Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Avicii (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Dude is the same age as me and he's dead. Very strange feeling

Born in 1989! :eek: That drives home his youth.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Quite sad to see some of the replies here.

A 28 year old man is dead. The man achieved a huge amount in his time and will be remembered on a worldwide basis for what he brought to the world.

RIP Avicii.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

God I feel old and out of touch, never heard of this lad but always terrible to hear of someone so young pass. Age 28 has taken many a great artist.

Same here, although I had heard the Wake Me Up song.
    I actually thought it was a Mumford and Sons number.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Very sad news indeed.

Why is this still in AH though? AH is known for the "take the piss, not serious, jokey" part of Boards, no?

Mods handing out bans but not moving the thread thus leaving it open to idiots looking for laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Loved his tracks, sad to hear someone so young has died

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

never heard of the guy

but seems like a cautionary tale of excess partying

RIP mate

dd972 wrote: »
    If it's what I suspect it is, then it's pretty sad that someone with millions in the bank wasn't able to think about taking serious time out for rest and to review their situation, that said the human mind being what it is can be distorted by depression to the extent that no amount of money or acclaim can pull it back from 'the brink' or what feels like 'the brink' to some people, never heard of him until today but a shame, RIP.

Having millions in the bank won't necessarily help a person who is in an extremely dark place. Money and acclaim does not equal good mental health.

squawker wrote: »
    never heard of the guy

but seems like a cautionary tale of excess partying

RIP mate

Partying? Popping a pill you mean? You'll probably get a ban for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Partying? Popping a pill you mean? You'll probably get a ban for this...

huh? partying as in anything that goes with it and seemed to be depression included in the mix

you are the person that mentioned pills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Why is this still in AH though? AH is known for the "take the piss, not serious, jokey" part of Boards, no?

Mods handing out bans but not moving the thread thus leaving it open to idiots looking for laughs.

Where would you move it to either, though? RIP threads in AH are pretty common for both major and minor celebs. Most of them just peter out after a week, as this one will too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Very sad news indeed.

heres a post from Beasty two and a half years ago on the issue

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97332839

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Your health is your wealth. I didn't really appreciate his music, wouldn't have it on repeat, once was enough but he sounded shy and nice, it's a pity.

squawker wrote: »
    huh? partying as in anything that goes with it and seemed to be depression included in the mix

you are the person that mentioned pills

No, I'm mentioning the person that got banned for mentioning "pill" ... read the full thread!

Noveight wrote: »
    Where would you move it to either, though? RIP threads in AH are pretty common for both major and minor celebs. Most of them just peter out after a week, as this one will too.

Ehh, I dunno....AH is "social and fun". You think it fits in here?

Ehh, I dunno....AH is "social and fun". You think it fits in here?

Yes. I'd say 9 out of 10 celebrity death threads are in AH and I believe they're well placed here.

You can request a new forum especially for them if you think otherwise, of course. Won't be derailing this further.

Noveight wrote: »
    Yes. I'd say 9 out of 10 celebrity death threads are in AH and I believe they're well placed here.

You can request a new forum especially for them if you think otherwise, of course. Won't be derailing this further.

Nah, I guess I understand the meaning of "fun" and "social" more than you do.... Yay, let 's all meet up and discuss a fun topic....let's say "death", yeah, that sounds like "fun"!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

As I've said 28 is no age to die. He might not have produced music that was to your taste or you might want to have been seen as edgy by saying "who" when this original post was started but think of his family and friends who it makes no difference if he made millions because that's never going to bring him back to life no matter how much they wish it would. There's parents going through the unenviable task of burying their child and his siblings not going to have him grow old with the way it should have been. If he was your family or friend would you want people to write what you have online this evening? Cop on FFS and have some humanity about you.

This was another great tune of his. Only when looking back over his songs do you realise he's never been far from the charts since Levels which was 2011.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1360
    Nah, I guess I understand the meaning of "fun" and "social" more than you do.... Yay, let 's all meet up and discuss a fun topic....let's say "death", yeah, that sounds like "fun"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Summer 2014. I had True permanently embedded in the CD player of the van. Every second weekend I was off work and I'd have it on driving the 3 hours to my girlfriends place. Wed still have it on while we spent the weekend driving all over Scotland going to new places, stopping in the most random little towns for food, looking for somewhere to have sex in private.
    I had boat loads of money, freedom, great weather and banging tunes.
    It was the first time in my life I felt young, like i finally truly experienced youth without the bull**** of being a teenager and the music played a huge part in making that atmosphere.

