Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D For Dummies: New Player Dungeon Sign Up Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Basically as Digi says, it's primarily for fun. You loot dungeons and put your character's life in terrible risk of maiming, death or worse (looking at you Fourier). You level up by looting dungeons for treasure and equipment.
    ...then it becomes last man standing and we all enter a fighting pit, or a barbecue pit, I can never remember, but we either fight or eat to the death, or sire offspring with eachother.
    It's a bit messy.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭The Dungeon Master

Molly, you have re entered The Hero Experience. Please fasten all entrails safely inside you until you reach the dungeon. :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So today we've had our first real brushes with death/actual deaths.

1E is absolutely lethal, especially at the lower levels as our resident DM (Fourier, not The Dungeon Master) has written at length about. A simple trap, or group of skeletons can wipe out an unprepared party.

Those of you with magic, study up on the spells in the rules and what you can stock in your minds/learn from your book. You will need them.

Any feedback on how you guys think it is going, fire at me. Happy to hear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Nebelwerfer

I have no idea what is going on or what i am doing.... but having fun...

I think i am perhaps... too active for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

No worries from me, had a laugh at your posts of myself just standing there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

You need a wheelbarrow to throw the inactices into and wheel them about the dungeon with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I have no idea what is going on or what i am doing.... but having fun...

You should give creating a character for 5E a whirl. Two, or three characters means you aren't constantly looking for updates off the one thread when others aren't around or the DM is busy.

I'm currently playing Vampire: The Masquerade, D&D 5E, DMing a 1E game, running a Codenames League...

How the absolute fcuk am I still married :pac::pac::pac:

Theres also a game of 'the ward' starting soon too, were u work in a hospital and get stressed over work and affairs and accidentally killing the old woman on the surgeory table.

And necro is going to add that to his list too.

I got recommended the Honey Heist recently, to try out something new besides board/card/video games. I ran it, unprepared and mostly ad-lib... no structure, consistency or thought behind it, but ended up being great fun... though admittedly I was jealous I was not a player.

This kind of brought me here... so very fresh still... 5E... looks super daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Really enjoying this so far, was convinced I was going to die a few days ago but the DM took pity on me I think.

A quick question though. As far as I know, I haven't yet 'learned' a spell as a Cleric. I know I'm meant to pray in the morning or something like that (and I even mentioned praying at one relatively quiet moment) but I don't know when it's morning, if it's still the same 'game' day as when we started etc.

TLDR: When do I get a spell? And what spell is it? ;)

• Advertisement

you know all the lvl 1 spells, pray to your god and load 1 for use that day. when you rest and pray to your god you can reload that or anyother of lvl1 spells. (you can load one now, ready to use, because you loaded it this morning)
    just put an ooc: note in, i loaded "this spell" this morning

see page 42 for table of cleric lvl1 spells. and the spell discriptions start on pg 20.
    the 8 spells in column 1 are ours to chose from.

Folks, for those of you unfamiliar with rolz (where we simulate our dice rolls), Banjo is currently providing a handy tutorial over there to familiarise yourself with the commands.

If you're busy now, log in later and have a look at the chat log (the semi circle on right of the screen - swipe left if on mobile to find those functions).

The Meatgrinder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm what????
    It was one (incredibly useful and informative, as well as beautifully written) comment!

So... this whole giving the 5E a whirl thing... how would one go about it and when would one get an opportunity?

Im hooked...

Where should I start?

So... this whole giving the 5E a whirl thing... how would one go about it and when would one get an opportunity?

Im hooked...

Where should I start?

Pen & paper or OOC thread for the 5E game.

At the very least, read the opening post. (post #1)

Given the upcoming WW game, would people prefer a pause from tomorrow evening or are they happy to continue?

We will be pausing for the weekend as a bare minimum.

Also can players when they get the chance state the best times for playing. If we could arrange between players and DMs the best times for availabilty that would help.

Friday seemed to work before, so running an all day session on Friday, and one other day per week if people wish is a distinct possibilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

I can normally do during the day, cant do this Friday as I'm watching the NFL draft tonight so will be out of commission for most of tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

My availability is better during work hours but can do 2 full days per week I guess.

A pause for WW would be nice but I think a lot here are not playing it so might be unfair for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Given the upcoming WW game, would people prefer a pause from tomorrow evening or are they happy to continue?

We will be pausing for the weekend as a bare minimum.

Also can players when they get the chance state the best times for playing. If we could arrange between players and DMs the best times for availabilty that would help.

Friday seemed to work before, so running an all day session on Friday, and one other day per week if people wish is a distinct possibilty.

My opinion on the pause for WW 100% depends on whether it's an anon game or not. It's too ****ing fiddly switching between accounts with an anon game.

I'm usually around during the work day and any evenings (no kids or other responsibilities to worry about thank god) so I'll fit around everyone else's schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Im happy to keep going but not playin ww tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm easy on days or times, just needs to be telegraphed in advance. Just a question on the game itself, if I'm not around for a day or so what happens my character. Missed loads of yesterday and feel like I'm letting the team down a little?

Also with Molly, if WW is anon I'm gonna find it hard to hop between accounts. I wouldn't envy Necro flipping between 3 accounts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just a question on the game itself, if I'm not around for a day or so what happens my character. Missed loads of yesterday and feel like I'm letting the team down a little?

I think if there's anything major happening that definitely requires your involvement the DM will roll on your behalf. So don't worry that you're letting the team down. That's not the case at all. Just imagine that you're floating along behind us in a daze when you're not actively playing.

Although in saying that in the first D&D game we played here (which I'll never fully get over) we got caught in an avalanche and Fourier (I think) rolled for me which pitched me over the edge and killed me off for the first time. Poor Elin. :(

duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm easy on days or times, just needs to be telegraphed in advance. Just a question on the game itself, if I'm not around for a day or so what happens my character. Missed loads of yesterday and feel like I'm letting the team down a little?

Also with Molly, if WW is anon I'm gonna find it hard to hop between accounts. I wouldn't envy Necro flipping between 3 accounts:)

Multiple incognito modes running :pac::pac: Thankfully DM does not have posting access in WW or things could get weird :eek::eek:

Don't worry about missing out on things, I think the daily running needs to be curtailed though. As Molly says, DM can roll for you if it's urgent but generally we can hold until people are ready either.

If I was to suggest Wednesdays and Fridays to people, with game thread running till 9pm each night would that be something people would be able for?

We can reduce to one day if some feel it's too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Wednesdays would work for me I tink, Fridays a bit, during the day but likely AFK from 5pm onwards

Also, I should add - I'm away from next Thursday for a month so the schedule is probably best left for Banjo and sKeith to work out with you folk till I get back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I'm okay most nights during the week 8-12. Weekend evenings are haphazard as are weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I think if there's anything major happening that definitely requires your involvement the DM will roll on your behalf. So don't worry that you're letting the team down. That's not the case at all. Just imagine that you're floating along behind us in a daze when you're not actively playing.

Although in saying that in the first D&D game we played here (which I'll never fully get over) we got caught in an avalanche and Fourier (I think) rolled for me which pitched me over the edge and killed me off for the first time. Poor Elin. :(

I was hacked to death by skeletons on my one and only game so far. An ignominious end that I'll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

conor222 wrote: »
    Wednesdays would work for me I tink, Fridays a bit, during the day but likely AFK from 5pm onwards

I'm the same, both are generally fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Wednesdays and Fridays during the day would work for me in general, I'm working but I can have Boards on in the background. I tend not to be available between 5pm-8:30pm (ah, Parenthood) and then might be available after that. Sorry I can't guarantee more that that.

Advertisement