Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Avicii (Mod warning in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm an electronic music fan, but not particularly a fan of Avicii. I can, however, recognise that he had a talent for catchy hooks, and put in an awful lot of time to working and touring.

The life of a touring DJ/producer looks to be a hard one, both on mental and physical health. The constant travelling, different time zones, lonely hotel rooms, late nights, expected to be "up for it" at all times, access to all sorts of drugs (including alcohol), all play on your health.

I know a number of DJs and producers that have had to take time off for their own well being. And a number have spoken about it.

The Resident Advisor Between the Beats series speaks with a number of them about what people go through, and I link to this one in particular, because Danilo is a pure gent, and all round nice guy, and his knowledge of all kinds of music is phenomenal. He had to take some time off for anxiety, but before your write off "anxiety, so what?" have a listen to him.

So yeah, RIP Avicii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Debtocracy wrote: »
    How on earth is it possible to avoid Avicii? You’d have to set all your radios to Grandad’s Golden Oldies FM, block all music stations on your tv, never go to a pub or nightclub.

In 50 years’ time people will still be listening to Avicii. And at that time all the pretentious knobs now will be telling their grandchildren about the first time they heard Levels.

Or are over the age of 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How on earth is it possible to avoid Avicii? You’d have to set all your radios to Grandad’s Golden Oldies FM, block all music stations on your tv, never go to a pub or nightclub.

In 50 years’ time people will still be listening to Avicii. And at that time all the pretentious knobs now will be telling their grandchildren about the first time they heard Levels.

There is a whole world of music outside of dance-house and easy listening, you know!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I download the genres of music I like. I use Spotify. I go to bars that don't blast music or play the music I like when I do want music. I don't listen to radio anywhere except for talkshows or podcast. It's ipod or phone hooked up in the car or in the house.

Honestly I have never heard of him. And I've played the videos people keep posting of his popular songs. And none sound familiar. Nothing to do with being pretentious. These days you have control over what you're exposed to due to the choice available. At the same time, I've no need to be asking who he was on a forum. I'd just look it up myself if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

cournioni wrote: »
    Not a massive fan of the genre, but I enjoyed his tracks Levels, I Could Be The One, and Silhouettes. The stuff he released after that not so much.

Too young for any person to be taken from the world. Sad.

Interesting, it sounds like you're alluding to being more a fan of traditional pure electronic dance, while not enjoying the fusing of electronic and acoustic, country-esque instrumentation together which was prominent in his later music.

Apparently when he debuted Wake Me Up and Hey Brother in Ibiza, some people actually booed :D It's a funny one for me since the first time I heard those songs it just felt like a very natural progression, like "holy sh!t why hasn't anyone thought of this before?" - but I can understand how it wouldn't suit everyone's tastes, a bit like if Bob Dylan decided to throw some ridiculously distorted heavy metal-esque guitars into his songs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

I'll just leave this here

Good spot. Makes sense Leo was a fan. Avicii was part of that post 2008 pop culture trend (Adele, Mumford & Sons, Florence, Swift, Sheeran etc) which chimed with the political acceptance of the status quo of Neoliberal failure "we are all in this together", "we all partied". TINA & competency in politics, realness & faux authenticity in pop. A sort of Torified pop culture.

Interestingly that's were my Big Tom/Avicii analogy breaks down. The Showband scene funnily enough had a quaint subversiveness to it. The heady mix of youth, sex, electricity into Catholic FF/FG Ireland was something new, challenging.

Maybe Big Tom & Avicii's passing this week gives us a little glimpse at the country. We still listen to the same music but perhaps have become a little bit more Conservative.

Look at this video from Stockholm.

I'll probably get slaughtered here for saying this but this reminds me of Dolores.

I am not comparing them in any way when it comes to music, but many of us grieved her loss via her music and the Swedes are doing the exact same thing in their own unique way with Tim. Leave them at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

My 11 year old son had a chat with me in the car about Aviici dying. "It's like how you were with Prince", he told me.

The ability to talk is slowly returning to me.

Subacio wrote: »
    My 11 year old son had a chat with me in the car about Aviici dying. "It's like how you were with Prince", he told me.

The ability to talk is slowly returning to me.

