:19.41
    203 40:28:07.84 12:23.18
    204 40:39:27.60 11:19.77
    205 40:50:40.73 11:13.13

aha, it's jumped to 212 now; i suspect an update issue.

Ah so I see, he's looking even Steven there. He's been lucky with the weather compared to Joe Barr and his adventure last week. Not a puff of wind here now about 20km away from him but cool for a clear July night.

248 done now. Incredible stuff! 50 hours at it.

249!

Done and dusted. Serious achievement.51 hours 8 minutes.

Live tracker seems to be going backwards - now showing 248! :confused:

• Advertisement

btw, heard mention of an interesting idea on GCN, an hour's climbing challenge. there have been boardsie hill climb challenges before, but they require access to the same hill.
    i'm assuming - they didn't go into any detail - that what they mean is that you pick a hill and try to get as much elevation gain in one hour as possible. could be something we could do, would mean it's not confined to dublin or wicklow as usual?
    GCN have released the video on this. could be good for a boards challenge?
    how much can you climb in an hour, with the caveat that you have to finish at the same elevation that you start, so it doesn't need long hills (and in fact a long hill could be a disadvantage, as you don't want a hill which takes 16 minutes to ascend and descend, cos that'd leave you with 12 minutes spare at the end where there's no point starting a final rep (assuming you're not going to allow a partial ascent and then descent - but that doesn't have to be set in stone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Do Ass Savers work? I have one of these on my Defy that I use as my commuter but it really doesnt look good on a roadbike:

7dE3Np3.jpg

Reviews seem to run the full range between love than and dont do anything!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Get yourself some raceblades, I have ass savers and they're not really worth a shyte tbh. I only have it on for a rainy race when I can't put raceblades on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Raceblades not much of an improvement in looks over what I have though and look like an even bigger pain to take off in good weather periods.

ronan mclaughlin has annhilated the irish everesting record, possibly fifth fastest in the world:

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/mclaughlin-smashes-irish-everesting-record-on-mamore-top-5-in-world/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GCN have released the video on this. could be good for a boards challenge?
    how much can you climb in an hour, with the caveat that you have to finish at the same elevation that you start, so it doesn't need long hills (and in fact a long hill could be a disadvantage, as you don't want a hill which takes 16 minutes to ascend and descend, cos that'd leave you with 12 minutes spare at the end where there's no point starting a final rep (assuming you're not going to allow a partial ascent and then descent - but that doesn't have to be set in stone?)

Other than the finish at the same elevation as you started before the hour finishes, I presume there are no other rules. I for one like this as a challenge.

ollie bridgewood has a cunning plan in that video - there were no rules explained to him that the vertical ascent all had to be on the one hill, so he picked two hills in a half pipe shape so he could carry his momentum from the descent of hill A onto hill B, no scrubbing speed for braking and turning the bike around.
    though it makes sense to rule that out.

one reason i would be wary of a partial ascent and descent is that GPS data on elevation is shaky (certainly with my cheapo garmin which has no barometric sensor) so elevation on a partial attempt could be inaccurate.

Thargor wrote: »
    Raceblades not much of an improvement in looks over what I have though and look like an even bigger pain to take off in good weather periods.

I whip mine on and off in less than 10 secs.
    And nothing looks worse than the beaver tail!

CramCycle wrote: »
    Other than the finish at the same elevation as you started before the hour finishes, I presume there are no other rules. I for one like this as a challenge.

I need to find me a natural half-pipe :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

eeeee wrote: »
    I whip mine on and off in less than 10 secs.
    And nothing looks worse than the beaver tail!

gif-benny-hill.gif

Advertisement