Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Avicii (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Genuinely saddened by his passing. Big fan of his music.

I've heard him described as a "mad scientist" when he was making his music.

May he rest in peace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was very shocked to see this legend die yesterday.

I am a young songwriter who has wrote many songs and though you all here don't know of it, my most popular of those songs is 'Never Give Up' which I wrote to inspire those on the verge of committing suicide or just need some motivation to live their dreams. Life is short and can be cut even shorter so why not go and enjoy it? What has this got to do with Avicii? Remember Avicii's 2014 song 'The Nights'? That was the song that inspired the whole premise for my song 'Never Give Up'. If it weren't for this song and him, I wouldn't have wrote my song which people in my school, family etc know me well for now. It gained more than 250 likes on my Facebook within a few hours which for a bad singer and young songwriter like myself with little to no advertising I think is not bad. I even have this top commemorating my song (please excuse me in it :D):

S9HsS3p.jpg

We all have our own inspirations for something and Avicii was my inspiration. Rest in pieces you freaking awesome man. Thanks to you, I am living a life I will remember! I really cannot put down in words how saddening this news got me last night. :(

You make me! Bro

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

He had the rare quality of understanding melody & creating the "earworm" - that musical phrase that sticks in your head. He used lyrics that inspire. especially with young people. The fact that so many superstars were queuing up to work with him is testimony to his talent.

On a different note why does social & fun mean being disrespectful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I see on wiki the drink had a huge effect on his health.
    Did he ever speak about it or discuss the problems with the media / fans?

I was aware of him, but never listened to him, although it's hard not to be familiar with the songs when you hear them.

Always sad when a hero / legend / icon to so many passes away, especially so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Such a huge talent. I wouldn't follow EDM scene so I knew his songs before I knew his name. I mostly listen to dance music when working out. He had some quality tunes. I found his work inspired and uplifting.

RIP Avicii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Although many of his songs were happy-go-lucky, catchy tunes the lyrics “one day you’ll leave this world behind, so live a life you will remember” are poignant for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I found this version of Wake Me Up to be very emotional. It is from Gareth Malone's version of the single from the BBC Children In Need from 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I see on wiki the drink had a huge effect on his health.
    Did he ever speak about it or discuss the problems with the media / fans?

I was aware of him, but never listened to him, although it's hard not to be familiar with the songs when you hear them.

Always sad when a hero / legend / icon to so many passes away, especially so young.

There are interviews with him where he basically talks about the overwhelming peer pressure of working in Ibiza as a superstar - the constant afterparties, the "sure who needs sleep, we're still young" kind of lifestyle - we've all lived it at some point in our lives, but from his interviews it seems that if you're an Ibiza superstar on that performance circuit, it's not just a treat at the end of a long week or a special occasion, it's literally every single night, and the Fear Of Missing Out syndrome reigns supreme especially in the era of snapchat and instagram, where if you decide to go home early, you literally see whatever craic you decided to skip when you wake up the next morning.

Obviously some people are able to manage themselves in that environment but it's understandable that many can't - particularly if they're so young when it starts for them. Again I'd put it to ye that if you think back to being 18 or 19, for a lot of people the only thing which prevented someone from taking the party hard lifestyle too far was a lack of disposable income. I for one shudder to think what I might have turned into if I'd had enough cash in hand to go out on the piss every single night during my first few years out of school - you don't have any sense of "when it stops being fun, take a break" at that age, it's all about pushing yourself to the absolute limit.

In Avicii's case, he also didn't particularly like the fame / spotlight aspect of it, and talked regularly about how it made it uncomfortable that he would be recognised everywhere and so on. I'd imagine that this would only add to a person's fledging substance abuse situation if they were under constant stress in that way.

This article does a decent job of summing up Avicii's relationship with the Ibiza superstar lifestyle he found himself plonked into:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/20/avicii-appreciation-the-poster-boy-for-edm-who-struggled-with-the-spotlight

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The night video and the words of the song, just makes me feel really sad today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Just seen it on boards breaking heart news, fair enough some people might not knew or seen the person but most heard his music, that talent from age 20 to making quarter mill for a gig, most people never reach that much in their lives, he did it in less then decade, and left massive influence in music culture.

SO RIP AVICII

ps, keep speculations out no point in guessing or going trough crap talks when person is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Slydice wrote: »
    Jeez so young :(

Cheers.

I genuinely didn't know who he was, but I know that song from the radio or coming from my daughters bedroom.

As regards people who post 'Who?', stick around the thread and you might find out instead of being an ass about it.

But these kind of threads always attract these people along with a few grief junkies.

Seem's like an interesting guy (from reading this thread), and at 28 damn he's hardly entered manhood and then to be taken.

Sorry for you loss guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

dmc17 wrote: »
    If you have a good sound system (and no neighbours), turn this one up

First time i've seen that video :D It's vaguely similar to the video for "I could be the one" in that there's an office worker going nuts.

zetalambda wrote: »
    First time i've seen that video :D It's vaguely similar to the video for "I could be the one" in that there's an office worker going nuts.