I feel your pain, I've been completely numb all weekend. I was in Krystle/Diceys last night which was one of the first two nightclubs (along with The Village, or what is now Opium) in Dublin to play Avicii's music. It was all the way back in 2011, and almost nobody outside what was then the relatively small dance scene had heard of him. Last night they served up an epic playlist of his stuff. I thought I'd enjoy it as a send-off since his music was the unofficial national anthem of that club from around 2012 until at least 2015 - but in all honesty for the first time in my life I couldn't wait for the night to end, so I could come home and bawl my eyes out.

This is completely out of character for me, I honestly don't think I've ever been affected like this by the death of someone I didn't personally know before. I've certainly never shed a tear over someone who wasn't a personal friend and I was up half the night once I got home replaying his playlist and sobbing like a feckin' eejit.

According to his record label's executive, he'd been working on "some of his best music" for the upcoming album and they're going to talk to the family and among themselves about whether it should be released posthumously, "if they feel it's what Tim would have wanted" - seems like a foregone conclusion that it will be released if that's the angle they're thinking about it from. Feels like very, very cold comfort right now but maybe a year from now when the pain has faded, Avicii can serenade us all summer long one last, glorious time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Levels came on in the club I was in the other night. Hadn't heard it in a while. Thats an insanely good tune. Been playing it at full blast on the car stereo since.

On a side note, I think his ex-gfs posts on instagram are slightly disingenuous and reek of oppurtunistic fame seeking considering she dissed him before.

• Advertisement

So it looks like that "unreleased Avicii" album from Starkillers was actually just a publicity stunt by Starkillers - and a fairly nasty one at that.

https://www.edmsauce.com/2018/04/22/starkillers-avicii-album-allegations/

https://twitter.com/TegiOfficial/status/988197391517044736

What an unimaginable asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So the police in Oman have confirmed that there was "no criminal suspicion" regarding Avicii's tragic and untimely passing.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43866259

Or are over the age of 30.

Nonsense, I'm long over 30 as are all my friends and we would all be fans of avicii.
    I download the genres of music I like. I use Spotify. I go to bars that don't blast music or play the music I like when I do want music. I don't listen to radio anywhere except for talkshows or podcast. It's ipod or phone hooked up in the car or in the house.

Honestly I have never heard of him. And I've played the videos people keep posting of his popular songs. And none sound familiar. Nothing to do with being pretentious. These days you have control over what you're exposed to due to the choice available. At the same time, I've no need to be asking who he was on a forum. I'd just look it up myself if interested.

You would be in a very small minority though the vast majority of people listen to radio stations which play chart music along with using Spotify or listening to podcast. In fact I don't think I know a single person who doesn't listen to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Nonsense, I'm long over 30 as are all my friends and we would all be fans of avicii.

You would be in a very small minority though the vast majority of people listen to radio stations which play chart music along with using Spotify or listening to podcast. In fact I don't think I know a single person who doesn't listen to the radio.

This is it though. You and your friends have similar interests as do me and mine. I can safely say that none of my friends listen to chart radio.

If I'm listening to radio it's talk or John Creedon or maybe a bit of Nova if Ray D'Arcy is on RTE. I go elsewhere for decent music usually. It's a great that we can all be entertained all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Aviciis family have released a statement which seems to suggest that he took his own life.
    Our beloved Tim was a seeker, a fragile artistic soul searching for answers to existential questions.

An over-achieving perfectionist who travelled and worked hard at a pace that led to extreme stress.

When he stopped touring, he wanted to find a balance in life to be happy and be able to do what he loved most – music.

He really struggled with thoughts about Meaning, Life, Happiness.

He could not go on any longer.

He wanted to find peace.

Tim was not made for the business machine he found himself in; he was a sensitive guy who loved his fans but shunned the spotlight.

Tim, you will forever be loved and sadly missed.

The person you were and your music will keep your memory alive.
    We love you,

Your family

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/avicii-died-from-apparent-suicide-w519578

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Incredibly sad. Poor guy.

Does anyone else wonder if, assuming it was indeed self-inflicted, the celebrity equivalent of being "cat called" is what drove him to it? I don't know why, but I have this suspicion that he went to Oman with a bunch of friends to relax and chill out, we saw him doing just that in various photos from the trip, and maybe some paparazzi - or maybe even just a bunch of ordinary people who happened to be staying there - kept recognising him and giving him shoutouts or approaching him for autographs, photos, etc. He's been quoted as saying that being recognised everywhere would be the worst thing in the world - I can't help suspecting that this decision, if it was a decision, was the conclusion of some kind of "f*ck, I can't even escape to a far-away place like Oman to relax with a few of my close friends without having to deal with every random person knowing who I am. There's no escape."

