Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D For Dummies: New Player Dungeon Sign Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Although in saying that in the first D&D game we played here (which I'll never fully get over) we got caught in an avalanche and Fourier (I think) rolled for me which pitched me over the edge and killed me off for the first time. Poor Elin. :(
    I lost Alantracy the flying spacecart in that same avalanche. Some memories hurt too much. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

We all lost things in that avalanche. I myself lost 2 great chances to kill Moy, along with Betty's bones, some dragon dung, a long slug in slime, a slightly warm grey ball, a small purple flower, a skull talisman, a religious encyclopaedia, a magical rite that could boost health or kill the target if it went wrong and my 2 delicious but beloved wolves. And, as I recall, my marbles but only for a minute. It was a painful time for us all and I still don't understand why we didn't just fly Alantracey up to the top of the mountain instead of letting Goodie trigger the explosion by climbing.

In fairness to Elin, she didn't die from the fall immediately, she caught a branch. It's just that no one thought to check on her. Then she fell. Then she was eaten by Zombies. Then she came back as a zombie, commanding a zombie army and unleashed a terrible evil on the world. Then she tried to attack the party. Then her head exploded. THEN she was dead. So it wasn't all just one bad dice roll in absentia. It was a whole bunch of 'em!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just a reminder to players in relation to spells (this concerns the classes of Magic User, Elf and Cleric).

You need to declare each 'morning' - or after a rest essentially - which spell you are loading for the day ahead.

As it's a beginner dungeon, we are allowing all of the magically inclined to load a requisite spell from the get go.

The rules posted at the beginning of the thread give you your allotments per level.

NOTE: Cleric and Magic User/Elf Spells are different, and clearly defined in the rulebook.

Also of note as there appears to be a bit of confusion.

There are no breath attacks able to be performed by Player Characters (PCs) - none of you are dragons :P The 'Breath Attack' mention on your character sheet has a number beside it. If a breath attack is performed on you, you are required to roll ABOVE that number to protect, or at least minimise damage against it.

Stats Rolls VS Save Rolls:

This still seems to be causing a bit of confusion for newer players so I want to clear it up a bit.

In 1E, when the DM asks you for a roll against one of your stats (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Constitution, Wisdom or Charisma) -

You need to roll UNDER OR EQUAL TO the number of your stat on the sheet generated at the beginning.

Modifiers to your stats are subtracted then if you have not done so already.

Example: Webby is asked to roll against his Dexterity. The command on rolz will be #d20-2 (the minus indicating the modifier).
    On the other hand, your stat could be low.

Eg: Stufur is asked to roll against Constitution. His Con is 6, so it has a negative modifier attached. In this case it will be #d20+1.

Saving Throws are different however.

When the DM asks you to roll to save against something (Breath Attacks, Poison or Death, Petrify or Paralyze, Wands, or Spell/Spell-Like Devices)

A player rolls a d20 (no modifiers) and need to get OVER OR EQUAL TO the number on their character sheet (although this increases as you level up).

EG: Lalwende is attacked by a dragon who breathes fire at her. The DM will ask her to roll to save against Breath Attacks - she will need to roll over or equal to the appropriate number on her sheet. Again, the command on rolz is #d20.

Ok... That's my spiel. Questions? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

If anybody likes reading Fantasy, the loading of spells in D&D comes from Jack Vance's "The Dying Earth". One of the short stories with the spell loading in the morning (it even has spell levels) is here:
    https://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/73022/2/Vance_-_The_Dying_Earth.html
    Mazirian stroked his chin. Apparently he must capture the girl himself. Later, when black night lay across the forest, he would seek through his books for spells to guard him through the unpredictable glades. They would be poignant corrosive spells, of such a nature that one would daunt the brain of an ordinary man and two render him mad. Mazirian, by dint of stringent exercise, could encompass four of the most formidable, or six of the lesser spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

Stopping for tonight. Will be around tomorrow during the day till about 5pm if people with actions want to let me know their availability. Duty calls at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Working from 3 so should be available, ie not minding the little lad

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bigdaddyliamo

Hi guys,

Just came across this thread and would love to get involved.
    Are there any spaces available in the game?

