Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Civic 1.8

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Still it's €800 cheaper than it was and has a new test.

previous seller had it up for 2995, now its 2695. so 300

i think the last one had the test too, remember seeing the NCT docs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

previous seller had it up for 2995, now its 2695. so 300

i think the last one had the test too, remember seeing the NCT docs

Sorry I had nixed it up with the last one you posted for €3500

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

and around we go, car gone and now a new ad up again with same car

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-auto/18882312

probably bought it from the trade sale lad for 2300 and now looking to make a few hundred quid.

More likely it hadn’t changed hands at all.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    More likely it hadn’t changed hands at all.

Yeah. Wonder is it worth a look. Or should I just stay clear with all the messing going on, suspicious etc.

I would avoid it like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is more to that car than meets the eye.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is more to that car than meets the eye.

How do you mean? Just pure dodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car originally advertised as trade sale/sold as seen. You enquire, ask questions and they get the impression they don't want to sell it to you. Then the ad is taken down and a few days later it pops up as a private sale.

Honestly how many more red flags does one need?

More red flags than a bullfighting convention.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That car is due it's NCT on 2/7/18. Seller is dreaming if they think they will get anywhere near 3.5k with practically no test and that mileage.

Mmm. It’s dropped to 2900.
    I know car is 10 years old. But is a car with 163,000 miles just waiting for things to go wrong even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Mmm. It’s dropped to 2900.
    I know car is 10 years old. But is a car with 163,000 miles just waiting for things to go wrong even more so.
    It will be 11 years old by the time you make a decision tbf..(I've bought two cars since you started the thread)
    ;0)

bidiots wrote: »
    It will be 11 years old by the time you make a decision tbf..(I've bought two cars since you started the thread)
    ;0)

Whats your address?

......I need to post you a medal :)

Yes, I know im over thinking etc Just want to be sure on spending dosh.

But is the 163,000 MILES a lot and things just start failing around this kind of mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think you're thinking too hard. Go view it, if it drives ok, buy it. There can be unknown issues with any second hand car no matter how well it's looked after or how deep you scrutinise it.

Sure it's been bounced around through the trade and there's no documented history but it is a semi obscure car.

At the same time if it's a high miler they are oftern more likely to have been easier miles, 160 motorway miles could be much easier on the car than 60 stop/ start miles. It also wouldn't have made it to this mileage if it hasn't been serviced to some degree. If the engine sounds nice and quiet and the oil is a good colour the engine is likely fine. Same with the gearbox take the car on a long drive, town and motorway, if it's changing gear fine it probably is fine.

If it's in reasonable health there's no reason why it won't last indefinitely longer.

If you buy it and the gearbox craps itself in 3 months time, the trader probably didn't know there was an issue and the same thing could happen to a one owner full history car. There is a huge element of luck in "older" car buying. Thats the risk you are taking with one of these regardless of mileage or history, if it happens you'll always be on your own.

Advertisement