I'm still holding out that it looked like suicide without actually being so - an overdose of pain medication or something like this which could be interpreted as either deliberate or just a tragic accident. But if he did indeed decide to check out early of his own accord, my suspicion is that this is what happened. His attempt to have a quiet getaway with his friends, and the illusion of getting to be an ordinary person for a few days, was shattered when people there recognised him just as easily as people in his native Sweden, thus making him feel like the only escape from celebrity was to exit this world altogether. :(

Does anyone else wonder if, assuming it was indeed self-inflicted, the celebrity equivalent of being "cat called" is what drove him to it? I don't know why, but I have this suspicion that he went to Oman with a bunch of friends to relax and chill out, we saw him doing just that in various photos from the trip, and maybe some paparazzi - or maybe even just a bunch of ordinary people who happened to be staying there - kept recognising him and giving him shoutouts or approaching him for autographs, photos, etc. He's been quoted as saying that being recognised everywhere would be the worst thing in the world - I can't help suspecting that this decision, if it was a decision, was the conclusion of some kind of "f*ck, I can't even escape to a far-away place like Oman to relax with a few of my close friends without having to deal with every random person knowing who I am. There's no escape."

I'm still holding out that it looked like suicide without actually being so - an overdose of pain medication or something like this which could be interpreted as either deliberate or just a tragic accident. But if he did indeed decide to check out early of his own accord, my suspicion is that this is what happened. His attempt to have a quiet getaway with his friends, and the illusion of getting to be an ordinary person for a few days, was shattered when people there recognised him just as easily as people in his native Sweden, thus making him feel like the only escape from celebrity was to exit this world altogether. :(

Well his family said that loved his fans and by all accounts was a nice guy who was happy to accommodate them.

He suffered from depression and anxiety. All the success and money in the world can't fix that. The most likely answer is it just got the better of him, the same as it has for countless others. Look at Chester bennington. Pictures and videos were released of him laughing and having fun with his family just hours or days before his suicide. You can only fake it for so long. Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well his family said that loved his fans and by all accounts was a nice guy who was happy to accommodate them.

He suffered from depression and anxiety. All the success and money in the world can't fix that. The most likely answer is it just got the better of him, the same as it has for countless others. Look at Chester bennington. Pictures and videos were released of him laughing and having fun with his family just hours or days before his suicide. You can only fake it for so long. Very sad

Also bare in mind that he had unpleasant & possibly painful medical issues that have life long consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

According to the Irish sun, He left a note.
    However after a read, I dont know where they got that source.
    Its like they made up the note part.
    Another reason to hate news papers.

I nearly didnt post this just because its advertising for the scumbags.

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/2497257/avicii-suicide-dj-killed-himself-family-confirm-as-they-say-he-wanted-to-find-balance/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

B-D-P-- wrote:
    According to the Irish sun, He left a note. However after a read, I dont know where they got that source. Its like they made up the note part. Another reason to hate news papers.

B-D-P-- wrote:
    I nearly didnt post this just because its advertising for the scumbags.

The Sun, no need to say more....

JFT96

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

now that's a really stupidest thing ive heard, yeah celebrities have it hard when it comes to being approached all the time, some hire bodyguards, some rent complete places out, but he was hardly most recognizable person, unless one was die hard fan they prob miss him on the street outside Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's sad. I'm always saddened when I see musicians (or whoever) take their life. A lot of the time, people who play music and make a career out of it are struggling with something.

Not really a fan of his kind of music, but he seemed like a decent guy that just wanted to pursue his art.

If it's any consolation to his friends, family, and fans, he has left behind a legacy that will always persevere. He left his mark.

I'm still holding out that it looked like suicide without actually being so - an overdose of pain medication or something like this which could be interpreted as either deliberate or just a tragic accident. :(

Well the method of death has now been released so I think it's safe to say that it was definitely suicide and not an accidental overdose or anything like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Having read into him a bit and seen (most of) the documentary about him (it's on Netflix), he comes across as the perfectionist workaholic. The stress of having to constantly create new stuff and perform combined with getting those damn ideas out of your head and not stopping until everyone else can hear or see exactly what you hear or see would be far more of a cause.

