Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus! Graham Dott I still have nightmares about the most boring final I ever saw between him and Peter Ebdon, it finished near 1am With Dott winning 18-14.

That was all Ebdon IMO. Jesus, I can't stand watching him play.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brian? wrote: »
    That was all Ebdon IMO. Jesus, I can't stand watching him play.

Probably I think they were both nervous about that final in 2006. Watching Dott vs Carter at the moment and who is commentating fecking boring head Ebdon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

He does. He has everything to be an absolutely top player, except the right attitude. His shot selection can be truly awful. Takes on too many pots that are 50-60%, loses concentration and ends up breaking down far too often.

I will never understand why he didn't work with a coach like Terry Griffiths. He's young enough that if he actually worked as hard as someone like Barry Hawkis or Joe Perry he could still really challenge. He won't though, I don't get it.

When on form his break building and potting is right up there in the top bracket, it is a pity he has never fulfilled his potential. Nearing 6 years since he last won a ranking event though.

Any Red Button this year? Haven't got Eurosport and the BBC coverage seems pretty poor so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He does. He has everything to be an absolutely top player, except the right attitude. His shot selection can be truly awful. Takes on too many pots that are 50-60%, loses concentration and ends up breaking down far too often.

I will never understand why he didn't work with a coach like Terry Griffiths. He's young enough that if he actually worked as hard as someone like Barry Hawkis or Joe Perry he could still really challenge. He won't though, I don't get it.

Fair comment. Mark Allen, who has worked with Griffiths, has really come on leaps and bounds in terms of attitude the past coping of years. Maguire, sadly, just can’t seem to make that step. Pity cos the game really could have done with his talent at the top instead of in the middle of the pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Any Red Button this year? Haven't got Eurosport and the BBC coverage seems pretty poor so far.

Yeah. The red button is gone in Ireland but if youre with Sky go to add channels.

Frequency: 10.773
    Polarisation: H
    Symbol rate: 22.0
    FEC: 5/6
    Standard: DVB-S
    Modulation scheme: QPSK

And you should find "BBC RB1".

It's worth paying for the Eurosport player. You get every minute, plus on demand recordings.

they/them/theirs

Fair comment. Mark Allen, who has worked with Griffiths, has really come on leaps and bounds in terms of attitude the past coping of years. Maguire, sadly, just can’t seem to make that step. Pity cos the game really could have done with his talent at the top instead of in the middle of the pack.

Yep, Allen has come on leaps and bounds.

It's easy to forget, but it was working with Ray Reardon that turned Ronnie into a winner.

they/them/theirs

It's easy to forget, but it was working with Ray Reardon that turned Ronnie into a winner.

Certainly part of the jigsaw alright. Trump is the other guy who needs some serious direction. Not 100 per cent sure of his coaching arrangement right now but I know he regularly practices with Ronnie which I always suspect suits Ron much more than the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Stevens taking sportsmanship a bit too far there.

• Advertisement

Stevens taking sportsmanship a bit too far there.

Yep he should have left the red make the call! The replays show the ball never moved.

Alan McManus is doing a great job as a match commentator on the BBC. Hell of a lot better then Peter Ebdon.

Certainly part of the jigsaw alright. Trump is the other guy who needs some serious direction. Not 100 per cent sure of his coaching arrangement right now but I know he regularly practices with Ronnie which I always suspect suits Ron much more than the other way round.

I thought Trump was working with some old pro. Can’t remember who though. I know Ronnie does a bit of coaching with some of the Chinese guys.

they/them/theirs

Alan McManus is doing a great job as a match commentator on the BBC. Hell of a lot better then Peter Ebdon.

I’m 100% on Eurosport. Dominic Dale is the pits though.

they/them/theirs

McManus is top notch. Dunno if he still does his blog online but it’s well worth checking out if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

The Nal wrote: »
    Ronnies temperament is so good. Imagine saying that 15 years ago.

Hes smelled blood with Selby gone.

this is exactly what I was thinking, with Selby gone I think he has a great shot at this years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Ronnie is fond of Ray, but it has been Steve Peters, the sport's psychologist who has done the big work with Ronnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

I don't like McManus as a commentator. Every second shot is, "What a shot!". Joe Perry was excellent in the comms box last month.

Brae100 wrote: »
    Ronnie is fond of Ray, but it has been Steve Peters, the sport's psychologist who has done the big work with Ronnie.

Unquestionably a big factor. I think with Ronnie it’s all a consequence of being happier in himself and maturing as an individual - the odd mental meltdown notwithstanding of course. Family, his father being released, his running, general fitness, business interests, it all keeps the black clouds away and helps when it comes to form and motivation on the table imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ebdon is just as painful to listen to as he was to watch.

Brae100 wrote: »

I just meant on the snooker side, his tactical game. But yeah, Steve Peters can probably take a huge amount of credit.

they/them/theirs

Classic crucible frame there between Hawkins and Carrington. Baz tried to pot a long yellow while hampered by the green then bizarrely played safe on it when he had a decent chance to pot it in green pocket. Perfect illustration of how the world championships can scramble even the most settled of brains.

They're the type of frames you can appreciate though. Some fascinating glimpses at the kind of stuff that must go through players heads in that cauldron, Virgo and Ebdon were rightly befuddled at loads of the shot selections but it's easy when you're sitting in the booth or at home. Allen took 4 and a half minutes to play a shot in his match earlier, probably wouldnt do much for his AST that!!

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There's a rule, isn't there, about what time the last frame has to start but forget what it is. No chance they'll make it though, I'd say.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Very ropey session by both players. Carrington will be happy enough to be at least still in touch but you'd think Hawkins will play better when they come back.

• Advertisement

Advertisement