Thanks,

BDL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hi guys,

Just came across this thread and would love to get involved.
    Are there any spaces available in the game?

Thanks,

BDL

There's always room for one more! We're on a bit of a hiatus at the moment due to other games on in the forum so this is the perfect time for you to have a read of the thread, make a character and PM the details to the Dungeon Master account.

Afternoon all.

OK, couple of things :
    1. Molly, please don't invite people to play unless you're going to DM for them. Which, in this game, you're not. I've tried to rephrase that so I sound like less of a prick but I can't, and I'm at peace with it. (Hence me posting as me, not the DM, so you know who to punch).

2. BigDaddyLiamo - I'd be delighted to have you on board, however we've got 9 players right now which is about 4 or 5 more than I can handle. As long as your expectations of how the game is going to work are low, you'll be.... not pleasantly surprised... no...that's not it... wait - correct! That's the word. You'll be absolutely bang on the money! It's a learning experience for the DM team as well as the players though, so treat it like you would a haircut from a trainee, we'll all be grand.
    If you need assistance rolling a character or what have you, look back through the thread for tips or post on the Character Clinic thread in the D&D forum.

3. The Pause
    We are not paused. We're just waiting for a DM to make a move. However there was some confusion over who that DM was going to be :D

Here on Fourion Prime, we recognise the popularity of the ongoing Werewolf game and the demands it makes of it's players. We also recognise that it's not the only game in town and if you can't meet your commitments to two games, that's on you - it's unfair to ask the other players to sit around for a week waiting for you to get yourself lynched.

If you are playing Werewolf and want to be paused, say so here. Post "Pause Me until <date>"
    That doesn't mean the game will be paused, but where possible we will come up with some excuse why your character is excluded from any hazards or excitement until you're available. And yes, it will involve a rapping illithid, what's your point? Don't hate the flaya, hate the game!
    And remember, it's not the DM's responsibility to remember to unpause you. Remind us.

If you don't want to be paused state "I will stay the course!" or "And my Axe!" or ""I love carpet. I love lamp." Whatever makes you feel like you're having a moment of Braveheartian inspiration. We will endeavour to manoeuvre people into positions that allow pausers to pause while others continue.

4. Play going forward.
    I am not Necro. I don't have the availability to post as often or be around for the same kind of hours as he does. Things are going to slow down. I will post as often as I can and reserve the right to disappear for hours at a time with no notice whatsoever because someone decided to pinch their sister because they said Pusheen was fat (as happened at the weekend). Fridays are definitely out. Sundays are dicey. Every other day depends on whether or not my wife wants to talk at me. If you're ok with that, we can push on.

Bear in mind, with 10 players it's going to get a little nuts and there is no way in hell we will all be on together. We will always try to move groups on together if there's a quorum, we'll autopilot people where needed and try not to kill anyone in absentia. No promises :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

And my axe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Banjo wrote: »

I am not Necro.

You say that like it's a bad thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Im in :cool:

Am I about to die? :D

It's out of my hands. Boards.ie's policy on bullying highly emotional undead lords is very clear. Am I to take it you're in?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

1500010351258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'm in if possible please. Dunno what for but that never stopped me before.

Banjo wrote: »
    It's out of my hands. Boards.ie's policy on bullying highly emotional undead lords is very clear. Am I to take it you're in?

Yip... i didn't realise the dead who turned the living could be bullied. I just thought they could be brought to heel. Also i wana be a tank :D

OK, paused non-respondents (Molly, Duffman, Kolido) - let me know if it's a Werewolf thing or permanent as I'm not following the WW game. OG, reworked your position in Molly's pause so you're back in action. Guffy, you have the next move in Sandors tomb.

In terms of schedule, I don't really have one - I'll just respond to each post as quickly as I can as often as possible so please don't stack up too many actions at once.

Bigdaddyliamo - if you're still interested, need any help or have any questions, PM this account or ask away on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

OK, paused non-respondents (Molly, Duffman, Kolido) - let me know if it's a Werewolf thing or permanent as I'm not following the WW game. OG, reworked your position in Molly's pause so you're back in action. Guffy, you have the next move in Sandors tomb.

