Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Avicii (Mod warning in op)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Poor lad. Must've been in an unimaginably awful place to have died in the way he did.

It's sad that the warning signs were there for a significant time before he died. The substance abuse, health issues, retirement from touring, he clearly was a guy that needed rehabilitation. I'd say if you're suffering from mental health issues, being famous and being a DJ is going to multiply that times ten because your lifestyle and sleep and healthy habits are going to be totally out of wack.

Must be hard to be his family and friends and to know that his death was totally preventable if he had gotten the help that he needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Posters on reddit thread saying that despite his upbeat songs, his lyrics had a different story....Wake me up when it’s all over (one of the most infamous ones for example). Also that he was quite pensive about his own mortality

From the Quora link I put up in my last post (Nov 2015):
    Who is Avicii’s favourite philosopher?

A couple of years ago I wouldn’t have had any problems answering this question but I’m astounded at how confused I feel about this question right now. My first instinctual answer when I saw this was Hermann Hesse - but my confusion set in when I started thinking about what constitutes being a philosopher. In terms of adapting philosophy’s there was a radical shift in my own understanding, or concept rather, of reality after reading Siddharta - which will always be a very fond memory for me.

I guess, to me, Siddhartha acted as philosophy disguised as fiction and coming from a very cynical and far from “spiritual” mindset it really helped me answer a lot of questions about myself and my purpose - but more importantly it helped me find the right questions to ask myself, helped me pin-point what Ive really wanted to know. For instance, “What happens after I die?” was a question I used to ask myself a lot because I was afraid of dying, now I rarely think about it anymore but if I do the question would now rather be “Why am I afraid to die?”; what exactly is it about non-existence that scares me so much? After all no matter how much I try to tell myself otherwise Im gonna find out when I do die either way - whats the rush? Whats the point of making the life I do have harder and more stressful by worrying about something inevitable, esp when whatever happens there’s no benefit to knowing in advance? Whats the point of on some subconscious level entertaining the idea of escaping death, or escaping “not existing as i know” rather?
    Fear of death is just one of countless examples of how Siddhartha helped me approach my own questioning in another way thats more in line with what Im actually feeling and wondering. It helped me watch my own thought process and more than anything it has helped me be honest to myself when its been the hardest. That’s why it was a catalyst for a radical shift in my perception of reality and purpose and therefor whatever Hesse’s intentions with his work was I personally consider it very philosophical and insightful!

As ginandtonicsky says above, it appears that all the warning signs were there in different ways....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Poor lad. Must've been in an unimaginably awful place to have died in the way he did.

It's sad that the warning signs were there for a significant time before he died. The substance abuse, health issues, retirement from touring, he clearly was a guy that needed rehabilitation. I'd say if you're suffering from mental health issues, being famous and being a DJ is going to multiply that times ten because your lifestyle and sleep and healthy habits are going to be totally out of wack.

Must be hard to be his family and friends and to know that his death was totally preventable if he had gotten the help that he needed.

In fairness we don't know what his family may have tried to do to help him over the years and whether the help was accepted. One of them, I think his brother, got straight on a plane to Oman after speaking to him on the phone and realising he was in a bad way. Unfortunately he arrived too late. It sounds like a family who were well aware of his issues and did care enough to try and help and to try and get him out of that lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here is my very amateur tribute to Avicii.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Posters on reddit thread saying that despite his upbeat songs, his lyrics had a different story....Wake me up when it’s all over (one of the most infamous ones for example). Also that he was quite pensive about his own mortality

From the Quora link I put up in my last post (Nov 2015):

As ginandtonicsky says above, it appears that all the warning signs were there in different ways....

Absolutely spot on regarding his lyrics, they're incredibly bittersweet which is probably part of why they form emotional connections with people relating to explicitly emotional things - many have said over the last week that Avicii's songs weren't just songs, it was like "that song is my first breakup, that one is graduation night, that one was our best friend's going away party" etc. Waiting For Love, The Nights, and obviously Wake Me Up are particularly haunting considering how things have turned out. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Absolutely spot on regarding his lyrics, they're incredibly bittersweet which is probably part of why they form emotional connections with people relating to explicitly emotional things - many have said over the last week that Avicii's songs weren't just songs, it was like "that song is my first breakup, that one is graduation night, that one was our best friend's going away party" etc. Waiting For Love, The Nights, and obviously Wake Me Up are particularly haunting considering how things have turned out. :(

I wonder did he actually write the lyrics or was he the dj that put a beat behind it.
    Like its not him singing isit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I wonder did he actually write the lyrics or was he the dj that put a beat behind it.
    Like its not him singing isit?

He wrote all the lyrics and the melody, but collaborated with different singers (Robbie Williams, Aloe Blacc, Chris martin, etc.) or musicians (Nile Rodgers, Guetta, guitarist from incubus, etc.) for various tracks. He sang the verses on only one of his songs alongside Chris Martin.

Advertisement