I don't normally care about celebrity deaths but its hard not to be upset when its a person who's art meant something to you, even if it was just brainless EDM for the masses :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Same here, although I had heard the Wake Me Up song.
    I actually thought it was a Mumford and Sons number.

That ultimately became Avicii's signature contribution to the evolution of recent music - he was more or less the first person (or at least the first person commercially successful at it) to mix electronic dance elements with country-esque acoustic guitar and piano playing. Some of his songs could easily be mistaken for acoustic rock/pop a la Mumford until you get to the chorus and the expansive synths, sidechained drums and uplifter ("whooooosh") sounds are slowly faded in for the buildup.

Here's a classic Avicii example:

Never knew that was the name of the DJ behind all these great songs. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Very sad, 28 is so young.

Interesting he should pass the same week as Big Tom. In some ways both men were similar. Both quiet & humble. Both purveyors of hokey country schmaltz merged with tepid electric/electronic grooves producing nice radio friendly gloop. Both were important acts for Irish youth culture of their day.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Very sad, 28 is so young.

Interesting he should pass the same week as Big Tom. In some ways both men were similar. Both quiet & humble. Both purveyors of hokey country schmaltz merged with tepid electric/electronic grooves producing nice radio friendly gloop. Both were important acts for Irish youth culture of their day.

RIP

except one was famous worldwide and died very young. their music isn't actually similar at all, either.

wasn't a fan of his but it's still very sad. have a feeling it's suicide. am aware of the health issues but as a previous poster said it's rare for even hardcore drinkers to die from an alcoholic related health issue so young, and pill deaths are relatively rare also. much more common for people with alcohol issues to harm themselves either while drinking, or just because many alcoholics suffer from depression as well. i remember hearing years ago that sweden had a high suicide rate but a quick google shows that's not true. anyway, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It may be rare for people to die directly from alcoholism at his age, but people may not be aware that he is confirmed to have suffered from acute pancreatitis in the run up to his retirement from touring, and there was an unconfirmed rumour doing the rounds for the last two years that in fact he had pancreatic cancer - the same illness if I'm not mistaken which ultimately claimed the life of Brian Lenihan. So he wasn't just your average binge drinker, he had genuine and very serious health scares prior to this and may have been suffering from an unpublicised terminal illness related to it.

Incredibly sad one way or another, but it would at least be somewhat less bleak if it turns out to have been complications from his substance issues as opposed to suicide. Based on the statements from his agent and his family, I suspect we may not actually hear any details for quite some time either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

am aware of the health issues but as a previous poster said it's rare for even hardcore drinkers to die from an alcoholic related health issue so young, and pill deaths are relatively rare also.

Amy Winehouse? Jim Morrison? Fwiw, and I know it's a stereotype, Scandinavian boozehounds do seem to hit the stage of piling the spirits into themselves alone earlier than other nationalities who take longer making the transition from social drinker to problem drinker to alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's possible to do yourself with drink young if you massively abuse it.

Keith Moon of the Moon didn't take his first drink until 19 and was dead by 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

We've come a long way since that day
    And we will never look back, at the faded silhouette

I love these lines. When my fiancée and I were doing things long distance (Ireland to NL), I may have used them in a letter to describe how she could let me move on from some hang-ups of mine.

The guy was only 2 years older than me, crazy to hear that he died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

sabat wrote: »
    Amy Winehouse? Jim Morrison? Fwiw, and I know it's a stereotype, Scandinavian boozehounds do seem to hit the stage of piling the spirits into themselves alone earlier than other nationalities who take longer making the transition from social drinker to problem drinker to alcoholic.

Ah here they were on all sorts including heroin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

wasn't a fan of his but it's still very sad. have a feeling it's suicide. am aware of the health issues but as a previous poster said it's rare for even hardcore drinkers to die from an alcoholic related health issue so young, and pill deaths are relatively rare also. much more common for people with alcohol issues to harm themselves either while drinking, or just because many alcoholics suffer from depression as well. i remember hearing years ago that sweden had a high suicide rate but a quick google shows that's not true. anyway, RIP

No offence but you have no credible information to back this so it's just absolute speculation wrt the last moments of someone's life.

Advertisement