Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sligeach wrote: »
    Most naturally talented, maybe. Definitely not the greatest player.

There is only three players in the conversation and he is one of them.

A case can be made for all, personally I'd have Hendry but to say he's definitely not is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Maguire should have played on. It was only 6 points needed in snookers.

Reds were awkwardly placed with little chance of getting big colours with them. It would have dragged on, just delaying the inevitable. That sort of frame would be a head wrecker for Mags. He's an attacking player who just wants to get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Another brainfart at a time when he was actually beginning to look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

You can't really say either player has played terrific stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ronnie not firing on all cylinders but still enough to get through now surely after that last frame. Maguire blew it.

• Advertisement

Take it handy there with the wasp

Mags safety and long potting this morning has been hugely impressive. Just sabotaged himself as usual. Going to let this one slip by him it seems.

Maguire gone now I fear

Ah for God sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ronnies temperament is so good. Imagine saying that 15 years ago.

Hes smelled blood with Selby gone.

• Advertisement

Don’t see many in the bottom half to stop him, bar Ding maybe. A potential great s/f that if it happens.

The Nal wrote: »
    Ronnies temperament is so good. Imagine saying that 15 years ago.

Hes smelled blood with Selby gone.

Definitely has improved in the mental department but Maguire is so deficient in that area himself I think he very much gifted this match to Ronnie,

That's Maguire's problem, he'll play an amazing shot like that but then make stupid decisions or play a howler.

Edit: And just as I type that, end of break already. Poor shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What was Maguire thinking there?

About a pint of beer and mabye some football match he'll be watching later in the afternoon.

That's it. Maguire blew a great chance at winning this match.

Edit: Not just yet.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That’s true but then he’s been beaten by three other players the last 3 years so I still wouldn’t be getting over confident about him. Could be his best chance for No 6 that said.

Final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Delighted!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jesus! Graham Dott I still have nightmares about the most boring final I ever saw between him and Peter Ebdon, it finished near 1am With Dott winning 18-14.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Being off until Friday will suit Ronnie. Can probably go back home and start afresh. He always says he finds it a grind when being there for the full 17 days.

Graham “Pot the lot Dott” Dott. My fav ever snooker nickname and a player I like. He’s actually a more fluent player than people give him credit for I feel. AST usually comes in around 20 secs which is quite quick. Don’t see him getting past ROS but wouldn’t take him for granted either.

Interesting thing about Ronnie is his second round match is slated over 2 days rather than 3 which is a change from the norm. I don’t know what influence he has with authorities but that is a pattern that has been repeated for years. Every little bit helps him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just bought tickets to see Ronnies game at 10am Friday :D

Cannot stand Dott so hoping for a Carter comeback or Ronnie to give him a good pasting in the first session.

I thought at first it was their 1914/15 kit and that he had upped his game. Terrible killjoys.
    what a legend

DbVNeTzX4AECdUq.jpg:large

Jeez that’s a depressing interview from Maguire there. Do feel for him, tough place elite sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jeez that’s a depressing interview from Maguire there. Do feel for him, tough place elite sport.

Hes always looked a bit lazy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes always looked a bit lazy

He does. He has everything to be an absolutely top player, except the right attitude. His shot selection can be truly awful. Takes on too many pots that are 50-60%, loses concentration and ends up breaking down far too often.

I will never understand why he didn't work with a coach like Terry Griffiths. He's young enough that if he actually worked as hard as someone like Barry Hawkis or Joe Perry he could still really challenge. He won't though, I don't get it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement