Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"RIPs only" notices

Options
  • 10-10-2015 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised that the normal practice of putting a mod notice saying "RIPs only in this thread" has not been followed in two recent threads in which Travellers were involved: this morning's tragic fire and the death of a baby in a car accident. Why is this, please?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'm surprised that the normal practice of putting a mod notice saying "RIPs only in this thread" has not been followed in two recent threads in which Travellers were involved: this morning's tragic fire and the death of a baby in a car accident. Why is this, please?

I can't remember ever seeing a mod notice like that. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I could be wrong but I don't think that's standard practice across the site??
    I know I started a thread about Cathriona White RIP in celebrity & showbiz last week and I don't think a note was added there.
    I started one about Cilla Black also and don't recall a note being added.

It's very sad about all those people in the fire. What a tragedy. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

What'd be the point? It's a discussion website, not a book of condolences. It's probably more to do with discussing the circumstances surrounding the death, than the death itself. Any trolls or crass opinions will get dealt with anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I can't remember ever seeing a mod notice like that. :confused:

I've seen them often enough to consider them the site norm, but I don't read all threads about deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Those kind of Moderator notes in the OP are usually only added to a thread if posters are just posting for no other reason other than to be purposely disrespectful or cause trouble. If there aren't a significant number of reported posts from a thread, it's not likely to come to a Moderators attention, unless of course they're already reading and contributing to the thread themselves.

• Advertisement

Actually, I think the phrasing is normally "Condolences only".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've seen them often enough to consider them the site norm, but I don't read all threads about deaths.

I have never seen them nor been informed that it was a site norm. Can you provide an example? Was it forum specific?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I've never seen one myself. What would be the point in any case?

Although it would be typical of the online grief-junkie society we live in. Type 3 letters and then get back to reading about what someone had for dinner.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think this was the last Feedback thread covering this

The final post was:
    LoLth wrote: »
    There are two very distinct forms of threads:

The Condolence thread where posters show their appreciation of the deceased and offer condolences to the relatives/family/friends.

Discussion thread where users discuss the life and work or the circumstances of death of the deceased.

Two completely different animals imho. The problem was, some posters were havign trouble telling the difference between the two and were posting negative comments among the "RIP" posts which only served to antagonise the posters (understandably) and kicked off flame wars IN the condolence thread.

Admin reaction was, lets not be dicks and troll condolence threads. Mod reaction was, thats a bit unfair to users who have to read praise for people they probably had serious issue with.

compromise was:
    Condolence threads either get moved to the condolences forum or the mods police it to avoid trolls/muppetry.

Death discussion threads are the remit of the mods.

The result: AH now has death discussion threads and condolences should be made elsewhere. So, to answer the example above,

Maggie Thatcher pops her clogs and a condolence thread is started in AH with teh title Condolence thread: Margaret Thatcher RIP > then the users have enough cop and enough common courtesy to know NOT to troll it and vent their ire but isntead bring it to the mod's attention and it gets moved to the book of condolences forum.

Someone else posts a thread with the title "Margaret Thatcher died this morning" and links to a newspaper article on her life and works then the rest of the users can offer their OPINIONS. They cannot hurl abuse or be dicks but they can express their opinion that maybe the death was not a bad thing or disagree with some aspect of the story or something that another user posted. Similarly, they cannot pull quotes from the Condolence thread and use them to start a debate or as a platform for a rant.

and thats about it really. simples!

as for offensive jokes: thats a very very grey area. exactly what is offensive, whats going too far? Who decides? What do we do if a user thinks its perfectly fine but the mods dont? or another user feels its too far and the mods think its within the bounds of decency? Its hugely tricky. I'll admit, I know that the house party joke in the thread about the taliban beheadings was wrong...but I still smiled and I dont think it was offensive to the public in general (as in being indecent) to to any religion (being blasphemous), it was insensitive and I feel bad for laughing. So, the best thing to do is to keep teh tw oseperate. Sensitive well wishing --> condolence threads , banter and discussion --> discussion threads and never the twain shall meet.
    It seems to me the current AH thread is most definitely not a "RIP" or "condolence" thread but a discussion of the circumstances of this tragic incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Wasn't there an actual Condolences forum? I'm not sure I've seen it used much though ...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wasn't there an actual Condolences forum? I'm not sure I've seen it used much though ...
    Here

Thanks, Beasty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm mainly only focussed on the cycling forum on this site, but I'd say we are a bit more inclined to make such notices on the cycling forum because there seems to be a greater chance of people assigning blame/guilt when it isn't necessary on our forum.

In my personal opinion, when the discussion is going in that direction, an RIPs only notice is appropriate. Particularly when there's a decent chance that the family of the deceased might one day read the thread.

Advertisement