Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cletus wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Does that not break rule #24?
    Well you simply refer to a century as a century, not 100 miles. If you want to be a pedant, a century is 160.9344km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well you simply refer to a century as a century, not 100 miles. If you want to be a pedant, a century is 160.9344km.

In actual fact, I believe the proper term outside US and UK is an Imperial Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭cletus

Well, there's a breakdown in logic. The word century specifically refers to the number 100. Why would anyone use it to refer to 160, or any other number for that matter?

I contend that if "a century" in cycling terms refers to 100 miles, then it directly contravenes rule #24 of the Velominati.

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I've never cycled a hundred miles, nor do I follow any of the other rules, except accidentally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Well, there's a breakdown in logic. The word century specifically refers to the number 100. Why would anyone use it to refer to 160, or any other number for that matter?

I contend that if "a century" in cycling terms refers to 100 miles, then it directly contravenes rule #24 of the Velominati.

This doesn't bother me in the slightest, as I've never cycled a hundred miles, nor do I follow any of the other rules, except accidentally :D

@cletus
    It goes to my heart to have to say this, But I agree with you.
    All measurements are to be in kilometres. Therefore a Century is 100 kilometres
    or if you're American, 100 kilometers.

A century as referred to in cycling, as a term, refers to a distance of 100miles. To comply with Velominati rules it must be referred to in kms. Therefore I stand over my statement, the phrase, to ride a century, in regards the term coined for cycling challenges is 160something kilometres long.

• Advertisement

A century as referred to in cycling, as a term, refers to a distance of 100miles. To comply with Velominati rules it must be referred to in kms. Therefore I stand over my statement, the phrase, to ride a century, in regards the term coined for cycling challenges is 160something kilometres long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGHtDpB7ovk

Or... you could just add a word as I already suggested.

Or... the Century has existed since long before the rules and is a larger part of cycling history as is the Mile Dash which all you track riders should be aware of.

These are historical cycling terms and supersede the Rules which I hold dear.

Or... the Century has existed since long before the rules and is a larger part of cycling history as is the Mile Dash which all you track riders should be aware of.

The latter, the metric century sounds wrong and the Audax / TT crowd would laugh at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Disappointingly, the SI system doesn't have a power of 5 prefix, and you can't combine prefixes.

So the only convenient expressions are 100km or 0.1 megametres. Maybe call it a "siècle"?

I've said this before, but I really want the old railway bridge in Galway city to become a cycling bridge:

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1263485493502717954

• Advertisement

The latter, the metric century sounds wrong and the Audax / TT crowd would laugh at me.

Oh dear. You’ve left your fellow trackies behind and aligned yourself with those who actually go somewhere on a bike. That’s a shame, but the oval will be there, waiting.

Is this anomaly addressed within the rules? Who has decided that they supercede the rules? If there is a higher authority than the rules, why abide by the rules at all?

If you want to cycle a hundred miles, and refer to it as something, while sticking to the rules, the only viable option I see here is to say you cycled "a century and a half, plus 10km, and then just a little bit further"

Is this anomaly addressed within the rules? Who has decided that they supercede the rules? If there is a higher authority than the rules, why abide by the rules at all?

If you want to cycle a hundred miles, and refer to it as something, while sticking to the rules, the only viable option I see here is to say you cycled "a century and a half, plus 10km, and then just a little bit further"

I admit the error of my ways:

All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden.

Therefore our conclusion must be that the Imperial Century is not a monument.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Miles ?
    Are we back in the 1800's ??
    A century is 100kms

There are those of us who can ride 100 miles and those who can't, I guess thats the defining difference here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_ride

Century_ride
    Don't read past the first sentence, nothing important after that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There are those of us who can ride 100 miles and those who can't, I guess thats the defining difference here.

Century_ride

I take your point but will defer to Brian Clough for clarity on this one..
    “We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right”

Century_ride

Sorry Cramcycle, that just brings me back to the crux of my argument. You cannot consider a century to be 100 miles AND hold true to the rules of the Velominati.

You must choose between the two.

Lest we forget Rule #24

"Speeds and distances shall be referred to and measured in kilometers.This includes while discussing cycling in the workplace with your non-cycling coworkers, serving to further mystify our sport in the web of their Neanderthalic cognitive capabilities. As the confused expression spreads across their unibrowed faces, casually mention your shaved legs. All of cycling’s monuments are measured in the metric system and as such the English system is forbidden."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

You summoned this demon by mentioning the A- word.

The English (heretics) run 100km audaxes. On this side of the water, we start at 200km. So you will have certainly completed a century (Imperial) or a double century (metric) by the time you've completed your 200km. Two birds, one stone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You summoned this demon by mentioning the A- word.

The English (heretics) run 100km audaxes. On this side of the water, we start at 200km. So you will have certainly completed a century (Imperial) or a double century (metric) by the time you've completed your 200km. Two birds, one stone.
    Don't you mean 6.35kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't quite think they quite belong in the images of beauty thread, but i was in duff cycles in santry earlier, and they have some of what look like the 2020 liv avail models in there; and the paintjob knocks the socks off any of the other bikes there.

looks like they had the AR2 and AR3 on display:

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/bikes-avail-ar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The AR3 paint job is spectacular.
    I am loving the ubiquity of sick fadez, goodbye and good riddance black!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

good god. an everest in under 8 hours. apparently the record was broken soon afterwards, too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3437284857

Sorry Cramcycle, that just brings me back to the crux of my argument. You cannot consider a century to be 100 miles AND hold true to the rules of the Velominati.

You must choose between the two.

Lest we forget Rule #24
    ."
    I think I'm covered, your referring to the literal word century. I am referring to the descriptive term that refers to a distance that happens to be a little over 160km.

good god. an everest in under 8 hours. apparently the record was broken soon afterwards, too.

I note that he didn't quite complete an Imperial Century.

I think I'm covered, your referring to the literal word century. I am referring to the descriptive term that refers to a distance that happens to be a little over 160km.

You're stretching it Cram. Why would they call it a Century at all if it didn't refer to the number 100?

I think you're in a bind, and looking for a way out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

If it's not on Garmin it didn't happen :D

apparently this tool had previously only been available to councillors, but has now been made public by DLR::

https://cllrsportal.powerappsportals.com/report-it-frm/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I've said this before, but I really want the old railway bridge in Galway city to become a cycling bridge:

https://twitter.com/ccferrie/status/1263485493502717954

When it comes over onto the NUIG campus, where will the cycleway go?

• Advertisement

When it comes over onto the NUIG campus, where will the cycleway go?

No idea. I just really like the idea (which has been kicking around for decades, I think).

Advertisement