Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toronto

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Any pity I might have for them evaporates when I see a thread like this…

https://incels.me/threads/caught-this-fat-bitch-swiping-left-on-tinder-video.37970/#post-664926

That forum is certainly colourful reading.

https://incels.me/threads/message-to-all-guests-browsing-this-website.38811/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Toronto police in my experience are pretty great for the most part. Unlike some other places they don't view themselves as Judge Dredd and rather as overseeing the community - they also exercise common sense very well, so if you see a few people quietly smoking a joint in Kensington or discreetly having a few beers and chucking around a frisbee out on the island (Canadians love frisbee for some reason) they'll leave them be or politely ask them to put/pour it out, but if they see people selling the stuff or becoming loud and obnoxious after drinks they'll be sterner. At the same time if someone were smoking a joint in the central business district or tourist square they'd be very quick to take names or possibly further action, and so people know to behave more around those spots (both of those are also on Yonge St where this happened by the way - it's hugely fortunate he didn't decide to drive a few km down to Yonge/Bloor or Yonge/Queen to do the deed).

I've also seen them when things get serious, and they don't mess about in that sense but as the video showed they're typically really well controlled and trained. There was a double murder in a pub less than 100 footsteps from my front door and the entire place was locked down almost immediately with them questioning everyone, but at the same time they were still polite and considerate to people trying to get back to their apartments in terms of explaining the situation.

There have been some issues that have caused upset, like a policeman shooting someone dead in 2013 excessively (in the US you get paid vacation for this, in Canada the policeman got sent to jail) or their not taking the serial killer in the gay area of Church St. seriously, though that is obviously more of an upper management type call than a decision by police on the street. But by and large Canadians have a lot of respect for the 'on the beat' police over there because of how they go about their jobs, and a good few take pride in the fact.

Also if you watch the video you can see that three pedestrians walked directly behind the culprit during the stand off, if some got their wish for US military policing we might be talking about the 10 dead victims, 1 dead culprit, and 2-3 "pieces of collateral damage". Absolute hats off to the policeman, because I can't say I would have the balls to call the terrorist's bluff the first time he motioned to make out he had a gun.

yeah this was posted earlier on the thread. I blame reddit myself.

I did a bit of looking further into the incel thingy last night and it appears they've been banned from reddit since November - they have repeatedly worshipped that Elliot Rodger clown and called for violence against women, but according to a few stories I saw this is the kind of thing that put them over the edge (apparently posted by an incel regular on a legal advise type subreddit forum).

tijmvjoud9uz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that is pretty scary alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The incel community forum on reddit was shut down a few weeks back. It was quite a cess pool.

But this exists. A reddit where they take the piss out of incels.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IncelTears/

• Advertisement

Their avatars include ted bundy and nazi's. So pretty middle of the road stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Any pity I might have for them evaporates when I see a thread like this…

https://incels.me/threads/caught-this-fat-bitch-swiping-left-on-tinder-video.37970/#post-664926

Agree, when people get in that deep, its impossible to have sympathy for them.

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Incels??? WTF? some sad ass mofos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Grayson wrote: »
    Their avatars include ted bundy and nazi's. So pretty middle of the road stuff.
    The aforementioned Rogers and lots of Anime too. Will have a proper gander later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The generally perceived media bias is brown skin = terrorist, white skin = mentally ill. I'm not really sure that's changed all that much.

No the loony line has been used for a lot of the immigrant/refugee nutjobs that have done lone wolfe attacks in Europe as well.
    I guess you have to somewhat nutty to believe you are going to a place that offers you 70 virgins. :rolleyes:
    PUA = pick up artist
    Incel = Involuntary Celibate

Ahh what.
    Why does there now have to be some term or category for everyone.
    And feck it with the acronyms, it is bad enough in IT.

I blame the Chicago Magazine and Dan Rottenberg when he printed about Yuppies. He started the ball rolling on this cr**.
    wes wrote: »
    PUA = "Pick Up Artist". Incel = "Involuntary Celibate". Red Pill is based on the Matrix movies, where Morpheus offers Neo the Red and blue pill, you will see that term used in the PUA and Alt Right communities.

As I said not all are Alt Right, just that there cross over between the 2 groups. Alt Right types like to target the vulnerable, and these guys fit the bill.

Plenty of these guys are also apolitical from what I can tell. I am just pointing out that toxic online sub cultures cross over, with some people being drawn into much worse place as well.

Ah jaysus when you start using terms from movies like the Matrix you really have reached the downhill section in society.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Also appears to be a 4Chan incel so there's a good chance that only a few days back he might have been brigading other web forums about the shooting in Tennessee, eagerly hoping it was a Muslim on that occasion as we all know 4Channers love to do.........

I take it your not talking about Channel 4 offshoot like More4 ?
    These red-pill, mysoginistic self proclaimed incels are as much terrorists as the Isis supporters who drive cars into crowds.

Well they do have the old misogyny in common.
    Maybe they could get together and do everyone a favour ?

Is it really the case this guy went off the deep end because he couldn't get a shag ?
    No matter what some of you say he deserves to be shot for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

jmayo wrote: »
    No matter what some of you say he deserves to be shot for that.

And in doing that you'd be giving him exactly what he wants. I'd rather deprive him of the luxury of a quick death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

And in doing that you'd be giving him exactly what he wants. I'd rather deprive him of the luxury of a quick death.

This. If this low-life had been killed, he'd be glorified as a martyr by similar Internet creeps. Now he'll have to live out his sad life behind bars where everything will be involuntary.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

jooksavage wrote: »
    This. If this low-life had been killed, he'd be glorified as a martyr by similar Internet creeps. Now he'll have to live out his sad life behind bars where everything will be involuntary.

