Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Civic 1.8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Around town I'll admit it feels a bit 1.4 ish but out on the motorway it feels at lot more civilised than a 1.4 corolla. Iirc at 120kmh it's only doing 2250 rpm and still pulls away well without dropping a gear?

I found the 6th gear to be very close to 5th in terms of ratio so not as big of a plus on the motorway as you might thing but still nice to have.

The 1.8 in these just doesn't feel punchy in a way say the 1.8 in a mazda 6 does.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have to disagree re the Mazda6. I don’t know what way ye’re driving at all.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have to disagree re the Mazda6. I don’t know what way ye’re driving at all.

I don't know I find the mk1 6 to be a lot livelier tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Does the 1.8 civic have ‘low end torque’ at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    No there is nothing wrong with either car. In every day driving the civic doesn't feel much faster than the corolla, even on hills or overtaking. Racing them side by side would show that the civic is faster but in every day driving there isn't much between them.

I know on paper the civic is the faster car but in reality it's no rocket ship and the I vtec is setup for economy rather than performance.

If it's faster on paper, it's faster in real life as well.

I'm guessing you hesitate to rev it to red line, which is really the only way to wake all the horses in vtec engines. Then it's fast enough IMO.

If everyday driving for you is normally between 1500-2500rpm, then definitely you'll consider any vtec engine as slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Have a 2007 1.8 hatch. Very lively car when you put the foot down. Highest mpg I ever saw was 47 average on a 450km round trip. Every day driving is around 38 for me

CiniO wrote: »
    If it's faster on paper, it's faster in real life as well.

I'm guessing you hesitate to rev it to red line, which is really the only way to wake all the horses in vtec engines. Then it's fast enough IMO.

If everyday driving for you is normally between 1500-2500rpm, then definitely you'll consider any vtec engine as slow.
    Why would I rev it to the redline? There is no vtec kick on these when you go past a certain rpm like a type r or a 1.6 or 1.8 dohc vtec. The vtec is purely for economy not performance.

Never said it wasn't faster either just that it doesn't feel much faster. We know in a race it will win but in everyday driving conditions it doesn't feel that much better to me.

If I get into a mazda 6 I immediately know im in something more powerful than a 1.4 corolla. Not that the 6 is a rocketship and I know its also less powerful than a civic but it's lively even in everyday driving without going near the redline.

Why would I rev it to the redline? There is no vtec kick on these when you go past a certain rpm like a type r or a 1.6 or 1.8 dohc vtec. The vtec is purely for economy not performance.

There is a kick, but obviously not as noticable as on more powerful engines.
    But vtec is both for economy and performance.
    Economy - as you can keep revs low and be gentle with accelerator pedal and you'll get economy, or you can step it to the floor and rev it high, and you'll get performance. Simple really.
    Never said it wasn't faster either just that it doesn't feel much faster. We know in a race it will win but in everyday driving conditions it doesn't feel that much better to me.
    That's exactly my point. You consider "everyday driving condition" as driving at low revs. No everyone does.
    And vtec engines have poor performance and good economy at low revs.
    Once you start reving them high, you'll get performance, and loose economy.

If I get into a mazda 6 I immediately know im in something more powerful than a 1.4 corolla. Not that the 6 is a rocketship and I know its also less powerful than a civic but it's lively even in everyday driving without going near the redline.

Because it provides better performace at low revs, at the cost of economy.

Simply speaking - you're trying to say that cars which don't provide good performace at low revs, don't feel powerful in everyday driving. That's just because for some reason you don't like revving engine high in everyday driving.

I'm saying that there are many cars that provide brilliant performance, but need to be revved high to achieve that (espiecially vtec), and for me it's not a problem at all to be revving them high in everyday driving.