I honestly don't think the guy was capable of relaxing and he seems to have had an army of genuine friends trying to get him to do so.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

It must be hard to wind down after that type of work
    Didn't Fatboy slim have similar problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yeah, I heard that about Norman Cook..... Everything from the pace of life, the lifestyle (drugs and alcohol), the amazing highs and the crushing lows, the ‘hanger-ons’...... can be a catalyst for self destruction.

I’m still in disbelief about the Avicii tbh. I thought once he quit touring, that everything appeared to be working out for him, on his terms, for the first time in his career. Very sad for his family especially.... I wonder how much anyone was in the loop with regards to his mental state. I watched his documentary today, and noted that when he was on hiatus for 8 months back in 2015, he engaged with therapy..... still though, I wonder did he have a substantial support system around him following that time, given how vulnerable he appeared to come across in the documentary....

Article on Rolling Stones a few days ago is insightful - https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-aviciis-final-days-w519621

And way back when, he used to communicate with fans, etc via Quora, which some Reddit users recently unearthed - https://www.reddit.com/r/avicii/comments/8g1zt5/tims_quoracom_posts/

He appeared to quite interested in philosophy and seeking meaning from life and fearful of mortality.

I am his age and tbh, I think he was ‘discovered’ and hit the spotlight too soon. He basically was a superstar at 18, shortly after leaving secondary school....his former manger even said that he never got a chance to develop and mature as a person.

I also think he was surrounded by many unsavourary types (aforementioned manager included), who were riding on his coat tails, banking on his talent, with complete disregard for his wellbeing. That’s why I find it surprising that his immediate family weren’t really around during the times he became sick.... or didn’t intervene for his best interests.

He sadly will be remembered as a cautionary tale for an industry that seems to be all about having a good time and partying....but harbours a dark underbelly.....

From the outset, he seemed to have it all - the fame, success, looks and money, but yet it was all smoke and mirrors. Curated images are not always the reality for someone who is battling their inner demons.

(That’s my two cents anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I read up on his confirmed suicide a while ago. It's just so sad for his family and big circle of friends to go through this news. His lifestyle of being in the limelight far too often with very little time to look after himself or by being with his friends was very critical to him in maintaining himself to be a healthy & happy young man. He could have achieved so much more in his career; but the pressure he was under throughout his whole life shows us that doing everything that people ask for is not good when dealing with your mental health. People do need to take time out sometimes to allow themselves become better at what they do later in life.

There have been artists in this industry from recent years that have taken breaks from their careers at their own discretion to allow themselves to get away from the limelight for a while primarily for health reasons. Two examples that I can think of in this case is Niall Horan & Justin Bieber. Niall Horan had suffered from acid reflux for a while when was away with 1D. Justin Bieber suffered worsening stress while doing one of his major concert tours from probably last year. This has worked very well for them since they returned to working in their own music careers. Avicii very rarely ever got that chance of taking long periods of time out because his health on most occasions had taken took a huge toll on his personal life & music career in the end.

He had a very bright musical career ahead of him. It is so desperately sad to hear that he had to go out in this way. His family will probably find a lot of solace in that his career had produced so much success for him and made millions of people happy through his music. But there are people in this world who do ask for too much to increase their egos for their own personal good. People need to take a step back to look after their health & well being in the long term to avoid that problem.

I read up on his confirmed suicide a while ago. It's just so sad for his family and big circle of friends to go through this news. His lifestyle of being in the limelight far too often with very little time to look after himself or by being with his friends was very critical to him in maintaining himself to be a healthy & happy young man. He could have achieved so much more in his career; but the pressure he was under throughout his whole life shows us that doing everything that people ask for is not good when dealing with your mental health. People do need to take time out sometimes to allow themselves become better at what they do later in life.

There have been artists in this industry from recent years that have taken breaks from their careers at their own discretion to allow themselves to get away from the limelight for a while primarily for health reasons. Two examples that I can think of in this case is Niall Horan & Justin Bieber. Niall Horan had suffered from acid reflux for a while when was away with 1D. Justin Bieber suffered worsening stress while doing one of his major concert tours from probably last year. This has worked very well for them since they returned to working in their own music careers. Avicii very rarely ever got that chance of taking long periods of time out because his health on most occasions had taken took a huge toll on his personal life & music career in the end. He had a very bright musical career ahead of him. It is so desperately sad to hear that he had to go out in this way.

Yes, it so sad. He must have been in a desperate state to do it the way he did. Just awful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hiphophead2003

Wow, so it really was suicide? That sucks.

Advertisement