Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Civic 1.8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are 10 year old cars, that's the sort of mileage to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They’ll do 300k no bother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

colm_mcm wrote: »

Good to hear.

Here is my thing.

Currently have a 2006 523i automatic.

Would get maybe 3500 for it.
    And buy the Honda for 3000.

Might have to spend a couple hundred on Honda maybe.

But then savings of 500 each year on motor tax alone. just really hate paying tax.

Then mpg. Currently getting about 22 mpg. Honda may be 40. So another saving.
    Parts on the beemer are dear enough. Electric water pump versus pulley one etc. Brake lines recently cost me 200. Battery is going on it now.

All small but all adds up.

What ye think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What ye think ?

I think you're fooling yourself that you'd get 3500 for that 523i...

• Advertisement

Cannot see you getting 3.5k for a 06 523i to be honest.

grogi wrote: »
    I think you're fooling yourself that you'd get 3500 for that 523i...

Ok. 5000 then ;)

Right, so you reckon I’d be doing very well to get near 3500. noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

colm_mcm wrote: »

Is the 1.8 in the civic the same as the 1.8 in the FRV? Also, I remember there was a post before that said the auto box in the FRV was better than the one in the Civic? Or maybe its the other way around.

ray o wrote: »
    Is the 1.8 in the civic the same as the 1.8 in the FRV? Also, I remember there was a post before that said the auto box in the FRV was better than the one in the Civic? Or maybe its the other way around.

Hi. What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

I have an 06 1.8 civic auto 4 years now, and in the main they are bulletproof.
    I am getting around 40 mpg on average.
    Keep an eye when your looking on the suspension and top mounts etc as the ride is quite firm.

Mick

• Advertisement

He’s saying the FRV and the Civic 1.8 saloon use a conventional torque converter gearbox and the hatchback uses a robotised manual box.

mickser42 wrote: »
    I have an 06 1.8 civic auto 4 years now, and in the main they are bulletproof.
    I am getting around 40 mpg on average.
    Keep an eye when your looking on the suspension and top mounts etc as the ride is quite firm.

Mick

Thanks mick. Good mpg. Is yours the hatchback ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I had a 2008 Civic Type S 1.8 petrol and it was pretty bulletproof. Only issues I had was the panoramic sun roof and the blinds for the roof had a habit of sticking and flying open very fast. Known issue on the civic forums but the car you linked are standard sun roofs

All in all, great car and I liked the 1.8 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

yes the new shape hatchback

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Hi. What are you trying to say?

Apologies....My post was completely unrelated to your query and probably should have been put into a separate thread.

Here is my thing.

Currently have a 2006 523i automatic.

Would get maybe 3500 for it.
    And buy the Honda for 3000.

Might have to spend a couple hundred on Honda maybe.

But then savings of 500 each year on motor tax alone. just really hate paying tax.

Then mpg. Currently getting about 22 mpg. Honda may be 40. So another saving.
    Parts on the beemer are dear enough. Electric water pump versus pulley one etc. Brake lines recently cost me 200. Battery is going on it now.

All small but all adds up.

What ye think ?

Any bumpy thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'd say like others have said that you'll be very lucky to get anywhere even near €3k for your 523i however there are plenty of 1.8 Civics about and you should be able to pick up one for around the €3k mark and like you say you'll make considerable savings in tax, fuel and possibly insurance every year you have it.

I'd say like others have said that you'll be very lucky to get anywhere even near €3k for your 523i however there are plenty of 1.8 Civics about and you should be able to pick up one for around the €3k mark and like you say you'll make considerable savings in tax, fuel and possibly insurance every year you have it.

Thanks!

WHAT, my beloved 523i vessel is not worth even 3k, thoroughly disappointing :( :P

Im kinda messin - but serious too, but yeah, suppose no one wants a 12 year old car with high tax etc.

The honda should be an ok thing to drive though? like wont be totally dead etc, like a 1.4 focus or corolla etc

They have 140bhp so while not fast they are no snail either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Another 8th Gen Civic 1.8 owner, done 20k kms in the last 12 months, averages 45mpg no problem for me, no mechanical issues, although I am planning a suspension refresh soon.

I have heard the automatics until the facelift in 2009/2010 are a bit ****e though. They're called iShift gearboxes for information.

• Advertisement

Another 8th Gen Civic 1.8 owner, done 20k kms in the last 12 months, averages 45mpg no problem for me, no mechanical issues, although I am planning a suspension refresh soon.

I have heard the automatics until the facelift in 2009/2010 are a bit ****e though. They're called iShift gearboxes for information.

Thanks, woo - 45 mpg, thats great for a 1.8 petrol auto.

im purely on about the Saloon though. And this has the older type traditional auto gearbox, think general slang name for them is slush box. i.e its not the iShift at all

also, think the saloons have a different suspension setup and are not as stiff.

His is a manual hatchback.

The manual saloon is a little bit harder on fuel than the manual hatch, the i shift doesn’t affect economy on the hatch, and the auto on the saloon is a little harder on fuel than the manual because of different gearing, less gears and transmission losses.

You are right about suspension, the saloon has independent rear suspension and is more settled and a little more comfortable but still relatively stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Does it have to be automatic? Honda do manual better tbh.

Also while these do have 140bhp they are set up for economy rather than performance. In everyday driving they don't feel all that more powerful than a corolla(if you.are looking for a vtec kick look elsewhere) but they are definitely a lot better than a 1.4 focus which isn't difficult tbh.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Also while these do have 140bhp they are set up for economy rather than performance. In everyday driving they don't feel all that more powerful than a corolla(if you.are looking for a vtec kick look elsewhere) but they are definitely a lot better than a 1.4 focus which isn't difficult tbh.

I have just got used to the auto now and love the handiness, just nice

Oh I don’t know at all. I’m still in 2 minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I've an 07 1.8 hatch auto. As said, it's a different auto box but still a decent car that i'd highly recommend. While it's not a "fast" car it's perfectly competent and will cruise @ 130-140kmh happily enough and still give you the guts it 40mpg while doing that too.

There's an awful lot of 8th gen Civic owners on here and you don't really see any of them saying a bad word about anything.

I've an 07 1.8 hatch auto. As said, it's a different auto box but still a decent car that i'd highly recommend. While it's not a "fast" car it's perfectly competent and will cruise @ 130-140kmh happily enough and still give you the guts it 40mpg while doing that too.

There's an awful lot of 8th gen Civic owners on here and you don't really see any of them saying a bad word about anything.

Good to hear. Thanks for input.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

I'm sorry but either the car you drove had something wrong with it or the corolla was T-Sport or something because the 1.8 civic is considerably faster than even the 1.6 Corolla/Auris and a helluva lot faster than the 1.4 Auris/Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I'm sorry but either the car you drove had something wrong with it or the corolla was T-Sport or something because the 1.8 civic is considerably faster than even the 1.6 Corolla/Auris and a helluva lot faster than the 1.4 Auris/Corolla.

No there is nothing wrong with either car. In every day driving the civic doesn't feel much faster than the corolla, even on hills or overtaking. Racing them side by side would show that the civic is faster but in every day driving there isn't much between them.

I know on paper the civic is the faster car but in reality it's no rocket ship and the I vtec is setup for economy rather than performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Around town I'll admit it feels a bit 1.4 ish but out on the motorway it feels at lot more civilised than a 1.4 corolla. Iirc at 120kmh it's only doing 2250 rpm and still pulls away well without dropping a gear?

Advertisement