All, or almost all Avicii videos have one or two random spoken word segments thrown in - specifically to make people less likely to just rip the music for free from YouTube instead of buying the download. Pretty clever move, always surprised more artists didn't follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

no.8 wrote: »
    No offence but you have no credible information to back this so it's just absolute speculation wrt the last moments of someone's life.

well as I started the statement with 'have a feeling' would have thought it was obvious I was speculating, no?

The fact that he was well aware of the issue with his pancreas and had been taken steps to address it, and could afford the best treatment available, makes me sort of doubt it's that, but I could be wrong. I would assume he had been checked for pancreatic cancer if he already had issues there and doubt if he had it so advanced he was just staying in a hotel not getting treatment.

It's very highly unlikely to be natural/physical illness causes IMO, and it's a shame when someone so talented who has made so many people happy goes so young, even though I don't like that kind of music.

The record industry should have a specific independent organization that provides support to artists and the unique set of risk factors they face. Being young, rich famous and having a ridiculous schedule, frequent travel and access to all the drugs and alcohol you want and being expected/encouraged to partake all the time would be a lot to navigate. You think it's living the dream before you get to that point, and then if that doesn't make you happy where do you go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not a fan of electronic music but I’d say those of you who are pretending to not know who he was were positively creaming yourselves over this from a while back

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6__HssHW8

Early 40’s here and am so not with it that I make Grandpa Simpson look clued in but I’d at least heard of the lad.

You're right. I had no idea but I've heard that loads. I wouldn't even know what that was called.

To be fair though I don't listen to the radio at all I would have only heard it in pubs and they never announce who the singer was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrd25gjyDhE I love levels but this is my fav avicii tune I'm 47 love this music rip tim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hiphophead2003

RIP, gone way too young. Levels, The Nights, Addicted To You etc were bangers and I don't even listen to EDM anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A funny one.

This thread got me listening to two or three of his songs (the stuff posted here) and my daughter comes into the room and asked did I bump my head at Judo ~ because I'm normally listening to Ramstein, Metallica, Sabbath etc lol

Good tunes, but I haven't done the whole Ibiza thing in about 15 years or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Yeah, really sad that a druggie ends his life so soon.....Mods handing out bans for making jokes about same. Verne Troyer dies today and there are mods making jokes about it on that thread and not a problem!
    Mod-Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Yeah, really sad that a druggie ends his life so soon.....Mods handing out bans for making jokes about same. Verne Troyer dies today and there are mods making jokes about it on that thread and not a problem!
    lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I actually didn’t know his name although I’ve heard some of those songs or tunes. Now that I know they were his I realise the musical loss here.

A talented man. May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not trying to be edgy, but when i heard about his death, I was also saying to myself, who was he. I listened to a few of his songs to see if i recognised them, I didn't. The songs i heard were not to my liking either. Although I appreciate a lot of people did like his music. So you're left wondering about what might have been, when an artist dies so young.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dsaint1 wrote: »

Yeah, really sad that a druggie ends his life so soon....

Between 2012 and 2016, Avicii made nearly $90 million from his music.

Started touring when he was 18

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Not a massive fan of the genre, but I enjoyed his tracks Levels, I Could Be The One, and Silhouettes. The stuff he released after that not so much.

Too young for any person to be taken from the world. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

While this is funny, there is a serious element there in the message about young kids, pressure, and the challenges on your mental health.

I hope we all start talking about these issues more, especially when it comes to our young people, those alone, and those struggling to handle it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

myshirt wrote: »
    While this is funny, there is a serious element there in the message about young kids, pressure, and the challenges on your mental health.

I hope we all start talking about these issues more, especially when it comes to our young people, those alone, and those struggling to handle it all.

That is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

How on earth is it possible to avoid Avicii? You’d have to set all your radios to Grandad’s Golden Oldies FM, block all music stations on your tv, never go to a pub or nightclub.

In 50 years’ time people will still be listening to Avicii. And at that time all the pretentious knobs now will be telling their grandchildren about the first time they heard Levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd be familiar enough with Wake Me Up but that's about it, I wouldn't really be a fan of modern club music or even the man himself but to die at 28 is just heartbreaking for his family and friends.

Hopefully they, and his fans, will take comfort in the fact that he will live on through his music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Debtocracy wrote: »
    How on earth is it possible to avoid Avicii? You’d have to set all your radios to Grandad’s Golden Oldies FM, block all music stations on your tv, never go to a pub or nightclub.

In 50 years’ time people will still be listening to Avicii. And at that time all the pretentious knobs now will be telling their grandchildren about the first time they heard Levels.

Quite easily actually. Whilst I have heard of the person Avicii, before I heard of his death I would not be able to tell you one track of his, nor would I able able to identify one if it came on the radio.

If a dancey track came on the radio, I might turn it up, or if in a night club, I might hit the floor, but it's not my usual genre. Not all pubs and radios play dance or house as well, and have rarely heard the DJ in a club, announce the singer/producer of a track they just played.

Anyway, credit and respect where it's due, and RIP to the man.

Advertisement