In cell, you could say.

I'll get my coat...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Riiiiight so anyone who is into mens rights is a potential terrorist ?

You are talking about that red pill movie yeah ?

Christ......
    Yeah, that shít's crazy, imagine lumping all those disparate groups into a solid, unified group and being suspicious of them all based on the actions of a tiny, tiny amount of extremists…

But Muslims are a different thing altogether, they are all potential terrorists!!!
    Glad I rent into this thread just for this gold comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, maybe the cop could have said a witty one-liner as he shot the guy in the face. Something like 'Can't get laid? Well screw you…' then BLAM!!! Straight through his forehead. Totally awesome.

Back in reality-land, I'm glad to see that the arsehole didn't get the suicide by cop ending he craved and instead gets to rot in a jail cell. Maybe getting the chance to psychologically profile him will give police authorities help in combating what could be growing threat in the future.

The cop is a hero in my eyes.

Ah, but if he's dead then the terrorist can't drop any chest-thumping, chode-stroking clangers like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

So basically from reading this some lunatic who couldn't get laid decided to mow down a bunch of pedestrians in revenge? There is some sick sad people out there, if he devoted half as much time to his a-game instead of message boards I'm sure he could have managed it. The funny thing is I think boards here is full of incel's as they are described.

Doltanian wrote: »
    So basically from reading this some lunatic who couldn't get laid decided to mow down a bunch of pedestrians in revenge? There is some sick sad people out there, if he devoted half as much time to his a-game instead of message boards I'm sure he could have managed it. The funny thing is I think boards here is full of incel's as they are described.

This is a parody account, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

The Louise O'Neill thread seems to attract them all to one place at least.

Greyling wrote: »
    The Louise O'Neill thread seems to attract them all to one place at least.

The sad thing is I know one or two "incels" and they have such a chip on their should and bad attitude against women it is unbelievable. The only way they will ever get with a woman is if they're paying. Whinging and moaning constantly and jealousy of lads who are successful.

We've definitely seen remarkably similar threads made to what incels seem to be on boards, blaming the entire world that they're "not good looking enough" for women to care about while typically displaying a complete lack of self confidence, but often point blank refusing to take any constructive advice on how to improve their luck with women and showing a mindset that views women as one hive mind with no interest in anything but what a guy looks like.

Thankfully I don't recall seeing any go completely off the deep end in terms of advocating violence or sexual assault against women because of this perceived mindset, though.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    We've definitely seen remarkably similar threads made to what incels seem to be on boards, blaming the entire world that they're "not good looking enough" for women to care about while typically displaying a complete lack of self confidence, but often point blank refusing to take any constructive advice on how to improve their luck with women and showing a mindset that views women as one hive mind with no interest in anything but what a guy looks like.

There's a lot of crossover with the menninist groups who are all about mens rights and the red pill guys. There's a huge focus on women and how they are putting down men. they are all extremely anti feminist and there's a lof of crossover in the language they use. Cucks, Beta's etc Most of these groups also evolved from 4chan.

There's an interesting little article about the different groups.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/30/elliot-rodger-puahate-forever-alone-reddit-forums

There's an interesting little article about the different groups.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/30/elliot-rodger-puahate-forever-alone-reddit-forums

To add to that an interesting thread from a journalist in Toronto, who was already working on a story about these guys, before the attack:

https://twitter.com/ArshyMann/status/988818797086871558

Being anti-Feminist is very different to being a misogynist.

Being anti-Feminist is very different to being a misogynist.

True but a lot of the anti feminists have the same victim complex that these guys have. they think women are oppressing them in some way and feminism is oppressing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

True but a lot of the anti feminists have the same victim complex that these guys have. they think women are oppressing them in some way and feminism is oppressing them.

No, the incels are much worse. They feel like women owe them sex and not giving them sex is being cruel and against the natural order.

A link from a twitter thread I posted above:

Incels hail Toronto van driver who killed 10 as a new Elliot Rodger, talk of future acid attacks and mass rapes [UPDATED]

Some of the posts from the earlier linked incels.me site is really ****ed up. The article goes through some of it. It imo pretty clear that this attack is terrorism. There is an ideology behind the whole thing and its pretty messed up. These guys really need help before they get to this stage.

I regard myself as an Anti-Feminst, women are not oppressing anyone, feminists are not so much pro-female nowadays as anti-male. I have big issues with fathers access rights to their children, divorce law etc. A mans role is as a provider and alot of men feel threatened by this as women gain more financial independence they are more choosey in their partners. Wheras in third world countries men retain their cavemen bring home the bacon status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I regard myself as an Anti-Feminst, women are not oppressing anyone, feminists are not so much pro-female nowadays as anti-male. I have big issues with fathers access rights to their children, divorce law etc. A mans role is as a provider and alot of men feel threatened by this as women gain more financial independence they are more choosey in their partners. Wheras in third world countries men retain their cavemen bring home the bacon status.

you seem to think that the part in bold is a bad thing? am i right?

Simple solution: move to the third world. You can have a great time being a caveman there.

• Advertisement

you seem to think that the part in bold is a bad thing? am i right?

not really I've had enough experiences with gold-digging women to welcome a woman who says lets split the bill. As someone who is financially secure I do find the whole concept of marriage a dangerous proposition in a country which does not acknowledge pre-nuptial agreements and has the legal system stacked against men. e.g. A friend of mine discovered his wife cheating on him, they got divorced, he had to pay his ex-wife half the value of his family home at peak boom prices, he had to borrow the money as he didn't have it going €250k into debt to keep his family home and he had done absolutely nothing wrong. Where is the fairness in that?

Advertisement