Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Civic 1.8

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It means they’re telling you in advance that they won’t stand over it if it goes wrong. I’d much prefer a private sale where you gauge the car from the seller and not in a situation where the salesman is more experienced at selling than you are at buying.

Good example. When I bought my civic I bought it from the woman who had it for 4 years and was able to tell me about what maintenance was done when I asked. I knew from her demeanour and her house that she was the type of person you’d want to have owned the car.

A seasoned salesperson will have heard all the hard questions daily for years and will have mastered the art of deflecting your concerns. When they know they’re not giving any sort of warranty there’s no incentive to be honest with you. They’re not gonna say “look I just bought this on Merlin auction for €750 and I’m gonna flip it and make a handy €1250 profit out of this. I don’t know anything about the car never mind care”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It means they’re telling you in advance that they won’t stand over it if it goes wrong. I’d much prefer a private sale where you gauge the car from the seller and not in a situation where the salesman is more experienced at selling than you are at buying.

Good example. When I bought my civic I bought it from the woman who had it for 4 years and was able to tell me about what maintenance was done when I asked. I knew from her demeanour and her house that she was the type of person you’d want to have owned the car.

oh ok, so could be a lemon and more a less stay away ? (for a private buyer)

It could be a great car. That’s the chance you take. Trade sale doesn't automatically mean the garage knows it’s gonna be trouble, just that they won’t entertain any moaning if there’s an issue.

My point is it’s harder to tell what the car is really like when dealing with a garage. If they’re not giving any comeback then why not just buy privately?

The other side of it is that the country is hardly awash with used automatic saloon civics so your options might be limited. Treat it as a private sale, do your homework and bring someone who can give it the once over

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wonder how much they gave the previous owner for it.

It could be a great car. That’s the chance you take. Trade sale doesn't automatically mean the garage knows it’s gonna be trouble, just that they won’t entertain any moaning if there’s an issue.

My point is it’s harder to tell what the car is really like when dealing with a garage. If they’re not giving any comeback then why not just buy privately?

The other side of it is that the country is hardly awash with used automatic saloon civics so your options might be limited. Treat it as a private sale, do your homework and bring someone who can give it the once over

Yeah. I mailed the dealer and his replies are more a less that he would rather not sell me the car. Yeah, this is the thing, I haven’t got a great choice of cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah. I mailed the dealer and his replies are more a less that he would rather not sell me the car. Yeah, this is the thing, I haven’t got a great choice of cars

Can you elaborate on that? Are you saying he has more or less said there is something wrong with the car and would prefer to sell it to someone who knows what they're doing and would be in a position to fix it themselves?

Most likely they just don't want the agro of selling a trade sale to joe public and it coming back to bite them. Trade sale by definition usually is a sale between dealers in the motor traders who know what they are at, not to joe public.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Most likely they just don't want the agro of selling a trade sale to joe public and it coming back to bite them. Trade sale by definition usually is a sale between dealers in the motor traders who know what they are at, not to joe public.

I’d say the OP was asking too many questions. That’s a retail price they’re asking.
    They’ll wait for some fool who will just buy it without doing any due dil.

Was thinking 3k was very strong money given it's a trade sale alright, doubt they bought it for anywhere near that. The "trade sale, sold as seen" bit in the advert is never a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Was thinking 3k was very strong money given it's a trade sale alright, doubt they bought it for anywhere near that. The "trade sale, sold as seen" bit in the advert is never a good sign.

Exactly. While there might be no issues with the car you'd have to wonder why the have put that in the ad. If the car was cheap it would be more understandable but it's not cheap considering these aren't going for big money these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

They’ll do 300k no bother

Had one of them. Uninspiring but reliable as hell. Never cost me anything.

The 1.8 is relatively expensive to tax though if I remember.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Had one of them. Uninspiring but reliable as hell. Never cost me anything.

The 1.8 is relatively expensive to tax though if I remember.

On the saloon and on the 3dr it's €570 on the co2 rates. On the 5dr it's €390 on the co2 rates. This is for the manual. Not sure about the auto.

On the cc rates all are €636.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,294 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Had the saloon

Can you elaborate on that? Are you saying he has more or less said there is something wrong with the car and would prefer to sell it to someone who knows what they're doing and would be in a position to fix it themselves?

no, he didn't say specifically that anything waswrong with the car.
    i just asked him a couple of basic q's , how many services stamped in book, does car have Bluetooth etc.

He said car had no service book and then that this pretty normal for an irish car, asked him was car running ok, said it seems to be , but need to examine myself no guarantee or warranty and then that he generally gets non Dublin based dealers replying to these type ads. weird thing to tell me, but whatever.

more a less did nothing to try and sell the car or make it sound any way decent.
    Essentially, the opposite of a sales man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

more a less did nothing to try and sell the car or make it sound any way decent.
    Essentially, the opposite of a sales man.

When a salesman acts like a salesman, it's wrong. He is pushing, seems dishonest etc... But when salesman doesn't act like a salesman, it's wrong too...

:confused:

grogi wrote: »
    When a salesman acts like a salesman, it's wrong. He is pushing, seems dishonest etc... But when salesman doesn't act like a salesman, it's wrong too...

not saying anything is wrong.
    every dealings ive had with car saleman, they have tried to sell me a car, make it sound ok, this lad just had no interest at all in selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just to piggyback somewhat, what are the differences between a Civic Hybrid & a Honda Insight of the same vintage?

Inviere wrote: »
    Just to piggyback somewhat, what are the differences between a Civic Hybrid & a Honda Insight of the same vintage?

Mechanically they’re the same basic thing. The Civic is more conventional in that it’s pretty much a regular Civic with a hybrid system. The Insight is a hybrid only model.
    In my opinion the Insight is like a cut price Mk2 Prius, it’s styled to look like an obvious hybrid, but in my opinion it feels flimsy compared to the Civic.

grogi wrote: »

Ad is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Probably sold. At face value it looked like an ok car for ok money.

• Advertisement

It’s not the same one again is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

wasn't the other one a gold/brown coloured car?

Don’t think so. Both were ads on done deal a few days ago and have been for a while.

Price is a bit strong in my opinion considering it has more mileage, but I think it’s worth a look, and if the seller is the owner then that’s worth a lot. You’ve more chance of knocking a chunk of money off with a private seller because they’re making a loss on what they bought it for years ago anyway!

That car is due it's NCT on 2/7/18. Seller is dreaming if they think they will get anywhere near 3.5k with practically no test and that mileage.

That car is due it's NCT on 2/7/18. Seller is dreaming if they think they will get anywhere near 3.5k with practically no test and that mileage.

What’s a realistic price. 2500

Talk to him and see what the plan is re NCT, You should ideally be buying with test.

Anyone any more thoughts on this car?

227,000 km on it. A lot.

and around we go, car gone and now a new ad up again with same car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-auto/18882312

probably bought it from the trade sale lad for 2300 and now looking to make a few hundred quid.

• Advertisement

and around we go, car gone and now a new ad up again with same car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-auto/18882312

probably bought it from the trade sale lad for 2300 and now looking to make a few hundred quid.

Still it's €800 cheaper than it was and has a new test.

Advertisement