In terms of schedule, I don't really have one - I'll just respond to each post as quickly as I can as often as possible so please don't stack up too many actions at once.

Bigdaddyliamo - if you're still interested, need any help or have any questions, PM this account or ask away on this thread.

I will try get back into it in the next day or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Kolido wrote: »
    I will try get back into it in the next day or 2

Same as, I'll try get back aboard tomorrow and Friday! Cheers

No mad rush, figure that the WW game will keep you tied up. You'll all probably get murdered by tea time now - sorry for jinxing you :D

Thanks guys,

I’ll get a read on the thread and see about getting a character together by tomorrow.

Logging out for tonight.

BDL, let me know if you need any assistance.

Hi All,

I've added my pdf to the character page thread.

General stats are:

Eirenaios the Acolyte (M)
    Cleric

Lawful
    Level 1

Hit Points: 5
    Armor Class: 5

Abilities
    Strength: 6 Modifier:To Hit: -1, To Dam: -1 Open Doors: -1
    Dexterity: 4 Modifier:AC Mod:2, Initiative: -1, Missile Adj: -2
    Constitution:10Modifier: HP Adj: 0
    Intelligence: 7 Modifier:Add Langs: 0, Partial ability to write
    Wisdom: 11 Modifier:Save vs. Magic: 0
    Charisma: 7 Modifier:Reaction Adj: 1, Retainers: 3, Retainer Morale: 6

Saving Throws

Breath Attacks: 16
    Poison or Death: 11
    Petrify or Paralyze: 14
    Wands: 12
    Spells: 15

Other abilities: Trapper / Furrier

I look forward to dying an ignominious death shortly....lol

You get 63 ability points. Spend em all (you have 45 total for your 6 abilities)
    Boost your strength, Dex - below 9 you get penalties, above 13 you get bonuses.

Are you a pray-y priest or a punchy priest or a bit of both?

Thanks Banjo,
    I used the random generator so I'll add some boosts now.

Abilities
    Strength: 13 Modifier:To Hit: -1, To Dam: -1 Open Doors: -1
    Dexterity: 10 Modifier:AC Mod:2, Initiative: -1, Missile Adj: -2
    Constitution:10Modifier: HP Adj: 0
    Intelligence: 10 Modifier:Add Langs: 0, Partial ability to write
    Wisdom: 11 Modifier:Save vs. Magic: 0
    Charisma: 9 Modifier:Reaction Adj: 1, Retainers: 3, Retainer Morale: 6

I think that's 63 total now... :)

Will I need to work out new modifiers? I should tell you upfront that I failed Business in school so accountancy is not a strong suit!:)

**I feel a growing contempt for my parishioners....so probably a bit of both but leaning more towards the punchy kind**

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm not quite sure where I am in this, been away from it for over a week. Is it possible to get an overview of where we all are please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Read the thread from one week ago, there is already a state of play post. If you can't find it reply back and I'll look for it.

• Advertisement

Echtrae|Guffy|Just left Sandor's room
    Meera Trakos|Molly|Sealed in an Orc Warlord's throne room - on pause
    Fector Hammerchop|Duffman13|Dropped out of pause, accidentally impaling Sandor on his own sword
    Stu Pendous|Kolido|Lost in some tenebrous netherworld with his head up a magical octopus's bum
    Brutha|JasonB|Standing outside Sandor's tomb waving Holy Water around
    Stufur Evergreen|Fourier|Just had Fector shove him into Sandor, impaling Sandor on his own sword
    Aesc|OldGoat|Wandering up to Sandors tomb from the Mask Room, probably around the stairs.
    9Lives Pete |Conor222|Last seen threatening Sandor - is the one the police will blame if they investigate the apparent stabbing.
    Webby Frothfist|Nebelwerfer|South of the mask room, but heading north running away from a squeak
    Lalwende|Professor Moriarty|Just arrived in the corridor south of the mask room
    Eirenaios|bigdaddyliamo|Headed north towards the Mask Room, pushing a squeaky trolley.

Advertisement