It's just we have different approach. Your driving style is better suited for diesels in general, while mine is better suited for vtecs.
    For the same reason you think 1.4 golf is completely not suitable for towing, as when you're towing at 2000rpm it indeed isn't.
    If I use it and tow at 5000rpm, it will have more than enought power to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Thanks for input.
    Very hard for me to get 30's in the beemer, always in mid to low 20's.
    And I dont do an awful lot of city driving.

re parts, had to replace the water pump on the beemer lately, cost about 600 euro for the part alone, its electric etc. comparable part on the Honda looks like about 50 Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Does the 1.8 civic have ‘low end torque’ at all ?

In my opinion no, you have to work it to get the most out of it.

I think what JohnBoy is trying to say is that because of the i-vtec system it's quite gutless under 3k. After that they can certainly move though.

In my opinion no, you have to work it to get the most out of it.

I think what JohnBoy is trying to say is that because of the i-vtec system it's quite gutless under 3k. After that they can certainly move though.

That's it exactly but while it can move in the higher rev range it doesn't change cam profile like the performance vtecs so no kick and different exhaust note because it's a different type of vtec.

Just like the 1.5 eco vtec from the 1990's wasn't about performance either. Even though it did have 114bhp it didn't feel any faster than the regular 1.4 unless you had the 2 cars side by side and you floored it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting it’s a ‘VTEC just kicked in yo’ type of car but that’s not to say it’s slow.

What a really positive ad, fills me with confidence

"The car seems to drive very well and everything seems to do what it should "

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-2008-nct-07-19/18743135

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

They seem to be being very cautious with the ad wording. I'd say it's probably fine though if you are actually considering it, it's a good spec, looks nice and original and the new NCT is reassuring.

It'd be hard to go too far wrong if you landed it for €2750ish.

"trade sale - sold as seen"
    This fills you with confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

"trade sale - sold as seen"
    This fills you with confidence?

bring your own mechanic and check the car over. They just want rid of it and with the fairly high mileage theyre not willing to offer any warranty. Theyre a reliable car and I wouldn't worry too much about the 'sold as seen' line, it'll actually give you ammunition to make a low ball offer for the car (so long as everything else checks out)

bring your own mechanic and check the car over. They just want rid of it and with the fairly high mileage theyre not willing to offer any warranty. Theyre a reliable car and I wouldn't worry too much about the 'sold as seen' line, it'll actually give you ammunition to make a low ball offer for the car (so long as everything else checks out)

anything major have to be done on these cars around 10 years.

change automatic transmission fluid, replace water pump etc

anything major have to be done on these cars around 10 years.

change automatic transmission fluid, replace water pump etc

They are pretty trouble free. However it's no harm to replace fluids but a well looked after example should be maintained in that regard.

so it should keep going grand for another few years

• Advertisement

so it should keep going grand for another few years

Well they are a very reliable car but if you are in doubt you could get the basic service items replaced like the oil and filters. If you plan on changing the gearbox oil make sure you replace it with the genuine oil from honda.

For the engine any oil that meets the spec will do.

Well they are a very reliable car but if you are in doubt you could get the basic service items replaced like the oil and filters. If you plan on changing the gearbox oil make sure you replace it with the genuine oil from honda.

For the engine any oil that meets the spec will do.

Thanks.

Anybody else on here own this exact type of car.

Petrol 1.8 Saloon automatic

grogi wrote: »
    I think you're fooling yourself that you'd get 3500 for that 523i...

What do ye think the 523i is worth ?

Thanks.

Anybody else on here own this exact type of car.

Petrol 1.8 Saloon automatic

Bump

Anyone any more thoughts on this car?

227,000 km on it. A lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It looks honest. If you buy it for between €2500-2750 you'll be getting a very good deal and if you make any effort to maintain it you could put that mileage again on it pretty comfortably.

It looks honest. If you buy it for between €2500-2750 you'll be getting a very good deal and if you make any effort to maintain it you could put that mileage again on it pretty comfortably.

Thanks. When you say honest, do you mean it just looks in ok nick etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you know that car is being sold as a trade sale?

What does that mean?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, you know that car is being sold as a trade sale?

didnt know that
    but, as cinio says, what does that mean in lehmans terms

Advertisement